Author Topic: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!  (Read 149309 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!
« Reply #1400 on: February 03, 2017, 11:12:07 PM »
The only thing I think they ought to change in the set list is the order of the first set.  I am a big believer in the first two songs being big crowd pleasers, and while The Bigger Picture is great, it being the second song just seems odd, just like The Shattered Fortress being second on the Along for the Ride tour was odd.  They seem to like putting a somewhat newer song they hadn't played yet live as the second song, but I think something like that is better suited for the middle of the set list.  Bust out a couple of live mainstays before going with something that has never been played before.
I just figured they did TSF second because it's so intense for MM that he wouldn't have as much energy to do it later.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1401 on: February 04, 2017, 05:58:28 AM »
Since I'm a drummer and not a 🎸 player: does tuning down just mean that all strings for both JP and JM are tuned down a half-step and doesn't require learning new fingerings?

Offline NOMAC2107

• A true NOise MAChine
  • Find all you need in your mind...
« Reply #1402 on: February 04, 2017, 06:14:54 AM »
Since I'm a drummer and not a 🎸 player: does tuning down just mean that all strings for both JP and JM are tuned down a half-step and doesn't require learning new fingerings?

Mostly the same, but a fingering may be changed if a note sounds quite strange. I've found that certain chords sound a little different, even if fingered the same, than how they should.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1403 on: February 04, 2017, 10:57:16 AM »
Yeah, that's what Metallica does. All their strings are downtuned 1 half step and they play the songs just like they would've played them in the E standard tuning.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1404 on: February 04, 2017, 01:46:28 PM »
A lot of stuff JP plays relies on open strings and specific layouts on the fretboard. I'd be surprised if he went through the pain of adjusting any of that.

But, the guitar is always the instrument that is affected the most by downtuning. The reason for that is, guitar strings are specifically designed to be under the tension that achieves the intended pitch. So, tuning a low E string to Eb isn't the same sound as a string designed to be tuned to Eb (is there was such a thing).
So, I certainly don't have perfect pitch, but I can always tell a downtuned guitar because the timbre of the strings sounds off.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Evai

« Reply #1405 on: February 04, 2017, 02:57:16 PM »
He probably changed string gauges to compensate for the loss of tension
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1406 on: February 04, 2017, 03:00:01 PM »
It's not that strings are intended to be of a certain tuning, but lower tuning does require thicker strings which in turnmore tension for it to sound good. But we're not talking half step down, more like going to a open C chord or something or other "djentish" sounds. Going even further down requires even more tension, which is why you often see the bug 8-string guitars (and even some 7-string guitars) being made with fanned frets - - as it compensates for the thicker string.

Tuning down as Metallica (and now DT) does shouldn't require much difference in the guitar setup (unless their guitar techs are idiots). Maybe some saddle-adjustments for intonation.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1407 on: February 04, 2017, 03:36:28 PM »
It's not that strings are intended to be of a certain tuning, but lower tuning does require thicker strings

Um, why do you think string boxes come labeled with exactly the tuning they are intended for? You can even buy specific "drop D" string sets, because even an E string downtuned to D sounds different in timbre.
The strings are absolutely designed to sound best at their target pitch, no question about it.

And if you don't believe me, do an experiment. Record a G note on a regularly tuned E string. Then downtune the E to Eb, and record a G (now of course on the fourth fret). Compare the sound, they will be different.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 03:41:48 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1408 on: February 05, 2017, 06:26:08 AM »
So, in the end... what exactly was the deal with the Epica album and The Dark Eternal Night? it had to do with the alphabetic order of songs and album titles?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1409 on: February 05, 2017, 09:14:22 AM »
So, in the end... what exactly was the deal with the Epica album and The Dark Eternal Night? it had to do with the alphabetic order of songs and album titles?

Yes.. Apparently Bosk doesn't have WDADU (this we already knew) and Train of Thought on his computer, so several minutes after listening TDEN, album: SC, artist: DT, the player went to the next artist: Epica..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1410 on: February 05, 2017, 11:24:13 AM »
Apparently they're leaving out A Life Left Behind and TSCO now. Can anybody confirm that? :(

EDIT: Yup.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 11:36:09 AM by aprilethereal »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1411 on: February 05, 2017, 11:36:54 AM »
Apparently they're leaving out A Life Left Behind and TSCO now. Can anybody confirm that? :(

EDIT: Yup.

And leaving in AIA.  :facepalm:

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1412 on: February 05, 2017, 01:04:27 PM »

Yes.. Apparently Bosk doesn't have WDADU (this we already knew) and Train of Thought on his computer, so several minutes after listening TDEN, album: SC, artist: DT, the player went to the next artist: Epica..

Bosk had reordered his SC album to have TDEN as the last song.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1413 on: February 05, 2017, 03:06:25 PM »

Um, why do you think string boxes come labeled with exactly the tuning they are intended for? You can even buy specific "drop D" string sets, because even an E string downtuned to D sounds different in timbre.

https://www.ernieball.com/guitar-strings/electric-guitar-strings/slinky-nickel-wound-electric-guitar-strings#P02221

String gauge has more to do with tension than anything else - but of course a thinner string may sound a bit thinner since it has less metal to interact with the coil with - but not much difference through an amp. The main reason I play with 9 gauge strings (regular slinky) is because it's lower tension than going for a 10 gauge, and is much easier to do wild bends with. Soundwise, not that much of a noticable difference, a bit darker tone with heavier strings, but thats it.

