Author Topic: Euro 2017 Winter - Images And Words and Beyond  (Read 58941 times)

Offline thosava

Re: Euro 2017 Winter - Images And Words and Beyond
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2016, 09:22:38 AM »
An Evening with....

And Mike Mangini said somewhere that he was transcribing two "monstersongs" for the tour.

I am hoping for
- A Change of Seasons
- Octavarium

If they play both Octavarium and A Change of Season (I have seen neither live before) i don't even know i'll be able to handle it. I just can't describe how much i wan't to see I&W, Octavarium and ACOS.
Oh and i bought tickets for the Oslo show earlier today, WHY CAN'T FEBRUARY COME SOONER?

Also: what is the chance of them playing a few highlights from The Astonishing as well?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 10:36:35 AM by thosava »

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2016, 11:07:02 AM »
An Evening with....

And Mike Mangini said somewhere that he was transcribing two "monstersongs" for the tour.

I am hoping for
- A Change of Seasons
- Octavarium

If they play both Octavarium and A Change of Season (I have seen neither live before) i don't even know i'll be able to handle it. I just can't describe how much i wan't to see I&W, Octavarium and ACOS.
Oh and i bought tickets for the Oslo show earlier today, WHY CAN'T FEBRUARY COME SOONER?

Also: what is the chance of them playing a few highlights from The Astonishing as well?

The chance of them playing some Astonishing tracks is 100%

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2016, 08:15:34 AM »
So I guess its looking less and less likely that there'll be any UK dates with each passing day...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Lazlow Panaflex

« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2016, 10:01:50 AM »
So I guess its looking less and less likely that there'll be any UK dates with each passing day...

Yep I was worried they may not add a UK show so I grabbed tix for Paris as soon as they went on sale. 

Not to get all political and stuff but I'd imagine that if DT booked a UK show for Feb/March and then that Brexit Article 50 thingy is invoked by the government right around then it would mean having to apply for visas and wotnot. Could be a whole load of red tape involved there so they may wait until Feb before adding UK dates.

Edit: spelling error
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 12:53:41 PM by Lazlow Panaflex »

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2016, 01:23:57 PM »
I'm also watching out for a UK date.

I don't think the visa thing would be an issue - even if the UK government trigger Article 50 by next March, it will be a couple of years before the UK actually leaves the EU.

It's maybe more of a financial thing, where they're looking at which venues would give the best return on investment.

Offline Peter1960

« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2016, 03:43:56 PM »
I am very disappointed that there has not been a UK date announced as yet and as a previous poster said, it is looking less and less likely that there'll be any UK dates with each passing day.  I also note there have been no dates announced for Spain, another country where they normally play. And yes, to all you US fans, I share your disappointment that you will probably not see this show either.

is it really a financial issue that they are not / maybe not playing the UK ? OK, it took a while for the UK to become an established market for DT, but the last few tours (prior to TA) have seen them play at Wembley Arena (albeit only about 3/4 of the full capacity) which is the second largest venue in London after the 02 Arena.

Their last 3 albums have all reached the top 20 in the UK album chart. Surely their profile is still high enough to justify at least one UK show ?

Whilst writing, it doesn't look at if we'll see a DVD of The Astonishing tour either, even though (I believe) JP said they were definitely looking at doing it. This is a wasted opportunity in my opinion - the amount of investment in music and production was crying out for the show to be captured as a visual spectacle, but unless they do a one off performance in 2017, that will be that.

Peter

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2016, 08:33:27 PM »
To all people commenting on the UK dates: I understand how you feel, DT has only come to my country once, and I wasn't able to go. It sucks not being able to see them play near you, but that's not DT's fault.

When planning a tour, it's basically the promoters from your cities and the band's management that arrange that stuff. If they aren't going, it probably has to do with either the management, the promoters, logistical issues, etc.

Just have patience, they'll return to the UK eventually, not like in my case. I would probably have to save lots of money for a ticket to another country if I ever want to see them live  :-\
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2016, 03:30:06 AM »
While I understand how incredibly frustrating it is for fans that bands can't travel to every country, the fact remains that any band can only travel to countries where it is financially viable to do so. The UK is an established market for Dream Theater, and is one of the largest rock markets in Europe. The UK has a population of 63M, compare that to Norway's mere 5M people and it's insane that the UK would not be featured highly on any European tour. 

