Author Topic: Blu Ray / DVD of The Astonishing tour  (Read 55988 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Blu Ray / DVD of The Astonishing tour
« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2016, 09:31:02 AM »
Spoke to both JP and JLB about this last night at the last show of the tour.  That was it for The Astonishing for the foreseeable future, and no DVD/Bluray was filmed.  Both of them mentioned that the production could potentially be pulled back out at a future date for such a filming, but there are no concrete plans for it at this time.

that really sucks, but not at all surprising.  I don't see them pulling this back out in the future sadly.

Yeah, the chance for that is virtually nil. I assume they rented those screens.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #141 on: December 06, 2016, 09:33:26 AM »
Spoke to both JP and JLB about this last night at the last show of the tour.  That was it for The Astonishing for the foreseeable future, and no DVD/Bluray was filmed.  Both of them mentioned that the production could potentially be pulled back out at a future date for such a filming, but there are no concrete plans for it at this time.

that really sucks, but not at all surprising.  I don't see them pulling this back out in the future sadly.
I don't either.

TBH, what with the screens and the NOMAC chatter, I'm not sure it translate as well to video as a normal show.  It needed to be seen live to fully appreciate the production.

Yeah, the chance for that is virtually nil. I assume they rented those screens.
I don't think so.  For normal tours, I believe this is the case.  But if I'm not mistaken, they bought this setup.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #142 on: December 06, 2016, 09:54:59 AM »
Did you ask if there's any plan for a DVD from 2017 IaW tour?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #143 on: December 06, 2016, 10:03:17 AM »
TBH, what with the screens and the NOMAC chatter, I'm not sure it translate as well to video as a normal show.  It needed to be seen live to fully appreciate the production.

I always wondered that. The videos would have had a hard time standing on their own, since they were so clearly designed to be seen as slivers behind the band. So, the only thing they could have done would have been a plain ol' live DVD that just shows them playing on stage. But given the theatrical intent of TA, that probably would have been less than satisfying.

On another note, rats, now I will never know what they would have done with the Lord Nafaryus section.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2016, 10:07:07 AM »
Well I'm happier than hell that I saw it live, it was F :hefdaddy ING AMAZING and I don't think any video would do it justice anyway.

I always wondered that. The videos would have had a hard time standing on their own, since they were so clearly designed to be seen as slivers behind the band. So, the only thing they could have done would have been a plain ol' live DVD that just shows them playing on stage. But given the theatrical intent of TA, that probably would have been less than satisfying.

On another note, rats, now I will never know what they would have done with the Lord Nafaryus section.

He would have sung it close and they would have pitch corrected it. Or just re-sing the whole section. Depends if it's on BTFW or LALP  :laugh:

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2016, 10:12:25 AM »
Disappointing to me. Definitely do not see them doing it as a one-off in the future, now.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2016, 10:13:40 AM »
Disappointing to me. Definitely do not see them doing it as a one-off in the future, now.
It could happen.  They both mentioned it separately, so it has definitely been discussed as a possibility.  We'll see.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2016, 10:16:48 AM »
Well that really blows, and to put the icing on the cake, there's next to no good footage of it on Youtube. This is actually incredibly lame and I'm pretty disappointed. They pulled out all the unnecessary stops (choir and orchestra) for that Boston gig, and they don't even film this one? I don't get it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 10:52:38 AM by Chino »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: December 06, 2016, 10:20:57 AM »
Well that really blows, and to put the icing on the cake, there's next to know good footage of it on Youtube. This is actually incredibly lame and I'm pretty disappointed. They pulled out all the unnecessary stops (choir and orchestra) for that Boston gig, and they don't even film this one? I don't get it.

The shows were probably not attended enough to warrant a film crew etc.  Plus you have one chance to nail it. Of course you can touch it up later but still.

One chance for every technical thing to slot into place and everyone be on their best form.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #149 on: December 06, 2016, 10:37:34 AM »
Well that really blows, and to put the icing on the cake, there's next to know good footage of it on Youtube. This is actually incredibly lame and I'm pretty disappointed. They pulled out all the unnecessary stops (choir and orchestra) for that Boston gig, and they don't even film this one? I don't get it.

The shows were probably not attended enough to warrant a film crew etc.  Plus you have one chance to nail it. Of course you can touch it up later but still.

One chance for every technical thing to slot into place and everyone be on their best form.

Outside of the crowds, everything else you mentioned applies to every other live release they've done. Also, regarding the crowd, had DT announced ahead of time a DVD filming, it would have sold out in no time.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: December 06, 2016, 10:45:26 AM »

I think fan reaction probably played a role.  If people aren't showing up to the concerts, why should the band invest money into a big time production?  It just doesn't make business sense sadly.

I guess there are some legit concerns about how to film it while properly incorporating the background videos so they'd probably need a good director which means more money too.

The fact that they didn't let people record videos is just more salt in the wounds here since now there will never be any good footage from this tour.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: December 06, 2016, 11:20:33 AM »
The euorpean tour sold pretty well with multiple nights in most cities.
The first american leg seems to have gone well too.... the second leg would probably have been better if placed in europe

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2016, 11:22:09 AM »
The first american leg seems to have gone well too.... the second leg would probably have been better if placed in europe

I'd be very curious as to how a second european leg would do or other parts of the world that did not get TA. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #153 on: December 06, 2016, 11:30:42 AM »
Well that really blows, and to put the icing on the cake, there's next to no good footage of it on Youtube.

