Author Topic: Euro 2017 Winter - Images And Words and Beyond  (Read 58938 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Euro 2017 Winter - Images And Words and Beyond
« Reply #245 on: April 15, 2017, 09:32:40 AM »
Most likely not. It's been almost five years since the last time they switched songs around.

Not true.  They switched things at the end of the TA tour (adding three older songs as the encore and cutting a few TA songs). :biggrin:

Offline Mladen

« Reply #246 on: April 17, 2017, 10:54:13 AM »
Yeah, that was quite a radical move in terms of making the set list fresh and different.  :lol

But technically, you're right.  ;D

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: April 17, 2017, 10:49:49 PM »
What about the second leg of the european TA tour?
They threw out most of what they had played on the first leg (only kept 3 songs) and replaced that with completely different songs most of them from way back in time...

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #248 on: April 18, 2017, 03:39:09 AM »
And then TSCO and ALLB were dropped...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #249 on: April 18, 2017, 06:11:17 PM »
Anyone going to the Manchester show? Going on my tod so if anybody wants to meet for a beer I'm game. 

Offline Fredo96993

« Reply #250 on: April 19, 2017, 05:34:43 PM »
I just got back from the Manchester show. My dad has seen them in 2000, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 and three times in 2014 and he thought it was the best show he's seen them play. I really enjoyed my three AFTR shows but this was even better. The band seemed to be having a lot of fun and there was a lot of joking about. I will add more about that tomorrow but the best bit was before WFS when JP sat on JLB's knee and said "Tell me a story uncle James." JR then played a lullaby tune.
In terms of musical extras the end of As I Am had One and Master of Puppets snippets (drumming from "darkness imprisoning me" and the main riff of MOP on guitar) and the end of LtL had a Cygnus X-1 excerpt (I think it's Part Three, the bit on R40 when it comes back in after the drum solo).

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #251 on: April 19, 2017, 07:33:47 PM »
I just got back from the Manchester show. My dad has seen them in 2000, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 and three times in 2014 and he thought it was the best show he's seen them play. I really enjoyed my three AFTR shows but this was even better. The band seemed to be having a lot of fun and there was a lot of joking about. I will add more about that tomorrow but the best bit was before WFS when JP sat on JLB's knee and said "Tell me a story uncle James." JR then played a lullaby tune.
In terms of musical extras the end of As I Am had One and Master of Puppets snippets (drumming from "darkness imprisoning me" and the main riff of MOP on guitar) and the end of LtL had a Cygnus X-1 excerpt (I think it's Part Three, the bit on R40 when it comes back in after the drum solo).

Wow, that's great to hear! It's nice to see how people love these shows, hope I'm able to see them live someday. Thanks for sharing your experience with us  :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline lordnafaryus

• Living the Dream :)
« Reply #252 on: April 20, 2017, 01:48:38 AM »

Sounds like a great night, I'm seeing them for the first time in Cardiff on Saturday, can't wait  :laugh:

Offline onnet5

« Reply #253 on: April 20, 2017, 04:43:13 AM »
Went Manchester last night, great show, James sounded good and he's definitely changed some of the vocal melodies on the extra strenuous stuff to preserve his voice but he still belted out a lot of the difficult sections so credit to him. Seemed they had a couple of technical issues with their monitors I'm guessing, most notably with James on Pull me Under, and Petrucci also got out of place but it sounded great!

Rudess also swapped out his keytar for a keytar with 2 ipads attached to it, is this something new?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #254 on: April 20, 2017, 05:58:51 AM »
I can cr towers excellent last night in Manchester. James is doing a great job at the moment - even if he fucks up PMU 😀

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #255 on: April 20, 2017, 06:59:25 AM »
. . .  a keytar with 2 ipads attached to it, is this something new?
I'm trying to picture what that would look like.  Seems like it would be really awkward and cumbersome.  Would love to see a picture.

Offline onnet5

« Reply #256 on: April 20, 2017, 08:49:05 AM »
I'm trying to picture what that would look like.  Seems like it would be really awkward and cumbersome.  Would love to see a picture.

