Author Topic: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!  (Read 148492 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!
« Reply #280 on: November 24, 2016, 07:43:16 AM »

If we talk about setlists in general, I think they've made GREAT setlists after MP left. The've repeated a couple songs from tour to tour, but still managed to present something interesting and balanced between old and new songs (excluding the TA tour).

Agreed.  By my count, they've played 77 different original songs live since Mangini joined the band (not counting False Awakening Suite, which they didn't actually play, or the NOMAC tracks, which also aren't actually played live), which is pretty impressive. Now, one could argue that that number is skewed in a high direction by TA having so many songs, but they played a wide variety of songs on the ADTOE tour, the Along for the Ride tour featured only two songs they played at all on the ADTOE tour, and obviously most of the current tour has been nothing but the new album.  If you've seen them on every tour in the last 5-6 years, you've gotten to see a lot of different Dream Theater songs played. :coolio

Offline thosava

« Reply #281 on: November 24, 2016, 08:11:32 AM »
I've been to two DT shows, the "self titled" tour and The Astonishing Tour. This is like a dream come true, to be able to see I&W in full as i haven't even seen a single song from that album live before. I'm hoping for both ACoS and Octavaium, but even just one of them would make me incredibly happy. Have they ever played two 20-minute songs in a single set before? (I know they've played SDOIT and Octavarium, but SDOIT is more like shorter songs that flow together). Is there even a point in hoping for both ACoS and Octavarium?

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #282 on: November 24, 2016, 08:28:24 AM »
Both To Live Forever and Eve were performed in 1993 on the Images Tour. Then they both were released in 1994 as B-Sides to singles from Awake (TLF on the Lie single, Eve on The Silent Man). To separate them at all is flawed logic. They can be considered as I&W 'era' songs or Awake 'era' songs, but saying that one is I&W and one is Awake is just wrong.

First bold line: okay, now THAT was the fact I didn't know..
Second bold line: nope, I never said that.. But let's leave there..

Yeah, exactly.  But to really get back to the main topic, let me just say that the "Images & Words" part of the set is going to be ONLY Images & Words.  To the extent ANY of those other four songs are going to be played (and I am not saying they are or are not), they would be part of the "and beyond" part of the set.  ;)

At some point I was actually about to speculate something about that to make an example.. ;D Now that you're saying it, it totally makes even more sense.. STILL, I hope they play ACoS...

By my count, they've played 77 different original songs live since Mangini joined the band (not counting False Awakening Suite, which they didn't actually play, or the NOMAC tracks, which also aren't actually played live), which is pretty impressive. Now, one could argue that that number is skewed in a high direction by TA having so many songs, but they played a wide variety of songs on the ADTOE tour, the Along for the Ride tour featured only two songs they played at all on the ADTOE tour, and obviously most of the current tour has been nothing but the new album.  If you've seen them on every tour in the last 5-6 years, you've gotten to see a lot of different Dream Theater songs played. :coolio

My count says 85 (and still not counting FAS and the NOMACs), and I'm not counting Innocence, About to Crash and TTtStA/WIMH.. So even more impressive.. I've seen them precisely all these last tours (with MP just saw them in 2010)... and that includes LaLP too!... so I can't really for ask anything else.. :azn:
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #283 on: November 24, 2016, 10:17:03 AM »
77 or 85, it's a lot. :P :lol

I know some are up in arms about the set lists not rotating from night to night anymore, but like I have said before, while it was fun to check online to see what they played every night, it could be very frustrating to see certain treats on a tour only get played at a few shows or missing out on a song you wanted to hear because it was the odd night in its rotation.  And most people do not have the money or job to where they can travel to see a bunch of shows per tour.  Think of Space Dye Vest on the Along for the Ride tour. Instead of it being a special treat that only a handful of cities got, which might have been the case 10 years ago (had it been played then), it was played at every show and fans everywhere go to see it.  :hat

Offline Lalin1974

« Reply #284 on: November 24, 2016, 03:34:49 PM »
The opening song is not one I would have picked in a million years as an "opener."  But that's all I'll say about that.

I would love to see them play The Killing Hand as I have always preferred JLBs version more than Dominici's.

