Author Topic: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!  (Read 148345 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!
« Reply #140 on: November 18, 2016, 08:36:50 PM »
2017 is also the 20th anniversary of Falling Into Infinity, the 15th anniversary of Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence, & the 10th anniversary of Systematic Chaos, so my guess is that the extra set will have a notable amount of songs from those albums.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #141 on: November 18, 2016, 08:38:57 PM »
Setlist time!

Surrender To Reason
Constant Motion
The Gift of Music
Blind Faith
Only a Matter of Time
Piano Solo/ Three Days
Outcry
Octavarium

Pull Me Under
Another Day
Take The Time
Surrounded
Metropolis Part 1
Under a Glass Moon
Wait for Sleep
Learning to Live

The Enemy Inside

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: November 18, 2016, 08:55:02 PM »
I am normally meh on "It's the xx anniversary of this album, let's play the whole thing!" shows, but this is one I would definitely sign up to go to.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #143 on: November 18, 2016, 09:25:16 PM »
What if they just played all the Images and Words album spread across the set, but in order. Open with Pull Me Under, end the set with Learning to Live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #144 on: November 18, 2016, 09:31:00 PM »
What if they just played all the Images and Words album spread across the set, but in order. Open with Pull Me Under, end the set with Learning to Live.

They won't do it that way, but they ought to, because it would be awesome.

Open Set 1 with the first three songs.
End Set 1 with Surrounded and Metropolis.
Open Set 2 with Under a Glass Moon.
End Set 2 with the last two songs.

:metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #145 on: November 19, 2016, 03:55:30 AM »
Set list time, eh?

1. In the presence of enemies part 1
2. This dying soul
3. Build me up, break me down
4. Home
5. Lines in the sand
6. Wither
7. Surrender to reason
8. Our new world
---
9. Pull me under
10. Another day
11. Take the time
12. Surrounded
13. Metropolis part 1
14. Under a glass moon
15. 1Wait for sleep
16. Learning to live
----
17. Octavarium

This is neither a wishlist nor a prediction. I'm just throwing it out there for fun.  ;D Although some bits of it are fairly realistic.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2016, 04:17:49 AM »

I wouldn't like that at all. I think, albums like I&W are pieces that are supposed to be listened to as a whole.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #147 on: November 19, 2016, 04:54:02 AM »
There are so many albums played in full now, that unless they're concept albums I wouldn't mind having the songs spread throughout the whole set. In this specific case, I'm fine with Images and Words being played in a row.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #148 on: November 19, 2016, 05:53:04 AM »
I forgot about FII. Maybe they could honor that album the same way they honored SFAM during the DT12 tour with a couple of songs at least. For instance:

Set 1 - I&W

Set 2:

You not me
Burning my soul
Hell's kitchen
Lines in the sand
Take away my pain
Just let me breathe
Anna Lee

Encore:

A change of seasons
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Mladen

« Reply #149 on: November 19, 2016, 07:03:31 AM »
I don't think they'll be honoring some of their least popular albums.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #150 on: November 19, 2016, 07:13:16 AM »

I wouldn't like that at all. I think, albums like I&W are pieces that are supposed to be listened to as a whole.

Eh, I disagree.  I&W is not a concept album or one of those albums that has to be played in order; it's a phenomenal album that is a collection of great songs.  They could scatter them throughout the set list in just about any order and it would work about as well.

The exception being Pull Me Under, which I've always thought is a great opener, but poor set closer/encore.  This tour pretty much guarantees that it will kick off the set, which is the way it always should be with that one.

Offline The Jester

« Reply #151 on: November 19, 2016, 08:44:25 AM »
I wish they would come back to Scotland.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #152 on: November 19, 2016, 09:26:50 AM »

JP thinks FII is great and he's proud of it:

https://www.rockbook.hu/hirek/john-petrucci-interview-label-didnt-have-influence-falling-infinity-album

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #153 on: November 19, 2016, 09:53:46 AM »
I think FII is awesome as well!!

Coming back to the "playing I&W completely", I didn't mean that it's like a concept album. I started listening albums as a whole a couple of years back and realized that it makes a lot of sense, even if it's not a concept album. It reflects the artist at the very time when the album came out, and also I think that the artist has a reason why he/she/they put the songs on the record this particular way, and no another way. Some albums have a certain atmosphere to them without following a musical or lyrical concept, for example Gaucho by Steely Dan, Hotel California by Eagles, Joshua Tree by U2. That makes me want to listen to the albums from start to finish.
For example, I think Exposure by Robert Fripp is a collection of a LOT of songs of a LOT of different genres and style, yet for me it is best when you hear the whole thing.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #154 on: November 19, 2016, 10:24:40 AM »
I wish they would come back to Scotland.

