Author Topic: Blu Ray / DVD of The Astonishing tour  (Read 55995 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Blu Ray / DVD of The Astonishing tour
« Reply #420 on: February 27, 2017, 03:54:21 PM »
The sound at LALP might have been a let down, but the overall concert is still pretty awesome and has some unique stuff that is not on any other DT dvd.

Offline CB

« Reply #421 on: February 27, 2017, 03:59:34 PM »
I've never heard happy holidays. What is that one about?

An album the band released for free around Xmas time in 2013, it was a live compilation of all the songs played in the Dramatic Turn of Events tour that didn't end up on Live at Luna Park.

A REALLY good album if you like live bootlegs and that kind of stuff. The quality is amazing. I haven't listened to it since it was released, but I remember loving Mangini's drum sound on that release.

I love it, I remember I was totally surprised at the quality. It's sad they don't release live recordings like that more often. I don't expect them to do it for free, something like the Ytsejam bootlegs would be nice.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #422 on: February 27, 2017, 03:59:38 PM »
The sound on LALP was odd, but I wouldn't call it "bad."  Overall, it's a great concert set.  In fact, I think I'll listen to it now...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: February 27, 2017, 04:00:14 PM »
I got LALP from iTunes and BTFW on DVD.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #424 on: February 27, 2017, 04:44:28 PM »
I remember the microphone sound being the worst aspect. There was this odd distortion on it, especially in the soft parts.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #425 on: February 27, 2017, 04:50:08 PM »
I remember the microphone sound being the worst aspect. There was this odd distortion on it, especially in the soft parts.
Yes, I did notice that.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: February 27, 2017, 04:50:48 PM »

You can hear some breathing on it.  The guitar is too loud as well, can't hear the keyboards.  None of that ruins it for me, but it was a bummer that there was some audio issues.

Offline CB

« Reply #427 on: February 27, 2017, 05:00:27 PM »
Well but let's be honest here, DT is a very prolific band regarding that aspect.. We recently had, what, TWO dvd/br's within a single year?... and if we count the Happy Holidays cd, that's three official live albums in one year, so I don't think there's any need at all of releasing now another live album; even when I myself would want an Astonishing dvd, I don't think they owe us anything, like to be asking them to do it, when we also know the expensive it is and the time it takes to do it properly..

Agreed, they don't owe us an Astonishing DVD. But imo the sad thing is that they wanted to do that DVD. JP and JR are so proud of that album, they stated in many interviews after the release of TA that there would be a live DVD, they had plans for doing it with an orchestra. It's just sad - for them and for the fans who love TA - that they couldn't do it because TA wasn't the success they hoped for and they just couldn't afford it. I'm glad LALP and BTFW were released, but TA would have been something unique. They'll never do a show like that again, it just deserved to be captured on DVD.

Offline Evai

« Reply #428 on: February 27, 2017, 05:58:46 PM »
Okay so I didn't get to see TA live, so this is me trying to see the bright side... Perhaps it's better to not have live recordings? When I listen to the album, I can envision all the characters and scenes playing out in my head. A DVD might ruin that, replacing all that imagery with some 50 year old dude singing all the parts with some flash animations in the background  :)
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #429 on: February 27, 2017, 06:06:47 PM »
And in the mix the vocal track was compressed as hell, making all those little noises and nuances come out quite annoyingly so.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #430 on: February 27, 2017, 07:58:20 PM »
Okay so I didn't get to see TA live, so this is me trying to see the bright side... Perhaps it's better to not have live recordings? When I listen to the album, I can envision all the characters and scenes playing out in my head. A DVD might ruin that, replacing all that imagery with some 50 year old dude singing all the parts with some flash animations in the background  :)
Age matters not. James Labrie fits the role well and has good stage presence.  50 is not old, alot of musicians are still kicking ass in their 60s and 70s. DT have alot left in them, and they are all in good shape. Better than alot of people in their 20s and 30s..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #431 on: February 28, 2017, 05:51:14 AM »

I'm the opposite. When listening to just the album, I had a hard time following what was going on and couldn't picture anything in my head in terms of characters. Seeing it live three times explained everything and gave me a much better understanding of the world, its people, and the story as a whole.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #432 on: February 28, 2017, 10:14:01 AM »
I hope that, after the next album is released (probably by mid 2018), they play more than just one or two TA songs on the tour. Would be sad if they don't revisit that album on future tours  :sad:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #433 on: March 01, 2017, 04:43:26 AM »
I doubt they'd neglect the album. There's loads of possibilities for tracks to bring back & most of them don't take up that much time.

