Author Topic: Blu Ray / DVD of The Astonishing tour  (Read 56506 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Blu Ray / DVD of The Astonishing tour
« Reply #350 on: February 20, 2017, 12:13:37 PM »

I used to have internet, I boycotted since the bill was $50 each month through dish network. I have internet on my phone.  I do need to get internet back as I have a great PC for it, just need to find a better server. Allready paying enough for tv service with dish.
 I've missed out on alot of cool DT related stuff such as interviews, live YouTube clips, guitar lessons etc, because of limited data on my Verizon service. I'm not the type to go where there is public Wi-Fi and sit a Starbucks and try to watch or listen to music related stuff, no thank you. I live in a rural area where I would have to drive somewhere for a Wi-Fi connection, a waste of time..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #351 on: February 20, 2017, 12:16:44 PM »
That's kinda self-inflicted though. You can't fault neither DT nor society for making increasing use of the internet for media streaming.
I'm with Chino. A streamed Youtube TA would have been better than no TA at all.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #352 on: February 20, 2017, 12:30:55 PM »
That's kinda self-inflicted though. You can't fault neither DT nor society for making increasing use of the internet for media streaming.
I'm with Chino. A streamed Youtube TA would have been better than no TA at all.
Very true, I kind of went a bit primitive in that respect.  It's not a bad thing, that way I'm not tempted to spend too much time surfing the web. I'm more likely to get things done on my days off and spend more time with my dog going on walks etc.
 I agree though, it would be better than having no TA at all..
 Btw, didn't DT record a TA show in Italy or somewhere, I thought I remembered someone saying there is a great video of ONW. Maybe they will surprise us with a release of that show?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #353 on: February 20, 2017, 12:35:09 PM »
I got the impression that the ONW video was mostly rehearsal footage (for which they could do close-ups), supplemented with a few live shots of the show later. I don't think they shot anything more of that show.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #354 on: February 20, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
Bummer!

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #355 on: February 20, 2017, 04:06:51 PM »
I'll take online streams over nothing at all, especially if it's no additional cost to me. Many bands already do this. They wouldn't even need to live stream them. Set up one camera and record the show. All the audio is running through the board anyway. Just capture it and upload to Youtube later. It's better than nothing. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather buy an official quality release, but as things stand right now, I'd rather an official bootleg of The Astonishing over no Astonishing.

I don't really know what to say about the internet thing... It's 2017. I'm sure there's a reason why you don't have internet, and whatever that reason is sucks, but you are in a very small, almost non-existent minority.

Actually he's not.. More than half the planet doesn't have access to internet right now..

But I agree that it'd be cool to see something like that.. If we're really don't having any DVD/BR, then an official bootleg or a streaming presentation it'd be very nice..

Having said that; I don't think the band owe us anything (not saying either of you have said that).. So do what you want.. I'll be cool with it anyway.. :police:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:28:42 PM by ToT-147 »
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #356 on: February 20, 2017, 07:01:12 PM »
BTW, somebody was suggesting an orchestra for a TA DVD. I would say DT should stay away from orchestras. They tried twice, and it was both times kinda disappointing. The Score orchestra has some really out of tune instruments, and BTFW had the orchestra entirely replaced.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #357 on: February 20, 2017, 07:13:59 PM »
and BTFW had the orchestra entirely replaced.

I still can't believe it. It actually makes it unlistenable. I had my son edit out the orchestra anyway on both the live and studio versions.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #358 on: February 20, 2017, 07:23:49 PM »
It's a bit like the TA tour, where the evidence of the actual performance is kinda erased. Luckily I was there and witnessed it.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #359 on: February 21, 2017, 03:52:37 AM »
I'll take online streams over nothing at all, especially if it's no additional cost to me. Many bands already do this. They wouldn't even need to live stream them. Set up one camera and record the show. All the audio is running through the board anyway. Just capture it and upload to Youtube later. It's better than nothing. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather buy an official quality release, but as things stand right now, I'd rather an official bootleg of The Astonishing over no Astonishing.

