Author Topic: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!  (Read 148543 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!
« Reply #525 on: December 05, 2016, 05:22:53 PM »
Finally Free would be a terrible opener. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #526 on: December 05, 2016, 08:18:48 PM »
Finally Free would be a terrible opener. 

I concur. But A Change of Seasons wouldn't be.  :metal

Offline julien_fr

« Reply #527 on: December 06, 2016, 03:07:19 AM »
But Finally Free has already been played by Mangini. BTW, I didn't like what he did at the end of the song.. Portnoy completely killed it at the end, it was HIS big moment of the Live Scenes album imho. Mangini just played some rhythmical variations and easy polyrhythms. Cmon MM you're better than that.

Did I miss the fact that the opener is a song never played by MM ?
Can bosk1 tell us if we are getting closer, or if we are completely out of it ?

I agree that MM did "ok" on that song.
He seems like a man with such humility and lack of confidence, so maybe he hesitates to do his own stuff on the songs...
For instance, listen to the Score version of Afterlife ; at the beginning, MP does some different stuff on the cymbals from how the songs has been written.
But during the 30th anniversary tour, MM did... nothing more than what's been written. I mean, c'mon this doesn't seem too hard to improvise a little bit.
Or maybe he is held back by the other members ? Dunno.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #528 on: December 06, 2016, 06:26:57 AM »
But Finally Free has already been played by Mangini. BTW, I didn't like what he did at the end of the song.. Portnoy completely killed it at the end, it was HIS big moment of the Live Scenes album imho. Mangini just played some rhythmical variations and easy polyrhythms. Cmon MM you're better than that.

He seems like a man with such humility and lack of confidence, so maybe he hesitates to do his own stuff on the songs...
For instance, listen to the Score version of Afterlife ; at the beginning, MP does some different stuff on the cymbals from how the songs has been written.
But during the 30th anniversary tour, MM did... nothing more than what's been written. I mean, c'mon this doesn't seem too hard to improvise a little bit.

He is for sure taking less space than MP. But how much can he really improvise?
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #529 on: December 06, 2016, 07:08:40 AM »

He is for sure taking less space than MP. But how much can he really improvise?

If he changes too much the parts, people start complaining that he's disrespectful to the songs. If he plays it the same way, people complain that he didn't put much effort on it. He just can't win :sad:

About Afterlife, did you hear the whole song? He changed the pattern on the guitar/keyboard unison line, playing it with the bell on his 2 rides vs the origina which is just "normal" drumming. Mangini's take sounds much better. He did something similar with Panic Attack.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #530 on: December 06, 2016, 07:13:31 AM »
My apologies if this has already been mentioned - and it probably has - but last night, the band said that they will probably bring the I&W tour to America as well. I hope they do indeed! :hefdaddy

Petrucci also said that the shows in Europe are selling really well and almost sold out in many places, so that was good to hear as well. :tup
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #531 on: December 06, 2016, 07:15:09 AM »
My apologies if this has already been mentioned - and it probably has - but last night, the band said that they will probably bring the I&W tour to America as well. I hope they do indeed! :hefdaddy

Petrucci also said that the shows in Europe are selling really well and almost sold out in many places, so that was good to hear as well. :tup

No apologies needed!
That's great on both points.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: December 06, 2016, 07:15:38 AM »

No apologies needed!
That's great on both points.

:metal I definitely am glad to hear that

Online goo-goo

« Reply #533 on: December 06, 2016, 07:28:58 AM »

Seems like there will no time to go into the studio and write/record a new album.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #534 on: December 06, 2016, 09:08:14 AM »

Stole my post lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #535 on: December 06, 2016, 10:23:53 AM »

Seems like there will no time to go into the studio and write/record a new album.

That's bad news for me and all the fans who will never get a DT concert anywhere close to them  :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: December 06, 2016, 10:32:42 AM »

Probably a relief for all involved if The Astonishing tour was poorly attended. :tup

If it's a big success - maybe they'll think about doing other classic albums too. Awake ?

Online goo-goo

« Reply #537 on: December 06, 2016, 10:50:24 AM »

Probably a relief for all involved if The Astonishing tour was poorly attended. :tup

If it's a big success - maybe they'll think about doing other classic albums too. Awake ?

