Author Topic: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!  (Read 148346 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: DT to play the whole I&W in full next year!
« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2016, 07:49:00 AM »

Dream Theater presents The Apology Live!

Sounds like a good title for their next album.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2016, 08:11:58 AM »
Don't know if any of you guys saw this, but Mangini tweeted about transcribing two monster songs for the 2017 tour, and I'm pretty sure that "monster" refers to long/epic songs. I first thought about ACOS and/or Octavarium, but now they've confirmed the IAW tour, i'm almost sure they'll play ACOS.

I'll leave the link to his tweet here: https://twitter.com/ManginiMike/status/798421746638618624

Maybe it will costs too much time in the setlist, but if MM is talking about 2 "monster" tracks, I think that probably these are 2 songs on the 20 minutes (or more) mark. And MM already transcribed TCoT. So, maybe ACoS (I guess it's a safe bet) and...Octavarium or ITPoE or ... A Mind Beside Itself ;) or... 6Degress :omg:

Or maybe the second monster track could be around 15 minute mark, which leaves open to a lot of "small epics" not played by MM, like Voices, Lines in the Sand, Home or ITNoG. We'll see.

It depends on what will the other set (not the full IAW album) be. Like you said, ACOS is a safe bet  :tup

I remember I read an interview with Jordan where he said he wants to play more of SDOIT again, but I don't think they'll play the whole 2nd disc.
Also, James said on another interview, before TA was released, that he wanted to sing Take The Time, TMOLS and Disappear again, so we might get those tracks as well.

ITPOE is one of my favorite DT epics, and very underrated imo, and it would be unreal if they played it, but I thin it's very unlikely  :-\
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline don_waka

« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2016, 09:51:20 AM »
Was checking my spam folder and found this

Images, Words & Beyond
Pre-sale and VIP Tickets Start Today!
Dream Theater embarks soon on their monumental European headline tour, celebrating the 25th anniversary of their milestone album, Images & Words. Each performance will include an unparalleled live set of "Images & Words" in its entirety, along with fan favorites from their deep, widely-acclaimed catalogue. Advance tickets and VIP packages, which include a meet and greet, photo with the band, and other exclusive merchandise go on sale today, Thursday, November 17th at 10am local time. Be a part of this historic event!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2016, 10:07:23 AM »

Apologise to who? To those who didn't like the album? There is still a lot of people who have liked it (and yes, I got the irony).

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2016, 12:54:30 PM »
Apology to a bunch of people who miss "BY THE GRACE OF GOD ABOVE EVERYONE SURVIVED ROOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"

Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2016, 01:37:28 PM »

Apologise to who? To those who didn't like the album? There is still a lot of people who have liked it (and yes, I got the irony).

B.Lee

"Now wait a minute man.  That's not how it is.  You must be confused."
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2016, 02:07:28 PM »
Looks like the time for my 1st post on the forum has come. I've been following the threads for a while, but never decided to post untill now.

Don't know if any of you guys saw this, but Mangini tweeted about transcribing two monster songs for the 2017 tour, and I'm pretty sure that "monster" refers to long/epic songs. I first thought about ACOS and/or Octavarium, but now they've confirmed the IAW tour, i'm almost sure they'll play ACOS.

I'll leave the link to his tweet here: https://twitter.com/ManginiMike/status/798421746638618624

My guess?

-I&W complete
-A change of seasons

Encore:

-Octavarium.

Hell yeah!
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2016, 02:52:16 PM »
Looks like the time for my 1st post on the forum has come. I've been following the threads for a while, but never decided to post untill now.

My guess?

-I&W complete
-A change of seasons

Encore:

-Octavarium.

Hell yeah!

That would be an AMAZING setlist. I just feel bad for James if he has to sing all the high notes on IAW, ACOS and then try to sing "Trapped inside this Octavariuuuuuuuuuuuuum" with that high note there :eek
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2016, 03:05:40 PM »
I think James knows better than to try to sing all those high notes on tour.  Any singer will tell you that it can't be sustained show after show.  James is pretty good at improvising those sections of songs in order to save his voice.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2016, 03:36:47 PM »
Apology to a bunch of people who miss "BY THE GRACE OF GOD ABOVE EVERYONE SURVIVED ROOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"

:rollin  :rollin yup, so much this.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2016, 04:00:44 PM »
The fanboi in me will always be a  :sadpanda: because DT didn't do an Astonishing/Greatest Hits tour after the first Astonishing leg. I think that would have been so awesome and they would have had better attendance. I also think it would have made a ton of sense considering it was basically their 30th anniversary.