I don't really know what to say about the internet thing... It's 2017. I'm sure there's a reason why you don't have internet, and whatever that reason is sucks, but you are in a very small, almost non-existent minority.

Actually he's not.. More than half the planet doesn't have access to internet right now..

Not in the demographic DT is trying to market to. They aren't concerned with tribes in Ethiopia or the bush people of the Calahari. If you looked at only those in areas with retail/concerts, or a history of buying music with currency, he is definitely in a very small, almost non existent minority.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #360 on: February 21, 2017, 06:38:24 AM »
Dream Theater, when u come to Burkina Faso?!!

Haven't made that joke in a looong time. Nobody asks DT anymore to come to obscure places.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #361 on: February 21, 2017, 07:11:22 AM »

Haven't made that joke in a looong time. Nobody asks DT anymore to come to obscure places.

Nope, they pretty much hit them all on the last run through the US!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: February 21, 2017, 09:10:48 AM »

Nope, they pretty much hit them all on the last run through the US!

:rollin

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #363 on: February 21, 2017, 11:49:05 AM »
Dream Theater, when u come to Burkina Faso?!!

Oh man, those were the days.

DT INDONESIA SOON......MP DURMER BEST.... JP GOD....DT SOON...
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #364 on: February 21, 2017, 12:16:20 PM »

Not in the demographic DT is trying to market to. They aren't concerned with tribes in Ethiopia or the bush people of the Calahari. If you looked at only those in areas with retail/concerts, or a history of buying music with currency, he is definitely in a very small, almost non existent minority.

Now you are right.. Just couldn't stand the previous comment.. I guess now I'll have to.. Must overlook the other comments... otherwise......

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #365 on: February 21, 2017, 05:46:10 PM »
It would be cool if DT played Antarctica to a million 🐧penguins.  ACOS would go over well. It would make for a cool video!  :metal

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #366 on: February 21, 2017, 08:37:27 PM »
It would be cool if DT played Antarctica to a million 🐧penguins.  ACOS would go over well. It would make for a cool video!  :metal

Didn't Metallica do that?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #367 on: February 21, 2017, 08:39:33 PM »

Well yes, but sadly the Penguins were only interested in Megadeth.

The show was awful though. The cold screwed up the instruments and everyone was out of tune.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #368 on: February 21, 2017, 09:25:56 PM »

Well yes, but sadly the Penguins were only interested in Megadeth.

The show was awful though. The cold screwed up the instruments and everyone was out of tune.

:lol I don't care for Metallica either, but that concert idea was actually very cool (pun intended)  :biggrin:

About the tuning of the instruments, the same thing would happen to everyone on DT excepting Jordan, so doubt they'd ever do that.

PS: If DT recorded a live TA album on the Antartica, would't that be TA on ice?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #369 on: February 21, 2017, 09:30:04 PM »
What? Huh? What?  That had to be nerve wracking to play for a bunch of penguin. Ohh the pressure.. :omg:

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #370 on: February 21, 2017, 09:34:57 PM »
So did Metallica really do that?? If so, I didn't know... Or are you guys just toying with me, I'm so confused with delusions of grandeur! 
 And Yes, TA on ice would be very nice!

Online Adami

« Reply #371 on: February 21, 2017, 09:39:11 PM »
So did Metallica really do that?? If so, I didn't know... Or are you guys just toying with me, I'm so confused with delusions of grandeur! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hi2u98VKxc
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #372 on: February 21, 2017, 09:41:08 PM »
What? Huh? What?  That had to be nerve wracking to play for a bunch of penguin. Ohh the pressure.. :omg:

They had a real audience  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hi2u98VKxc

Real, indeed.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #373 on: February 21, 2017, 10:18:20 PM »
That show was historical.. Metallica playing in Antarctica.. Who cares about the sound?...

