Author Topic: Kidney Stone Surgery  (Read 1568 times)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
Kidney Stone Surgery
« on: November 12, 2016, 06:10:22 PM »
Hey gang..Had surgery Wednesday to remove a 12mm stone from my kidney. PCNL where they drill a hole into the kidney and take out the stone. No fun. Got discharged Thursday night. Had hoped to get my drainage tube removed yesterday but have to wait until Monday.  So I'm stuck with this nephrostomy tube and am pissing in the bag still. Some concern that the swelling is keeping my ureter from draining into my bladder. So surgery again Monday for a quick look see with dye and a scan..Hopefully they take this thing out of my back then. Fingers crossed. Lots of water and Oxycontin until then.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Kidney Stone Surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 06:12:11 PM »
Be careful. Water can be addicting!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 06:21:11 PM »
I've passed more stones than I want to count. I'm somewhere in the 15 range at this point. Incredibly painful experience. My largest ones were about 7 mils. I couldn't imagine having one that large.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 06:54:22 PM »
Ouch.  Kidney stones are near the top of the list of things I pray I never get, beneath the obvious ones like cancer, ebola, herpes, etc. :lol

Get better, man. :tup :tup

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 07:06:55 PM »
Take care.  I guess surgery is better than trying to pass a stone that big.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 07:25:26 PM »
Damn!  Hope all goes well Monday.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 07:45:53 PM »
Damn, knock on wood, I haven't had that one yet.

I hate getting old. All that shit starts popping up suddenly.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 08:08:57 PM »
Damn, knock on wood, I haven't had that one yet.

I hate getting old. All that shit starts popping up suddenly.

I had my first one at 20 years old, and had my last one in July of this year. That's a 23 year span. You don't have to be older to get them.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 08:21:44 PM »
I bet your bag is filling up watching this UW-USC game.

Get well TV.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 08:27:25 PM »
Best of luck for a speedy recovery, my brother.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 08:38:30 PM »
Prayers for your recovery!
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 08:10:05 AM »
I've passed 2 stones before.  Hurt like hell, but never had surgery.  I didn't even think they did that.  My dad had one where they went up through the urethra and grabbed it with a small clamp at the end of a thin tube.  Can't imagine that being any fun either.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 08:26:29 AM »
Ouch....hope you recover quickly TV.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 08:30:52 AM »
I've passed 2 stones before.  Hurt like hell, but never had surgery.  I didn't even think they did that.  My dad had one where they went up through the urethra and grabbed it with a small clamp at the end of a thin tube.  Can't imagine that being any fun either.

They also have a treatment where they put you in a small tub, and shoot some kind of sound waves through the water to try to break the stones up so that you can pass them. I'm not sure what the technical term is for it.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 08:50:37 AM »
Damn dude. Recover quickly!

Incase anyone ever wondered why kidney stones are so painful.....

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 09:18:40 AM »

They also have a treatment where they put you in a small tub, and shoot some kind of sound waves through the water to try to break the stones up so that you can pass them. I'm not sure what the technical term is for it.

I'm not sure I would want that treatment.  It just breaks up the stone into smaller and sharper shards that could be even more painful to pass than the original stone.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 09:44:20 AM »

I'm not sure I would want that treatment.  It just breaks up the stone into smaller and sharper shards that could be even more painful to pass than the original stone.

Yeah, but it all pretty much sucks no matter how you look at it  :lol

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 10:08:58 AM »
Damn dude. Recover quickly!

Incase anyone ever wondered why kidney stones are so painful.....

:| Just looking at that gave me some pain.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 03:43:20 PM »

I've had the first one done.  they put you under so it is isn't as bad as you think. the worst part is they put a stint in to help me urinate afterwards that hangs out your manhood and it was left in for about a week.  after the week was up, they grabbed the end of the string and pulled the stint out.  worst 3 seconds of my life.

I've had a similar experience with the second version, although I wasn't put in water.  they blasted it another way and then I pissed out the fragments.  I preferred this method to the first.

both my stones were about 5mm.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline j

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 07:22:26 PM »

Lithotripsy.  If the stone is obstructing and unlikely to pass, it's sometimes indicated as an alternative to surgery.

-J

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2016, 05:14:43 PM »
And when shock wave lithotripsy fails (mine did...twice...7 years ago) they usually do what is called in the medical community a "wait and see". Which means "let's not fuck with it until we have to". Now 7 years later my stone decided to move around again and had to go. Since it was to big to go up through my urereter there were two ways to get it. PCNL where they do a keyhole surgery to remove the stone, which will sideline me now for a few weeks, or open surgery with about a six inch gash that would have hospitalized me for 3-6 weeks and sidelined me for 3-4 months. I had the keyhole surgery.

The pain generally isn't to bad, however my drain tube became dislodged Sunday evening and before my procedure to have it removed on Monday it wrecked havoc inside my kidney. They had to give me dilaudid  3 times in the space of about an hour. Now about every 8 hours my now injured kidney starts having spasms and for about two solid hours afterwards it feels like a very large man is trying to crush my right ball with the heel of a massive work boot. It's fucked up. I'm eating percosets every 4 hours. 2 when it ramps to about a 9 on the pain scale.

But at least I dodged the dreaded urereter stint. Had one 7 years ago and thought I'd rather die. And my stone is gone so I can focus on recovery.

