Author Topic: Reference to The Astonishing on Netflix The Ranch  (Read 1747 times)

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
Reference to The Astonishing on Netflix The Ranch
« on: November 13, 2016, 08:12:57 AM »
Part 2, Episode 7

Colt Bennet (Ashton Kutcher) and Abby (Elisha Cuthbert) are talking about which film to watch, and she suggest the new Alfonso Cuarón (director of, among others, Gravity) "made a movie about how there's no more music", "a bleack portrait of a dystopian society".

In 2006 Cuarón did a film, Children of Men, based on a 1992 novel of the same name, which was indeed about a dystopian society but the theme was different

In 2027, after 18 years of global human infertility, civilization is on the brink of collapse as humanity faces extinction. The United Kingdom, one of the very few stable nations with a functioning government, is deluged by asylum seekers fleeing the chaos and war which have taken hold around the world. In response, the UK has become a militarized police state as British government forces round up and detain immigrants

Long story short, the "there's no more music" thing and being it new (The Ranch is set in our days) seems to me a clear reference to DT.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Reference to The Astonishing on Netflix The Ranch
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 08:23:25 AM »
The absence of music has long been used as a marker for evil times and people. For example, there is a very old German idiom saying "if you hear song, settle down and rest, for evil men do not know songs" ("Wo man singt da lass dich nieder, böse Menschen kennen keine Lieder")
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Reference to The Astonishing on Netflix The Ranch
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 08:34:51 AM »
The absence of music has long been used as a marker for evil times and people. For example, there is a very old German idiom saying "if you hear song, settle down and rest, for evil men do not know songs" ("Wo man singt da lass dich nieder, böse Menschen kennen keine Lieder")

Yeah i know that.
In fact, i've never comment about the theme of the Astonishing being nothing but original, or even interesting for that it matters.
Thank god I like the music in it.

Back on topic, I like to think that someone among the authors wanted to quote DT someway, and since the argument between the two is basically there to show one is silly while she's clever but they couldn't pick an album because it was something to do together (and of course to see a movie is a more common and immediate of a reference as something you do with someone else) and so they took the closest thing as a movie to the theme of the astonishing.