Author Topic: Blu Ray / DVD of The Astonishing tour  (Read 56466 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Blu Ray / DVD of The Astonishing tour
« Reply #280 on: January 24, 2017, 08:18:18 AM »
I somewhat doubt JP has as much nostalgia for his Ibanez as we do :lol

I know, but would be very very cool to see. I always wondered why he ditched that finish when he made the swith to MM. His first MM model was very basic looking, while the Ibanez was perfect. Maybe something to do with the design rights?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jsbru

« Reply #281 on: January 24, 2017, 11:47:45 AM »
IMO, the Ibanezes still play a lot better than the EBMM.  I'd take a top-level Ibanez Prestige over the EB guitar any day.  The EBMM does have a little bit meatier tone, but it comes at the sacrifice of playability.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #282 on: January 24, 2017, 11:56:18 AM »
IMO, the Ibanezes still play a lot better than the EBMM.  I'd take a top-level Ibanez Prestige over the EB guitar any day.  The EBMM does have a little bit meatier tone, but it comes at the sacrifice of playability.

I guess it comes down to the player. I own a few Ibanezes (though admittedly not a prestige) and four EBMMs (the earlier models) and the EBMMs are the most playable guitars I have.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jsbru

« Reply #283 on: January 24, 2017, 12:42:10 PM »
I guess it comes down to the player. I own a few Ibanezes (though admittedly not a prestige) and four EBMMs (the earlier models) and the EBMMs are the most playable guitars I have.

The difference between a Prestige and a normal Ibanez is substantial.  Even the difference between a Prestige and the new Premium line is substantial.  IMO, RG Prestige are the best guitars money can buy.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #284 on: January 25, 2017, 09:46:19 AM »

That is awesome! I like the other JP models just as much. However I think PRS makes the prettiest guitars in existence.

Have you heard of Kiesel? They're killing it on the market right now. Much better quality, sound and looks than most stuff out there at a very reasonable price.
[/quote]

Yes, Kiesel and Carvin guitars are awesome!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #285 on: January 25, 2017, 12:00:22 PM »
I know, but would be very very cool to see. I always wondered why he ditched that finish when he made the swith to MM. His first MM model was very basic looking, while the Ibanez was perfect. Maybe something to do with the design rights?
I don't think so - pretty sure that he attached no personal special meaning to the picasso design. In fact, if it was something he actually liked, I imagine that it would've carried over to the EB/MM guitars, or at least something similar.

IIRC, it was a random design that was on the guitar he picked and he became associated with it. It wasn't something that he specifically chose or designed when he started using Ibanez guitars.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #286 on: January 25, 2017, 12:51:44 PM »
I have a Music Man JP6  and 2 Ibanez, the Steve Vai and the Andy Timmos models.

I prefer the Ibanezs, but that just me, I can´t say one brand is better than the other. The top guitars of both brands are superb.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #287 on: January 26, 2017, 09:03:55 AM »
I don't think so - pretty sure that he attached no personal special meaning to the picasso design. In fact, if it was something he actually liked, I imagine that it would've carried over to the EB/MM guitars, or at least something similar.

IIRC, it was a random design that was on the guitar he picked and he became associated with it. It wasn't something that he specifically chose or designed when he started using Ibanez guitars.

I can't believe it's been so many years and nobody (that we know of) has asked him about that design on any interview, etc.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #288 on: January 26, 2017, 09:11:31 AM »

I can't believe it's been so many years and nobody (that we know of) has asked him about that design on any interview, etc.

I don't think most people have ascribed any particular significance to it, so that's probably why.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #289 on: January 26, 2017, 09:21:18 AM »

I don't think most people have ascribed any particular significance to it, so that's probably why.
Well it was definitely a talking point when he first moved to the EB/MM guitars since he had been associated with the picasso design. I'm sure someone could probably dig up an interview where it's addressed, but after 16 or so years, it's not an issue any longer. From what little I can recall, when I asked him about it, I think he said that he was just moving on. It was funny to see his reaction when I showed him this photo:

Something I photoshopped - freaked him out a bit!  :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #290 on: January 26, 2017, 09:23:39 AM »
:lol  Well, what I meant was, along the lines of what you had previously posted, I never got the sense that he was emotionally invested in that particular artwork in the long-term. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #291 on: January 26, 2017, 09:34:26 AM »
Well it was definitely a talking point when he first moved to the EB/MM guitars since he had been associated with the picasso design. I'm sure someone could probably dig up an interview where it's addressed, but after 16 or so years, it's not an issue any longer. From what little I can recall, when I asked him about it, I think he said that he was just moving on. It was funny to see his reaction when I showed him this photo:

:lol that's amazing! I can only imagine his "what the..." face after seeing this

Offline PetFish

« Reply #292 on: January 26, 2017, 03:46:22 PM »
Nice, Scotty, I was just about to do something like this but glad you already had it done.  It actually looks really cool.

:hefdaddy  :hefdaddy  :hefdaddy  :hefdaddy  :hefdaddy

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #293 on: January 26, 2017, 06:05:33 PM »

The 7-string is supposed to be the black and white design.  :biggrin:  :P

That's awesome!  :tup
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #294 on: January 30, 2017, 03:29:36 AM »
I wouldn't trade my JP12 for 3 prestige ibbies, but that's only personnal taste and confort !
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: January 30, 2017, 05:01:39 AM »
I dunno. It looks like it belongs in a reggae band.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #296 on: January 31, 2017, 01:31:03 AM »
Well, he's already got the beard. How 'bout some dreads, John?  :rollin
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #297 on: January 31, 2017, 07:24:28 AM »
Random thought: What would people's thoughts be on an Astonishing/I&W Anniversary video?