I'm not allowed to lift more than five pounds for 6 weeks, and no long distance travel for 3 months either. My urologist brought me back to reality that despite being a simple operation, it was a major one due to the fact that they actually operated on a major organ.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2016, 05:23:26 PM »
Glad to see its over. Take it easy and don't get antsy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2016, 01:17:13 AM »
And when shock wave lithotripsy fails (mine did...twice...7 years ago) they usually do what is called in the medical community a "wait and see". Which means "let's not fuck with it until we have to". Now 7 years later my stone decided to move around again and had to go. Since it was to big to go up through my urereter there were two ways to get it. PCNL where they do a keyhole surgery to remove the stone, which will sideline me now for a few weeks, or open surgery with about a six inch gash that would have hospitalized me for 3-6 weeks and sidelined me for 3-4 months. I had the keyhole surgery.

The pain generally isn't to bad, however my drain tube became dislodged Sunday evening and before my procedure to have it removed on Monday it wrecked havoc inside my kidney. They had to give me dilaudid  3 times in the space of about an hour. Now about every 8 hours my now injured kidney starts having spasms and for about two solid hours afterwards it feels like a very large man is trying to crush my right ball with the heel of a massive work boot. It's fucked up. I'm eating percosets every 4 hours. 2 when it ramps to about a 9 on the pain scale.

But at least I dodged the dreaded urereter stint. Had one 7 years ago and thought I'd rather die. And my stone is gone so I can focus on recovery.

I'm not allowed to lift more than five pounds for 6 weeks, and no long distance travel for 3 months either. My urologist brought me back to reality that despite being a simple operation, it was a major one due to the fact that they actually operated on a major organ.
I gather the stint you guys are referring to is the Foley cat. It's pretty awful. To me the most annoying part was trying to sleep with an inflated balloon in your bladder. We're conditioned to wake up when it's time to wiz, and that thing made you always think it was time. In my case, once they took it out they told me if I couldn't wiz in the next hour they were putting it back in. That motivated me enough to take all the fear out of what that first leak was going to feel like.

As for pain in the actual kidney, mine was tolerable for a while. The biopsy involves shooting a spring-loaded tube into your kidney and pulling out small core samples. About ten of them. While you can numb the surrounding area pretty well, you can't really numb a kidney, so it felt like getting punched each time. The next few days were tolerable, like I said. Then it turned into something truly miserable. For the first time in my life I had pain so severe I was decided to drive myself to the hospital about 11 at night. Ready to walk out the door I went to use the head one last time and passed one of the core samples that didn't make it out in the tube. Instantly felt better physically, and the emotional payoff of knowing that it was all over was wonderful. Slept beautifully the rest of the night.

And the recovery time sounds about like mine after the transplant. While I was opened up about six inches, I've no doubt that the trauma is about the same internally for your tiny hole. I recall that kidney girl was equally laid up and hers was a laparoscopic procedure with only a couple of small holes. I was up and going to the store for groceries 6 days after the procedure, but I couldn't lift anything and I fatigued very easily. I believe the lifting part was only applicable until the staples came out.

On a side note, I was excited when they bumped me up from morphine to dilaudid, but found it pretty unremarkable. I have a very high tolerance for pain, and opioids have little effect on me anyway, but I'm always keen to try new stuff. At least the morphine gives you a great rush for a minute or so when they push it. I didn't even get that from the dilaudid. One thing I did learn is that it takes no time at all to get pretty strung out on hydrocodone type products. Like only a day or two. They didn't warn Kidney Girl of this and she was in sorry shape for about two weeks once the lortabs were no longer necessary a couple of days after the surgery. I've generally decided to avoid that shit altogether. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2016, 02:18:46 AM »
Instantly felt better physically, and the emotional payoff of knowing that it was all over was wonderful. Slept beautifully the rest of the night.

This is similar to something that I've experienced after passing stones. I've almost been euphoric a few times afterwards. The simple feeling of relief is very strong.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2016, 11:06:30 PM »
Barto..I knew your experience was probably much worse and I called on your story to help me man up for my surgery.

The stent I was referring to isn't the Foley. I never had an issue with that and I had that for the first full day after surgery.  But it's called a J Stent. It has a pigtailed end which the urologist inserts up your cock and sometimes places it in the kidney. Sometimes the bladder. Then the stent hangs out of the tip of your cock about a ten inches. it looks and feels like nothing more than a piece of cotton thread. Which the doc tugs on to remove the stent when it comes out.  It's the same stuff the Foley tube is made of only much smaller . It's used to make sure due to swelling that your ureter remains open and unclogged.  When you urinate the thread vibrates the entire length of your ureter and you think you're going  to die. When my stone was unsuccessfully attempted to be blown up 7 years ago..I had one for 4 days. I passed out twice and spent most of the rest of the time curled into the fetal position and whimpering like a dog. I think the VC invented the J stent during the Vietnam War...
Horrific.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 11:12:22 PM by TempusVox »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2016, 08:50:13 AM »
Nah, sounds like my experience was far better. The transplant itself wasn't too bad. Most of my problems were just post-surgery stuff. The biopsy was a bummer, but only turned horrific about five days later and only for a couple of hours.

And the stent does sound awful, but I wouldn't go so far as to say the Foley wasn't bad.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson