Author Topic: The Best Opening Act You've Ever Seen  (Read 8006 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The Best Opening Act You've Ever Seen
« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2016, 04:47:10 PM »
It kills me that 3 never has had any success. Their live show is one of the best I've ever seen, even beyond just opening acts. And they're not even really active anymore, touring-wise.

Rule number one of choosing a band name: can you google it? I remember seeing them, trying to google them, and gave up after several failures.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2016, 04:53:42 PM »
It kills me that 3 never has had any success. Their live show is one of the best I've ever seen, even beyond just opening acts. And they're not even really active anymore, touring-wise.

Rule number one of choosing a band name: can you google it? I remember seeing them, trying to google them, and gave up after several failures.

Wow, it was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Googled "three (band)" and found their website and wikipedia page (which did state that they opened for Porcupine Tree).

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2016, 05:34:21 PM »
Gotta go with:
 Marillion opening with Misplaced Childhood for Rush
Dream Theater opening for Marillion
Spock's Beard opening for Dream Theater
Zappa Plays Zappa opening for Dream Theater
Crimson Projeckt opening for Dream Theater

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2016, 06:06:23 PM »
I big hell yeah to seeing Misplaced Childhood live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2016, 08:02:57 PM »

Wow, it was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Googled "three (band)" and found their website and wikipedia page (which did state that they opened for Porcupine Tree).

It is now a lot easier, yeah. But when I saw them back in the day it was fricking impossible to get anything.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2016, 08:58:37 PM »
Oh yeah. I think the two of us have actually had this exact conversation before. :lol Absolutely terrible move on their part, and it's a real shame.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #111 on: November 15, 2016, 07:47:43 AM »
Gotta go with:
 Marillion opening with Misplaced Childhood for Rush
Dream Theater opening for Marillion
Spock's Beard opening for Dream Theater
Zappa Plays Zappa opening for Dream Theater
Crimson Projeckt opening for Dream Theater

I had a chance to see that Rush/Marillion show and passed for non-musical reasons.   Kicking myself in the ass on that one, HARD. 

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2016, 02:09:00 AM »
Oh yeah. I think the two of us have actually had this exact conversation before. :lol Absolutely terrible move on their part, and it's a real shame.
*to

Pardon my half heimerz, but there was a band called 'Piss*ton' (?),  'Pis*ton' (?),...... (hell, google won't help me)........ that opened for KISS in Grand Rapids around '99.  Dreadful band, dreadful music, and obviously, dreadful name.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2016, 07:58:36 AM »
*to

Pardon my half heimerz, but there was a band called 'Piss*ton' (?),  'Pis*ton' (?),...... (hell, google won't help me)........ that opened for KISS in Grand Rapids around '99.  Dreadful band, dreadful music, and obviously, dreadful name.
They were called Pist-on.  I saw them open for Queensryche back on HitNF tour.  Absolutely awful.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2016, 02:06:41 PM »
Has anyone except me seen The Violet Hour?

Offline Christeen

« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2016, 12:55:57 PM »
TesseracT opening for Gojira just a few months ago. Daniel Tompkins is a god

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2016, 04:09:08 PM »
Dark Tranquillity opening for Killswitch Engage w/ The Devil Wears prada and Unearth.

Literally the best band of the bunch.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2016, 09:48:14 PM »
Without any questions, Marillion opening for Rush in '86. I think they played the whole side one of Misplaced childhood.

Dream theater opening for Iron Maiden. I think it was in 2012. They played 5 or 6 songs and I was charmed. I bought my ticket for them. Did not care much for Maiden because I have never been a fan of pure metal.

Loverboy opening for April Wine in '81.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2016, 05:37:23 PM »
Without any questions, Marillion opening for Rush in '86. I think they played the whole side one of Misplaced childhood.

They did indeed.

Although I think Pseudo Silk Kimono was abbreviated to fit it in to the opening time slot.