Author Topic: I like it when DT screws up  (Read 3941 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I like it when DT screws up
« on: November 04, 2016, 04:52:59 PM »
This might be a weird topic, but stay with me.

My first DT concert was on February 11th 1995, Düsseldorf Philipshalle. Waking up the World tour. I was dragged there by a college friend of mine (god, what a bro) and we knew every fricking guitar, drum and vocal line down to a T. Knowing bass lines was already tough in those days.

So, we're watching the show like this:

And after the show, maybe the first thing we talked about was: how many mistakes did they make? This might sound weird, but to both of us the fact that they made mistakes meant one thing: This shit is so hard, even these demigods make mistakes. And they recover from it as if nothing happened.

Long story short, I personally *like* when live DVDs have flubs. Even albums! I have a Ben Folds album where in the middle of a solo he totally screw it up. He clearly could have rerecorded it, but he didn't, and trust me, I look forward to it every single time it comes.

I'm not even sure where this thread is going, but bottom line is: DT, don't try to be perfect. The hint of imperfection, at least to me, was a huge allure to your performances. It was like the beauty mark on Cindy Crawford's face; the existence of it emphasized the magnificence of the rest. And if '95 tour attendance didn't show my age, a reference to Cindy Crawford certainly did :lol

EDIT: If nothing else, a thread with Kung Fu Panda in it is good, right?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 05:19:44 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline goo-goo

Re: I like it when DT screws up
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 05:06:41 PM »
I was at the Phoenix Aug 2000 show and they had a major train wreck during Metropolis Pt 1. They started the song 2 or 3 times if I recall correctly. The guys were all smiling. There's an awesome sounding boot of this show and it's called Train Wreck.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 05:13:17 PM »
You know, I seriously wish DT wrote a song that is too hard for them. They would record it perfectly on CD, and when they try to play it live, James would say "ok, there's a 30% chance we're making it through the song in one piece. Here it goes." If they screw it up, everybody has a good laugh. And when they make it through, everybody would be excited.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 05:35:34 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong but isn't that one of the reasons why they rarely play Blind Faith live. The solo was written for keyboard but John has trouble with doubling Jordan's part.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 07:42:16 PM »
Sometimes there are technical problems during a show. But as for the acuracy of playing the music, it's impossible not making any mistakes for a musician. They all do but most of the time it does not show.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 10:29:42 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong but isn't that one of the reasons why they rarely play Blind Faith live. The solo was written for keyboard but John has trouble with doubling Jordan's part.
I think the tuning is a problem too. The recording is on a standard tuned guitar but JP has to transpose for the live performances (he plays it an octave lower I think).

Wasn't Dance of Eternity kind of one of those? IIRC they recorded it in pieces but never actually played it straight through until rehearsing for the tour and their ability to pull it off wasn't a sure thing yet.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 10:00:44 AM »
I have seen DT screwing live twice in Madrid during the DT12 tour.

It didn´t bother me at all, but I also didn´t found it very interesting, because DT music is very programed and mistakes resolved in them catching up and playing the next sections the way they are supposed to sound. After all they play to a click track.

Dream Theater is not a band like the Allman Brothers, were mistakes can take them to uncharted territory that they may feel like exploring in the moment.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 10:47:16 AM »
Heck yeah!  When they played in Seattle in 2008 PN tour, It was JLB's birthday. They paused halfway through "Take the Time", Mike Portnoy brought out a cake for James with blue and green icing to wish him a happy B-day. He held it up close so James could see it and he threw the cake in his face and ran back to his drum kit. They started back into the song and JP screwed up the first part of the solo because he was laughing so hard. James had blue and green streaks on his face for the rest of the night.
 My friend and I were in the fith row and he recorded it and put it on YouTube. It's called "James Labrie cakeface". I think it's still on there..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 10:51:07 AM »
It is, I just checked  :lol

It's funny how he suddenly slams the cake in his face and then the video goes black ending, like when something actually more serious and tragic happens and whoever is filming stops in shock or fear  :rollin
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 10:56:58 AM »
Ha!  I think he posted the rest of the song on a different clip somewhere. JLB was a good sport about it, as far as I could tell..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 11:07:09 AM »
After the Myung taclke I guess he anticipated everything.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 11:21:37 AM »
:lol. I still haven't seen that one.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 11:36:00 AM »
On the ADTOE tour James's voice cracked during Caught in a Web and it was actually awesome.  When he sings "I bare all that I am made of now" his voice cracks but he pushes through and strains to stay on pitch.  He poured out so much emotion during that part that whenever I listen to that song I hear the same thing happening in my head.  That's a true professional. 

Offline pcs90

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2016, 01:22:25 PM »
There are quite a few videos floating around of DT screwing up...one during PMU immediately springs to mind. Pretty amusing when they are so obvious.