My concern is that having seen this band go from the Marquee to the Astoria to Hammersmith Odeon to Wembley Arena, I've then seen them go from Wembley Arena 3/4 full, then Wembley Arena less than half full, to one single festival support slot, to the relatively small Palladium, the promoters might be thinking that DT's popularity is on a downward trajectory in the UK and skip the country in future.

It's the promoters who decide where the band play, not the band.

I'm considering travelling to Europe to see them. I'm in a financial position where I can do this - many fans won't be.

EDIT: Fuck it, I've just bought tix for Le Zenith. Now I've got to figure out how to get there...!  :rollin :rollin  :rollin
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 03:37:47 AM by The Curious Orange »

Offline krands85

« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2016, 05:03:26 AM »
EDIT: Fuck it, I've just bought tix for Le Zenith. Now I've got to figure out how to get there...!  :rollin :rollin :rollin
:tup I would totally do this if they came out and said the current dates are finalised and there will be no more added. But it's hard to pull the trigger when there's still a chance they might announce something closer to home  :-\

Paris seems like the best choice for me of the current dates - when I had a quick look at flights, I think it was the only city where I could get a direct flight from Glasgow or Edinburgh on the day of the concert and one back the next day. Though I didn't check the Scandinavian citiies, as they seem pretty expensive and would likely be freezing at that time of year  :biggrin:
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2016, 05:29:34 AM »
I was checking out flights for either The Netherlands or the Paris shows. The flight to Amsterdam on the day of the show, and back the following day was about £83 in total. Not too bad, but it looks like there's no tickets left for the show? (https://www.ticketmaster.nl/event/177739?CAMEFROM=013&brand=nl_013web). Also, I don't think there's a direct train to Tilburg from Amsterdam?

Paris is looking about £120, but the timing of the outbound flight means that it would have to be a two-nighter.

Think I'll just hang on for UK dates and hope for the best..

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2016, 05:32:43 AM »
That the interest in Dream Theater is falling is no secret. They have passed their peak and is returning to the "niche band" status they used to have. And before anyone says it - no it's not because of Portnoy leaving. The downward trend was apparent long before he thought of leaving:

https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=%22dream%20theater%22

The height of popularity was during the 2004 Train of Thought and 2005 Octavarium tours.

Now, another factor is that the current DT promoters are actually kinda new. The 2015 summer tour was, to my knowledge, the first tour they booked for DT, and that saw some of the weirdest european bookings to date. But Norway has always been a very high ratio of DT fans for some reason - just look at the link above where Norway falls under the "country" scale. It also helps that the fan club president is from norway ;)

Having said that - there are probably still dates to be announced for europe. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some UK dates soon.

BTW. Ryan Air to Oslo isnt terribly expensive ;)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2016, 04:00:35 AM »
I've noticed a decrease in the interest in DT here in Finland as well, and they're not talked about on Finnish music discussion boards as much as before. I didn't become a fan until 2009 and didn't see them live until 2014, but according to that Google Trends link you posted, Octavarium was the peak here, and based on the live reviews I've read, at least the shows at the Helsinki Ice Hall on the SC and ADTOE tours were pretty well attended. When I saw them 2 years ago, there were lots of empty seats, and last year the 25th anniversary show had to be downgraded to the House of Culture, and even that venue wasn't sold out. To be fair, on the latter occasion it was a festival, and although 2 bands were dropped from the bill, the tickets still cost almost 70€, which is a helluva lot for 1½ hours of DT and 1 hour of Anathema. The event was advertised pretty poorly as well, and I read that a lot of people didn't find out about it until it was too late.

Anyway, the I&W show will take place at the Ice Hall again, but it looks like this time around only a limited number of sections with seats is in use: https://www.ticketmaster.fi/event/194611&brand=fi_menolippu?language=en-us Also, the show is organized by Eastway Live instead of Live Nation Finland, which has usually been in charge of DT shows and all the other big rock concerts over here. Maybe they were discouraged by the recent lack of success? Rock/metal music is going through a rough time right now, and DT is no exception.