I think DT doing it would be nICE.... :neverusethis:

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #374 on: February 21, 2017, 10:22:24 PM »
Lol, no freaking way!  At least they were in a bubble.  I didn't watch the whole video, just the beginning of creeping death.. No penguins though.. :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #375 on: February 21, 2017, 10:23:14 PM »
Also didn't play Trapped Under Ice.

Missed opportunity.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #376 on: February 21, 2017, 10:32:51 PM »
Also didn't play Trapped Under Ice.

Missed opportunity.
:rollin

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #377 on: February 22, 2017, 12:39:38 AM »
BTW, somebody was suggesting an orchestra for a TA DVD. I would say DT should stay away from orchestras. They tried twice, and it was both times kinda disappointing. The Score orchestra has some really out of tune instruments, and BTFW had the orchestra entirely replaced.
So the entire original orchestra track was removed and overdubbed? Did someone officially confirm this and explain the reason? I remember that the orchestra part of in the middle of IT was lifted from the studio version and that was just ridiculous. I'd much rather have heard faulty, out of tune playing than that.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #378 on: February 22, 2017, 01:00:35 AM »
That is indeed totally prepostorous if true.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #379 on: February 22, 2017, 03:16:30 AM »
I remember when BTFW first came out, I listened to it and it was immediately blatantly obvious that the orchestra part in IT was pasted in from DT12. They guy who was the conductor of the orchestra (Eren Basbug) was lurking on DTF and answered a bunch of questions, but AFAIR he avoided that one. Then I remember someone saying that they kept the live track and added the DT12 track on top of it to make it sound fuller. But what's the point?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #380 on: February 22, 2017, 03:32:42 AM »
I remember when BTFW first came out, I listened to it and it was immediately blatantly obvious that the orchestra part in IT was pasted in from DT12. They guy who was the conductor of the orchestra (Eren Basbug) was lurking on DTF and answered a bunch of questions, but AFAIR he avoided that one. Then I remember someone saying that they kept the live track and added the DT12 track on top of it to make it sound fuller. But what's the point?

I suspect there were issues with the recording of the orchestra and choir, and they had to improvise with what they had. The orchestral section of IT is 75-90% the studio track, with a hint of the live audio in places, but my guess is the recording quality wasn't good enough to mix more prominently than that. In many other parts the choir and orchestra sounded 100% synth to me. Based on that, I trust that they made the best decision they could under the circumstances.
And Score had its own issues with the orchestra, including lack of sufficient practice for the material, and tuning problems.

TA includes more orchestra than either of those concerts, so with that in mind, it may be too risky to attempt. Even with as much orchestra as the album has, I don't think it's an essential part of the presentation of the album live.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #381 on: February 22, 2017, 03:41:08 AM »
Listening to Score, I cannot fathom how can a professional orchestra sound that out of tune. Like the bald guy in Whiplash, I find it more likely that they deliberately played out of tune to sabotage the performance, rather than simply screwing up. :biggrin:

Edit: talking about out of tune, can anyone top this Roger Glover bass solo? https://youtu.be/tbYj71g1QQQ?t=3m28s
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 03:57:03 AM by Sycsa »

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #382 on: February 22, 2017, 10:52:35 AM »
I think Score and BTFW are both awesome concert dvds and never had an issue with the Orchestra. Love IT on the BTFW dvd and the Score version of Metropolis Pt 1 is my favourite version of that song.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #383 on: February 22, 2017, 12:20:58 PM »
I think Score and BTFW are both awesome concert dvds and never had an issue with the Orchestra. Love IT on the BTFW dvd and the Score version of Metropolis Pt 1 is my favourite version of that song.

Yes, they're both great shows/Dvds.. I don't think they're saying that because of the issues with the orchestra they don't like them.. Or I hope so, because that would be ridiculous.. The important thing is the DT guys' playing..

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #384 on: February 22, 2017, 01:59:56 PM »
I definitely like Score, yeah. I'm solely saying live orchestras haven't worked for them, so they should stay away from them in the future.