I think that I would prefer a recording of just The Astonishing, but I wouldn't complain if they played a special show where the first set was an hour of Astonishing material and then the second set was I&W plus the encore. Could be fun.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: January 31, 2017, 07:28:21 AM »
Random thought: What would people's thoughts be on an Astonishing/I&W Anniversary video?

I think that I would prefer a recording of just The Astonishing, but I wouldn't complain if they played a special show where the first set was an hour of Astonishing material and then the second set was I&W plus the encore. Could be fun.

I'd be cool with it, granted for a DVD I'd love to have the whole TA.  Iron Maiden did something similar, they toured playing all of A Matter of Life and Death and then after did shows where it was split AMoLaD and The Number of the Beast as it was the 25th anniversary of that album.  Rumor was they recorded the Donnington show for DVD release but it was a poor performance so it never saw the light of day and therefore we as fans never got a DVD of the songs from that album.  Sounds familiar.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #299 on: January 31, 2017, 08:09:52 AM »

I'd be cool with it, granted for a DVD I'd love to have the whole TA.  Iron Maiden did something similar, they toured playing all of A Matter of Life and Death and then after did shows where it was split AMoLaD and The Number of the Beast as it was the 25th anniversary of that album.  Rumor was they recorded the Donnington show for DVD release but it was a poor performance so it never saw the light of day and therefore we as fans never got a DVD of the songs from that album.  Sounds familiar.

I love Images and Words, but I'll be fucking livid if we get a gutted live version of The Astonishing because they decided to make it a combo performance featuring live versions of songs that are all already on DVD's. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 08:20:39 AM by Chino »

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #300 on: January 31, 2017, 08:16:05 AM »

I'd be cool with it, granted for a DVD I'd love to have the whole TA.

Yeah, it should be the whole album..

The thing is, if they're doing that, it would take three! hours of show (2 hours and 10 minutes of TA and 1 hour of I&W -counting the extended version of TtT-, although it'll sure be even more than that, having in consideration the breaks, the spaces between songs, and other fragments they could add -as the ANB's ending or the drum solo)..

But, they can always do something similar of what they've done in LALP: playing some songs in one night, and the others a second night in the same place... That way other songs can be included too.. It' be a shame if they actually film a DVD and TBP, HK or ACoS, to say only those, are not somewhere in there..

I love Images and Words, but I'll be fucking livid if we get a gutted live version of The Astonishing because they decided to make it combo performance featuring live versions of songs that are all already on DVD's. 

Yeah, DT, keep playing the same oldy songs over and over again and make plenty of DVDs with them instead of doing that with the new material, because we, your lovely fans want it that way.. We don't care if you just want to do it... what, only because the songs were made by you and you think it's the right choice?.. ;)
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #301 on: January 31, 2017, 07:59:06 PM »
My guess if they ever make a DVD of TA, it will be a one-off perhaps with David Campbell conducting the orchestra and choir. That seems the logical and appropriate thing to do if they make a big production out of it. Maybe thats what they wanted to do all along but couldn't get the scheduling to line up..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #302 on: January 31, 2017, 08:30:08 PM »
I think what would be cool is if they were to do something like what Metallica did with their Binge and Purge box set. Maybe DT could film a TA show, and include a full show from Images, Words and Beyond, as well as a full show from their mini-30th anniversary tour in the deluxe package. I think that would be a cost effective compromise that would be a winner with fans, and it should be a big enough seller. For those not big on TA, they'd still get two other complete shows covering various songs from their catalog.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #303 on: January 31, 2017, 08:43:02 PM »
I think what would be cool is if they were to do something like what Metallica did with their Binge and Purge box set. Maybe DT could film a TA show, and include a full show from Images, Words and Beyond, as well as a full show from their mini-30th anniversary tour in the deluxe package. I think that would be a cost effective compromise that would be a winner with fans, and it should be a big enough seller. For those not big on TA, they'd still get two other complete shows covering various songs from their catalog.

That'd be awesome. I'd buy it. :D
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: January 31, 2017, 09:17:46 PM »
I want The Astonishing BluRay, I couldn't see them on the tour so I'd love to have it.
If they don't think it will sell cause the tour didn't do so well then I hope they release it as an official bootleg.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #305 on: January 31, 2017, 09:43:09 PM »

That would be cool...if they have a second drum kit rise up from under the stage, and James and Mike have a drum-off.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #306 on: February 01, 2017, 01:06:15 AM »

That would be cool...if they have a second drum kit rise up from under the stage, and James and Mike have a drum-off.
Ha-ha, I was at that show in Seattle on the Black Album tour. Great concert!!!   :metal
Better yet, if the drum kit rises up from under the stage,, it would be a drum-off with MM and MP..  That would be something of epic proportions that will never happen.....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: February 01, 2017, 07:12:50 AM »

take my money

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #308 on: February 01, 2017, 07:54:57 AM »
Hell yes, take mine as well!

I'm thinking if MP was still in the band, instead of Binge And Purge, the could call it Balls And Chunk.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #309 on: February 01, 2017, 08:16:53 AM »
Hell yes, take mine as well!

I'm thinking if MP was still in the band, instead of Binge And Purge, the could call it Balls And Chunk.

:lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #310 on: February 01, 2017, 09:38:18 AM »

take my money
Same
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #311 on: February 01, 2017, 10:04:56 AM »
Close. Ass and Balls.   :biggrin:

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #312 on: February 01, 2017, 10:46:42 AM »

take my money
Same
That would be awesome!  Take my money too.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #313 on: February 01, 2017, 07:05:25 PM »
Very good idea! They would sell alot of copies.. :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #314 on: February 01, 2017, 07:06:52 PM »
Close. Ass and Balls.   :biggrin:

Ass!  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol