Author Topic: Blu Ray / DVD of The Astonishing tour  (Read 55979 times)

Offline Peter1960

Blu Ray / DVD of The Astonishing tour
« on: November 02, 2016, 01:30:52 AM »
There have been two recent live chats with JR and JP, during which they answered fans questions. Unless I missed it, I did not see either of them address any questions regarding a Blu Ray or DVD of the current tour.

In his live chat, JP stated that there will be no more full shows of The Astonishing after the current run, so this is their only chance to film a show.

Has anyone met any of the band during the current tour and specifically asked if there will be a Blu Ray or DVD ? I seem to recall that the filming of the Boston Opera House show for BTFW was not announced in advance, so perhaps they have something up their sleeve for us ?

There are 18 shows remaining - which venue might be good for a DVD shoot ?

I sincerely hope that they do film one of the remaining shows, otherwise it will be a lost opportunity.

Offline Skeever

Re: Blu Ray / DVD of The Astonishing tour
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 05:11:50 AM »
Don't think we're getting one. Maybe if TA had a bigger production, like The Theater Equation, I could see it happening. But idk when/if it could get to that point.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 05:40:28 AM »
  I seem to recall that the filming of the Boston Opera House show for BTFW was not announced in advance,
Yes, it was.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 06:05:05 AM »
They have announced they will be touring Asia and Australia sometime in the New Year.

My guess is they will film one of those shows.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 06:36:15 AM »
I had a theory that the first legs were meant to scout for the best theatre in terms of sounds and location, but I guess I was wrong...

I also remember when the italian date of Trieste was cancelled, the press release (from the promoters) said something about them trying to work out with the band a date in October / November, but evidently no second european leg has ever materialized.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 07:41:28 AM »
I was thinking this morning that they could choose to perform a one-night only to record TA later this year with the full orchestra, the virtual production stuff that they were talking and maybe different guests for each role. Not sure if it will happen though.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 07:54:26 AM »

In his live chat, JP stated that there will be no more full shows of The Astonishing after the current run, so this is their only chance to film a show.

If that's the case, I'm going to go out on a limb and say they'll film it over two shows. They'll play two shows in one city. On night one they'll play the first half of TA and then a bunch of random songs. On night two they'll play the second half of TA and play a bunch of other random songs. They'll use both halves of TA to make the filmed version.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 08:17:25 AM »

I believe that was referring to North America only.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 08:23:46 AM »
I seem to recall that the filming of the Boston Opera House show for BTFW was not announced in advance

I believe it was well known that show was being filmed with the orchestra.

If any show was already filmed, my guess would be it was in europe since they shot the music video for Our New World there.  However, I doubt this is the scenario and my feeling of a live release of this show is fading every day.  I think the lack of fan support may be the reason why.  I still would love to get a blu ray of the show though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 08:50:56 AM »
Has anyone met any of the band during the current tour and specifically asked if there will be a Blu Ray or DVD ?

I asked JP earlier.  I can't remember whether it was after the show I saw them at on the first leg or whether we were discussing it via email when the first leg was wrapping up and they were getting ready to launch the second leg.  The response was that they were definitely planning to do so.  For reasons that should be obvious, I did not dig any deeper.  But they have (or at least had at that time) every intention of filming for a live release.

I think I am going to see them again next month.  If so, I will try to remember to ask again. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 06:50:59 PM »
Maybe if TA had a bigger production, like The Theater Equation

wat
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 11:32:35 PM »
They have announced they will be touring Asia and Australia sometime in the New Year.

:metal
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline PetFish

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 11:58:54 PM »

wat

I know, right?  The The Astonishing tour has had the biggest production of any Dream Theater show in their history so no soup for you.

???  ???  ???  ???  ???

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 02:39:31 AM »
Yeah, I'm not holding my breath either. Hard to believe it hasn't been a year since release.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 07:54:02 AM »

Would be cool if they filmed TA at the Sydney Opera House.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 05:13:58 PM »

wat

I know, right?  The The Astonishing tour has had the biggest production of any Dream Theater show in their history so no soup for you.

???  ???  ???  ???  ???

In what way? The DT12 DVD had full-fledged animation videos (The opener video, or Enigma Machine, anyone?) and a live orchestra. A TA DVD almost certainly would be a smaller production, unless they add something.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Cable

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 06:26:11 PM »
While I do not feel DT needs to put out a live DVD every tour (although another revenue stream in this tough era), I would really be bummed if they didn't film TA. The album still hasn't stuck with me, albeit I haven't gone back to it in awhile. But I feel a live DVD would help me further get into the album. It worked for SFAM for me.
---

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2016, 10:24:07 PM »

This would be the perfect place. It's such a legendary venue and filming a full performance of this incredible album there would be amazing.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2016, 07:13:39 AM »

This would be the perfect place. It's such a legendary venue and filming a full performance of this incredible album there would be amazing.

Yea, I think that would be a great spot to film a potential DVD.  It fits, it's historic, it's a location they haven't filmed in, and it's actually possible they will be playing there.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2016, 09:03:35 AM »

wat

???  ???  ???  ???  ???

I think he means casting the different roles. I really don't think a live Astonishing DVD would be necessary otherwise.