Same here!  Not been here since 2012.  Though with this tour i'd happily just take any UK dates at all :(

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #155 on: November 19, 2016, 11:34:53 AM »

https://www.rockbook.hu/hirek/john-petrucci-interview-label-didnt-have-influence-falling-infinity-album

Unfortunately he's incorrect. FII already got all the love it requires on the Budokan DVD.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #156 on: November 19, 2016, 12:28:02 PM »
Good for him. If I recall correctly, James isn't. Jordan and Mike don't care since they weren't in the band, and John Myung probably wouldn't be the one to bring up the idea of celebrating Falling into infinity. Even though we don't know his opinion on it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #157 on: November 19, 2016, 01:00:25 PM »
I have no idea why they'd play the 12SS. Not even because of Mike, but because it makes no sense logistically.

Nobody has mentioned the biggest reason to not play 12SS: in its entirety it drags on and is too repetitive. If they played an "abridged" version, that could be interesting, but I don't think any of the remaining members has much interest in spending a lot of time on the piece.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #158 on: November 19, 2016, 01:05:52 PM »
I have no idea why they'd play the 12SS. Not even because of Mike, but because it makes no sense logistically.

Nobody has mentioned the biggest reason to not play 12SS: in its entirety it drags on and is too repetitive. If they played an "abridged" version, that could be interesting, but I don't think any of the remaining members has much interest in spending a lot of time on the piece.

They already played an abridged version of the suite. It's called The Shattered Fortress.

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #159 on: November 19, 2016, 01:54:23 PM »

Unfortunately he's incorrect. FII already got all the love it requires on the Budokan DVD.

Only 3 songs. My imaginary setlist avoid them.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #160 on: November 19, 2016, 02:38:03 PM »

Not quite my opinion. I think the 12SS is a great piece of music and actually holds up the suspense pretty well for being a 55min piece.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #161 on: November 19, 2016, 06:30:32 PM »
Set list time, eh?

2. This dying soul
4. Home
5. Lines in the sand
6. Wither
7. Surrender to reason
8. Our new world
---
9. Pull me under
10. Another day
11. Take the time
12. Surrounded
13. Metropolis part 1
14. Under a glass moon
15. 1Wait for sleep
16. Learning to live
----
17. Octavarium

This is neither a wishlist nor a prediction. I'm just throwing it out there for fun.  ;D Although some bits of it are fairly realistic.

A set list like that and I'm front row.  I would not mind they put 3 songs from TA... you know the 3 good ones. ;)
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #162 on: November 19, 2016, 07:56:49 PM »
I'd rather them close with ACOS if they're going to pay tribute to Images and Words...or throw in To Live Forever

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #163 on: November 19, 2016, 08:55:33 PM »
I'd rather them close with ACOS if they're going to pay tribute to Images and Words...or throw in To Live Forever

It would make total sense for them to play both songs since both are from the same era, and they already played a part (Innocence) from ACOS and TLF with Mangini.

That would be an unreal experience.  :metal

I think FII is awesome as well!!

Coming back to the "playing I&W completely", I didn't mean that it's like a concept album. I started listening albums as a whole a couple of years back and realized that it makes a lot of sense, even if it's not a concept album. It reflects the artist at the very time when the album came out, and also I think that the artist has a reason why he/she/they put the songs on the record this particular way, and no another way. Some albums have a certain atmosphere to them without following a musical or lyrical concept, for example Gaucho by Steely Dan, Hotel California by Eagles, Joshua Tree by U2. That makes me want to listen to the albums from start to finish.
For example, I think Exposure by Robert Fripp is a collection of a LOT of songs of a LOT of different genres and style, yet for me it is best when you hear the whole thing.

Completely agree with you! When I was following music production as my carreer, one of the teachers told us that every album should have a concept (not talking about a concept album like SFAM or TA), like a common theme or topic that links all the songs on the album. If a song doesn't fit the tone/theme/concept of the album, he said, it's better to not include it on the album, so that the final product is cohesive and coherent.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #164 on: November 19, 2016, 11:13:29 PM »

It would make total sense for them to play both songs since both are from the same era, and they already played a part (Innocence) from ACOS and TLF with Mangini.

