Author Topic: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!  (Read 148329 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!
« Reply #1505 on: February 15, 2017, 06:39:00 AM »
So Iron Maiden, Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold all announced their US tours.... so when DT when DT will you announce yours?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1506 on: February 15, 2017, 10:38:14 AM »
So Iron Maiden, Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold all announced their US tours.... so when DT when DT will you announce yours?
The management is probably still dealing with the logistics of booking the venues. Not an easy task..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1507 on: February 15, 2017, 01:27:10 PM »
The management is probably still dealing with the logistics of booking the venues. Not an easy task..

I kinda wish they would show all the venues at once (I understand why not). After I saw TA last May, I wanted to share with my son - a burgeoning rocker and guitarist. I got tickets to travel about 8 hrs away and then a week later they announced our town. Reno is small, never thought they would come here. But of course, I went again....  :xbones

Offline thedrumanimal

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1508 on: February 15, 2017, 01:31:24 PM »
I posted this in the concert section and thought some bits might be interesting here, too.

I was at the concert yesterday in my hometown Hamburg at the Mehr! Theater, my 24th concert of the band. I have never seen my favorite song of the band before - A change of seasons. So I was in heaven yesterday as you can imagine. I guess about 3.000 people attented the show.

Some infos about the concert which I think are worth mentioning here, since you guys know already nearly everything about this tour.  :lol

During the outro solo of Take the time JP played a little excerpt of one of his solo songs (I am pretty sure it was, but I dont know which one...) - I guess only few people in the audience noticed.

James announced and apologized after TDEN that he was sick. I must say that I have seen many much worse concerts of him, actually we thought he nailed nearly all of the difficult passages. Even the famous F# (now F) was spot on.

The version of Metropolis with the drum solo and the unison after the bass solo for me was a highlight of the show.

James had two spots when he talked for quite a long time. I can't remember everything he said, but me and my mates were sure we have never heard him talk for such a long time before, telling a great history from the days when they were writing the album and even when he was coming down to NY to audition. Great James moment!

I am drummer myself, and I freaking love Mangini. He is incredible to see live, such an inspiration. I love MP, he was the inspiration of my young drumming days, but for the last ten years I can tell which fill he is going to play even seconds before he actually plays it. I don't get why people would call him robotic... Groove and feel has a lot to do with ghost notes for instance... he does much more of them than MP. But of course this gets buried when playing over a PA... But I dont want to start this discussion over again. I am one of those DT fans who love both, but thinks that Mangini is NOW the better fit for this band.

JP is definately lip-synching some of his vocal parts. At one point (I think it was in TDEN) he was too far away from his mic to produce what I heard...

During WFS something happend I never witnessed before: JR hit a wrong chord!!!  :omg:  :lol

All in all, I can die happily now. Nothing more on my wishlist what I HAVE to see live from DT.  ;D ;D

I recorded Metropolis in 4k, still uploading. Will post it here when it is available in full quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmeAh0-aR1Q&feature=youtu.be

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1509 on: February 15, 2017, 01:32:57 PM »
It may be a little longer.  When I talked to James about it in December, he seemed to indicate the tour would be closer to fall than summer.  So we'll see.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline thedrumanimal

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year
« Reply #1510 on: February 15, 2017, 01:34:42 PM »
One more info in addition to what I posted before:

During ONW JP played his new Majesty guitar - the Nomac edition. I don't know if he did that before.

JR obviously had technical issues with his in ears. He played with headphones for the whole concert, James made a joke about that before the JR solo.

James claimed that the JR solo is completely improvised each and every night.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 01:40:10 PM by thedrumanimal »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1511 on: February 15, 2017, 01:35:34 PM »
One more info in addition to what I posted before:

During ONW JP played his new Majesty guitar - the Nomac edition. I don't know if he did that before.
Oh, sweet!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1512 on: February 15, 2017, 01:38:09 PM »
It may be a little longer.  When I talked to James about it in December, he seemed to indicate the tour would be closer to fall than summer.  So we'll see.

It just seemed they posted the teaser for NA dates soon a long time ago.  I get it takes time, I'm not meaning to sound impatient, but bands have teased after DT teased and then released the dates before DT has.  I hope they aren't struggling to fill up the tour because I NEED to see this and is the show I am more looking forward to than the other bands I mentioned.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1513 on: February 15, 2017, 01:54:27 PM »

It just seemed they posted the teaser for NA dates soon a long time ago.  I get it takes time, I'm not meaning to sound impatient, but bands have teased after DT teased and then released the dates before DT has.  I hope they aren't struggling to fill up the tour because I NEED to see this and is the show I am more looking forward to than the other bands I mentioned.

If they're late to the planning game compared to all these similar acts, they may be having a difficult time working a decent schedule around everyone else's dates.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1514 on: February 15, 2017, 02:25:22 PM »
Anyone from Long Island: can you guess where Dream Theater will play when they come to New York? Do they ever play on the Island or do they usually play in NYC?

Hmm. LaBrie still can't quite pull it off with the lower tuning. I would still really love to see them this year though.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1515 on: February 15, 2017, 02:28:18 PM »

If they're late to the planning game compared to all these similar acts, they may be having a difficult time working a decent schedule around everyone else's dates.

Possible since the fan bases are similar although it definitely wouldn't be a venue conflict

Anyone from Long Island: can you guess where Dream Theater will play when they come to New York? Do they ever play on the Island or do they usually play in NYC?

