Author Topic: Blu Ray / DVD of The Astonishing tour  (Read 56486 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: Blu Ray / DVD of The Astonishing tour
« Reply #315 on: February 01, 2017, 10:45:50 PM »
I'm thinking if MP was still in the band, instead of Binge And Purge, the could call it Balls And Chunk.
Close. Ass and Balls.   :biggrin:

Ass!  :lol

Sig'd
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #316 on: February 03, 2017, 06:57:46 PM »
 :tup

After 12+ years and 19k+ posts, that's the first time I've been sig'd!

Man do I suck! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #317 on: February 03, 2017, 07:29:48 PM »
Hey, maybe you'll feel better if I sig'd you again.  :hat
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #318 on: February 03, 2017, 07:33:10 PM »
 :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #319 on: February 03, 2017, 07:43:04 PM »
I think you should switch the order of the two quotes. Like that it would make an actual sentence if you read them in one go.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #320 on: February 03, 2017, 07:48:59 PM »
 :lol

Sounds like the title of Winger's new album!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #321 on: February 03, 2017, 07:55:55 PM »
Of the title of Michael Bolton's autobiography.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #322 on: February 16, 2017, 08:13:37 AM »
I'm thinking if MP was still in the band, instead of Binge And Purge, the could call it Balls And Chunk.
Close. Ass and Balls.   :biggrin:

Ass!  :lol

That would be the Best. Cover art.  Ever.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #323 on: February 16, 2017, 08:29:52 AM »

I'm calling it now: They want to keep all the fans happy/willing to spend money, so instead of just releasing an Astonishing blu ray, they're recording an I&W set to go with it. They'll package it together as 'Astonishing Images' or some shit. 'Dream Theater playing their newest album and also one of their oldest'. That way, even the people who didn't like TA will buy it for I&W, and maybe they'll change their minds about TA after seeing the visual experience that goes with it.

/wishful thinking

I agree with this. I think it'd be a shame if The Astonishing didn't get a full-on live release on blu-ray. I mean, it's JP's baby. But financially, to make it work, there needs to be a selling point, given how TA really did not work for a chunk of the usual fan base (myself included). I wouldn't buy a TA blu-ray, but I would buy it if the I&W 25th Anniversary tour (complete with ACOS encore) was included. So I'm an example of the type of fan they have to appeal to, in order to probably make it work, financially.

The problem I see, however, is that it would have to be a big release, content-wise. For those familiar -- a blu-ray release of just The Astonishing performance...can that fit on one blu-ray disc, or do they need two? I am assuming the latter. And the I&W 25th tour...it depends...if they are including the whole concert, that's probably another two blu-rays. Perhaps if they only included the I&W performance and ACOS, it could fit on one blu-ray? So that's 3 blu-rays. They'd probably make the CDs separate, and the CDs would probably be a 4 CD set.

Overall, that's a lot of stuff to release in order to make it attractive to buyers and worth the label's time and investment. And sadly it would probably have to be ridiculously expensive. I can see the blu-ray package easily being around $69.99, and the CD package being $29.99. So $100 retail. That's a big investment by fans.

But I only see it working if I&W and ACOS is a major selling point. And ACOS...it has been released live before in its entirety (Live Scenes from New York), so it might not even be a draw for some folks (that performance of it was a bit more solid than I have seen on YouTube from the current lineup).

Thoughts?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #324 on: February 16, 2017, 08:36:42 AM »

I'm calling it now: They want to keep all the fans happy/willing to spend money, so instead of just releasing an Astonishing blu ray, they're recording an I&W set to go with it. They'll package it together as 'Astonishing Images' or some shit. 'Dream Theater playing their newest album and also one of their oldest'. That way, even the people who didn't like TA will buy it for I&W, and maybe they'll change their minds about TA after seeing the visual experience that goes with it.

/wishful thinking

The problem I see, however, is that it would have to be a big release, content-wise. For those familiar -- a blu-ray release of just The Astonishing performance...can that fit on one blu-ray disc, or do they need two? I am assuming the latter. And the I&W 25th tour...it depends...if they are including the whole concert, that's probably another two blu-rays. Perhaps if they only included the I&W performance and ACOS, it could fit on one blu-ray? So that's 3 blu-rays. They'd probably make the CDs separate, and the CDs would probably be a 4 CD set.

If Avatar in 3D can fit on a single disc at 2:40:00 long, I'd image The Astonishing wouldn't be an issue.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:43:35 AM by Chino »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: February 16, 2017, 08:46:01 AM »
Yes, it would fit on one disc.  All of the DT blu-rays have had the concert on one disc.  If it was going to be two full concerts, then two discs though like Nightwish just did.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: February 16, 2017, 09:15:26 AM »
Thanks Chino and Cramx. Well, then I think it wouldn't be as expensive, potentially.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #327 on: February 16, 2017, 09:42:55 AM »
Please God let there be a release called "Astonishing Images". :lol :metal
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #328 on: February 16, 2017, 09:56:36 AM »
I'm confused. I thought it was established by JP himself during the Q&A that there was not, and won't be, a TA recording.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: February 16, 2017, 10:25:24 AM »
I'm confused. I thought it was established by JP himself during the Q&A that there was not, and won't be, a TA recording.

