Author Topic: Euro 2017 Winter - Images And Words and Beyond  (Read 58974 times)

Offline GuitarWizard

Re: Euro 2017 Winter - Images And Words and Beyond
« Reply #315 on: April 27, 2017, 08:40:57 AM »
Heres some audio/video I have to share. Video is average but audio is really good. You can kind of hear how intense the kick drum was in Take the time. I have some more but not sure if it's worth putting up as I only have audio.

Take the time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pxc6RR-0oo
Another day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2P44sHA76s

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #316 on: April 27, 2017, 10:20:05 AM »
Awesome show in Tilburg last night. Although the crowd was a bit tame at the start/first set. I've heard ACOS and can now die a content man.  :hefdaddy

Awesome show!
Everybody were on fire.. loved every bit of it

Amazing show! Nice to see JP taking the talking spot before Wait for Sleep. He had some great stories about the years before I&W.
It looked like JR had some kind of injury as he was treating his arm with towels during the Mangini solo and didn't use his keytar this time.

Offline dodido253

« Reply #317 on: April 29, 2017, 03:34:32 AM »
Some footage that I took from Tilburg:
Learning to Live - https://youtu.be/d8hno1fxIKI
As I am solo - https://youtu.be/305Mf2bJy5g
Take The Time - https://youtu.be/x3ybmDeyFAI

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #318 on: April 29, 2017, 09:29:17 AM »
Great show in Tilburg last night. The first half was fine but JLB was probably saving his voice for the Images and ACOS segment. And that was absolutely phenomenal to witness. Really liked the talking to the audience bits, and JP throwing in some Glasgow Kiss! The Jaco Pastorius tribute I didn't feel all that much, but it made As I Am hit really hard afterwards.

I considered going and really wanted to, but the tickets were so expensive. Good to hear that it was nice though! Were there many people attending? Since they only just played 013 a couple of months back and this show was moved from AFAS to 013.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #319 on: April 29, 2017, 02:01:23 PM »
Great show in Tilburg last night. The first half was fine but JLB was probably saving his voice for the Images and ACOS segment. And that was absolutely phenomenal to witness. Really liked the talking to the audience bits, and JP throwing in some Glasgow Kiss! The Jaco Pastorius tribute I didn't feel all that much, but it made As I Am hit really hard afterwards.

I considered going and really wanted to, but the tickets were so expensive. Good to hear that it was nice though! Were there many people attending? Since they only just played 013 a couple of months back and this show was moved from AFAS to 013.

Well the balcony was closed and the main floor was busy but not packed. Suits me better than how packed Opeth was in 013. Also,  in contrast to that show there wasn't a lot of talking throughout the gig and moderate filming with phones. The loud talking is a major problem in our country, with artists even referring to it as the Dutch Disease.  :lol

Edit: for me it's a problem, of course. Not for everybody.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #320 on: April 29, 2017, 03:11:48 PM »
There's actually a good crowd shot in the beginning of the TTT video. The website says it's 2300 capacity with balconies closed, so sounds like 2000 or so were at the gig.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #321 on: April 30, 2017, 06:26:59 AM »
Went to Bilbao concert last night.

It was good but not great.

Jordan and the two Johns were on fire. I loved the Jaco tribute, and the three of them played their ass off. A 10 out of 10.

James singed very beautifully during the first part of the set and during Sorrounded and Wait for Sleep. But the rest... buff there were some embarrasing singing moments yesterday to be honest. The kind of singing so out of pitch that you wouldnīt want a friend to hear. It is not just that he canīt hit the highest notes. The problem is that even without attempting them the vocal parts are still too hard to pull out and in the end it shows and he sounds very strained.

This is the 6th gig I have seen of DT with Mangini, and by far the worst one on the drumming part. He just makes the music sound worse. There were a couple of good ideas, like the part following his solo on Metropolis, but for the most part his drumming sounded robotic and uninspired. How I miss Portnoy.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:39:24 AM by Siddhartha »

Offline juan20sa

« Reply #322 on: April 30, 2017, 08:11:16 AM »
The gig in Barcelona was amazing. Everyone played their instruments perfectly and LaBrie sang really well (he modified some parts of the first set), I didn't expect him to sing that good.

The venue was full and there was a lot of energy there, the band was really enjoying it. The sound was perfect, Petrucci's guitars sounded really aggressive and full. I loved the modifications of some songs and the extra solos. A Change of Seasons was the highlight of the night.

It's definitely the best concert I have ever seen.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #323 on: April 30, 2017, 08:48:20 AM »
I really liked the Tilburg show but I can definitely see why some would find Mangini's playing robotic. The clicktrack makes everything even more rigid. One obvious moment was the transition in ACOS out of the Another World solo into that heavy downtuned riff. On the Metropolis DVD the tempo goes down, giving it that nice and heavy feel. Now the tempo remained constant which was a bit weird.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #324 on: April 30, 2017, 09:25:06 AM »
Today is the day :D

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #325 on: April 30, 2017, 09:29:37 AM »
Rex Manning Day?

Offline lucasembarbosa

« Reply #326 on: April 30, 2017, 10:05:14 AM »
Rex Manning Day?

Didn't get it...  :huh:

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #327 on: April 30, 2017, 10:07:05 AM »
Rex Manning Day?

Say no more....

...mon amour.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #328 on: April 30, 2017, 10:22:54 AM »
Oh Rexy, you're so sexy.