You could argue that they may neglect it due to low reception, but they still play stuff from WD&DU, so again, I doubt that'd be the case.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #434 on: March 01, 2017, 01:29:39 PM »
I doubt they'd neglect the album. There's loads of possibilities for tracks to bring back & most of them don't take up that much time.

You could argue that they may neglect it due to low reception, but they still play stuff from WD&DU, so again, I doubt that'd be the case.

I really hope you're right! Also, I really hope there's no IAW songs on the next tour. Love the album, but they've played these songs waaaaaaay too much, specially on the current tour  :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline dparrott

« Reply #435 on: March 04, 2017, 10:47:46 AM »
"No one buys CD's anymore."  Then do what Metallica does and put it online! Production money saved.

I thought the drum sound live was better than the album?  Someone said they heard MM's cymbals and highs better live.

Plus the extended solo that wasn't on the album!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Rammstein

« Reply #436 on: March 10, 2017, 03:23:59 AM »
I can imagine that the cost of production would NOT be more than the generated revenue. But it definitely is a big Investment and an uncertainty regarding actual sale Performance. The second leg of TA in NA may not have been too well with ticket sales etc. Some People on DTF commented about half empty Theaters. This is concerning given the fact that they Chose smaller venues for the sake of a better Music(al) experience. But if those smaller venues a just half packed, the bunisess side might have been hard. They maybe did break even eventually but are afraid that another huge Investment (besides the for DT Terms huge stage production of the TA-tour) regarding an initial Investment to produce such a bluray an bring it out to the market. I think from a Business side it is smart and understandable to not make this bluray. As a fan (and As I am) I would love to have one. It was awesome to see this Show in Frankfurt and Stuttgart, but it is very important for DT to stay economically healthy in such hard times for the entire Music industry. I also think that they Kind of oversaturated their specific market in the last years. Since 2011 we had 3 Studio Albums and 2 blurays. Plus more than one tour a year. I dont think that there is huge demand for ANOTHER bluray right now besides the core fanbase (reflected on Forums like this).
On contrary Rammstein (see my user Name :D) put out their last Studio effort in 2009! Their next Album is so extremely anticipated in their particular genre. They brought out DVD since and a best of and all went well economically. I think it is a good example that less can sell more!

IMO it would be best for DT to put a bluray out for another tour in maybe 2 years and maybe film it in europe as they dont filmed there yet and the market itself is very important for them (packed Shows most of the time).

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #437 on: March 10, 2017, 04:02:35 AM »
When I saw it performed live, right after it was released, the theaters were still packed in europe. But given the amount of digital corrections they have had to do on past dvd releases, this one woulld make for a massive headache if the recorded suffered from technical mishaps or mistakes. Plus the fact that this wasn't the massive succes that the band clearly hoped for amongst fans made this decision probably the 'safe bet' .
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Rammstein

« Reply #438 on: March 10, 2017, 05:00:12 AM »
yeah I also saw it twice in Germany in March 2016. very very full/sold out Shows. Europe never is a crowd wise for them. The 2nd leg in the USA however seemed to more of problem.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #439 on: March 10, 2017, 02:45:19 PM »
yeah I also saw it twice in Germany in March 2016. very very full/sold out Shows. Europe never is a crowd wise for them. The 2nd leg in the USA however seemed to more of problem.
Europe's crowds are generally much larger than those in North America, absolutely. But I remember hearing from some (who live there) that even in Europe, the crowds are shrinking. When they did a second run through Europe in 2014, this was more evident. I would imagine if they would have done the same thing again (doing a second run through Europe, playing many of the same areas with the same TA setlist), the turn out would not be as good either. Shifting gears and revamping the setlist to focus on IaW and ACoS, as well as changing things up live with the jams and improvs definitely made a difference in fan interest.

As for comparing the first and second North American legs, I think one thing that is often overlooked is the fact that the dates were announced before the album went on sale, and therefore before anyone heard it. Being as polarizing as it has been, a lot of fans love it, but a lot of fans have been turned off by it too, and probably wouldn't have bought tickets had they known what the album would be like, which is what happened to one of my friends.