That said, I'm sure they'll do something like that in the future, and The Astonishing is one of my favorite albums of theirs, so I'll live. :metal
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2016, 04:10:47 PM »
Here's my recipe for a special one-off U.S. show:

Set One:  I&W complete:
               Pull Me Under (with Erotomania instrumental section)
               Another Day (with Jay Beckenstein)
               Take the Time
               Surrounded
               Metropolis
               Under a Glass Moon
               Wait For Sleep (with Kevin Moore)
               Learning to Live

Set Two:  I&W Selections from ADTOE (haha!):
               On the Backs of Angels
               Lost Not Forgotten
               Outcry
               Far From Heaven
               Breaking All Illusions
               To Live Forever
               Surrender to Reason
               Our New World

Encore:    A Change of Seasons (1993 version)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2016, 04:11:02 PM »
I hear you, TOX.  That press sampler they sent out really had a great selection of tracks that gave a good overview of The Astonishing (even if it didn't really give a good feel for the story).  Using that as a basis and making a couple of additions, they could have put together a really tight TA set that they could have paired with a hits set to really generate a lot of interest.  Oh well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2016, 05:04:39 PM »
Here's my recipe for a special one-off U.S. show:

Set One:  I&W complete:
               Pull Me Under (with Raw Dog instrumental section)
               Another Day (with Jay Beckenstein)
               Take the Time
               Surrounded
               Metropolis
               Under a Glass Moon
               Wait For Sleep (with Mike Portnoy)
               Learning to Live

I felt like you were missing what the fans really want, so I took the liberty to slightly alter your first set.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2016, 05:28:36 PM »
Thank you CDRice, your changes are more appropriate, likely and tasteful.   :lol

Offline Pettor

« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2016, 01:20:09 AM »
Wow, they are doing 3 concerts in Sweden one being very close to me for the first time. Not really sure why Sweden got all Nordic attention, hope Finland and Norway get some concerts as well :)

So excited for this. I liked TA but felt very hungry for normal DT concert since the last where they celebrated Awake and Scenes was completely insane! Best concert I've seen! Now it's I&W with possibility for a 20+ epic ... I don't find the words to describe the excitement that sentence gives me :omg:

Edit: Actually if I hear 8V again I will be forever grateful ... something I was already previous time I heard 8V. ACOS is pretty damn fine as well.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2016, 02:18:13 AM »
I'll be in Prag. I think ACOS is a good guess, also I think they'll play at least one or two songs from TA, maybe Our New World and A New Beginning (two songs which imho are working well outside the musical concept of the album). Maybe they'll play some of the proggier FII stuff, since it's also its 20th anniversary. Lines In The Sand for example, because they played Trial Of Tears on Along FT Ride. I'd love Hell's kitchen before Lines In The Sand ;)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline thedrumanimal

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2016, 02:39:38 AM »
Hey guys, I have a problem with my ticket order for Hamburg, Germany. I ordered yesterday (that was the presale, right?) and you ordered directly via the website from DT. When you click the same link today, you are forwarded to Eventim.

My concern is that I did not receive any confirmation mail or anything. Did anyone else had the same problem? Any suggestions? There is a support link, I already dropped them an email...

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2016, 04:36:07 AM »
Meh.  I'm gutted that there's not gonna be a proper UK tour for The Astonishing.  Very sad that I'll probably never get to experience the show live.

Huh? The first show of the tour was London!

Yup.  One venue in London isn't exactly a UK tour though is it?
They never do a UK tour.  They do a European tour.

They usually play several UK dates at venues across the country.  This time they played in London only, so I kinda thought they'd be back later in the year to do the usual run of venues (Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow, etc). 

Ah well, I'll make damn sure I catch the tour for The Astonishing Part 2 in 2018...
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2016, 05:15:07 AM »
Well, they explicitly stated that the first leg of the european tour was a very exclusive tour hitting only a select few cities. They said that if you wanted to see them, you should make travel plans...