It looked awkward he had to balance it on his knee.

Offline CB

« Reply #257 on: April 20, 2017, 10:44:44 AM »
'

at 3:00  (only pictures, I'd love to see a video of that!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixZYhqK7ibc

Some great videos from the Manchester gig:

The bigger picture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Ifu0beg-s

Surrounded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6hRUci8LWk

Wait for sleep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQKxgafeXDw

JP solo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaSE-UMJJCw

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #258 on: April 20, 2017, 11:29:27 AM »
Thanks!  That is as awkward as I imagined :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #259 on: April 20, 2017, 11:54:05 AM »

Your wish is my command. Not my pic, but from Manchester last night.

https://flic.kr/p/TZcYKN

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:26:51 PM by Lowdz »

Offline genome

« Reply #260 on: April 20, 2017, 01:02:02 PM »
Just got back from Manchester, was over visiting a friend so we managed to fit in a DT show with it  :biggrin:

It was a really enjoyable show. Great vibe and great energy, sound generally was spot on (though maybe a touch overloud and James could've come down in the mix a little) - drums were really punchy and my god JP's new signature amp sounded EPIC  :hefdaddy I mean like, mountainously huge. Much better than the Palladium gigs (but I guess that's the theatre PA for you).

Top highlights were:

TDEN - really tight, especially for an opener
Hell's Kitchen - had reservations about this after watching some videos on Youtube and some other reviews, but they nailed it, and the energy definitely went up in the room afterwards
BAI - The best version of the solo I have witnessed - and I have seen this song performed 4 times before last night
Take the Time - Great jam section at the end

There were a few mistakes, JLB coming in at the wrong time in Pull Me Under, and Mangini cocked up a bit of Metropolis and Learning to Live, the latter very nearly being a proper trainwreck, but they pulled it back. Also, rather funny when the soundguy didn't realise JP had started the beginning of ACOS and had to gradually fade him in  :rollin

Nitpicking though. It was probably the most I enjoyed a DT show since perhaps 2012. Definitely at least top 3 all-time. Great stuff - now tempted with London on Sunday...

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #261 on: April 20, 2017, 01:13:20 PM »

Sorted, sort of. See post above.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:27:45 PM by Lowdz »

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #262 on: April 20, 2017, 03:07:39 PM »
Hell's Kitchen - had reservations about this after watching some videos on Youtube and some other reviews, but they nailed it, and the energy definitely went up in the room afterwards

Did you noticed if Mangini played HK like he was playing it on tour or like the studio version? Thanks!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline the-glass-prison

« Reply #263 on: April 20, 2017, 04:58:48 PM »
PMU was fixed tonight.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #264 on: April 21, 2017, 06:39:04 AM »
Went to Manchester on Wed night and was up there with my favourite DT shows I've seen, wouldn't go as far as the best but right up there.

I went in there thinking the first set was not going to be that inspired but by the end of it, I remember turning to my mate and saying I'd actually have been pretty happy if that was the show and we still have Images and ACOS to come.  Petrucci was just in incredible form, his guitar sounded amazing, gorgeous tone and crystal clear in the mix.  Jordan was a bit drowned out at times though.  Hells Kitchen was the highlight of set one for me but really enjoyed hearing The Bigger Picture for the first time and Breaking All Illusions was awesome with Petrucci starring again.

Images and Words sounded great, James did tone certain vocal parts down in the early songs up to and including Take The Time (that Petrucci solo at the end was something else) but he just altered the melody a little at those points and it sounded fine.  He seemed to really go for it afterwards, hitting everything in UAGM and LTL in particular, can't say for sure with Metropolis but don't remember him not going for big notes.  Seemed to warm to the task as the album progressed.  Very very impressed with JLB singing these 25 year old songs pretty much as they were on the record at his age.  I really didn't notice errors from Mangini in Metropolis or LTL, thought they were incredible and very far from being a train wreck.

ACOS was just spine-tingling, that's all I can say.