"But Live Scenes!"

They weren't playing to a click then. If we don't get different singers, the show would feature nothing different from the album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2016, 09:11:11 AM »
They weren't playing to a click then. If we don't get different singers, the show would feature nothing different from the album.

...except for:
-A live presentation
-Video
-The amazing visuals
-The crowd interaction
-Extended solo on A New Beginning
-Likely, the only chance ever to have a live presentation of this album in its entirety
Etc.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2016, 09:28:49 AM »

...except for:
-A live presentation
-Video
-The amazing visuals
-The crowd interaction
-Likely, the only chance ever to have a live presentation of this album in its entirety
Etc.

That alone is worth it IMO.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2016, 10:05:06 AM »

...except for:
-A live presentation
-Video
-The amazing visuals
-The crowd interaction
Etc.

- Not knocking them, but they aren't exactly Iron Maiden when it comes to presentation.
- Motion pictures aren't my thing
- They aren't that amazing, but at least they aren't LSFNY visuals
- Crowd's been almost muted for years. They're more audible on BTFW atleast.
- Hurray?
- Meh, I'd rather just listen to the album.

I love Dream Theater and The Astonishing is great, but if they don't do something really special like have other singers for the roles, then I'm not interested.

I had a blast watching Dream Theater live the 3 times I did, but the concert is a bit standard. Even the one time I saw them with Portnoy opening for Maiden. Great show, loved it, but nothing "OH MY GOD AMAZING" about it.

I guess I should also point out that I listen to live shows way more than watch them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2016, 02:24:09 PM »
And that's all fine.  But it not bringing anything to the table that you are interested in isn't the same thing as it "featur[ing] nothing different from the album."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2016, 04:02:18 PM »
I love The Astonishing, but I have to admit that it won't bother me at all if they don't record a show to release on DVD or Blu-ray.  I rarely watch concert videos anymore, except the truly special ones, and from what I have read, this one wouldn't be.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2016, 04:32:47 PM »
These days DT is also putting a rather heavy hand on their dubbing process. I have honestly listened to the bootleg of the Boston show more often than the official DVD, because on the bootleg I know I'm listening to the orchestra, not an overdub. Remember when they released the teaser video of the show and the audio totally didn't match up with JP's visuals because they had overdubbed big parts of his solo for the DVD? That stuff sticks with me, and drags down my enjoyment of it. .

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2016, 04:34:41 PM »
I agree totally. They should of kept in the fact that James forgot Erin's name and when he thanked the Boston College orchestra! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2016, 04:36:58 PM »
When the RCMH video had the guitar overdubbed because the amp crapped out during the show, that didn't bother me too much. But when JP, or the orchestra, flubs I want to hear it. Because it makes it real. For a band that's already struggling with sounding mechanical, I feel they should stay away from overdubs as much as possible.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2016, 08:44:25 PM »
When the RCMH video had the guitar overdubbed because the amp crapped out during the show, that didn't bother me too much. But when JP, or the orchestra, flubs I want to hear it. Because it makes it real. For a band that's already struggling with sounding mechanical, I feel they should stay away from overdubs as much as possible.

I think it would be interesting if they released a DVD of The Astonishing live, but literally replaced 100% of the audio with the studio album and see if people argue that they didn't do it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2016, 02:48:47 AM »

I totally agree with you, Rumby. Make a mistake? Keep it! A live album/DVD doesn't have to sound like it's in the studio or I'll just listen to the studio album.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2016, 09:58:34 AM »
I like when bands have flubs/mistakes, it keeps it real and shows that they're only human. Most of the time the audience laughs with them, not at them. 
 I remember seeing YES a few years back, they had a train wreck a little ways into a song and stopped playing to start the song over. Everybody started cheering!!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2016, 12:17:18 PM »
Overdubbing on a live album is like doing a painting - then scanning it into photoshop and adjusting it digitally then printing it out.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2016, 04:02:33 PM »
I like when bands have flubs/mistakes, it keeps it real and shows that they're only human. Most of the time the audience laughs with them, not at them. 

Agreed, although it depends on how bad it is if I would want to include it on the DVD.  The RCMH edit made sense, but small mistakes/accidents are fine for live releases IMO.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2016, 04:43:00 PM »
As someone who doesn't play instruments, I wouldn't even recognize mistakes, unless they're major clusterfucks.

You're at a concert, you're caught in the moment, the sound is what it is and always LOUD, how can you notice a minor mistake unless you're paying attention to a specific instrument that youreself you're familiar with? I could only realize how bad a singer is singing if that's the case, and that's it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2016, 06:03:24 PM »
As someone who doesn't play instruments, I wouldn't even recognize mistakes, unless they're major clusterfucks.

You're at a concert, you're caught in the moment, the sound is what it is and always LOUD, how can you notice a minor mistake unless you're paying attention to a specific instrument that youreself you're familiar with? I could only realize how bad a singer is singing if that's the case, and that's it.

I'm not a musician either, but depends on how well you know the band/music and how good the sound is at the concert to notice the mistakes for me.  Regardless, if it's on a release it will be much more easily discovered and probably ridiculed and is a good reason why the band (or any band) wouldn't do that.