Author Topic: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!  (Read 148568 times)

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!
« Reply #560 on: December 07, 2016, 08:17:24 AM »
Still, it looks as they are doing another leg just in Europe as far as I see on their site.  No dates yet for North America so if it's the end of it, it will be a shame not being able to get that very good setlist live.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #561 on: December 07, 2016, 09:24:57 AM »
Since Bosk1 was listening to Epica, I would think the DT opening song would be False Awakening Suite. It was kind of specifically written to be the opening theme for any DT show.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #562 on: December 07, 2016, 09:42:36 AM »
???  What would me listening to Epica have to do with False Awakening Suite?  I don't understand the connection you are making.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline V_R11

« Reply #563 on: December 07, 2016, 01:46:52 PM »
Since Bosk1 was listening to Epica, I would think the DT opening song would be False Awakening Suite. It was kind of specifically written to be the opening theme for any DT show.

Umm,no. They have opened with that. Besides,wasn't it supposed to be an unexpected opener?
Seasons change and so can I

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #564 on: December 07, 2016, 01:51:54 PM »
Yeah, I'll just say straight away that that isn't it.  I mean, they could bring it back as their intro tape.  I don't know what intro they are planning on using, as that wasn't on the list I saw.  But in terms of an actual first song they are going to play, that isn't it.  But I am still curious as to what the supposed connection between that and Epica is.  I didn't understand that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #565 on: December 07, 2016, 01:52:21 PM »
???  What would me listening to Epica have to do with False Awakening Suite?  I don't understand the connection you are making.

LOL instrumental, orchestral...what Epica does in most of their songs  ;D

Edit: A Nightmare to Remember as opener?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #566 on: December 07, 2016, 02:16:42 PM »
He must have fallen and hit his head.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #567 on: December 07, 2016, 02:17:13 PM »
I'd like to fall and hit his head.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #568 on: December 07, 2016, 02:23:30 PM »

LOL  :yarr

Anyways, not to derail anymore from this thread..

Which Images and Words song(s) are you looking forward to hear live? I am looking forward for Learning to Live....I get the goosebumps every single time I hear it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #569 on: December 07, 2016, 02:29:36 PM »
For me personally, I've seen the ones I really like (Pull Me Under, Metropolis, Wait For Sleep, and Learning To Live).  I don't care to ever see the others, for the most part, except that I think TTT would be cool live (assuming James can do it--man, that "pensive fear" verse is BRUTAL!), so I am looking forward to that, even though it's not otherwise a song I am very fond of.  I am more looking forward to some of the "...and beyond" songs.  Especially as if I was going to actually tell you guys.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #570 on: December 07, 2016, 02:32:58 PM »
TTT would be awesome. It's not really played that often.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: December 07, 2016, 02:35:17 PM »
Such a tease  :lol

I&W is my all time favorite album and LtL is my favorite DT song (which out of the 12 or so times I've seen them, they have not played), so seeing that live would really be awesome.  I can't wait for some US dates.

Offline thosava

« Reply #572 on: December 07, 2016, 02:41:57 PM »
Do we have to wait until the first show to know the setlist? That's so far away that i might just stop thinking about it for now  :lol
Are you allowed to tell us if any 20-minute type song is in the set at least?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #573 on: December 07, 2016, 02:43:23 PM »
Yes.  We are allowed to tell you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #574 on: December 07, 2016, 02:48:05 PM »

I could, but will not, comment.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #575 on: December 07, 2016, 02:48:33 PM »
Do we have to wait until the first show to know the setlist?

Yes.  Well, pretty much.  I am allowed to share some information.  But I am going to be judicious about it and not give away too much before the first show.

No.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: December 07, 2016, 02:57:14 PM »
I personally hope James alters the Images and Words performance so he can sing without straining and give a solid performance each night. Unless he's Glenn Hughes, he's not going to be able to hit that stuff night after night. To my ear, tuning down a half step will help JLB, and really enable him and the entire band to enjoy the performance, instead of trying to replicate a record made 25 years ago.

A half-step isn't much, but it gives a singer enough.

If they don't, and do it as recorded, them James needs to change some of the lines. Unlike chief bosk, I am actually more excited to hear I&W in its entirety, rather than the beyond material. Particularly if that beyond material is post-FII.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline thosava

« Reply #577 on: December 07, 2016, 03:03:38 PM »
Yes.  Well, pretty much.  I am allowed to share some information.  But I am going to be judicious about it and not give away too much before the first show.

How about which albums are represented?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #578 on: December 07, 2016, 03:18:20 PM »
I personally hope James alters the Images and Words performance so he can sing without straining and give a solid performance each night. Unless he's Glenn Hughes, he's not going to be able to hit that stuff night after night. To my ear, tuning down a half step will help JLB, and really enable him and the entire band to enjoy the performance, instead of trying to replicate a record made 25 years ago.

No downtuning.  They are playing the original arrangements.  I specifically asked that.  That isn't to say that James won't alter some of the lines a bit or will go for harmonies instead of reaching for some of the high notes.  I would expect that that will happen.  But the band isn't altering any of the arrangements or downtuning.  JP's exact quote to me was, "James is going to have to eat his Wheaties this tour." 

