Author Topic: Blu Ray / DVD of The Astonishing tour  (Read 56296 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Blu Ray / DVD of The Astonishing tour
« Reply #385 on: February 22, 2017, 02:21:22 PM »
I definitely like Score, yeah. I'm solely saying live orchestras haven't worked for them, so they should stay away from them in the future.

or maybe the third time is the charm for getting it right.  I'm not a believer in giving up like this, assuming that's what they would have wanted to do (play live with an orchestra/choir again)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #386 on: February 22, 2017, 02:22:45 PM »
An orchestra can work, they just have to plan much better for it. It seems they basically just do a normal show and shoehorn in an orchestra when they have.

Doing special prep work, picking a special venue for it, making special arrangements etc. I don't see them doing that, but it would help.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: February 22, 2017, 02:54:52 PM »
An orchestra can work, they just have to plan much better for it. It seems they basically just do a normal show and shoehorn in an orchestra when they have.

Doing special prep work, picking a special venue for it, making special arrangements etc. I don't see them doing that, but it would help.

Practice recording it  :lol but yea, it can be done and I see no reason why DT can't make it work in the future if they wanted to.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #388 on: February 23, 2017, 12:14:35 AM »
Man, my hearing must be totally F'ed because I never noticed anything off with the orchestra. Must have been the excitement. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: February 23, 2017, 04:15:58 AM »
Man, my hearing must be totally F'ed because I never noticed anything off with the orchestra. Must have been the excitement.

I'm going to guess 90% of the people didn't notice.  It seemed a bit low in the mix to me, but I wouldn't of noticed the orchestra was actually not the real live one if not for reading it here.  My ears aren't as good as some.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #390 on: February 23, 2017, 07:11:10 AM »
What stuck in my mind are the flutes. They were out of tune with each other.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline dparrott

« Reply #391 on: February 25, 2017, 09:54:14 AM »
Even though we want a DVD, I was thinking it's possible they have recorded a show audio only and release that.  Better than nothing!  These bootlegs aren't great.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: February 25, 2017, 11:38:41 AM »
Even though we want a DVD, I was thinking it's possible they have recorded a show audio only and release that.  Better than nothing!  These bootlegs aren't great.

Audio with the animations would work for me...

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #393 on: February 25, 2017, 01:22:43 PM »
I'm bummed that there won't be an Astonishing Live CD/DVD but this would be a great opportunity for an official bootleg.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #394 on: February 25, 2017, 02:01:46 PM »
Stupid question: Why wouldn't you just connect an audio recorder to the board at each show anyway? I takes a $20 device and a patch cable, that's it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #395 on: February 25, 2017, 02:38:24 PM »
I'd rather have a video than audio only. The studio version of TA would be pretty hard to top, so I don't see the need for a live audio only.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Adami

« Reply #396 on: February 25, 2017, 02:39:38 PM »
Stupid question: Why wouldn't you just connect an audio recorder to the board at each show anyway? I takes a $20 device and a patch cable, that's it.

While a fair point in general, what would an audio only recording of TA live offer? Musically it would be identical only not as good quality, and vocally it would be worse.

Edit: I guess the Billie Jean solo would be a bit longer, but meh.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #397 on: February 25, 2017, 06:08:10 PM »

DT has been multitrack recording stuff live for at least a decade now. Every show is recorded from the soundboard. Previously to that they've always done dat recordings off of the feed. This is why we could make fan club releases.

Problem is they don't have audience mics, so usually these recordings tend to feel a bit lifeless due to there being no room ambience in the recording. No cheers, no singalong etc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #398 on: February 26, 2017, 07:14:40 AM »
So for $20 more, they could record the audience, no?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evai

« Reply #399 on: February 26, 2017, 02:06:52 PM »
It's hard to afford these things when nobody buys CD's
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #400 on: February 26, 2017, 02:26:11 PM »
It's hard to afford these things when nobody buys CD's

What is there to afford? It's a one-time investment of maybe $200 to have a few of those concert recording devices that you just place in strategic places.

Offline Evai

« Reply #401 on: February 26, 2017, 03:55:23 PM »
James already has enough to deal with, he doesn't need to spend money so more fans can listen to recordings and want him fired.
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Online Adami

« Reply #402 on: February 26, 2017, 03:56:51 PM »
James already has enough to deal with, he doesn't need to spend money so more fans can listen to recordings and want him fired.