All in all a special show for DT (and I've seen them on every tour from FII onwards) and would recommend all fans to see this.  If I'm being greedy, I would have loved Mike Portnoy to have been there for this tour more than any of the others.  This is not a slight in any way on Mangini who was stunning, just purely for sentimental reasons and particularly with I&W and ACOS being played in full, would have been great to see MP celebrating this stuff.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #265 on: April 21, 2017, 06:44:41 AM »
Should also add that this was as engaging a front man as James has ever been, really enjoyed him on the night.

Offline genome

« Reply #266 on: April 21, 2017, 06:49:06 AM »
I really didn't notice errors from Mangini in Metropolis or LTL, thought they were incredible and very far from being a train wreck.

Really? He got completely lost! It sounded really obvious to me and the people on my row were looking at each other wondering what was going on!

After the song he came out from the drum kit looking embarrassed (in a playful way) and started hitting his hand in frustration  :lol

Agree with the rest of your review though  :tup

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #267 on: April 21, 2017, 09:20:16 AM »
Hi all,

Regular lurker in the background here but rarely post, however I am a big fan of most of the discussion here.

I have a query regarding the UK shows the last few days. I was wondering what time the shows finished (and what time they begun for reference).

Along with a few friends, I am going to the Cardiff show tomorrow night. Doors are at 6:30 (which is early), so i presume the show will begin 7-7:30? Only thing is, the last train home for us is at 11:05pm. I'm really hoping the gig finishes with enough time for us to hit this train.

Does anyone have any insight on this who's been to shows the last few days? Have they started at similar times and if so, what time was the finish. Thanks.

Offline krands85

« Reply #268 on: April 21, 2017, 09:50:31 AM »
Hi all,

Regular lurker in the background here but rarely post, however I am a big fan of most of the discussion here.

I have a query regarding the UK shows the last few days. I was wondering what time the shows finished (and what time they begun for reference).

Along with a few friends, I am going to the Cardiff show tomorrow night. Doors are at 6:30 (which is early), so i presume the show will begin 7-7:30? Only thing is, the last train home for us is at 11:05pm. I'm really hoping the gig finishes with enough time for us to hit this train.

Does anyone have any insight on this who's been to shows the last few days? Have they started at similar times and if so, what time was the finish. Thanks.
I believe they've all been about 8pm-10.45pm. But that does seem like an early door time (Glasgow last night was 7pm).

I'd check with the venue on the day, they might have an earlier curfew than normal. Have a look on the Facebook/twitter pages of the venue and the promoter - Glasgow's venue posted the show times on its FB page yesterday.

It was a brilliant show last night anyway - seeing my favourite album in full and finally getting to hear Learning to Live and Metropolis live was incredible. Plus I managed to get a great seat in the second row, right opposite JP. Great performance all round, James did really well and I think he made smart choices with the alterations of some of the vocal lines. I always love watching Mangini's hilarious facial expressions too  :lol The little alterations from the studio versions of some of the songs were nice as well.

Definitely my favourite DT show I've seen.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline onnet5

« Reply #269 on: April 21, 2017, 10:02:40 AM »
Hi all,

Was as follows in Manchester:

Set 1: 20:00
Interval: 21:00 - 21:20
Set 2 + Encore: 21:20 - 23:00

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #270 on: April 21, 2017, 10:34:48 AM »
Was the same in Glasgow.  Doors open at 7, show start at 8 and end at 11.

Got to say my main thought coming out of the show was how impressed I was with Mike Mangini.  He was so animated and into the music, couldn't take my eyes off him.  Filled the music with enough of his own parts but still stuck to what the songs needed when required.  He just had this childish look of sheer joy on his face for most of the show that was so great to see :D

Offline V_R11

« Reply #271 on: April 21, 2017, 12:51:16 PM »

Got to say my main thought coming out of the show was how impressed I was with Mike Mangini.  He was so animated and into the music, couldn't take my eyes off him.  Filled the music with enough of his own parts but still stuck to what the songs needed when required.  He just had this childish look of sheer joy on his face for most of the show that was so great to see :D

