Author Topic: Euro 2017 Winter - Images And Words and Beyond  (Read 58942 times)

Online mikeyd23

Re: Euro 2017 Winter - Images And Words and Beyond
« Reply #210 on: March 06, 2017, 09:27:17 AM »
Gotcha. Seems focused on the cymbals and the overhead mics.

Right, and cymbals often can bleed into the vocal mic when in front of the drums. I think that's all it is.

That's the reason, indeed. I remembered reading it somewhere, so looked for the article and found it: https://www.fohonline.com/ci/50-production-profile/14946-dream-theater-the-astonshing-live-north-american-tour.html

It's kind of an interview/profile of the DT crew for the TA tour. Here's what they said about the plexiglass in the kit:

One interesting application of simple-but-effective technology comes with Mangini’s monster 16-piece drum kit, which has some clear Plexiglas panels hung in front of the set. “They have really helped shield some of the cymbal sound out of the vocal mics,” notes Wilson. “It’s just four (18” x 24” and 12” x 24”) suspended panels and it’s really helped the vocal monitor mix. Without these, the vocal mic turns into a cymbal overhead. It’s not like a big glass wall blocking the drummer and it looks awesome onstage.”

That was a great article, thanks for the link. And yea, I guess that pretty much confirms what they were using the plexi for.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: March 06, 2017, 09:27:48 AM »
I don't keep track of these things, but how far in advance do they usually announce tour dates? It seems odd to not know any concerts beyond May, in March.

They teased us right around Christmas with NA dates soon.... it's been awhile.  I wonder what's up.

Offline CB

« Reply #212 on: March 06, 2017, 02:55:43 PM »
I don't keep track of these things, but how far in advance do they usually announce tour dates? It seems odd to not know any concerts beyond May, in March.

They teased us right around Christmas with NA dates soon.... it's been awhile.  I wonder what's up.

A few days ago JR confirmed that there definitely will be a NA tour but they don't know the dates yet. Strange, that must be difficult for the band as well.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: March 06, 2017, 03:16:51 PM »

A few days ago JR confirmed that there definitely will be a NA tour but they don't know the dates yet. Strange, that must be difficult for the band as well.

Yea I definitely don't think it was a lie or ill meaning by teasing us, but it does make me wonder if there is some struggle with figuring this out.  Giving the timing before, I had assumed a summer tour, but it seems fall is more likely as all the summer tours are being announced.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #214 on: March 09, 2017, 07:13:27 AM »
If summer, I would assume late summer, simply because they usually do festivals.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #215 on: March 09, 2017, 09:12:58 AM »
When I talked to the band at the last Astonishing show, James said that I&W shows for North America probably wouldn't be until fall 2017.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #216 on: March 09, 2017, 09:15:28 AM »
Yeah, that makes the most sense.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #217 on: March 09, 2017, 09:58:04 AM »
But it would be awesome if they would go ahead and release those dates.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #218 on: March 09, 2017, 02:12:17 PM »
Maybe they're holding off on announcing the dates until they have everything completely booked, so that there's not the dribbling of dates that happened last year which irritated some fans that bought tickets for one show, only to find out that a show (much) closer to them was announced later.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #219 on: March 09, 2017, 02:15:52 PM »
Yeah, I know JP was sensitive to how much it bothered people last time around.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #220 on: March 09, 2017, 02:20:19 PM »
^ Good call. I'd much rather wait and have them release all the dates at once, rather than get some dates sooner and some later.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #221 on: March 13, 2017, 12:43:47 PM »
That's cool.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #222 on: March 15, 2017, 12:33:42 PM »
Maybe they're holding off on announcing the dates until they have everything completely booked, so that there's not the dribbling of dates that happened last year which irritated some fans that bought tickets for one show, only to find out that a show (much) closer to them was announced later.
Funny thing, I literally had the tix in the shopping cart for the Budapest show, which is a 12 hour train ride away. I was filling in my credit card info, but for some reason I stopped and didn't confirm the order. Figured I'd wait a few more days, maybe they'll announce somewhere closer. Right on cue, the very next morning they announced a show in my hometown. Dodged a huge one there.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Lazlow Panaflex

« Reply #223 on: March 27, 2017, 04:21:17 AM »
Just got my tix for London show in the post this morning.  Says Dream Theater Plus Special Guests on the ticket.  Have they added a support act?  I caught the show in Paris last month and there were no support acts.  Also it says on the tickets Doors 7pm, no way there would even be time for a support act plus 2 sets from DT.

Anyone else seeing the same on their tickets?

Offline krands85

« Reply #224 on: March 27, 2017, 05:33:18 AM »
Just got my tix for London show in the post this morning.  Says Dream Theater Plus Special Guests on the ticket.  Have they added a support act?  I caught the show in Paris last month and there were no support acts.  Also it says on the tickets Doors 7pm, no way there would even be time for a support act plus 2 sets from DT.

