Author Topic: Blu Ray / DVD of The Astonishing tour  (Read 55994 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Blu Ray / DVD of The Astonishing tour
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2016, 12:53:46 PM »
o_O?

I'm sorry, but do you guys just seriously not hear this?

Yes. And I'm saying it sounded way better live. Hell you can barely hear his background vocals in those.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2016, 12:54:27 PM »
The first link especially leaves very little to the imagination. And it was that way too in Boston.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2016, 12:56:02 PM »
I guess the band just had a really good night in Tuscon.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2016, 03:50:03 PM »
Eh, being there is always different than hearing a recording. i've been to many shows that sounded absolutely amazing to my ears while there, but listening back to recordings was just a sad sad wakeup call.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2016, 04:18:12 PM »
I just don't understand why, when they're recording, James doesn't speak up and say "listen guys, I'm rested and sure, with 10 takes, I can pull this off. But have you considered the three nights in a row where I have to pull this off after an hour of singing?"

Rush learned that lesson and so did many other bands, when they realized they're no longer 20-year olds, but instead write within the constraints of their instrument. In fact, many bands rose to new heights when they were forced to shift.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 04:23:13 PM by rumborak »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2016, 04:22:17 PM »
Never underestimate the overconfidence musicians, including singers, can have; it's possible that JLB thinks he can do it.  Heck, while it's very possible that deep down he knew it, but never said it, Geddy Lee talked in recent years like he could still everything as good as he ever had, which is crazy when you consider that his vocals, especially live, aren't nearly what they used to be.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2016, 04:26:22 PM »
Goooood point, Kev, I have often wondered about that. Even when I was playing in my measly DT tribute, there was already a staggering amount of "mental turf war" going on. Your band mates aren't going to say anything, especially after years of playing with you. MP was the only one seriously aware of negative feedback, so I think at this point James, and the others, live in a bubble, for better or for worse.
He might think "nobody notices in the heat of the action", and frankly, if DTF is a measure, many actually don't.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2016, 06:20:39 PM »
o_O?

I'm sorry, but do you guys just seriously not hear this?

James is pushing his vocals, but hitting a hard ceiling, with the result that he essentially hovers around one (wrong) note the whole time. At the end, when he should go even higher, he resorts to this ... bark thing.

Now I do.. The first thing I noticed about this section live though is that JLB changes the rhythmic of the verse.. Basically, he doesn't start the very first note/word of each line where he suposed to (along with the riff and the cymbals).. As for the tone, yeah, in the first vid he's out of it... but as guys up here have said, to hear it live is not the same, and he's nailed those lines when I saw them this year (which in fact happened only a couple of days before the Chile show)..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2016, 06:40:20 PM »
I'm just gonna leave this discussion at the point where I think you guys are just not hearing it. Both clips are atrocious, it's like a dog barking into a microphone. James can be a great singer when in range, but in this section it's like listening to a dying animal.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2016, 06:47:00 PM »
I'm just gonna leave this discussion at the point where I think you guys are just not hearing it. Both clips are atrocious, it's like a dog barking into a microphone. James can be a great singer when in range, but in this section it's like listening to a dying animal.

We do hear it fine. And it's not great.

But I am saying his voice was awesome in Tuscon. In those vids it doesn't sound great.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2016, 07:05:19 PM »
I have strong doubts you were cognizant of the faults in Tucson. I think they were there just as in Chile, Boston and Hannover, but your excitement and adrenaline made you not realize them. I mean, it already took some "convincing" that the atrocious video samples were as bad as they are, whereas to any outside observer they were karaoke night level.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #116 on: November 26, 2016, 09:01:15 PM »
to any outside observer they were karaoke night level.

Probably you should've leave the discussion as you said so you wouldn't get to say something like that.. :lol

Seriously though, at least *I* did say that I was hearing now what you were saying.. But then again, I didn't hear any BIG detuning by James the time I saw him this year (here's that part of LN from the show I went to, although with pretty bad quality :-\ https://youtu.be/9ZB63MxrkTk?t=78)

I just checked it with my keyboard and he doesn't "hovers around one (wrong) note the whole time" as you said; instead, the notes he sometimes hits and sometimes not are precisely the highest and lowest of the three.. While I hear he's out in those few notes, and I also agree about the 'barking' (lol), I think his performance is not THAT bad to consider the overdubbing in a hypothetical DVD..

