Author Topic: Temple of the Dog  (Read 1489 times)

Offline cfmoran13

Temple of the Dog
« on: November 08, 2016, 07:57:28 AM »
I got to see Temple of the Dog last night at Madison Square Garden, NYC.  What a great show!  The opener was some band called Fantastic Negrito.  I'll just say they weren't my cup of tea and leave it at that.  But, when TotD came out, they were fantastic.  I don't remember MSG ever having the best concert acoustics.  However, last night, it sounded awesome.  They played every song from the album throughout the show with some Mother Love Bone songs sprinkled in, along with some pretty sweet covers.  At some points, Mike McCready was absolutely on fire.  Unfortunately, my friend and I bailed before the last 2 songs (one of which was Black Sabbath's War Pigs) in order to catch the train home so we didn't get home after 1am.

All in all, a great show.  I'm thrilled I got to see them.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Temple of the Dog
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 08:02:01 AM »
Nice!  Always liked that album.  It would be cool to see them live.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 08:05:54 AM »
Really cool.  I didn't realize they were doing a tour.  Which MLB songs did they do, if you can remember?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 08:50:39 AM »
Really cool.  I didn't realize they were doing a tour.  Which MLB songs did they do, if you can remember?
It's just a 7-8 show tour - Philly (2 nights), NYC, San Fran (2 nights), LA, Seattle (2 nights).  They did Stardog Champion, Stargazer, Heartshine, Holy Roller, Man of Golden Words (Cornell acoustic w/Comfortably Numb ending).  Never was a MLB fan.  But, the songs sounded good.

They also did Zeppelin's "Achilles' Last Stand" which was awesome!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 09:43:11 AM »
I was there too.   I was able to watch most of the show from the fifth row, and it was a treat to see five guys that are really loose and good at what they do.  I've never seen Chris or Matt live before (I've heard mixed reviews of Chris; last night he was really strong, and Matt was a beast.  He hits SO hard.) and I haven't seen Mike, Jeff and Stone since I think 2004 (the Hartford show where the police went nuts with the tear gas on the lawn). 

It was a really good, well-played set.  Chris talked a lot more than I would have expected, but I think that was in part to let the guys get set between songs, because Mike, Jeff, and Stone literally changed guitars after EVERY song. 

The MSG sound was excellent (it was for Sabbath a couple weeks ago as well) and it really had the vibe of five guys at a party jamming for their friends, except that they were tight as SHIT.  I mean, REALLY tight.    Achilles Last Stand was mind-blowing; Matt nailed every one of those rat-a-tat drum fills at the end, and Chris did Plant better than Plant could today (and I'm a big fan of Robert).   Before the song, he said "here's a song that has been played once or twice in this building" (Zep was known for their multi-night stands in NYC, and have played some legendary shows at MSG), and when it was done Chris came to the front of the stage and said something like "If you told me, I'd be with my good friends, playing THAT song at MSG...".  A surprising song was "Jump Into The Fire" by Nilsson; it really rocked.  The MLB songs were really, really good; it was a pleasure to hear those songs live. 

I feel lucky to have seen that show.  The only downside was the crowd; after seeing Marillion on Sunday this crowd was WAYYYYYYY too hip for me.   I was going to scalp, and they dumped a couple floor seats at the last minute, and the guy that bought in front of me...  he had the whole uniform:  man-bag, Doc Martens, bandanna's around the waist and around the neck, the billowy shirt open to the waist, the headband, rings on all the fingers, a thousand bracelets, long black hair...but as I was standing behind him I noticed what looked like lice eggs in his hair.   I went to my seat and he was right there and I refused to go there.  So I was that guy, walking around the floor the entire show, until I got in with a couple who let me stand with them. 

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 09:49:13 AM »
I was just listening to the Temple of the Dog album last night. Would definitely be very cool to see them but they aren't coming anywhere near me. I thought about this last night but never really looked into it: does Eddie come out and sing Hunger Strike with them when they play it on this tour? His part is a pretty integral piece of the song, but it would seem kind of silly to tour with a band just to sing half of a song every night.

Only semi-related, but a Mother Love Bone box set with a bunch of unreleased material just came out on Friday. I picked it up but I've yet to listen to any of it.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 09:53:58 AM »
I was just listening to the Temple of the Dog album last night. Would definitely be very cool to see them but they aren't coming anywhere near me. I thought about this last night but never really looked into it: does Eddie come out and sing Hunger Strike with them when they play it on this tour? His part is a pretty integral piece of the song, but it would seem kind of silly to tour with a band just to sing half of a song every night.