That is actually the real shame. I mean, this tour will probably go down as the "forgotten tour", where there is virtually no recording evidence of it, one way or the other.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2016, 11:31:27 AM »
Well that really blows, and to put the icing on the cake, there's next to no good footage of it on Youtube.

That is actually the real shame. I mean, this tour will probably go down as the "forgotten tour", where there is virtually no recording evidence of it, one way or the other.

I remember some of the audience videos of the ADTOE tour were nearly DVD quality :o

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: December 06, 2016, 11:32:15 AM »

Outside of the crowds, everything else you mentioned applies to every other live release they've done. Also, regarding the crowd, had DT announced ahead of time a DVD filming, it would have sold out in no time.

I'm sure there was more on this tour with regards to technical stuff that HAD to go right.

Online faizoff

« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2016, 11:35:25 AM »
Really bummed to hear my suspicion all but confirmed. That's really too bad, the show was fantastic and for me the lighting was easily my favorite part of the show, they synced quite well with the riffs of the songs and it was a joy to watch. Where I sat the sound was perfect and I could hear each instrument quite clearly along with JLB's voice who did do some weird and sudden high pitched adjustments but overall was still fantastic.

The encore of the show was a surprise to me because I didn't know the songs they were playing and wasn't sure if they were doing anything from their back catalog.

I did take some pics and one or two very short video clips as the attendants were very strict and clamped down on anyone taking videos and I saw them asking people to erase it from their phones right away.

Two video clips, 1st from Ravenskill. 2nd from That path that divides.

https://vid5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/faizoff/IMG_7308.mp4

https://vid5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/faizoff/IMG_7311.mp4
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 10:59:45 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2016, 11:41:33 AM »
Too bad, this would have been a fantastic show to watch on HD!  I wonder what kept them from filming such a great production and performance? Like somebody else said, if they would have announced ahead of time that it was being filmed, that particular show would have likely sold out. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the record company and management put the kai-bosh on the idea all worried it would be a flop. If that's the case, they don't know DT fans very well do they!?  Dang, I would have loved this show to be in my concert library..   :(
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2016, 11:44:37 AM »

Well, to be honest, most if not the entire european tour was announced before the album release, so people bought the ticket on trust and the promise of something unique. Once the album was out, people who didn't like it just skipped the tour.

It's a pity there won't be a release, it's almost ironic that out of three tours with Mangini, the one that does not get a DVD is the one that was the most visually complex and theatrical. At least I've seen the show, and even if I was in a bad position (the very angle on top of the theatre), I still enjoyed it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #159 on: December 06, 2016, 11:45:24 AM »
Faizoff,  great photos!  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #160 on: December 06, 2016, 11:48:18 AM »

Not any more forgotten than the BC&SL tour. I literally have very little memory of what songs they played back then or which places did the tour visit.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #161 on: December 06, 2016, 12:05:34 PM »
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the record company and management put the kai-bosh on the idea all worried it would be a flop.

Probably this. I mean, there's a video game that was supposed to be out a few months ago and it's December and still no game. The Deluxe version was a total fiasco...I guess releasing a novel vs filming a DVD was a much lower risk move...And maybe even DT is paying the novel's author directly without the label being involved.

Online faizoff

« Reply #162 on: December 06, 2016, 12:13:38 PM »
There's supposed to be a game?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2016, 12:15:19 PM »

Online faizoff

« Reply #164 on: December 06, 2016, 12:22:03 PM »
Wow. That's somewhat like the idea Metallica had for a game during the time Some Kind of Monster documentary came out, I think the DVD has a trailer for the game as well.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: December 06, 2016, 12:22:55 PM »
I'm ok with no Astonishing DVD. I've got Luna Park and BTFW already.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: December 06, 2016, 12:26:05 PM »

What does LP and BTFW have anything to do with a potential TA dvd?  There's no overlap in songs.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #167 on: December 06, 2016, 12:32:02 PM »

What does LP and BTFW have anything to do with a potential TA dvd?  There's no overlap in songs.
Meaning Live at Luna and BTFW are hard to top. I think TA on dvd could top both of those!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: December 06, 2016, 12:34:05 PM »

Meaning Live at Luna and BTFW are hard to top. I think TA on dvd could top both of those!

I'd say LaLP could be topped, BTFW could be as well, but that's much harder to top.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #169 on: December 06, 2016, 12:48:30 PM »
LALP sadly had really bad sound. BTFW on the other hand, yes, I agree, is hard to top.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: December 06, 2016, 12:52:28 PM »
But this is the only chance to do a full recording of The Astonishing. Would be soo bummed if they did not take it...

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #171 on: December 06, 2016, 12:53:51 PM »
An interview done by the DT Radio asked whether there would be a dvd. Jordan says they still have plans to do it.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: December 06, 2016, 01:01:00 PM »
An interview done by the DT Radio asked whether there would be a dvd. Jordan says they still have plans to do it.

I really hope they will.... it"s such a fantastic show

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #173 on: December 06, 2016, 01:01:49 PM »
For Audio only, the Boston show on the Bootlegs forum is just fine for me.  Would definitely like the fully produced and video version though.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: December 06, 2016, 01:02:24 PM »

When was that interview done?  Maybe plans have changed.