Rumbo -- some of us don't have the time or inclination to keep up on everything every member of the band says.  ;) :P

I had no idea. I saw the thread title, and saw a quote a couple pages back I thought was interesting, and replied to it. So if it is the case that JP has already definitively stated there will be no live TA release, then I apologize. Perhaps then, as a suggestion, you could quote JP in another post, right after this, and lock the thread, to avoid future comments, if those aren't appropriate any longer?  :)

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #330 on: February 16, 2017, 10:31:34 AM »

I've come to terms with the fact that John regularly eats magic mushrooms and was on them when he answered that question.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: February 16, 2017, 10:58:59 AM »

I've come to terms with the fact that John regularly eats magic mushrooms and was on them when he answered that question.

I didn't realize he put this to bed although that seemed very likely.  Sucks.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #332 on: February 16, 2017, 11:17:44 AM »
IIRC somebody asked JP the question at the Paris Q&A. The answer was essentially "didn't happen so far, and won't in the next 5 years. But never say never."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #333 on: February 16, 2017, 02:58:27 PM »
The 5 years thing was actually said by Jordan on another Q&A posted by fellow DTF member The Keyboard Wizard. What JP said was something like "We haven't recorded it. Live albums/releases don't sell as much now as they used to. We probably won't do it".

You can see/hear it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQKvNg9JWH8
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #334 on: February 16, 2017, 06:07:44 PM »
I can confirm and I was in the room when the question was answered and I'm pretty sure that Rudess told us "5 years"  to give us hope. But he was not pretty convinced himself. I'm pretty sure that they were so disappointed by the reactions towards The Astonishing and maybe disgusted. So be prepared to get a new record that will sound like DT12 and ADTOE, with zero risks.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #335 on: February 17, 2017, 08:29:06 AM »
I can confirm and I was in the room when the question was answered and I'm pretty sure that Rudess told us "5 years"  to give us hope. But he was not pretty convinced himself. I'm pretty sure that they were so disappointed by the reactions towards The Astonishing and maybe disgusted. So be prepared to get a new record that will sound like DT12 and ADTOE, with zero risks.

I think the live TA release is definitely not happening now. Agree on the 5 years thing, it was only to say something to give hope for the fans at that moment. I guess we'll have to wait a couple years to see how they see the whole thing in retrospect. However, they, specially JP and JR, seem to be very proud of the work they did on TA.

Also, I don't really think the album was "bad" received, just not as well received as the other two, which isn't necesarily a bad thing, it just shows they took more risks with this one. However, if they end up making an album similar to ADTOE or DT12, I don't really see any downside to that, since I think the Mangini era albums are much better than the albums from TOT to BC&SL  :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #336 on: February 17, 2017, 09:07:14 AM »
I will be bummed if there isn't a DVD. It was a great concert and to have no record of it ( and no bootlegs either) is something I think will be missed years down the road.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: February 17, 2017, 09:10:45 AM »
I will be bummed if there isn't a DVD. It was a great concert and to have no record of it ( and no bootlegs either) is something I think will be missed years down the road.

It will go down as the lost tour similar to Iron Maiden's Somewhere in Time.  An album that was seen as a letdown at the time, but over time became a pretty big fan favorite and all we have is a couple shitty bootlegs and those songs were never performed again (besides Wasted Years).  Such a shame.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #338 on: February 17, 2017, 09:45:47 AM »

It will go down as the lost tour similar to Iron Maiden's Somewhere in Time.  An album that was seen as a letdown at the time, but over time became a pretty big fan favorite and all we have is a couple shitty bootlegs and those songs were never performed again (besides Wasted Years).  Such a shame.

I imagine that DT was smart enough to at least capture the audio of a few shows. If a legit release isn't in the future, hopefully they'll release it as an unofficial bootleg or something.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #339 on: February 18, 2017, 04:10:38 PM »
Didn't they capture the shows in Italy by the very start of the tour for the Our New World clip? Who knows if they recorded more videos like that?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #340 on: February 18, 2017, 04:21:28 PM »
I got the impression that the ONW video was mostly rehearsal footage (for which they could do close-ups), supplemented with a few live shots of the show later. I don't think they shot anything more of that show.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: February 18, 2017, 05:40:11 PM »

Also, I don't really think the album was "bad" received, just not as well received as the other two, which isn't necesarily a bad thing, it just shows they took more risks with this one. However, if they end up making an album similar to ADTOE or DT12, I don't really see any downside to that, since I think the Mangini era albums are much better than the albums from TOT to BC&SL  :biggrin:

I think A Dramatic Turn of Events is a more consistent album than Systematic Chaos and DT12 has good songs but is overcooked in the production and has THAT snare sound. I think it might be better

than Black Clouds though.

DT12 with The Astonishing's production would have been amazing.

