Author Topic: Did Kevin Moore's Patreon campaign just slowly die?  (Read 1221 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Did Kevin Moore's Patreon campaign just slowly die?
« on: November 07, 2016, 04:32:43 PM »
I remember being all excited and chipping in. But it seems since December last year it's been totally quiet. Does anyone have any info, or is it just dead?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Did Kevin Moore's Patreon campaign just slowly die?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 06:23:42 PM »
I didn't even know he had a Patreon

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 07:45:00 PM »
I only got one song and after that nothing. No updates, no songs...

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 08:50:23 PM »
This was HUGE around these parts when he first posted it over a year ago.  And I personally contributed.   He had the promised funding for a whole new Chroma Key album, and then never delivered.   

We have another thread about it, and I know a few people here donated funds *expecting* a new CK album in return, but it never happened.

Im going to try and assume that he's got a damn good excuse, because if he doesn't, that's just bad form.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 02:13:16 AM »
Uh...there's no "slowly" about it. It dropped off the face of existence. It's in the CK thread and I'm still pretty flabbergasted over it. He doesn't seem like the type of guy to do this and has always come across as very genuine and appreciative of his fans. Half a year ago I would have forgiven the (I just have to) dead air but now it's pretty fucking ludicrous. I'm just going to assume that my money was essentially stolen (or hell, I'd even be okay with him saying "Hey guys, I used it for med school, sorry, thanks!) and maybe I'll be surprised in the future.

But I've never ever used any kind of patreon, crowd funding, "gimme-money" cunty bullshit for this exact reason. Thought it'd be a lesson I'd never have to learn since I never thought I'd do it. It's that "more disappointed than angry" situation since I really didn't even have a shadow of a doubt that anything like this would happen from KevMo but uhh...welp, here we are. Even if he does deliver eventually, this is preposterous; because absolutely zero updates after saying "Try to send out one song a month" is beyond unacceptable. Even then I thought "Wow, one song a month..." and didn't really expect that but uh...I expected something. Anything.

NOW it's a lesson learned. Fuck pre-paying any motherfucker. Produce something, then I'll pay you. Sad it's gotta be that way but apparently it's a must. Normally this would slide off me like water off a duck but I essentially paid for a...I think it was 60 bucks...a 60 dollar album, and got zilch. That...is pretty infuriating.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 05:55:39 AM »

NOW it's a lesson learned. Fuck pre-paying any motherfucker. 

I roll my eyes everytime I see someone looking for crowdfunding.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 06:42:48 AM »
You wanna see a crowdfunding shit show, look at "Jibo". Managed to shore up $50 million overall, two years later still no product, and with Amazon Echo and now Google Home, if Jibo ever comes out it will be an irrelevant product.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 06:48:27 AM »
You wanna see a crowdfunding shit show, look at "Jibo". Managed to shore up $50 million overall, two years later still no product, and with Amazon Echo and now Google Home, if Jibo ever comes out it will be an irrelevant product.

I remember that thing. Any kind of fancy tech hardware throws up red flags to me. Even if they're legit and mean well, throwing money at a new company trying to manufacture a product isn't going to guarantee success. There are so many potential roadblocks and problems.
I've only funded some films/docos and video games, all of which turned out well or are turning out well, except for one which has been dragging for years. It still has regular updates and I'm sure will eventually be finished, but it won't be what I'd originally hoped at all. But you take a chance on these things and donate accordingly.

I don't donate to Patreons though, largely for this reason. I don't think the model of continually giving money for any kind of output is an ideal one, I like to give a one time donation to a finite project to keep track of.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 07:27:01 AM »

I do as well, which is why I'm disappointed in myself as well since I took a chance on this one. It's just a bit of a different situation when it's coming from a mostly unknown, well-loved, single underground artist as opposed to the usual sketchy situation and/or a clear cash-grab. This has been the one exception and now there won't be any of those either. Done and done. Just sucks it had to turn out this way.

As was mentioned, it sucks even more considering how fervent the love for this was among the cult-like CK fan status and how much those handful of fans wanted this. I didn't even think at first that this would reach its goal and once it did I was ecstatic. Whaaaaat a good joke.