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2016, 08:25:07 AM »
OK, it took a while for the UK to become an established market for DT

Not so. Images and Words broke over here in 1992 and the UK was about the biggest overseas market for the band at that time, and for some time after. Check out the tour history - the UK always features highly.

It appears that the band's UK promoter - SJM Concerts - is a separate entity to their European promoters. I can only assume that's the reason there's been no UK dates yet.

Offline gulranek

« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2016, 04:50:14 AM »
I've glanced over this thread quickly so pardon if it's been asked earlier, but - has there been word of additional European tour dates or is this it?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2016, 06:48:02 AM »
Nothing yet...

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2016, 02:21:47 AM »
New dates yeeeeeee

APRIL
18        Birmingham, England        Symphony Hall
19        Manchester, England        02 Apollo
20        Glasgow, Scotland        Royal Concert Hall
22        Cardiff, Wales            Motorpoint Arena
23        London, England        London Eventim Apollo
25        Amsterdam, Holland        Afas Live
26        Antwerp, Belgium        Lotto Arena

So glad they're coming back to Scotland again  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline ori.elias5

• Its only in your mind
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2016, 02:50:33 AM »
Hi everyone,

Im looking to get tickets for the Zenith show in paris.

have anyone been there before? right now the tickets are for unreserved seats. Is it standing or seating tickets and do i need to come early to find a good seat?

thanks.

Offline krands85

« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2016, 04:10:20 AM »
:hefdaddy :tup :hefdaddy I was seriously considering going to buy a Paris ticket the other day - glad I waited! Royal Concert Hall then...I've never been there before, that should be interesting - though presumably all seated again. Looks like they guys are gonna have had a well earned break before the UK shows, unless any more are added - Glasgow will be the third day in a row though, good luck James!  :eek
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2016, 04:15:54 AM »
Hi everyone,

Im looking to get tickets for the Zenith show in paris.

have anyone been there before? right now the tickets are for unreserved seats. Is it standing or seating tickets and do i need to come early to find a good seat?

thanks.
Standing or seated. If you go there you can choose between categories : https://www.fnacspectacles.com/place-spectacle/manifestation/Hard-rock-Metal-DREAM-THEATER-ZPDRE.htm#/disponibilite/6df41f1ac0a8280cefc1cfcfb631b40c/normale
Here is the map with the different categories :

Carré or (the yellow one) is 96 euros but you are sure to get a good seated seat.
Debout/fosse is the standing section and is 52 euros. I recommend to queue early as the concert will take place on a Sunday so people will be there early to grab a good seat.
If you want all the info, please follow us, the French fan club, on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/YourMajestyDT/
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2016, 05:02:05 AM »
:hefdaddy :tup :hefdaddy I was seriously considering going to buy a Paris ticket the other day - glad I waited! Royal Concert Hall then...I've never been there before, that should be interesting - though presumably all seated again. Looks like they guys are gonna have had a well earned break before the UK shows, unless any more are added - Glasgow will be the third day in a row though, good luck James!  :eek

Yesssss..  :tup

Glasgow sounds good. Now to look up travel and accommodation..

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2016, 05:25:50 AM »

Im surprised they are going for somewhere all seated again since the last show in the Armadillo was so subdued from the crowd.   I remember James saying during pull me under at the end of the show "If this doesn't get you going then I don't know what will"  :lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2016, 05:30:40 AM »
They're still playing all seaters for this tour? Sorry, not interested...
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline krands85

« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2016, 06:45:51 AM »

Im surprised they are going for somewhere all seated again since the last show in the Armadillo was so subdued from the crowd.   I remember James saying during pull me under at the end of the show "If this doesn't get you going then I don't know what will"  :lol
Yeah I remember that  :lol I also remember a few people angrily complaining at others for standing  :facepalm:

Not everywhere - Paris at least had a mix of standing tickets and seating when I looked.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2016, 07:26:29 AM »
Right, I see they added an  Amsterdam date. There goes some more money.....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2016, 09:28:30 AM »

Stockholm is all standing

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2016, 01:08:24 AM »
Hammersmith Apollo - Fantastic! So much better than that cow-shed at Wembley.
And Birmingham Symphony Hall - Classy!