I really hope they do this also for Awake.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: December 06, 2016, 11:05:50 AM »
I place my bets to The Dance of Eternity as opener. Monster track, they have never opened with it but played it recently, they opened with instrumental on TA tour too. And that Epica clue was, I think, that it's not that long track because Bosk was listening that track and right after some Epica.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #539 on: December 06, 2016, 11:06:34 AM »
I hope they do it for WDADU again and SDOIT and Octavarium and SC. And in a 10 years for ADTOE

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: December 06, 2016, 11:16:57 AM »
I hope they do it for WDADU again and SDOIT and Octavarium and SC. And in a 10 years for ADTOE

I hope they do 5, 10, 15 and 20th anniversarys of The Astonishing...

Offline krands85

« Reply #541 on: December 06, 2016, 11:23:15 AM »

Have they said whether or not more European dates will be added, or is the full list confirmed?
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #542 on: December 06, 2016, 11:34:29 AM »
There will be more dates for the spring gap.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #543 on: December 06, 2016, 11:48:20 AM »
I place my bets to The Dance of Eternity as opener. Monster track, they have never opened with it but played it recently, they opened with instrumental on TA tour too.

Well, it's only mandatory to open with Dystopian Overture and Overture 1928 back in the day given they're concept albums and the instrumental overture is right at the beginning.

Starting a show with an instrumental is anticlimatic (Where is the singer?) and robs James of some relax time in the middle of the set, sure they could play a second instrumental in the middle but I just don't see them starting with one.

About Awake being played in full... I would go in "Shut up and take my money" mode if they'd announce such a tour, but they've just played the exact half of it the tour before this. Can't see them doing just that, adding "only" the first half, in two years.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #544 on: December 06, 2016, 11:56:39 AM »
^^^^ Yeap.. All of that.. ^^^^
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #545 on: December 06, 2016, 12:06:11 PM »
No need to see them re-hash all of Awake, they just played half of it on DT12 tour. I'd much rather see something more from Octavarium and a couple songs from DT12 that didn't get played,, cough,, Bigger Picture, Behind The Veil..
 2017 sounds like it's gonna be a fun tour for them where they can relax and really ROCK!   Perhaps ditch the click track and cut loose. Bring in a monster light show.  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #546 on: December 06, 2016, 12:10:56 PM »
I'd much rather see something more from Octavarium and a couple songs from DT12 that didn't get played,, cough,, Bigger Picture, Behind The Veil.. Surrender to Reason

FTFY.. ;)
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #547 on: December 06, 2016, 12:16:11 PM »
Breaking All Illusions would be an unexpected, yet cool opener
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #548 on: December 06, 2016, 12:18:51 PM »
I somehow wouldn't be surprised if Never Enough was the opener.  :lol :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline krands85

« Reply #549 on: December 06, 2016, 12:19:33 PM »
There will be more dates for the spring gap.
:tup
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #550 on: December 06, 2016, 12:20:18 PM »
I'd much rather see something more from Octavarium and a couple songs from DT12 that didn't get played,, cough,, Bigger Picture, Behind The Veil.. Surrender to Reason

FTFY.. ;)
Yes.  Good fix.

Indeed.  It would be.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #551 on: December 06, 2016, 12:22:46 PM »
Indeed.  It would be.

Confirmed!!!! Thanks Bosk! :D

Of course I called it a week ago!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline thosava

« Reply #552 on: December 06, 2016, 12:25:05 PM »
So the opener is Breaking all Illusions, and Surrender to Reason is in the set. Or it could just be that bosk is messing with us :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #553 on: December 06, 2016, 12:29:15 PM »
I am just agreeing that it would be an unexpected, yet cool opener. 

And that one of those two songs from DT12 is in the set.  Honestly, I forget which one, so even if I wanted to tell you, I couldn't.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #554 on: December 06, 2016, 12:35:40 PM »
Oh but that solo in BTV !

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #555 on: December 06, 2016, 02:21:28 PM »
OMGOMGOMG

I hope it's Surrender to Reason!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #556 on: December 06, 2016, 03:29:44 PM »
OMGOMGOMG

The Bigger Picture would by my first choice.  :)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #557 on: December 06, 2016, 08:15:27 PM »
OMGOMGOMG

Yeahhh. It's a tough choice between those two.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #558 on: December 06, 2016, 08:31:42 PM »
OMGOMGOMG

Yeahhh. It's a tough choice between those two.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #559 on: December 06, 2016, 08:41:58 PM »