The Astonishing is my favourite of the mangini albums. But not the RR era.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #342 on: February 19, 2017, 03:07:56 PM »

I think A Dramatic Turn of Events is a more consistent album than Systematic Chaos and DT12 has good songs but is overcooked in the production and has THAT snare sound. I think it might be better

than Black Clouds though.

DT12 with The Astonishing's production would have been amazing.

The Astonishing is my favourite of the mangini albums. But not the RR era.

I really don't mind the production or snare sound on DT12, and it does have some great songs/moments. Not one of their best albums but still pretty good. The bass tone/bass mix on that album is one of the best of their whole discography imo.
On the other hand, I think Black Clouds is one of the worst albums they have ever done (not saying it's bad, just worse by DT standards).

I really like SC and think it's waaay underrated in general. 8V and TOT? Excepting for a few songs/sections here and there, meh.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #343 on: February 20, 2017, 07:04:59 AM »
Yeah, very strange decision for me not to do a live Blu-ray for The Astonishing when they have made such a big deal of the album with computer games and a novel in the works.  Would have thought a Blu-ray would sell better than the novel will.

I was really expecting the full works with an orchestra, bag pipe player and everything in The Royal Albert Hall or somewhere similar.  I know it costs money to do but you're making money doing the show anyway and there are still a number of rabid fans who would buy this, some completists would buy it even if they don't like TA.  If Neal Morse can release live blu-rays of his Morsefest thing then not sure why it is not viable for DT.  I just think they have had problems with the last 2 live releases, especially Luna Park and maybe Petrucci can't be bothered with the hassle this time of finding a company to do all this.

TA is not my favourite DT album or my favourite live show I've been to but I was looking forward to watching this at home and seeing all the animations and stuff again.  It was a historic tour in that they were performing the entirety of their first ever 2 disc concept album, probably never to be performed again and strange not to have anything to document it.

Don't usually like playing this game but am almost certain we would be getting a live release of this if MP was still running the show although we would likely have got a very different album of course!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #344 on: February 20, 2017, 07:39:45 AM »
  If Neal Morse can release live blu-rays of his Morsefest thing then not sure why it is not viable for DT.

This is also the year 2017. It doesn't need to be a Blu-ray double-disc with laminated inlay and themed USB stick. Steven Wilson did a live streaming of one of his concerts, and you could (I believe) download it later.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #345 on: February 20, 2017, 10:59:28 AM »
I don't like that everything is turning to live stream availability only. I would rather have the packaged blu-ray in my hands and be able to watch it on the big screen tv and stereo, not on a computer desk and moniter..
 I think Iron Maiden has the Book of Souls tour documented at some European festival for streaming, but not available for dvd. I missed the BOS tour last spring, would have been nice to get it on DVD/ blu-ray.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #346 on: February 20, 2017, 11:17:24 AM »
I don't like that everything is turning to live stream availability only. I would rather have the packaged blu-ray in my hands and be able to watch it on the big screen tv and stereo, not on a computer desk and moniter..
 I think Iron Maiden has the Book of Souls tour documented at some European festival for streaming, but not available for dvd. I missed the BOS tour last spring, would have been nice to get it on DVD/ blu-ray.
Some of us still like the feeling of getting out there and buying a CD or a movie, but the reality is that people don't do that anymore. Why bother going out if you can just stream it right from home? I can only imagine that recording something in Blu-Ray quality is expensive, and for a band that DT that doesn't have Justin Bieber-level sales it can turn out to be a bad financial decision.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #347 on: February 20, 2017, 11:33:46 AM »
Some of us still like the feeling of getting out there and buying a CD or a movie, but the reality is that people don't do that anymore. Why bother going out if you can just stream it right from home? I can only imagine that recording something in Blu-Ray quality is expensive, and for a band that DT that doesn't have Justin Bieber-level sales it can turn out to be a bad financial decision.

A youtube channel and a venue with a robust internet connection is all they need. They could live any concert for no more than the equipment required to do so.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #348 on: February 20, 2017, 11:39:17 AM »
They would sacrifice the quality by doing it that way. No post production, mixing, or editing. If it all turns to this, it will force everyone to have internet which is another bill to pay. I just have the limited data plan on my phone. Streaming videos eats it up in no time..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #349 on: February 20, 2017, 11:53:49 AM »
They would sacrifice the quality by doing it that way. No post production, mixing, or editing. If it all turns to this, it will force everyone to have internet which is another bill to pay. I just have the limited data plan on my phone. Streaming videos eats it up in no time..

I'll take online streams over nothing at all, especially if it's no additional cost to me. Many bands already do this. They wouldn't even need to live stream them. Set up one camera and record the show. All the audio is running through the board anyway. Just capture it and upload to Youtube later. It's better than nothing. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather buy an official quality release, but as things stand right now, I'd rather an official bootleg of The Astonishing over no Astonishing.

I don't really know what to say about the internet thing... It's 2017. I'm sure there's a reason why you don't have internet, and whatever that reason is sucks, but you are in a very small, almost non-existent minority.