Honestly watching Mangini perform is fun. He is clearly so into it and excited and unlike the other guys actually smiles multiple times on stage. He said in an interview it's because he sees how much the fans are enjoying it, that's the reason he has fun

He was like that when I met him at the m&g as well. That was probably the highlight of it for me, MM being all cheery like a child. I love it
Seasons change and so can I

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #272 on: April 21, 2017, 02:17:44 PM »

Honestly watching Mangini perform is fun. He is clearly so into it and excited and unlike the other guys actually smiles multiple times on stage. He said in an interview it's because he sees how much the fans are enjoying it, that's the reason he has fun

He was like that when I met him at the m&g as well. That was probably the highlight of it for me, MM being all cheery like a child. I love it

And that's even more impressive, considering all the criticism he still gets even after almost 7 years in the band. Great drumming + great attitude = Mike Mangini.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline devieira73

« Reply #273 on: April 21, 2017, 04:02:52 PM »
To anyone who already saw this leg of tour, Mangini modified his approach to HK, playing closer to the studio version?

Offline lordnafaryus

« Reply #274 on: April 22, 2017, 03:57:06 AM »
Hi all,

I'm going to the Cardiff show tonight too, can't wait! I'm in the same situation, Motorpoint are saying the show is scheduled to finish at 11pm and my last possible train home is around 11:07 so I may have to miss some/all of the encore so as not to miss the train :(

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #275 on: April 22, 2017, 04:51:48 AM »
To anyone who already saw this leg of tour, Mangini modified his approach to HK, playing closer to the studio version?
There's a video on YT with some excerpts from the show of April 18th or 19th... He got pretty much closer to the original track than during the first leg! If I find it again I'll post here.

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF5BEcahu2Q

Offline devieira73

« Reply #276 on: April 22, 2017, 08:06:37 AM »
Although the song isn't complete on that video, it seems he's playing all the nuances of the cymbals now, which is very good!!!

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #277 on: April 22, 2017, 08:13:53 AM »
Judging by YT videos James seems more energic and powerful on the stage. I like the vocal changes for the hard parts. But he still throws nice high notes as well.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #278 on: April 22, 2017, 06:21:11 PM »
Just got back from Cardiff. Like half the venue was cut off and there were still many many empty seats.

Where I was in the stand all of the stage gear was piled on one side of the stage so we couldnt see Jordan. Attendance was so down they literally moved the whole block into the middle seating. The whole thing was a bit of a disaster to be honest.

The band however were on fire! Just to let you know James nailed everything and those bits he had been struggling on he has cleverly change to suit him.

James rambled on and on and they had to cut the James/Jordan jam at the end of LTL.  :D

Mike Mangini is just awesome and fun to watch, the solo was amazing!

Being all seated in the middle kills a bit of the atmosphere for me - and like I said there were plenty of empty seats everywhere. Cant think what the band must've thought. I was begging for a small group to stand and for the rest to follow suit!

Highlights for me were Take The Time, Metropolis and ACOS.

Offline lordnafaryus

« Reply #279 on: April 22, 2017, 06:55:45 PM »
Cardiff was incredible, my first DT show and absolutely worth the wait!

Everything sounded great, and it was especially decent to really hear/feel Myung's bass in the live sound, 'As I AM' was particularly great and he was really going for it.

James sounded amazing! The way some people describe him on here I wasn't 100% sure what to expect but he blew me away. He was only slightly restrained in places ('Take the Time' and 'Under a Glass Moon', with the exception of the final chorus) but mostly he really went for it, 'Learning to Live' in particular sounded incredible, and pretty close to the record for most of it.

Drum solo was awesome, and Petrucci is just an animal, note perfect all night.

As Jinx says, the show wasn't sold out and you could see empty seats, but tbf every gig I've been to at Motorpoint looks like it isn't full, it's just a crazy big arena, but the crowd was into it.

And James promised they'd come back to Wales next week.... Though he may have been kidding  :D

I could go on, but I'm just rambling, so happy I finally got to see this band!  :tup