I don't see them playing ACOS too many more times in their career, so now is as good a time as any. I would be exceedingly disappointed if they never played it again in its entirety. It's a Top 5 song and has always been a fan favorite (for most of us at least).

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #165 on: November 20, 2016, 05:33:04 AM »
If I had to decide between 8vm & ACOS, it would definitely be 8tvm for me. I would consider it the best song of their career and the first tour I saw was the Systematic Chaos tour, so.. :blush

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #166 on: November 20, 2016, 06:04:25 AM »

I don't see them playing ACOS too many more times in their career, so now is as good a time as any. I would be exceedingly disappointed if they never played it again in its entirety. It's a Top 5 song and has always been a fan favorite (for most of us at least).

That's the problem with their longest songs from older albums, fans love them, but you can't really play them too pften because they tay way too much time from the setlist on a regular tour :-\

If I had to decide between 8vm & ACOS, it would definitely be 8tvm for me. I would consider it the best song of their career and the first tour I saw was the Systematic Chaos tour, so.. :blush

:lol I feel your pain, they've only come to my country once, for the BC&SL tour, and I couldn't go see them, so I've been sad for not going ever since :'(

At least you got to see ITPOE live, that's one of my DT favorotes as well :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #167 on: November 20, 2016, 06:06:32 AM »

That's the problem with their longest songs from older albums, fans love them, but you can't really play them too pften because they tay way too much time from the setlist on a regular tour :-\

You're right. That's why I'm hoping they will go one more tour adding it into the setlist, even if it's only part of the tour - the New York part.  ;) One can hope.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #168 on: November 20, 2016, 06:12:38 AM »
:lol I feel your pain, they've only come to my country once, for the BC&SL tour, and I couldn't go see them, so I've been sad for not going ever since :'(

At least you got to see ITPOE live, that's one of my DT favorotes as well :biggrin:

Actually no, just the first part ;) I saw the second leg of the SC tour, round the time BC&SL was coming out but they only played AROP from the new album. I was in München (I believe it was 23rd of June 2009), with Neal Morse as supporting act ;) If I recall correctly, that was still part of the SC tour. Correct me if I am wrong. Anyway, it was awesome! I stood out in the rain for a few hours to get in the first line and met my (later) girlfriend for the first time (she's not anymore though :D). Later I found out, that Mike Portnoy recorded a lot of his vocals for The Whirlwind at the very same time, backstage, a few meters away from me. I am very proud of having seen DT with MP. Great day.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: November 20, 2016, 11:58:53 AM »

Ooh tough choice. Octavarium their best song VS A Change Of Seasons - one of the worst.   :police:

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #170 on: November 20, 2016, 12:01:12 PM »
So how will they handle the dual vocal part in ACOS if they play it? In the past James would hold out that long note while Portnoy sang the other line.

Would it just be done via backing tracks? A little underwhelming.

Since it'll be to a click and a bit too robotic for my tastes, I hope they do 8vm since I don't have as strong a connection to it. And obviously DT should be considering my personal feelings toward DT songs as the main deciding factor in all of this.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #171 on: November 20, 2016, 12:06:18 PM »
I think this will be the smallest problem. JP can do it.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #172 on: November 20, 2016, 12:44:33 PM »
Yeah, this is a no-brainer. I was never found of MP's vocal harmonies anyway. I'll take ACOS with the slight blemish of a click track as opposed to not hearing it at all. It's still them playing it and it's better than not hearing it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #173 on: November 20, 2016, 01:02:33 PM »
So how will they handle the dual vocal part in ACOS if they play it? In the past James would hold out that long note while Portnoy sang the other line.

James can simply skip the long note and continue singing.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #174 on: November 20, 2016, 04:02:55 PM »
Set list time, eh?

2. This dying soul
4. Home
5. Lines in the sand
6. Wither
7. Surrender to reason
8. Our new world
---
9. Pull me under
10. Another day
11. Take the time
12. Surrounded
13. Metropolis part 1
14. Under a glass moon
15. 1Wait for sleep
16. Learning to live
----
17. Octavarium

I like this one!!! Just replace Our New World with Moment of Betrayal; that would be SOOO much better IMO  :)