Two other things that I don't think helped the second run through North America (besides the fact that they were only doing the new album, and not playing anything from their previous albums) are that some of the shows were booked very closely together, or at least in close proximity to where they played on the first leg of the tour. While some fans may argue that it was worth seeing multiple times, without having changes in the setlist from night to night (as in days of old) and higher ticket prices didn't motivate many fans to see show more than once (as was the case with me). And having the dates dribbled out, causing some fans to purchase tickets to shows some distance away, only to find out closer shows were announced later didn't help either.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #440 on: March 10, 2017, 03:37:16 PM »
Two other things that I don't think helped the second run through North America (besides the fact that they were only doing the new album, and not playing anything from their previous albums) are that some of the shows were booked very closely together, or at least in close proximity to where they played on the first leg of the tour. While some fans may argue that it was worth seeing multiple times, without having changes in the setlist from night to night (as in days of old) and higher ticket prices didn't motivate many fans to see show more than once (as was the case with me). And having the dates dribbled out, causing some fans to purchase tickets to shows some distance away, only to find out closer shows were announced later didn't help either.
Yeah, on the first issue, the band were not happy about that at all.  That was not their intention, and they were frustrated that it ended up being booked that way.  And I know for me, even though I really liked the album, I was not planning on seeing it again when it rolled through a second time.  I ended up going because a friend of mine wanted to go.  And once I was there, I was SO glad I did go.  But still, I almost didn't.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: March 10, 2017, 04:10:00 PM »
Yeah, on the first issue, the band were not happy about that at all.  That was not their intention, and they were frustrated that it ended up being booked that way.  And I know for me, even though I really liked the album, I was not planning on seeing it again when it rolled through a second time.  I ended up going because a friend of mine wanted to go.  And once I was there, I was SO glad I did go.  But still, I almost didn't.

I don't know who's managing things like communication and tour booking (I know they've recently switched their booking company) but there was a post on Facebook that was put out on December 25th announcing the incoming announcement of I&W & Beyond tour in the US and Asia.

25th of December.

Plus, what happened here in Italy, where they announced new dates while the previous ones where still on sale (and even before the tour had started) has never happened before.

I mean, I love them and at the end of the day I actually care just about the music, but guys they've screwed so many things recently I'm starting to being concerned about their ability to handle this business.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #442 on: March 10, 2017, 04:15:44 PM »
Don't recall this happening with MP.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: March 10, 2017, 04:44:11 PM »

:laugh:

Well, you know, jokes aside the impression I have, and from what I've heard, they're relating a lot on people from the Label or third party people, which you know is largely common in the business so I don't find it strange. But there'r making a lot of mistakes, imho.
Look at their last fb post where they share an interview with JM: the post introduce the interview repeating its title (which you can already see from the article preview) and it's all written in capital letters. And they always do things like this. I mean, these may be just details, but c'mon you are Dream Theater...

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #444 on: March 10, 2017, 07:27:32 PM »
Well, while I know you were kidding Tim, some might actually think that. But that being said, one of the things I don't believe MP bothered having much of a say in was the business end of things - that's something that JP was always more in tune with, probably working with their manager Frank on such decisions. I'm sure that MP was probably consulted on some matters, but he probably didn't care to be that involved, trusting others with more interest/knowledge in such things to handle them.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #445 on: March 10, 2017, 07:29:44 PM »
Well, while I know you were kidding Tim, some might actually think that. But that being said, one of the things I don't believe MP bothered having much of a say in was the business end of things - that's something that JP was always more in tune with, probably working with their manager Frank on such decisions. I'm sure that MP was probably consulted on some matters, but he probably didn't care to be that involved, trusting others with more interest/knowledge in such things to handle them.

Yes, it was totally a wisecrack.

But I can't help but feel that any public announcements or presentations to the public would have had some sort of double check by MP. He seemed to be very involved in any external communications.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #446 on: April 01, 2017, 08:45:59 AM »
Still kinda bummed there doesn't appear to any kind of official recording of this tour.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: June 27, 2017, 06:32:49 AM »
So this is not happening?!
Cause I thought it was gonna..
If there's really no BluRay of this tour, I oughtta slap myself across the cheeks with a black dildo. I should have bought tickets with a credit card or something.. I was broke as fuck when they came to Texas and I couldn't see the show, I tried so hard to get tickets cheap from various places but no luck, I went to the venue and spoke with the people at the tickets window and they couldn't give me any kinda of discount, I could hear the gift of music playing from the outside as I turned around and walked away :(
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: June 27, 2017, 08:10:07 AM »
That's pretty unfortunate, but also surprising since cheap tickets were available for this tour on the secondary market, or if the venue would just discount tickets to sell some since most venues were half empty.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #449 on: July 02, 2017, 06:49:29 PM »
I'd even settle for a board official bootleg at this point.