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2016, 05:20:11 AM »
Just the one UK date would be fine with me - so long as I get tickets for it! But it would be nice if they could see their way to a few more UK venues - they are playing 3 dates in Sweden, hardly the most populous of countries.

Travelling to Europe is expensive, both in terms of cost and time off work. America may be massive, but it's relatively cheap to get around.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Pettor

« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2016, 06:25:38 AM »
Yeah the Sweden thingy is confusing. Dream Theater is popular here but not much more than others. Partille Arena where they will play is a concert/sports hall I never heard of before and I live here. It looks good, just that Gothenburg is the big city and Partille just outside. But I would go to UK/Germany to see this and Sweden is cold and nice country, so please visit us  ;D

Offline Nofire

« Reply #127 on: November 18, 2016, 07:50:32 AM »
Many of you are talking as if this is going to be "an evening with". Has this been confirmed? Just got my tickets for Stockholm and I can't wait!!!
Trapped inside this Octavarium

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #128 on: November 18, 2016, 08:31:30 AM »
Many of you are talking as if this is going to be "an evening with". Has this been confirmed? Just got my tickets for Stockholm and I can't wait!!!

Yeah it is "An Evening With". One set is I&W, the other set, miscellaneous stuff. At least I think so. They have no opening act, so...
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #129 on: November 18, 2016, 08:51:57 AM »
Yup, I've read elswhere it was a 3 hour show.

90 minutes or slightly less of other stuff
60 minutes of I&W

30 minutes of encore, be it ACoS or more songs  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nofire

« Reply #130 on: November 18, 2016, 09:05:17 AM »
Yup, I've read elswhere it was a 3 hour show.

90 minutes or slightly less of other stuff
60 minutes of I&W

30 minutes of encore, be it ACoS or more songs  ;D

Aaaaaaw yessss! Here's hoping for TGP/TDS combo they did on the 8VM tour. Not making the effort to see them in Stockholm then still haunts me.
Trapped inside this Octavarium

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #131 on: November 18, 2016, 01:43:45 PM »
Interesting thought with TGP/TDS combo... they could easily fit the whole 12SS into the set. Could even be something ridiculous like ...

Octavarium
12 Step Suite
-Intermission-
Images And Words
-Encore-
A Change of Seasons

Which made me think... anyone else think maybe they're doing this I&W tour to combat MP's Shattered Fortress next year, which could potentially take away ticket sales from them if they didn't do something cool themselves?
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2016, 01:50:45 PM »
Playing the Twelve Step suite would such a kick in MPs balls and very childish I think. Although I would love to compare the two versions!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #133 on: November 18, 2016, 02:17:34 PM »
I'm not sure if DT would play the 12 step suite, ACOS, or The Best of Times as it seems those songs are very personal to MP.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2016, 02:32:30 PM »
I'm not sure if DT would play the 12 step suite, ACOS, or The Best of Times as it seems those songs are very personal to MP.

I don't think ACoS matters much since MP had said that it's about more than his mother. But I agree about the 12SS and absolutely about TBoT.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2016, 02:33:47 PM »
I think they'll never play The Best Of Times, but ACOS seems fine to me. Plus, they have played parts of the 12 Step Suite. But I mean, now that Portnoy will play it with another band this year, it would be kind of an insult to do the same at the same time. Almost as if they were trying to steal his fans away or something.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2016, 02:53:33 PM »
I have no idea why they'd play the 12SS. Not even because of Mike, but because it makes no sense logistically.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2016, 03:00:47 PM »
I think we'll finally get the bigger picture live
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2016, 03:49:14 PM »
I have no idea why they'd play the 12SS. Not even because of Mike, but because it makes no sense logistically.

I agree, it makes no sense at all. They have played two songs from the suite, but just as DT songs they wanted to play. They definitely have no interest on playing the whole thing from start to finish, that was a Portnoy thing, same way with medleys and covers.

Also, if they did the 12SS, that would bring even MORE comparisons between DT and MP's SF after he performs next year and lots of people would go nuts on either side.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #139 on: November 18, 2016, 08:33:53 PM »
Yeah, I don't see them playing the 12SS in one go, unfortunately. Hopefully they'll finally bring back out TGP or any of the other songs, but given how much time they're already devoting to an entire album, I don't see them devoting another whole hour to the 12SS as an unadvertised afterthought.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.