RIP DTP.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 07:32:05 AM »
I wonder whether he was using Patreon as a motivator, hoping that it would create an impetus for him to create a new album. But then found out that you can't buy motivation.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 07:35:38 AM »
I was actually thinking the same, and perhaps didn't expect it to blow up as it did (in relevance to his status, anyway) and reach the goal. Even if he does have music and simply doesn't like it, a simply explanation would suffice and at least we'd know.

RIP DTP.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 07:58:04 AM »
I've been curious about this as well.  My only rationale could be that perhaps he's working on the full album and it'll be sprung upon us suddenly when completed.  I'd be surprised if he doesn't update us within the next month or so, otherwise it would be a full calendar year without any info.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Sad
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 09:31:54 AM »
Last thing I read about it was on a Jim Matheos interview from some months ago, when questions about the possibility of  a new OSI, he said it'd happen when they had some time, and stated that Kevin was working on some Chroma Key or solo stuff at the time.

Maybe if we ask him on twitter he'll answer?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 10:11:27 AM »
I've been curious about this as well.  My only rationale could be that perhaps he's working on the full album and it'll be sprung upon us suddenly when completed.  I'd be surprised if he doesn't update us within the next month or so, otherwise it would be a full calendar year without any info.

Yeah, I'm hoping this is the case.

@TioJorge
Quote from: TioJorge link=topic=48768.0;last_msg=2235121
NOW it's a lesson learned. Fuck pre-paying any motherfucker. Produce something, then I'll pay you. Sad it's gotta be that way but apparently it's a must. Normally this would slide off me like water off a duck but I essentially paid for a...I think it was 60 bucks...a 60 dollar album, and got zilch. That...is pretty infuriating.

I think this is a bit unjustified. He did deliver one song and collected money over just that one song. He's not charging anyone on a monthly basis. He is only charging once he releases something. And IIRC, donations were only in the $3, $5, and $10 amounts. There was no $60 option (unless you are referring to another artist's campaign).

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 10:30:30 AM »
Right, I mean it hasn't been taken out of my account, and I have yet to look into retracting my order but it's there for the taking and I've committed to supporting, and unless I'm remembering it wrong...that contribution was on a song-by-song basis and there was talk of 6 or so songs initially (granted, this was around the time he said a song a month soooo). Though yeah, I might be completely wrong about all that considering it's been about a year.

I'm not sure how it's in any way unjustified to be discontent with not just outright breaking terms (as in, if you're not going to deliver a song a month, again something that I didn't even expect, but it was said nonetheless, then don't promise it; it's not like I pulled that out of thin air and just expected it from nothing) but altogether having absolutely zero contact. Zilch, squat, not a peep.

I used the monetary comment as an aside on top of the whole total and complete silence issue. Unjustified would be me wanting my money back and taking actual issue with Moore. I'm not, I'm just peeved over the fact that promises were made and it's not like he just delivered a little less...nah, there's a line between unjustified expectations and justified disappointment (bordering anger) over him saying something on his own terms and free will and then dropping off the face of Earth without a word.

It's far less about the actual money and more about this being just kind of shitty to do and from all the fans that have met him and from interviews and such, he seemed to be the guy to not go back on something that's uh...pretty fuckin' big as this, at least to fans like myself and a good amount of others that supported this. It's just souring the whole experience when a five-second "Still working on it" announcement would have nullified any and all questions and worries. Truly.

Eh, I don't know how that's unjustified.

RIP DTP.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 11:03:35 AM »
TioJorge

Don't get me wrong...I'm a bit frustrated too but my credit card was charged only for 1 song, which he delivered. I haven't been charged anything else. Maybe unjustified was the wrong word choice on my end. I think you used a better word: shitty  :lol

But it is disappointing that Kevin won't issue any update. Maybe he's working on a full album (wishful thinking probably) and maybe that's when he is going to start collecting the donations once he has the songs.

But yeah, not issuing any sort of updates just plain sucks.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 05:04:10 PM »

In most cases, I'd agree with you. 

I'll admit I thought about this one, but I learned long ago this guy is on his own schedule so I'm content to enjoy what I already have and when another CD is done, I'd buy it then.

I'm a fan, but I figured there was a risk of this going in.