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2016, 01:53:03 PM »
It amazes me how little they screw up, I consider myself advanced at guitar and can play most DT stuff (Train of thought/Systematic Chaos albums a bit too difficult) but playing them live I would completely turn to mush. Each technical section is its own little challenge and in the odd epic there is a 5 minute instrumental section where you may pull off one part superbly then are instantly thrown into another section. The complexity and musicianship amazes me constantly! Such a talented band that continues to push themselves technically even as most of them are in their 50's and Rudess is 60.. Most bands slow down at that point but the intensity has remained... seen them 5 times and haven't witnessed obvious cock ups over 14 or so hours of playing, very impressive!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2016, 08:18:09 PM »
JLB fell offstage when I saw them on the ADTOE tour in Minnesota. Something else happened when I saw them on the DT12 tour too because he made reference to it after he did something else, but I can't remember what happened. I think it was a flubbed lyric or something.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline PetFish

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2016, 01:58:10 AM »
Great OP.

I'd much rather ANY musician play live and mess up than totally fake it to a recording.

But the fact that Dream Theater rarely mess up and considering how complex the music actually is it's astonishing (hehe) that they don't flub much, much, much more often.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 02:55:36 AM »
Man, their live shows sure have changed. Did Mangini still use a metronome to that?
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 03:45:35 AM »
Man, their live shows sure have changed. Did Mangini still use a metronome to that?

Yeah, they were using the click. And it was curious, because on that concert they had massive technical problems and decided to do it without the animations and usual light work that was used on the tour.

Just them playing, but the click remained.

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 07:50:49 AM »

:rollin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2016, 08:40:05 AM »
There is no video, only a still picture of the aftermath.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2016, 09:03:59 AM »
Sorry double psot

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2016, 09:15:03 AM »
Well, this just happened at the Lakewood show 10/25/16. The beginning orchestra programmed part of "Act of Faythe" had concluded and JR stepped up to begin the piano intro and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! He had the wrong patch set up and the loudest most annoying sound came out. Mind you at this point the crowd is totally silent, so it was pretty brutal! He did recover quickly though and the crowd gave a cheer of approval, then as the band joined in, JR and MM were laughing about it through the rest of the piece. Pretty cool actually. :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2016, 10:21:13 AM »
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2016, 12:44:24 PM »
There is no video, only a still picture of the aftermath.

Portnoy must have a video of that somewhere. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2016, 01:54:59 PM »
Nah, that shit would have been on wikileaks by now.

Offline Blind Faythe

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2016, 07:37:56 PM »
When James Labrie fell tripped and landed on the floor when they were playing "Lost Not Forgotten" was very funny, yet they pulled it off well. Heck, even Petrucci joined him.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2016, 07:41:08 PM »

Didn't Assange lose internet connection right after DT came though London? It's all coming together.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2016, 08:40:33 PM »

I heard Russia has a copy somewhere, they're waiting for the right time to release it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2016, 11:11:17 PM »
Dream Theater is not a band like the Allman Brothers, were mistakes can take them to uncharted territory that they may feel like exploring in the moment.

I think this is one of the things that makes Frank Zappa so interesting too, because if a noticeable mistake is made, it is made apparent to the audience, making it part of the entertainment
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2016, 03:21:33 AM »
I think it was on the Scenes Tour in Cologne (probably 11/14/99) where I witnessed them mess up Pull Me Under. I don't remember exactly what happend but the "Watch the sparrow falling" part was completely out of sync, the drums playing faster then the rest or something like that, but they recovered quickly and laughed about it.

As long as they don't begin to play sloppy almost all of the time, making mistakes makes them seem more human. And I'm sure there are a lot of small mistakes that no one besides themselves really notices. Who can tell if there are a couple of wrong notes in a high-speed guitar or keyboard run?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2016, 10:03:38 AM »
Rumbo, have you ever heard the song "Hot Dog and A Shake by David Lee Roth?  During the guitar solo by Steve Vai, he messed up in the middle of it but continued playing.  The mistake sounded so cool they kept that solo in the recording.  I would have never known if I didn't read about it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2016, 10:48:03 AM »
Rumbo, have you ever heard the song "Hot Dog and A Shake by David Lee Roth?  During the guitar solo by Steve Vai, he messed up in the middle of it but continued playing.  The mistake sounded so cool they kept that solo in the recording.  I would have never known if I didn't read about it.

Just listened to that, that's awesome. Nice recovery for sure.

It reminded me of this:

https://youtu.be/FArZxLj6DLk?t=18

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2016, 11:24:26 AM »
 :lol

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2016, 05:38:30 PM »
I like when little mistakes like that on studio recordings. Adds character sometimes.  For Radiohead fans, if you listen to Black Star from the Bends, during the second chorus, there is a loud buzz in there that was guitar feedback or some crazy thing that happened in the studio, and they just left it in the song.  Sounds neat, almost like it should be there.