Always seems to say that on tickets. It'll stlil just be DT  :tup
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Lazlow Panaflex

« Reply #225 on: March 27, 2017, 07:30:08 AM »

Always seems to say that on tickets. It'll stlil just be DT  :tup

Ah cool, fair enough.  Unless....maybe we're the special guests?!   ;)

Offline the-glass-prison

« Reply #226 on: March 29, 2017, 12:23:50 PM »
Ordered my Glasgow ticket the day they went on sale through the DT website. Still no ticket as yet. Think it's a company called songkick that's dealing with them. Anyone received theirs that ordered this way? My Manchester ticket from ticketmaster arrived 3 days after I ordered it.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: March 29, 2017, 02:09:20 PM »
Ordered my Glasgow ticket the day they went on sale through the DT website. Still no ticket as yet. Think it's a company called songkick that's dealing with them. Anyone received theirs that ordered this way? My Manchester ticket from ticketmaster arrived 3 days after I ordered it.

I have bought tickets like that and they were picked up at the venue on the day.
Check what your confirmation mail says.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #228 on: March 30, 2017, 03:34:06 AM »
My mate bought our tickets for the Glasgow gig on the day they were released and he got the tickets within 2 weeks of buying them I believe.  I'll double check with him incase i'm remembering incorrectly.  Maybe  there was an option for printing your own e-tickets instead?  If not, you best get in touch with them.

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
« Reply #229 on: March 30, 2017, 03:10:48 PM »
setlist keeps unchanged ..or ?

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #230 on: April 01, 2017, 06:57:42 AM »
I would love to see this tour come to the southern us, but would rather have a new album, preferably heavy.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline V_R11

« Reply #231 on: April 02, 2017, 01:48:14 PM »
I would love to see this tour come to the southern us, but would rather have a new album, preferably heavy.

I've been thinking how much I would love sort of a TOT part 2. Hopefully for 2019. Or late 2018
Seasons change and so can I

Offline dodido253

« Reply #232 on: April 06, 2017, 03:17:59 PM »
www.podiuminfo.nl/news/40445/Show_Dream_Theater_in_AFAS_Live_verplaatst_naar_013/

They changed the location of the show at 25th April- ASAF Amsterdam to Tilburg..
Seems strange
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 03:31:18 PM by dodido253 »

Offline CB

« Reply #233 on: April 06, 2017, 05:18:22 PM »
www.podiuminfo.nl/news/40445/Show_Dream_Theater_in_AFAS_Live_verplaatst_naar_013/

They changed the location of the show at 25th April- ASAF Amsterdam to Tilburg..
Seems strange

Not enough tickets sold? :sad:
Now I'm glad I didn't get a ticket (plus hotel booking in Amsterdam) for that show.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #234 on: April 06, 2017, 11:41:17 PM »
Doesn't Tilburg always have bigger crowds? Remember Transatlantic, Flying Colors and Steven Wilson.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #235 on: April 09, 2017, 03:26:28 PM »
It definitely is a venue with only 2200  capacity, vs AFAS which is 5500.
The story isn't all that different in Germany either. They're not playing in Cologne or Oberhausen (where they usually play), but instead in "Lingen" and "Geiselwind", two podunk towns I had to look up in Google Maps.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 07:58:42 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #236 on: April 12, 2017, 06:25:45 AM »

Seems strange

I'm puzzled as well. It says 'organisationary reasons' or something so yeah, the sales must have been dissapointing. Costs me about an hour extra traveltime.   :(
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline dodido253

« Reply #237 on: April 12, 2017, 03:01:31 PM »

Seems strange

I'm puzzled as well. It says 'organisationary reasons' or something so yeah, the sales must have been dissapointing. Costs me about an hour extra traveltime.   :(

I'm flying all the way from Israel to see them.. already booked flight and hotel at Amsterdam.
I have no choice to accept the reality and take a train.. but I have no doubt that it will be worth the effort :metal 

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #238 on: April 13, 2017, 02:11:19 AM »
Wow, that's very commendable! I shouldn't bitch about the extra distance, really. But I'm worried if it is indeed because of dwindling ticket sales.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline CB

« Reply #239 on: April 13, 2017, 05:44:01 PM »
It definitely is a venue with only 2200  capacity, vs AFAS which is 5500.
The story isn't all that different in Germany either. They're not playing in Cologne or Oberhausen (where they usually play), but instead in "Lingen" and "Geiselwind", two podunk towns I had to look up in Google Maps.

I guess the ticket sales for Amsterdam would have been much better if they hadn't just played a (sold out) show in Tilburg in february. Most fans don't see the same show twice.

They haven't played in Cologne or Oberhausen for a long time, but they usually play in Düsseldorf ... Lingen and Geiselwind are podunk towns, I was very surprised to see them on a DT tour list, but the venues are quite big (capacity in Lingen almost 5.000, in Geiselwind 4.500).

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #240 on: April 14, 2017, 11:09:07 AM »
The 2nd leg of the European tour starts next week, should we expect a couple changes on the setlist?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #241 on: April 14, 2017, 11:32:21 AM »
Most likely not. It's been almost five years since the last time they switched songs around.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #242 on: April 14, 2017, 11:48:15 AM »
Most likely not. It's been almost five years since the last time they switched songs around.

Aren't we allowed to dream?  :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #243 on: April 14, 2017, 02:13:39 PM »
Of course. But expecting isn't dreaming.  ;)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #244 on: April 14, 2017, 02:21:03 PM »
It's another leg, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a change here or there.  I haven't been in touch with the band, so I don't know if they are planning on changing things up at all.  But it wouldn't shock me if they made a couple of tweaks to the "...and more" part of the set.