Only semi-related, but a Mother Love Bone box set with a bunch of unreleased material just came out on Friday. I picked it up but I've yet to listen to any of it.
I'm guessing he may make an appearance at one of the final two shows in Seattle.  Considering they were filming last night, we thought he might show up for MSG.  No such luck.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 09:55:32 AM »

Well, first, it's a verse on one song out of 25 or so, so you're right, it would be silly and so, no, he didn't come out to sing that.  Chris sang both parts, with some help from the crowd, and although I generally HATE HATE HATE when the singer thrusts the mic over the crowd in order to shirk his/her duties, it worked really well here. 

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 10:50:02 AM »
Well, first, it's a verse on one song out of 25 or so, so you're right, it would be silly and so, no, he didn't come out to sing that.  Chris sang both parts, with some help from the crowd, and although I generally HATE HATE HATE when the singer thrusts the mic over the crowd in order to shirk his/her duties, it worked really well here.
It did work really well.  It was essentially Eddie Vedder's part sung 15K voices strong.  Pretty cool. 

It must've been weird for Chris Cornell having his first headlining show at MSG not be Soundgarden.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 01:39:18 PM »
Did you get any vibe that this was a bone for Chris from the other band members?  Pearl Jam (4/5 of whom were on the stage) are a touring machine and a virtual lock for first ballot Hall of Fame induction, and this was a chance for Chris to cash in a little bit on something that was done what, 25 years ago?  He's going to be a millionaire after this (MSG sits roughly 20,000, at a minimum of $100 a pop, you're at $2M take for that show only, plus the other gigs and the TOTD re-release with added tracks, almost all written by Chris)?   Not that that is a bad thing at all, but it's a vibe I got. 

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 02:57:48 PM »
Did you get any vibe that this was a bone for Chris from the other band members?  Pearl Jam (4/5 of whom were on the stage) are a touring machine and a virtual lock for first ballot Hall of Fame induction, and this was a chance for Chris to cash in a little bit on something that was done what, 25 years ago?  He's going to be a millionaire after this (MSG sits roughly 20,000, at a minimum of $100 a pop, you're at $2M take for that show only, plus the other gigs and the TOTD re-release with added tracks, almost all written by Chris)?   Not that that is a bad thing at all, but it's a vibe I got.
I didn't really think about that.  I did wonder if it had a different feel for Chris now.  At the beginning it was 3/5 of Pearl Jam and 1/2 of Soundgarden.  Now, with Matt more PJ than Soundgarden, it's 4/5 members of PJ and Chris.

The minimalist stage set-up they had gave it a more personal feel than most shows I've seen at the Garden.  Pretty cool.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 03:50:08 PM »
https://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/madison-square-garden-temple-dog-review-article-1.2864840

In the picture of Chris from behind, I am in the picture, all the way to the right, fourth or so from the top.  Blue shirt with a brown shirt underneath. 

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 06:06:37 PM »
Philly show...  About the 27 min mark, Stargazer.  One of my fav MLB songs :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ6AfO7miOE

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 08:46:19 PM »
I got to see Temple of the Dog last night at Madison Square Garden, NYC.  What a great show!  The opener was some band called Fantastic Negrito.  I'll just say they weren't my cup of tea and leave it at that.  But, when TotD came out, they were fantastic.  I don't remember MSG ever having the best concert acoustics.  However, last night, it sounded awesome.  They played every song from the album throughout the show with some Mother Love Bone songs sprinkled in, along with some pretty sweet covers.  At some points, Mike McCready was absolutely on fire.  Unfortunately, my friend and I bailed before the last 2 songs (one of which was Black Sabbath's War Pigs) in order to catch the train home so we didn't get home after 1am.

All in all, a great show.  I'm thrilled I got to see them.

I had no idea this was happening. I would have loved to see that, especially with the MLB songs. I'll get a boot of it hopefully.

Offline Jester

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 11:04:54 PM »
Absolutely love Pushing Forward Back and MLB's Stardog Champion.
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 08:36:57 AM »
LOVE that they're doing some covers...but NEVER expected this!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsqbbDDgYCc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPvja0vvhNI

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 12:14:31 PM »
LOVE that they're doing some covers...but NEVER expected this!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsqbbDDgYCc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPvja0vvhNI

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Being there? it was as good as advertised.  They were on FIRE during that song.