Offline thosava

« Reply #285 on: November 25, 2016, 02:49:27 AM »
This would be my dream-setlist:

Set 1: (about 58 minutes)

-A Change of Seasons
-The Glass Prison
-The Gift of Music
-A New Beginning
-Moment of Betrayal
-Our New World

Set 2: (about 57 minutes)

-Pull Me Under
-Another Day
-Take the Time
-Surrounded
-Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper
-Under a Glass Moon
-Wait for Sleep
-Learning to Live

Encore: (about 24 minutes)

-Octavarium

I tried to keep it a little bit realistic by including four of the best songs from The Astonishing, and i know that the chance of them playing ACoS + Octavarium is very small. As far as i know this setlist only includes four new songs for Mike Mangini to learn (ACoS, Glass Prison, Take the Time and Octavarium).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 03:04:57 AM by thosava »

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #286 on: November 25, 2016, 03:38:49 AM »

-A Change of Seasons
-The Glass Prison
-The Gift of Music
-A New Beginning
-Moment of Betrayal
-Our New World

-Pull Me Under
-Another Day
-Take the Time
-Surrounded
-Under a Glass Moon
-Wait for Sleep
-Learning to Live

-Octavarium

I tried to keep it a little bit realistic by including four of the best songs from The Astonishing, and i know that the chance of them playing ACoS + Octavarium is very small. As far as i know this setlist only includes four new songs for Mike Mangini to learn (ACoS, Glass Prison, Take the Time and Octavarium).

Not bad, not bad... ;D :tup

Offline krands85

« Reply #287 on: November 25, 2016, 04:20:18 AM »

-A Change of Seasons
-The Glass Prison
-The Gift of Music
-A New Beginning
-Moment of Betrayal
-Our New World

-Pull Me Under
-Another Day
-Take the Time
-Surrounded
-Under a Glass Moon
-Wait for Sleep
-Learning to Live

-Octavarium

Not bad, not bad... ;D :tup
Yeah that would be phenomenal! I could do without Our New World, but other than that -  :metal :metal :coolio
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #288 on: November 25, 2016, 06:23:05 AM »
I just saw that DT are playing two consecutive nights in Trondheim, Norway. Seems an odd choice, even with an IAW night I somewhat doubt people will be running down the door.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline thosava

« Reply #289 on: November 25, 2016, 06:29:43 AM »
I just saw that DT are playing two consecutive nights in Trondheim, Norway. Seems an odd choice, even with an IAW night I somewhat doubt people will be running down the door.
Yeah, but the place they'll be playing only takes 1200 people. I thought this was a weird choice too.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #290 on: November 25, 2016, 06:35:45 AM »

Actually, both shows sold out within four minutes in Trondheim. I got lucky yesterday at the presale (special thanks to my girlfriend :heart). Row four from the stage right in the middle in a thight concert hall with a capacity of 1300.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #291 on: November 25, 2016, 07:12:42 AM »

-A Change of Seasons
-The Glass Prison
-The Gift of Music
-A New Beginning
-Moment of Betrayal
-Our New World

-Pull Me Under
-Another Day
-Take the Time
-Surrounded
-Under a Glass Moon
-Wait for Sleep
-Learning to Live

-Octavarium

How do you know there are only going to be 4 new songs for MM?  :o

Your setlist is really amazing, but, reading some of Bosk's posts here, I think they'll be adding at least one song they've never ever played live before, and all the songs on your setlist have been played live by them at some point. That makes me think more of The Bigger Picture and Surrender to Reason. Also, I think they might add at least one FII track, since it will be it's 20th anniversary  :)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline thosava

« Reply #292 on: November 25, 2016, 07:14:10 AM »
How do you know there are only going to be 4 new songs for MM?  :o

Your setlist is really amazing, but, reading some of Bosk's posts here, I think they'll be adding at least one song they've never ever played live before, and all the songs on your setlist have been played live by them at some point. That makes me think more of The Bigger Picture and Surrender to Reason. Also, I think they might add at least one FII track, since it will be it's 20th anniversary  :)

I meant that my speculative setlist only includes 4 new songs for him. And there's probably room for Surrender to Reason/The Bigger Picture in set 1 of my setlist!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #293 on: November 25, 2016, 07:33:09 AM »

There must be a big prog metal scene in Norway.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #294 on: November 25, 2016, 07:56:04 AM »

There must be a big prog metal scene in Norway.