The reason they label stuff is to make it easier for people to string a guitar. EADGBe is the standard tuning, so it's easier to just say "this is the E string, put it there" than say "this is the 46 string, you should figure out for yourself where it goes on the guitar".

There's no set "gauge" to use for a "drop D" tuning, but since you want the correct tension it may be advisable to go for a 52 gauge instead of a 46 gauge. But you'll be fine going for a 46 too, it'll just have a slightly more sloppier reaction due to the decreased tension on the string.

But don't take my word for it: https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/best-guitar-strings/

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1414 on: February 05, 2017, 04:42:43 PM »

Bosk had reordered his SC album to have TDEN as the last song.

Right.. I forgot about that..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Estiui

« Reply #1415 on: February 06, 2017, 08:43:40 AM »
So they shortened the setlist? 2 songs seems quite a lot, around 10 mins per night, how's that?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1416 on: February 06, 2017, 08:52:01 AM »
So they shortened the setlist? 2 songs seems quite a lot, around 10 mins per night, how's that?

Have we been given a reason why?  Maybe after the first show they realized it is too much to perform that show every night?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1417 on: February 06, 2017, 09:01:33 AM »
I believe they realized the show was too long. My show with 20 minutes of intermission lasted 3 hours basically on the clock. 60 precise minutes in the first set, 60 and more of I&W with all the extended outros and the drum solo, and 25 minutes of A Change of Seasons.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1418 on: February 06, 2017, 09:24:55 AM »
I believe they realized the show was too long. My show with 20 minutes of intermission lasted 3 hours basically on the clock. 60 precise minutes in the first set, 60 and more of I&W with all the extended outros and the drum solo, and 25 minutes of A Change of Seasons.

But 3 hours including the intermission has been normal for them.  DT12 tour was like that, 3 hours on the dot.  Maybe these songs are just more strenuous for JLB? 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1419 on: February 06, 2017, 09:28:05 AM »
What songs got the axe?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1420 on: February 06, 2017, 09:28:42 AM »
ALLB and TSCO are not really vocally challenging for JLB. According to somebody who watched the Rome show, it took them over 3 hours with those two songs included, so maybe it is the show length.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #1421 on: February 06, 2017, 09:43:14 AM »
Shame about ALLB not overly fussed about TSCO.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1422 on: February 06, 2017, 09:46:40 AM »
I do love ALLB.

It doesn't make much sense that they only played them for two shows.  They're both kind of ballads, though, so maybe they thought Hell's Kitchen combined with the two ballads from I&W were enough.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1423 on: February 06, 2017, 10:25:45 AM »
I'm ok with those two songs getting the axe..  Please do "NOT" cut The Bigger Picture, that needs to stay through the entire world tour!!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1424 on: February 06, 2017, 10:27:23 AM »
Hey, does anybody know what happens during the intermission? The video shown on the AFTR Tour was awesome!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1425 on: February 06, 2017, 10:32:37 AM »
Hey, does anybody know what happens during the intermission? The video shown on the AFTR Tour was awesome!
You'll just need to see The Bigger Picture to find out..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1426 on: February 06, 2017, 12:43:45 PM »
Hey, does anybody know what happens during the intermission?

Nothing. This time nothing happens. They even turned the house lights back on and put on the standard music.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1427 on: February 06, 2017, 01:34:26 PM »
Bummed about TSCO getting cut. I love that song dearly but haven't seen it live yet. I still need to see John play that solo in person.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1428 on: February 06, 2017, 01:58:24 PM »
Really happy to see TSCO gone. That has been on one of my least favorite DT songs for years and I don't really care to see it again live.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1429 on: February 06, 2017, 02:05:26 PM »
Yo' Bosk....any inside info. as to when we might 'generally' expect the announcement of the US tour dates/cities?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1430 on: February 06, 2017, 02:07:44 PM »
Yo' Bosk....any inside info. as to when we might 'generally' expect the announcement of the US tour dates/cities?

I got this Bosk!

Soon..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1431 on: February 06, 2017, 02:10:05 PM »
:lol  I have no idea.  All I can say for certain is that it'll likely be before Atlanta wins a Super Bowl.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1432 on: February 06, 2017, 02:25:10 PM »
:lol  I have no idea.  All I can say for certain is that it'll likely be before Atlanta wins a Super Bowl.

burrnnn

:lol

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1433 on: February 06, 2017, 03:42:39 PM »
I do hope it's "soon."  My friends and I are chomping at the bit to make plans for this.  We're all pretty big fans of early DT.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1434 on: February 06, 2017, 04:26:47 PM »
It's pretty plain and clear that most people are sick of TSCO, and I'm one of them. IMO, they should put that song on the shelf for a solid 10 years and play some other ballads that are as equally emotional (TA has provided a fair few) This way, when they finally dust it off and play it again, people will be delighted to hear it return and consider it a real treat!