That said, I guess we shouldn't completely rule it out since they haven't yet even started the tour.  If during the rehearsals, it is apparent that it is just too much, or if after a few shows, he is really struggling, they could always alter the plan.  But as it stands right now, they plan to play them as written.

Unlike chief bosk, I am actually more excited to hear I&W in its entirety, rather than the beyond material. Particularly if that beyond material is post-FII.

I am looking forward to the material up-to-and-including FII, as well as post-FII. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: December 07, 2016, 03:20:31 PM »
Bummer. I mean, if James pulls it off, awesome. But the likelihood of him struggling with that record at times is high. Wish they'd help him out, but hopefully he gets the pipes in shape and lets it rip.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #580 on: December 07, 2016, 03:45:58 PM »
Do we have to wait until the first show to know the setlist? That's so far away that i might just stop thinking about it for now  :lol

Personally, I'll wait until MY show to know the setlist  ;D

Surprises at a show of a band you like are always better than knowing the setlist, it would be like going to see a movie after having read the entire sinopsys of it, ending included.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #581 on: December 07, 2016, 08:22:21 PM »
I am looking forward to the material up-to-and-including FII, as well as post-FII.

So...everything. :lol  :biggrin:

Such a tease  :lol

I&W is my all time favorite album and LtL is my favorite DT song (which out of the 12 or so times I've seen them, they have not played), so seeing that live would really be awesome.  I can't wait for some US dates.

Then I won't tell you I've seen it played live many times.  :biggrin:

For me personally, I've seen the ones I really like (Pull Me Under, Metropolis, Wait For Sleep, and Learning To Live).  I don't care to ever see the others, for the most part, except that I think TTT would be cool live (assuming James can do it--man, that "pensive fear" verse is BRUTAL!), so I am looking forward to that, even though it's not otherwise a song I am very fond of.  I am more looking forward to some of the "...and beyond" songs.  Especially as if I was going to actually tell you guys.

I'm so curious to hear how he pulls some of those notes off. I can't fault him for not being able to. The guys over 50 years old ffs.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #582 on: December 07, 2016, 08:50:30 PM »

:lol

Wait.. So you know the setlist too?..

I think you're all forgetting that to tuning down a song, JM, JR and JP would have to relearn it... and that takes some real time, even for them.. Bear in mind that they've been playing the same songs for very long time by now... especially I&W, which is their most played live album.. That little help it would provide for james it doesn't compare with the effort the rest of the guys would have to do to provide it..
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:05:15 PM by ToT-147 »
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #583 on: December 07, 2016, 09:02:36 PM »

I think you're all forgetting that to tuning down a song, JM, JR and JP would have to relearn it... and that takes some real time, even for them.. Bear in mind that they've been playing the same songs for very long time by now... specially I&W, which is their most played live album.. That little help it would provide for james it doesn't compare with the effort the rest of the guys would have to do to provide it..

None of them have to relearn the song. Guitars can be tuned down, and keyboards can be transposed.

Regardless, I'm against DT tuning down, or bands tuning down in general. I want to hear it at correct pitch.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #584 on: December 07, 2016, 09:13:18 PM »
None of them have to relearn the song. Guitars can be tuned down, and keyboards can be transposed.

Regardless, I'm against DT tuning down, or bands tuning down in general. I want to hear it at correct pitch.

Guitars can be, but the sound it's not the same.. And about keyboards, trust me that is a pain the ass having to transpose every sound you're using, and just for one tour..

But yeah, I agree about not tuning down.. Is really easy to notice and is very distracting to the show..

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #585 on: December 08, 2016, 04:43:37 AM »
How cool would it be if they started with About to crash (reprise) ? :metal

Offline w_marano

• : never give up, it's such a wonderful life :
« Reply #586 on: December 08, 2016, 04:51:57 AM »
How cool would it be if they started with About to crash (reprise) ? :metal

Love that song!  :heart

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #587 on: December 08, 2016, 07:20:12 AM »

I know at least half of it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #588 on: December 08, 2016, 08:13:50 AM »

I know at least half of it.

lol.. But we all know at least half of the set... ::)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #589 on: December 08, 2016, 08:17:42 AM »

Well...yes.  :lol  But what I was getting at was that there is really cool stuff on both sides of FII that will be getting played. 

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: December 08, 2016, 09:01:48 AM »

Well...yes.  :lol  But what I was getting at was that there is really cool stuff on both sides of FII that will be getting played.

Anything cool from FII?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #591 on: December 08, 2016, 09:04:17 AM »
Yes

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #592 on: December 08, 2016, 10:44:08 AM »
But from FII FII or demo FII? (or both?) :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #593 on: December 08, 2016, 11:17:05 AM »

99,9% it will be FII, I'd daresay Portnoy was the only one interested in the deep cuts and the alternate / demo versions.

And personally, I'm not longing to listen to Burning My Soul only for the song to stop in the middle to play the least interesting half of Hell's Kitchen.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline w_marano

• : never give up, it's such a wonderful life :
« Reply #594 on: December 08, 2016, 12:07:56 PM »

99,9% it will be FII, I'd daresay Portnoy was the only one interested in the deep cuts and the alternate / demo versions.

And personally, I'm not longing to listen to Burning My Soul only for the song to stop in the middle to play the least interesting half of Hell's Kitchen.

10000% Agreed!