If we're going to be that strictic, there are a lot of sections more where he doesn't reach well the notes, specially the highest, obviously.. ;D
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #117 on: November 26, 2016, 09:17:10 PM »
I think, at least, we can all agree that, if they make a DVD for TA, they'll overdub a lot of the vocals  anyway :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #118 on: November 26, 2016, 11:00:57 PM »
That video is pretty much close to how he sang it. Which was awesome live. But then, I thought his vocals were too high in the mix at times that his vocals didn't blend too well with the music.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2016, 03:48:58 AM »
I sing (lessons, classical/musical) and frequently do so with other people. When improperly recorded with much background noise, it can sound like shit. When recorded with a proper device, it usually sounds much better. But this depends on many factors. You can't possibly judge a performance on a crappy yt vid, though I do think you can hear James struggles there and that his pronounciation is basically absent because of it. In the two shows I attended, there were definitely quite a few moments where James sounded straight up bad. Still, having recorded myself many times now with my phone in surrounding nowhere near as loud as a concert, I can say crappy bootlegs can make thing sound way, way worse than they actually are.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2016, 05:01:34 AM »
to any outside observer they were karaoke night level.

Probably you should've leave the discussion as you said so you wouldn't get to say something like that.. :lol

Seriously though, at least *I* did say that I was hearing now what you were saying.. But then again, I didn't hear any BIG detuning by James the time I saw him this year (here's that part of LN from the show I went to, although with pretty bad quality :-\ https://youtu.be/9ZB63MxrkTk?t=78)

I just checked it with my keyboard and he doesn't "hovers around one (wrong) note the whole time" as you said; instead, the notes he sometimes hits and sometimes not are precisely the highest and lowest of the three.. While I hear he's out in those few notes, and I also agree about the 'barking' (lol), I think his performance is not THAT bad to consider the overdubbing in a hypothetical DVD..

If we're going to be that strictic, there are a lot of sections more where he doesn't reach well the notes, specially the highest, obviously.. ;D

James sounds good here, and decent on the other vids.  That's an incredibly difficult part, and I don't mind James "barking" it if he can recover for the following part.  If he comes in flat after the shouting then yea that sucks.  Expecting him to nail that with incredible power and perfect enunciation live when he has to sing the part that comes right after is ridiculous.  He's got to pace himself a bit at times.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 05:50:11 AM by gm5k »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2016, 01:18:04 PM »
I sing (lessons, classical/musical) and frequently do so with other people. When improperly recorded with much background noise, it can sound like shit. When recorded with a proper device, it usually sounds much better. But this depends on many factors. You can't possibly judge a performance on a crappy yt vid, though I do think you can hear James struggles there and that his pronounciation is basically absent because of it. In the two shows I attended, there were definitely quite a few moments where James sounded straight up bad. Still, having recorded myself many times now with my phone in surrounding nowhere near as loud as a concert, I can say crappy bootlegs can make thing sound way, way worse than they actually are.

This.  I just watched both of those clips which sound all around terrible.

Offline CB

« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2016, 03:58:03 PM »

To me the barking sounds like Nafaryus in a fit of anger

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2016, 05:14:06 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLu0ClOcNQs&feature=youtu.be&t=85

There something I noticed in the video. If you go at 2:56, the sound temporarily gets muffled for some reason and James voice starts to sound pretty weird. But at 2:59 the sound gets back to normal and you realize that he actually sounds okay. So it seems to me that low quality recording can affect his voice negatively.

However, I'll agree with you that James seems to be struggling pretty hard in the section you've pointed out.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2016, 08:20:12 AM »
However, I'll agree with you that James seems to be struggling pretty hard in the section you've pointed out.

Yea, I didnt mention this, but I do agree that JLB didn't handle this section greatly when I saw DT either.  Just didn't think it's fair to rip him on such a poorly recorded video, but there is some fair criticism on this section, maybe there are other videos out there of it.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #125 on: December 01, 2016, 08:25:04 AM »
This is all I have to say about that, and it was just as bad the three times I saw it live.

The twenty seconds following 1:22 in Lord Nafaryus might be the most annoying, unpleasant piece of audio DT has ever released. Other than that, I really like this album.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2016, 12:26:54 PM »
This is all I have to say about that, and it was just as bad the three times I saw it live.

The twenty seconds following 1:22 in Lord Nafaryus might be the most annoying, unpleasant piece of audio DT has ever released. Other than that, I really like this album.