I wouldn't worry about it, it's not a big college town.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #295 on: November 25, 2016, 08:19:38 AM »

-A Change of Seasons
-The Glass Prison
-The Gift of Music
-A New Beginning
-Moment of Betrayal
-Our New World

-Pull Me Under
-Another Day
-Take the Time
-Surrounded
-Under a Glass Moon
-Wait for Sleep
-Learning to Live

-Octavarium

If it's a 3 hour show and Images and Words is 60 minutes and the encore, be it an epic or more songs, is to be expected around 30 minutes or slightly less, I think we may get a non-I&W set of more than one hour, almost 80-90 minutes.

I see them starting with A Change of Seasons, even though I expect is as an encore... still, ACOS would work as a shock opener, Octavarium is too slow and has the climax in the very end. It's 5 minutes of intro, then a slow acoustic piece and when it really start, it's "just" the Medicate section, not exactly a great opener. It works better as the last song, just as you put it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #296 on: November 25, 2016, 08:28:40 AM »
My set :

1. The Glass Prison
2. Just Let Me Breathe
3. The Killing Hand
4. Hell's Kitchen
5. A New Beginning
6. Vacant
7. Stream of Consciousness
8. The Ministry of Lost Souls
9. The Spirit Carries On

-------------------------------

10. Images And Words
11. Don't Look Past Me (world premiere)
12. Eve
13. To Live Forever
14. Disappear

Encore

15. A Change of Seasons or Octavarium

Offline thosava

« Reply #297 on: November 25, 2016, 08:42:01 AM »
If it's a 3 hour show and Images and Words is 60 minutes and the encore, be it an epic or more songs, is to be expected around 30 minutes or slightly less, I think we may get a non-I&W set of more than one hour, almost 80-90 minutes.

I see them starting with A Change of Seasons, even though I expect is as an encore... still, ACOS would work as a shock opener, Octavarium is too slow and has the climax in the very end. It's 5 minutes of intro, then a slow acoustic piece and when it really start, it's "just" the Medicate section, not exactly a great opener. It works better as the last song, just as you put it.

Yeah you hit the nail on the head with what i was thinking with my setlist with regards to ACoS and Octavarium. I think The Astonishing show was a bit shorter than a usual Evening With, but i guess they could go back to a longer set in the 2017 tour. Let's say they include Surrender to Reason or The Bigger Picture, and a song or two from FII.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #298 on: November 25, 2016, 09:45:40 AM »
So on this first set of dates I see they have twice asked JLB to do this 3 nights in a row.  :facepalm:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #299 on: November 25, 2016, 11:28:58 AM »
I'm sure bosk1 will come in and lay this great idea to rest right away :lol, but it's high time they do Hell's Kitchen and Lines in the Sand back-to-back.  :metal

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #300 on: November 25, 2016, 11:31:22 AM »
My set :

1. The Glass Prison
2. Just Let Me Breathe
3. The Killing Hand
4. Hell's Kitchen
5. A New Beginning
6. Vacant
9. The Spirit Carries On

10. Images And Words
12. Eve
13. To Live Forever
14. Disappear

Encore

THAT is an awesome setlist. Not only did you include ACOS, but you picked the best opening song. I've listened to hundreds of bootlegs and can unequivocally say that TGP is the one that always psyches me up the most. It has that energy and, dare I say it, power. You included Eve, TLF, and DON'T LOOK PAST ME. Ffs, play the song already. The only complaint is that you included James Let Me Brie. :lol

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #301 on: November 25, 2016, 11:37:11 AM »
My set :

1. The Glass Prison
2. Just Let Me Breathe
3. The Killing Hand
4. Hell's Kitchen
5. A New Beginning
6. Vacant
9. The Spirit Carries On

10. Images And Words
12. Eve
13. To Live Forever
14. Disappear

Encore

Not going to lie, that is the "shut up and take my money" setlist!

Only thing that's missing is Raise The Knife.

