Author Topic: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!  (Read 149580 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!
« Reply #1155 on: January 24, 2017, 01:47:27 PM »
Bosk, that's an amazing way you managed to reveal that You Not Me, Raw Dog, A Nightmare to Remember, Far From Heaven, Two Far, The Answer Lies Within, Take Away My Pain and Anna Lee would all be included in the set and that they'd open with The Ministry of Lost Souls! Thanks for finally confirming them!

No problem.  All it takes is just some reading between the lines, right?

Lines in the Sand! The FII song!!  :biggrin:

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1156 on: January 24, 2017, 02:59:44 PM »
 :corn
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1157 on: January 24, 2017, 03:44:32 PM »
There are a few ADTOE songs I'd prefer over BAI, but I won't complain since it is good live. Comes off much better than the album version. Will be even better if they're not doing click tracks.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1158 on: January 24, 2017, 03:46:57 PM »
Gah not BAI again. Wouldve preffered anything else from ADTOE bar that (and OTBOA)  :facepalm:
Honestly, I'm of the same mindset. Mix it up instead of playing the same thing again. Unless they were to change the song up, which I'd love to see them do - something that's been severely lacking since MP left the band.

Why would they change a perfect song?  :huh:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1159 on: January 24, 2017, 03:49:05 PM »
Gah not BAI again. Wouldve preffered anything else from ADTOE bar that (and OTBOA)  :facepalm:
Honestly, I'm of the same mindset. Mix it up instead of playing the same thing again. Unless they were to change the song up, which I'd love to see them do - something that's been severely lacking since MP left the band.

I'd be cool with an extended guitar solo by JP during the soft part

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1160 on: January 24, 2017, 07:41:31 PM »

Learning to Break All Illusions:  Mash-up that inserts LTL instrumental parts into the complimentary sections of BAI.

Offline SkiFiX

« Reply #1161 on: January 25, 2017, 04:51:41 AM »
My idea of the setlist for the next tour:

Breaking All Illusions
The Dark Eternal Night
Through my words
Fatal Tragedy
Lines in the Sand
A Bigger Picture
Astonishing tracks
----
Images and words
----
A Change of Seasons

Maybe they could add The Spirit carries on, Wither or As I Am to the set.. but i hope they don't. ;D.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1162 on: January 25, 2017, 05:27:18 AM »
I'm all for Wither, I never heard it live! actually I skipped the Black Clouds tour and so I only ever heard A Rite of Passage and Shattered Fortress.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #1163 on: January 25, 2017, 05:28:52 AM »
I hope This is the Life makes the setlist.  Love that song.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1164 on: January 25, 2017, 11:37:06 AM »
I'm all for Wither, I never heard it live! actually I skipped the Black Clouds tour and so I only ever heard A Rite of Passage and Shattered Fortress.

You mean TSF and TCoT.. ARoP wasn't played except in the BC&SL tour and TCoT was played in the A Dramatic Tour of Events... Well, and Wither was also played in the 30th anniversary tour..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1165 on: January 25, 2017, 12:12:07 PM »
Because sometimes the song isn't as perfect as you might think!   :P   Learning to Live is by far my favorite DT song of all time, but I loved it when they made some changes to the song in 1996 and then again in 2005/2006. The same with The Killing Hand, Lines in the Sand and Scarred. And for other songs that I'm not that big a fan of, it can elevate them to something much better - perfect examples of that are Hollow Years and Metropolis (yes, I'm not a big fan of Metropolis).

I'm definitely of the mindset that I like to see bands change up some of their songs live, whether they are songs I love or hate, just because it makes them new and interesting.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1166 on: January 25, 2017, 12:14:24 PM »

You mean TSF and TCoT.. ARoP wasn't played except in the BC&SL tour and TCoT was played in the A Dramatic Tour of Events... Well, and Wither was also played in the 30th anniversary tour..

A Rite of Passage was played in the summer festivals before the album release, which I have attented.
The Count of Tuscany was played before the release of Dramatic... and I missed it.
And Wither was played in the anniversary tour... which I missed again.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1167 on: January 25, 2017, 12:24:15 PM »
I caught the BC&SL tour when they played ANTR, AROP and TCOT. That was the last show I saw with MP.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1168 on: January 25, 2017, 12:33:07 PM »
I saw them basically every time they passed around here, and I had seen then in the summer of 2009, so when they returned in Autumn with the Progressive Nation package, I said to myself "Well, I've already seen them some times, this time around they will play a lot less, I don't like any of the other bands on the bill... guess I'll survive if for once I don't see them".

And this is what they played:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2009/mediolanum-forum-di-assago-assago-italy-4bd7d33a.html

That setlist is made up of songs I still haven't heard live, or that I would have to wait forever to hear again, such as The Mirror. And some SFAM which never hurts. Now I wish I had gone to that gig!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1169 on: January 25, 2017, 01:06:48 PM »
I know how you feel MM. Had I known that there would not be a headlining tour in 2010, that MP would leave the band and that would be the end of the rotating setlists, I would've gone to multiple ProgNation shows in 2008 and 2009. I even would've traveled with my buddy Bob to go see them do a headlining gig in Oregon in 2010. Definitely something I regret now.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1170 on: January 25, 2017, 05:11:38 PM »
I even would've traveled with my buddy Bob to go see them do a headlining gig in Oregon in 2010. Definitely something I regret now.