:o That's like my favorite part!!!!! I even showed it to my friend two days ago just because I thought it was awesome :rollin :rollin

Offline faizoff

« Reply #127 on: December 01, 2016, 10:32:14 PM »
I just came back from the Clearwater concert and will be very sad if there is no video release of this performance. It was an amazing concert start to finish and I got all kinds of emotional at the end when it hit me that I've been listening to this band for 25 years now.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #128 on: December 02, 2016, 06:44:44 AM »
Sorry if I'm late to the party, but are we pretty certain at this point that there won't be an Astonishing Blu-Ray? That would be a huge bummer for me. I'd love to see it captured live.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #129 on: December 02, 2016, 07:56:05 AM »
Sorry if I'm late to the party, but are we pretty certain at this point that there won't be an Astonishing Blu-Ray?

No.  People just speculating.  It is the DTF way.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline smegolas

« Reply #130 on: December 02, 2016, 10:13:27 AM »
Yes those clips sound awful.  Some of that is due to an iphone recording, some due to the fact that James has never been a good live singer.  You can get away with that in the heat of the moment during a concert where everything is turned up to 11, but not on a live DVD which listeners can hear properly.

Some people like me absolutely love TA but never got to see it live, and it would be a damn shame not to get a DVD of what is probably the most epic thing they, or maybe any band, has ever done.  James sounds like hell?  Just overdub the whole damn vocal track.  While you're at it, overdub anything that that doesn't sound right.  Who the hell cares?  I want something that sounds great, not to listen to a bunch of mistakes just because its more "authentic".

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #131 on: December 02, 2016, 10:24:26 AM »
Yes those clips sound awful.  Some of that is due to an iphone recording, some due to the fact that James has never been a good live singer.  You can get away with that in the heat of the moment during a concert where everything is turned up to 11, but not on a live DVD which listeners can hear properly.

Some people like me absolutely love TA but never got to see it live, and it would be a damn shame not to get a DVD of what is probably the most epic thing they, or maybe any band, has ever done.  James sounds like hell?  Just overdub the whole damn vocal track.  While you're at it, overdub anything that that doesn't sound right.  Who the hell cares?  I want something that sounds great, not to listen to a bunch of mistakes just because its more "authentic".
I like some cosmetic surgery on live releases, but not too much. Part of what makes a live release different to the studio counterpart is (apart from the obvious live setting) the subtle imperfections throughout. As you say, I'm not interested in hearing James (or anyone) screw up big time, but I indeed am looking forward to the small nuances and mistakes that normally make up the live release. If I wanted to listen to a 100% polished studio production, I'd put in the 100% studio production and not the live release. Also, they rely so heavily nowadays in backing tracks that the live release would be very much alike the studio version aside from the mixing which can bring a different element of the music upfront (such as the DT12 tunes in BTFW9).
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline smegolas

« Reply #132 on: December 02, 2016, 10:29:19 AM »
My concern is mainly the vocals - that's the weak link.  Some their old DVDs (Live Scenes from NY) could have been way better with some overdubs.  TSCO with Teresa and the choir could have been so incredible if not for James' vocals.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: December 02, 2016, 10:59:13 AM »

Couldnt disagree more with some of this.  First James is a decent live singer.  He isn't always perfect, but he is far from "never been a good live singer" IMO.  Also I'm with Darklord on the live release.  No one wants major fuck ups, but I also don't want a perfect rendition of the album.... that's what the album is for.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2016, 07:35:38 PM »

No issue "fixing" a major mistake, but absolutely not on board with a totally dubbed in vocal track. What's the point?

Couldnt disagree more with some of this.  First James is a decent live singer.  He isn't always perfect, but he is far from "never been a good live singer" IMO.  Also I'm with Darklord on the live release.  No one wants major fuck ups, but I also don't want a perfect rendition of the album.... that's what the album is for.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2016, 09:05:44 AM »
Spoke to both JP and JLB about this last night at the last show of the tour.  That was it for The Astonishing for the foreseeable future, and no DVD/Bluray was filmed.  Both of them mentioned that the production could potentially be pulled back out at a future date for such a filming, but there are no concrete plans for it at this time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2016, 09:09:28 AM »
Spoke to both JP and JLB about this last night at the last show of the tour.  That was it for The Astonishing for the foreseeable future, and no DVD/Bluray was filmed.  Both of them mentioned that the production could potentially be pulled back out at a future date for such a filming, but there are no concrete plans for it at this time.

that really sucks, but not at all surprising.  I don't see them pulling this back out in the future sadly.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2016, 09:09:51 AM »

Massively disappointed by this but glad I saw it twice.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2016, 09:16:13 AM »
Based on that, I don't think we will ever see a DVD of TA.

I don't see them randomly busting this full show, production and all, back out in the future.

Offline w_marano

• : never give up, it's such a wonderful life :
« Reply #139 on: December 06, 2016, 09:17:47 AM »

Sad news! Luckily I had the chance to see Astonishing live in Brazil last year!