EDIT - Hammersmith bought - Row H! Blimey, they're a bit expensive, aren't they?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 02:55:02 AM by The Curious Orange »

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2016, 03:43:57 AM »
London gig sold out in 14 minutes, before I could connect and buy my tickets. I hope they add another date, or I will likely miss this tour. I so wanted to go, my favourite band playing my favourite album festuring my all time two favourite songs... :'(

Or please tell me if I am missing something: I tried on viagogo and on DT.net. Are there any other channels to get tickets in the UK?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2016, 03:49:46 AM »

Or please tell me if I am missing something: I tried on viagogo and on DT.net. Are there any other channels to get tickets in the UK?

I believe these are just presale today aren't they?  More seem to go on sale Friday morning. 

55 quid for the Glasgow tickets :O  Damn DT, you are getting pricey.  I'm blaming Brexit!

Offline krands85

« Reply #98 on: December 14, 2016, 03:51:22 AM »
London gig sold out in 14 minutes, before I could connect and buy my tickets. I hope they add another date, or I will likely miss this tour. I so wanted to go, my favourite band playing my favourite album festuring my all time two favourite songs... :'(

This is just a presale I think - so more tickets should be released in the coming days. The event website for example says "on sale soon" https://www.eventimapollo.com/events/all#2017-04 You can still buy the VIP tickets on the DT site of course, if you've got some extra cash spare  :biggrin:

Not sure what's going on with the Glasgow show. When I first tried it, no tickets were available. Then a while later, clicking the page for Glasgow just forwarded you to the venues website - which doesn't even have the show listed. Now clicking on it again on the DT site brings up 2 ticket options - only the cheaper tickets further back are available though.

EDIT:
Were you able to buy the £55 tickets on the DT site McNugg? Won't let me select them. If they are the most expensive option, they're far cheaper than the equivalent at the other UK shows for some reason!

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #99 on: December 14, 2016, 03:59:50 AM »
EDIT:
Were you able to buy the £55 tickets on the DT site McNugg? Won't let me select them. If they are the most expensive option, they're far cheaper than the equivalent at the other UK shows for some reason!

I didn't, though I kind of wish I did now as they looked pretty good compared to these £45 ones coming up now.  Hopefully better ones will come up on Friday morning.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2016, 04:00:23 AM »
Oh, good to know. I mean, I hoped I had missed something. I'm stranded in the passenger lounge at Stansted and have only a phone with me to browser the internet. I'm glad it was just a mistake on my part. Still, I shall be extra careful on Friday morning.

Anyway, don't you think they might be adding another London gig? For such a historic tour stopping in a 10m+ people metropolis one single show in a theatre like the Hammersmith (which is big but is no wembley/O2) seems a bit of an undershoot.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2016, 04:02:40 AM »
 :hat

Who can tell with DT these days? Iwouldn't be surprised if they added a 2nd Hammersmith show, but then I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't!

London isn't just the "London" show, it's also the "South East" show - the most populous part of the country. Fans from all over the SE will be heading for this one.

Offline Lazlow Panaflex

« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2016, 04:12:13 AM »
Anybody else find it stressful buying concert tix?

Got super seats in the end but had to get a Gold VIP ticket.  Actually got really good seats bang on 9am but the payment screen crashed on me 😢  Then, after much refreshing I got some other really good seats, but the payment screen showed the first tix still in my cart, and when I went to remove them my entire cart cleared 😭  After that I simply could not find any seats available in the stalls.

So after a few hundred further attempts I eventually gave up and bought Gold package seats.

Got 4th row from the stage, dead center. No regrets 😊 

Expensive though! Well, looks like it's super noodles for dinner till April 😂

Just always find it so damn stressful everytime I'm buying tix for a show I really want to see!!  But glad I got sorted.

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2016, 04:35:03 AM »

It is super-stressful. And it shouldn't be. If they sold tickets to football matches like this, there'd be an outcry.

Offline Lazlow Panaflex

« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2016, 05:34:45 AM »

It is super-stressful. And it shouldn't be. If they sold tickets to football matches like this, there'd be an outcry.

Agreed! It's always a mad scramble to get first in the cyber queue. I'm close to needing a replacement F5 key at this point, and a few Xanax to calm the nerves might be nice too!