Jersey guy, I believe they played Huntington Theatre most recently out in long Island, but they always come to NYC.  Last time at Radio City, before that at Hammerstein Ballroom, before that Beacon Theater, before that Terminal 5.  I think all of those are options for the next tour except maybe Terminal 5 since it's all GA.  I think DT is more likely to play a seated ballroom type venue than the big club, but who knows because it probably also depends on availability.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1516 on: February 15, 2017, 02:31:34 PM »
Jersey guy, I believe they played Huntington Theatre most recently out in long Island, but they always come to NYC.  Last time at Radio City, before that at Hammerstein Ballroom, before that Beacon Theater, before that Terminal 5.  I think all of those are options for the next tour except maybe Terminal 5 since it's all GA.  I think DT is more likely to play a seated ballroom type venue than the big club, but who knows because it probably also depends on availability.

I'll be a lucky Herrick if they play in Huntington.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1517 on: February 15, 2017, 02:41:54 PM »

Hmm. LaBrie still can't quite pull it off with the lower tuning. I would still really love to see them this year though.

I wouldn't say he "can't."  I mean, he obviously missed some notes, but that doesn't mean he can't hit them.  The problem with a good many I&W songs is that the vocal melodies are very unforgiving when it comes to breath support and breathing space.  Even a slight cold, allergies, or anything else that produces even a slight cough or difficulty breathing can completely wreck any ability to competently pull off TTT, Another Day, or Metropolis.  He still possesses the range and the breath control that those songs are within their ability.  "Can't" implies that that is not the case.  But just because he possesses the ability in general doesn't mean that he does on any given night.  And given that he was sick at the start of the tour just a few night ago, I'm sure he is still having trouble getting back to form on these harder songs.  But these are just songs where it is almost impossible to fake it if you aren't close to 100%.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1518 on: February 15, 2017, 02:58:46 PM »
I would love to see DT in a GA venue. The last (and maybe only) time I recall seeing them in GA was for the BCSL tour. Other than that they always play in this hellhole called Orpheum in downtown Boston, which I despise.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #1519 on: February 16, 2017, 11:26:17 AM »

During the outro solo of Take the time JP played a little excerpt of one of his solo songs (I am pretty sure it was, but I dont know which one...) - I guess only few people in the audience noticed.

Glasgow Kiss

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1520 on: February 16, 2017, 11:42:27 AM »
I would love to see DT in a GA venue. The last (and maybe only) time I recall seeing them in GA was for the BCSL tour. Other than that they always play in this hellhole called Orpheum in downtown Boston, which I despise.

I remember that room. Not a fan either. I think I went once or twice, when I lived up that way in the early 2000s.

I've seen DT in a GA room a few times. The Holiday show in 1998 (Irving Plaza), The metropolis 2 tour (at Roseland Ballroom), and the one-off for SDOiT at BB Kings in 2002. Being vertically-challenged  :lol it wasn't ideal. But I have some good memories from all those shows, and the energy was INTENSE.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1521 on: February 16, 2017, 02:24:44 PM »
Yea energy is always better in GA because it forces you to be on your feet and then you are more likely to move around and be into it.  I'd love to see DT at the Playstation Theater in NYC.  The sound is always good there and they have a big pit then a second tier pit and then some seating behind that which depending on the show is either open for anyone to sit (Devin Townsend) or they sell those as more expensive tickets (Avantasia).

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1522 on: February 17, 2017, 01:40:30 PM »

I wouldn't say he "can't."  I mean, he obviously missed some notes, but that doesn't mean he can't hit them.  The problem with a good many I&W songs is that the vocal melodies are very unforgiving when it comes to breath support and breathing space.  Even a slight cold, allergies, or anything else that produces even a slight cough or difficulty breathing can completely wreck any ability to competently pull off TTT, Another Day, or Metropolis.  He still possesses the range and the breath control that those songs are within their ability.  "Can't" implies that that is not the case.  But just because he possesses the ability in general doesn't mean that he does on any given night.  And given that he was sick at the start of the tour just a few night ago, I'm sure he is still having trouble getting back to form on these harder songs.  But these are just songs where it is almost impossible to fake it if you aren't close to 100%.

:o

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1523 on: February 17, 2017, 01:47:32 PM »

How about "can't consistently pull it off"?

Offline CB

« Reply #1524 on: February 17, 2017, 02:17:06 PM »
If I remember correctly he also said (as proof of that?) that they recorded it and that that solo sounds different every night. Does that mean they record every show??
Official bootleg please ;D

James claimed that the JR solo is completely improvised each and every night.

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #1525 on: February 23, 2017, 10:26:53 AM »
At the very end of this interview (where some idiot asks about a MP reunion) JP mentions bringing this your to North America :)

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-has-no-plans-to-reunite-with-mike-portnoy/

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1526 on: February 24, 2017, 11:11:15 PM »
At the very end of this interview (where some idiot asks about a MP reunion) JP mentions bringing this your to North America :)

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-has-no-plans-to-reunite-with-mike-portnoy/

The "idiot" who asks about Portnoy is earlier in the video. At the very end Petrucci talks about how DVDs don't sell much.

I haven't bought a DVD since 2009...probably 2008 or whenever that special edition of Cronenberg's The Fly was released. I haven't bought a CD since 2005 or 2006. I don't have the space for DVD cases or CD cases so they all get thrown out and disc goes into a binder.

I only buy downloads these days. I can buy an album from Amazon and play it on whatever device I want and burn it to a CD. I don't know why movies are more restricted than music. Not DT's fault obviously but I won't buy movies/concerts with all the restrictions they currently have.

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #1527 on: February 25, 2017, 01:30:54 AM »
I'm sorry...  I shouldn't have used the term idiot. I'm the only one :)