Offline thosava

« Reply #302 on: November 25, 2016, 12:40:54 PM »
My set :

1. The Glass Prison
2. Just Let Me Breathe
3. The Killing Hand
4. Hell's Kitchen
5. A New Beginning
6. Vacant
9. The Spirit Carries On

10. Images And Words
12. Eve
13. To Live Forever
14. Disappear

Encore

I'm not gonna lie either, i would be pretty dissappointed if this was the set. I don't really care for tracks 2,3,4,6,11,12 and 13 at all. And tracks 7,8,9 and 14 aren't among my first choices for a set either.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #303 on: November 25, 2016, 02:00:30 PM »
So on this first set of dates I see they have twice asked JLB to do this 3 nights in a row.  :facepalm:

Three days of IAW in a row, what could possibly go wrong? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #304 on: November 25, 2016, 02:17:32 PM »
The Glass Prison is long overdue to return, but I don't think that would go with bosk1's "I didn't think I'd ever see this as the first song at a concert" statement.

Maybe they'll come out and open up with In the Name of God. :metal

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #305 on: November 25, 2016, 03:02:42 PM »
My set :

1. The Glass Prison
2. Just Let Me Breathe
3. The Killing Hand
4. Hell's Kitchen
5. A New Beginning
6. Vacant
9. The Spirit Carries On

10. Images And Words
12. Eve
13. To Live Forever
14. Disappear

Encore

16. James LaBrie funeral.

I simply can't imagine JLB could perform this setlist 3 days in a row. Setlist awesome though but I want JLB alive too.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #306 on: November 25, 2016, 03:05:15 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #307 on: November 25, 2016, 10:13:27 PM »
This is my setlist, it includes basically my favorite songs besides de set 1 of I &W.

Set one:  I & W

Second set:
A gift of music
Lines in the sand
Home
when your time has come
About to crash
In the presence of ennemies part 1
The spirit carries on
Breaking all illusions
Our new world

Encore:
Octavarium

That's a 2 hour show before the encore.  Not easy, had to cut some favorites but for me it would be a great setlist. And I have selected songs I have never witness live, only Breaking all illusions and Home I did see live. 
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #308 on: November 25, 2016, 11:12:39 PM »
I always thought it would be pretty funny if they alternated I&W songs with their supposed counterparts on ADTOE.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #309 on: November 25, 2016, 11:15:57 PM »
I always thought it would be pretty funny if they alternated I&W songs with their supposed counterparts on ADTOE.

Or mess with everyone and play ADTOE in it's entirety instead.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #310 on: November 26, 2016, 12:03:55 AM »
Haha....

So then the encores are part of the setlist? Because those songs were played tighter than hell.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #311 on: November 26, 2016, 12:11:11 AM »
Just a hunch here, but I'm wondering if they may play a deep cut from WDADU   and / or the I&W demos. Something like The Killing Hand, The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun, or even Don't Look Past Me. If that's the case, perhaps the opener is one of these older, seldom played tracks.

Bosk mentioned that they would be sticking to a certain extent with songs that Mangini has played before because of rehearsal time, and he has played To Live Forever (granted, only once or twice). Just an idea. I've had terrible luck predicting DT setlists in the past, so... :rollin

You know, JR did post a Geoshred vid that sounded like The Ones Whom To Set The Sun...

If they do play that....my god I'm doing whatever I can to see a show.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #312 on: November 26, 2016, 12:19:56 AM »
Imagine Vacant being the opener into SOC.

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #313 on: November 26, 2016, 12:35:13 AM »
They have to bring the songs down 1 step - 1 1/2 step for images and words. He could easily damage his vocal chords if he constantly tries to hit high notes that you can tell his throat doesn't want to! If they want to maintain his voice they would do that, because I've just listened to images and words and constantly felt sorry for him regarding this tour... there is no shame in lowering the key! He struggled with I&W after the food poisoning incident and that was over 20 years ago.. I would enjoy the show a lot more if the notes were more comfortable for him (Exactly what rush did)

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #314 on: November 26, 2016, 02:12:50 AM »
Clever thought. I wonder if they ever already lowered a song to make it easier for JLB?
With all respect, sincerely yours