I went to the Roseland gig in hopes they would add Wither to the headline shows, which they did AFTER Portland!  I think the only thing you missed Scotty was the demo version of Hollow Years with the extra pre-chorus, it otherwise didn't deviate from their usual setlist that touring cycle.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 08:08:00 PM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1171 on: January 25, 2017, 11:22:56 PM »
Less than a week to find out ....how good Bosk is at keeping secrets, how totally wrong I was as to my wish set list, and......how good it might all turn out.

Can't wait.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1172 on: January 25, 2017, 11:39:12 PM »
I even would've traveled with my buddy Bob to go see them do a headlining gig in Oregon in 2010. Definitely something I regret now.

That show was amazing. More than worth the drive from Seattle. In fact, that IM/DT show the next night was a big of a let-down coming on the heels on that show.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1173 on: January 26, 2017, 06:43:45 AM »
I saw DT twice on that IM opening tour. Saw them open for IM in Pittsburgh, and made the decision to travel to Columbus for one of those one-off headlining nights. So glad I did, obviously at the time, I had no idea it was my last chance to see MP with DT but since it was, looking back on it, I'm so glad I went.

Killer set for that Columbus show too, small little sweaty venue:

A Nightmare to Remember
Constant Motion
Hollow Years
The Mirror
Lie
A Rite of Passage
Home
Panic Attack
As I Am
Pull Me Under
Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper

Encore:
The Count of Tuscany

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1174 on: January 26, 2017, 08:23:51 AM »
I went to the Roseland gig in hopes they would add Wither to the headline shows, which they did AFTER Portland!  I think the only thing you missed Scotty was the demo version of Hollow Years with the extra pre-chorus, it otherwise didn't deviate from their usual setlist that touring cycle.
While I didn't go see multiple shows on the PN09 leg, I did catch the show at the Greek, so I did manage to see the most of the tracks that were significant on that tour (ANtR, ARoP, TCoT, PoW, HYears '09, SShell '09) plus the super extended BTL. I had forgotten that Wither was not part of the Portland show, which obviously is a bummer, especially since you went to that show hoping to see it.  :'( Ah well - given the shows you and I have seen, especially compared to some of the newer fans, I don't think either of us can complain.  ;)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1175 on: January 26, 2017, 09:17:05 AM »
I know how you feel MM. Had I known that there would not be a headlining tour in 2010, that MP would leave the band and that would be the end of the rotating setlists, I would've gone to multiple ProgNation shows in 2008 and 2009. I even would've traveled with my buddy Bob to go see them do a headlining gig in Oregon in 2010. Definitely something I regret now.

Yeah, same here.  I wasn't a Maiden fan at the time, so no strong urge to see them on the Maiden tour.  And PN has never really been my thing.  I was holding out for the BCSL proper headlining tour that never happened in the U.S.  Oh well.

Less than a week to find out ....how good Bosk is at keeping secrets, how totally wrong I was as to my wish set list, and......how good it might all turn out.

Can't wait.

:) Yup, we will all know soon.  And, for me, I'm sure there may even be a song or two on the set list where I am like, "Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that one."  :lol  There have been some really good guesses on some of the set lists.  I don't think anyone has gotten it 100%, but there are plenty that are close.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #1176 on: January 26, 2017, 02:59:12 PM »
@bosk could you at least spoil "the 6doit song" that they'll play?

Offline pcs90

« Reply #1177 on: January 26, 2017, 06:17:54 PM »
Because sometimes the song isn't as perfect as you might think!   :P   Learning to Live is by far my favorite DT song of all time, but I loved it when they made some changes to the song in 1996 and then again in 2005/2006. The same with The Killing Hand, Lines in the Sand and Scarred. And for other songs that I'm not that big a fan of, it can elevate them to something much better - perfect examples of that are Hollow Years and Metropolis (yes, I'm not a big fan of Metropolis).

I'm definitely of the mindset that I like to see bands change up some of their songs live, whether they are songs I love or hate, just because it makes them new and interesting.
I completely agree. I love it when DT changes up a song from the studio version. A recent example is the intro jam to Trial of Tears that they started towards the end of the DT12 tour.
Curious though, what changes were made to LTL in 1996? I know of the changes in 2005-06, and of course the SFAM tour version, but can't remember any others.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1178 on: January 26, 2017, 06:45:49 PM »
I was at the NAMM Show last week and I got to play Jordan Rudess' Kronos keyboard in which he played Tarkus and there were a lot of DT patches loaded which may (or may not) be indication of the songs that will be performed. :omg:
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1179 on: January 26, 2017, 07:16:59 PM »