Offline dodido253

« Reply #329 on: April 30, 2017, 12:09:28 PM »
John Petrucci Speech - Tilburg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNfUc3S8QgY

Offline Mladen

« Reply #330 on: April 30, 2017, 12:33:41 PM »
It's slightly awkward seeing John being the one talking to the audience for so long, but it was an informative, interesting speech and, like James said, he's really good at this.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #331 on: April 30, 2017, 01:06:29 PM »
That was awesome!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline V_R11

« Reply #332 on: April 30, 2017, 01:09:21 PM »
John Petrucci Speech - Tilburg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNfUc3S8QgY

I literally laughed out loud, this was amazing  :lol Thanks for sharing!
Seasons change and so can I

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #333 on: April 30, 2017, 02:57:48 PM »
I love listening to JP. The guy could talk about his car repair and I'd still love it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #334 on: April 30, 2017, 03:00:58 PM »
I love listening to JP. The guy could talk about his car repair and I'd still love it.

I'm surprised you'd love anything about DT nowadays...;)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #335 on: April 30, 2017, 05:51:49 PM »

It's car repairs, not DT!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #336 on: April 30, 2017, 08:03:40 PM »

He meant to say that he would only love JP talking about getting his car repaired. Nothing else.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #337 on: April 30, 2017, 08:06:50 PM »
TRAPPED INSIDE THIS CAR REPAIR SHOP!!

TRAPPED. INSIDE. THIS. CAR. REPAIR. SHOOOOOOOPPPPP.....

But enough of this kumbaya session, I'm getting all teary-eyed. :lol
Back to business: I listened to the Bilbao Metropolis video on YouTube, and man, yeah...

Offline lucasembarbosa

« Reply #338 on: May 01, 2017, 11:21:42 AM »
Anybody who went to the shows noticed that JP is using the NOMAC Majesty during The Gift of Music/Our New World?

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #339 on: May 01, 2017, 02:35:35 PM »
Anybody who went to the shows noticed that JP is using the NOMAC Majesty during The Gift of Music/Our New World?

Yes, I was there last night (in Porto) as well. He has been using the NOMAC Majesty to play "Our New World" on this tour. I had seen the band in Stockholm last February and he was already doing that back then. Got to say that last night's show was pretty darn amazing. I think I liked it even better than the one I witnessed in Stockholm. And I must point out that the guys looked pretty animated too. James, in particular, was very engaging. He talked to audience often and did his best to get the crowd going multiple times. He sounded considerably better than on the previous leg too. I guess that  why I was never able to understand why people complain about the band's lack of presence and James' supposed inability to behave himself like a true frontman. I've seen these guys 9 times since 2000 and they've always delivered.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 04:22:57 PM by SjundeInseglet »

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #340 on: May 01, 2017, 03:16:36 PM »

Yes. Very cool looking guitar. All his Ernie Ball Majestys are beautiful.

Offline lucasembarbosa

« Reply #341 on: May 02, 2017, 06:55:42 PM »
Looks like James saved his voice between the middle songs of I&W, to unleash it all in ACOS, his performance was flawless!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #342 on: May 02, 2017, 08:10:07 PM »
 At which show?

Offline lucasembarbosa

« Reply #343 on: May 03, 2017, 03:19:12 AM »
At which show?

Coliseu do Porto, last sunday. Specially during Another World and The Crimson Sunset:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK8GT2X7Kso

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #344 on: May 03, 2017, 03:42:42 AM »
That was pretty damn good. He didn't try to oversing anything.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #345 on: May 03, 2017, 04:59:58 AM »
Agreed! Here's another good one from London - the sound is a bit wonky to start with, but improves after a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YefVvuMrrOU

The solo starting at https://youtu.be/YefVvuMrrOU?t=893 is a top DT moment for me. I could never get tired of listening to that part.

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #346 on: May 03, 2017, 05:01:07 AM »
That was pretty damn good. He didn't try to oversing anything.

James has been in much better shape on this leg. Sure, he will change a melody or two here and there but that's not detrimental to the songs. Seems like he (or the band) has worked out definite alternate parts to the ones that are just too hard to pull off live (such as the "pensive fear" section in "Take The Time"). I liked the show I saw on the first leg of the tour too but the concert I saw last Sunday was indeed better. James' vocal improvement aside, the band just seemed to be slightly more into it. The added intro/improv to "Hell's Kitchen" was really cool too. I particularly liked the fact they deliberately take the time (pun kind of intented) to share a lot of interesting stories from the Images and Words days with the audience. Seems to me they have actually expanded these moments on the current leg (which makes this tour particulary memorable).

Offline Mladen

« Reply #347 on: May 03, 2017, 06:51:29 AM »
There's an enormous amount of work going into alternating vocal melodies and therefore I must give James a lot of credit. It requires him sitting down, figuring out which of the vocal sections are difficult, exhausting or uncomfortable, and finding out the alternative ways of singing them while still staying powerful, convincing and in key. There are quite a few sections and songs to be covered, so I really admire him for the hard work put into all of this. Kudos!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #348 on: May 03, 2017, 01:18:15 PM »

James has been in much better shape on this leg. Sure, he will change a melody or two here and there but that's not detrimental to the songs. Seems like he (or the band) has worked out definite alternate parts to the ones that are just too hard to pull off live (such as the "pensive fear" section in "Take The Time"

I find very interesting what he is doing with that part... well, when I first heard the bootleg of it, I thought WTF, James is loosing breath or what ?!  ;D ;D ;D. Now I get that is intentional and it's really cool :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #349 on: May 03, 2017, 01:29:42 PM »
Do you have a link to a recent (and good) performance of it?  I know there have been a lot of links posted recently to various things, but I have not been keeping up. 

And I will also reiterate the obvious fact that we all know, which is, that passage in that song is one of the most difficult, if not THE most difficult, vocal passages in the entire DT catalog. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."