So they shouldn't release any recordings because of how bad they might be?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Evai

« Reply #403 on: February 26, 2017, 04:56:41 PM »
Unless there's a really good reason, then no. Why should they? I don't see much artistic merit in it..

Online Adami

« Reply #404 on: February 26, 2017, 04:57:51 PM »
Unless there's a really good reason, then no. Why should they? I don't see much artistic merit in it..

Artistic merit in releasing live recordings? It's not an artistic thing, it's a fan-relations, business thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #405 on: February 26, 2017, 10:10:33 PM »
Well but let's be honest here, DT is a very prolific band regarding that aspect.. We recently had, what, TWO dvd/br's within a single year?... and if we count the Happy Holidays cd, that's three official live albums in one year, so I don't think there's any need at all of releasing now another live album; even when I myself would want an Astonishing dvd, I don't think they owe us anything, like to be asking them to do it, when we also know the expensive it is and the time it takes to do it properly..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Online Adami

« Reply #406 on: February 26, 2017, 10:16:40 PM »
We got two dvds? Wasn't that just because the first one was delayed for such a long time? Or am I missing one?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #407 on: February 27, 2017, 08:01:01 AM »
BTFW was released in 2014, LALP in 2013. What am I missing?

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: February 27, 2017, 10:03:36 AM »
BTFW was released in 2014, LALP in 2013. What am I missing?

That both of them had complete recordings of The Astonishing  ::)

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #409 on: February 27, 2017, 11:54:36 AM »
I always thought that they made BTFW only because LALP turned out so badly and they wanted to make up for it.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #410 on: February 27, 2017, 12:54:35 PM »
I always thought that they made BTFW only because LALP turned out so badly and they wanted to make up for it.

I forgot all about LALP. I bought it and never opened it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #411 on: February 27, 2017, 12:58:40 PM »

I forgot all about LALP. I bought it and never opened it.
Dude!  :huh:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Adami

« Reply #412 on: February 27, 2017, 12:59:31 PM »
Yea, I think I watched it once. No real desire to revisit it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #413 on: February 27, 2017, 01:11:34 PM »
LALP is awesome. Not one of their best stage productions but the sound and set list is great! Good solo sections wit JR and JP too. They seemed to be relaxed and having alot of fun at that gig.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #414 on: February 27, 2017, 01:42:32 PM »
Not one of their best stage productions but the sound and set list is great!

I'd say sound is the weakest point of LALP actually. The drums sound way too thin and the mix is dominated by guitars loaded with chorus. The setlist is definitely really good though, just wish The Mirror was on it instead of say... AFIL.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #415 on: February 27, 2017, 01:49:53 PM »
LALP is awesome. Not one of their best stage productions but the sound and set list is great! Good solo sections wit JR and JP too. They seemed to be relaxed and having alot of fun at that gig.
The sound is precisely why I disliked it. It doesn't have a "live sound." It's no secret that they had lots of problems with the sound in post production, which apparently stemmed from the fact that Over The Edge Productions (who also did  the drummer auditions documentary) had never before done such a large project, and they were in way over their heads. It was delayed multiple times and released 15 months after it was recorded. I remember Rena Petrucci posting something along the lines of "it would have had no sound at all if JP hadn't done something miraculous."

The drums are thin, can't really hear the toms. The guitar sound is thin and sterile as well and it owerpowers everything. The keys are grossly undermixed. The only positive aspect of the release is James' relatively good performance.

I remember when the Happy Holidays release came out later that year, many said that it actually sounded better than LALP. It's definitely a more pleasant listen.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #416 on: February 27, 2017, 02:25:16 PM »
Don't forget about the audience noise being looped throughout the whole thing too. Very poorly done.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #417 on: February 27, 2017, 02:56:17 PM »
I've never heard happy holidays. What is that one about?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #418 on: February 27, 2017, 03:00:53 PM »

An album the band released for free around Xmas time in 2013, it was a live compilation of all the songs played in the Dramatic Turn of Events tour that didn't end up on Live at Luna Park.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #419 on: February 27, 2017, 03:35:04 PM »

An album the band released for free around Xmas time in 2013, it was a live compilation of all the songs played in the Dramatic Turn of Events tour that didn't end up on Live at Luna Park.

A REALLY good album if you like live bootlegs and that kind of stuff. The quality is amazing. I haven't listened to it since it was released, but I remember loving Mangini's drum sound on that release.