I completely agree. I love it when DT changes up a song from the studio version. A recent example is the intro jam to Trial of Tears that they started towards the end of the DT12 tour.
Curious though, what changes were made to LTL in 1996? I know of the changes in 2005-06, and of course the SFAM tour version, but can't remember any others.
https://youtu.be/w3GIKNzpJcI
At 1:51:15. I loved this different solo too!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1180 on: January 26, 2017, 07:51:40 PM »
Ah well - given the shows you and I have seen, especially compared to some of the newer fans, I don't think either of us can complain.  ;)

True, we have been fortunate  ;D  Plus, I still think there is a chance that Wither will get a proper rotation in some future U.S. tour.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1181 on: January 26, 2017, 08:37:22 PM »
I was at the NAMM Show last week and I got to play Jordan Rudess' Kronos keyboard in which he played Tarkus and there were a lot of DT patches loaded which may (or may not) be indication of the songs that will be performed. :omg:

Do spill.  :lol

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #1182 on: January 27, 2017, 12:55:49 AM »
We want...information, information. By hook or by crook we will (get it)!!!
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1183 on: January 27, 2017, 02:04:54 AM »
James: - Haha, ja! Vi skal selvsagt ikke bare spille låter fra «I&W», det blir to set i løpet av kvelden, med en pause i mellom.
NRM: - Har dere setlista klar?
James: - Ja, første del blir låter fra hele vår karriere, og andre del blir hele «I&W» i rekkefølge. Og en overraskelse på ekstranumre.
NRM: - Kommer dere til å variere setlista, eller blir det akkurat de samme låtene hver kveld på hele turnéen?
James: - I utgangspunktet kjører vi samme hovedsett hver kveld, men vi kommer kanskje til å endre litt på ekstranumrene nå og da, men ikke hver kveld.
NRM: - Dere har jo såpass dedikerte fans at mange av oss kommer til å se mer enn en konsert på turneen.
James: - Ja, jeg vet, og det har vi alltid i bakhodet. I første sett kommer vi derfor ikke bare til å spille låter som fansen ikke har hørt på en god stund, men det er også noen låter som vi aldri har spilt live før. Og så vil vi selvsagt avslutte kvelden med et massivt epos. Det kommer uansett til å bli en spesiell og minneverdig aften for fansen.

-James: - Haha, yes! We will of course not only play songs from "I & W", it will be two sets during the evening, with a break in between.
NRM: - Is the setlist ready?
James: - Yes, the first part will be songs from our entire career, and the second part is the whole "I & W" in order. And a surprise as the encore.
NRM: - Will you vary the setlist, or is it just the same songs every night for the whole tour?
James: - Basically, we run the same main sets every night, but we might change it up a little in the encore now and then, but not every night.
NRM: - You do have so dedicated fans that many of us are going to see more than a concert on the tour.
James: - Yes, I know, and we always have that in mind. In the first set we therefore not only to play songs that fans have not heard in a while, but there are also some songs that we've never played live before. And then we will obviously end the evening with a massive epic. It will be a special and memorable evening for the fans.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1184 on: January 27, 2017, 02:35:27 AM »
Ok, they basically said-non-said that we get A Change of Seasons as encore.

I wonder however what the replacement would be... I don't think they would rehearse, say, Octavarium only to play it every 5-6 gigs. We'll see!

Offline dodido253

« Reply #1185 on: January 27, 2017, 02:37:46 AM »
One of the never played songs must be The Bigger Picture.. I can see how great its gonna be as a live song :metal

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #1186 on: January 27, 2017, 03:18:40 AM »
Ok, they basically said-non-said that we get A Change of Seasons as encore.

I wonder however what the replacement would be... I don't think they would rehearse, say, Octavarium only to play it every 5-6 gigs. We'll see!

"Change it up a little" were his words. Probably will just be adding bits in like on Live Scenes where they had the Simpsons bit, home run bit etc.

I also think they could put the drum solo in ACOS - we know MM never plays exactly the same solo

EDIT: Also when James says some songs they have never played before do you think he means with MM? There cant be many theyve NEVER played before can there?

Offline NOMAC2107

• A true NOise MAChine
  • Find all you need in your mind...
« Reply #1187 on: January 27, 2017, 03:20:33 AM »
So they might vary the encore a bit some nights? If the encore is ACoS, does that mean some shows get no ACoS? Does that mean some nights are gonna get Dead Poet's before it and some might not? Do some sections of the songs get chopped out, like going from Another World to Crimson Sunset without Inevitable Summer (as an example)? For the love of god, what does it mean, James!?

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1188 on: January 27, 2017, 03:40:11 AM »
Did Mangini hinted at A Change of Season part were the bass play that baseball theme in his last video with Eric Disrude?

@3'56"
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu792DZtc_U
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 03:48:28 AM by DreamerTV »

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #1189 on: January 27, 2017, 06:28:47 AM »
Did Mangini hinted at A Change of Season part were the bass play that baseball theme in his last video with Eric Disrude?

@3'56"
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu792DZtc_U

I would be hoping for something original. Could be though!