Poll

Which prog-influenced pop rock record do you prefer?

Asia - Asia
19 (48.7%)
Yes - 90125
20 (51.3%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: August 14, 2022, 07:00:36 PM

Author Topic: Asia vs 90125  (Read 2538 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Asia vs 90125
« on: November 01, 2016, 07:00:36 PM »
Close call, but I think I slightly prefer the Asia record. Both are fantastic.  :coolio

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Asia vs 90125
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 07:01:48 PM »
Why don't you ask me what your favorite child is Kev! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 07:06:01 PM »
Easy for me. I vote for the one that doesn't have John Anderson.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 07:10:13 PM »
So of the 3 people who have posted in this thread, I'm the only one who has voted?? Let's go pussies! Pick a side!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 07:10:34 PM »

John Anderson isn't on either of these albums. ;)

Why don't you ask me what your favorite child is Kev! :lol

That doesn't answer the posed question. :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 07:18:34 PM »
Let me play them a thousand times more and still be on the fence.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bundy

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 03:21:45 AM »
Asia - Hands down
While 90125 has some terrific tracks, I prefer Howe over Rabin and of two albums I far prefer Mike Stone's production to Trevor Horn. As far as Horn produced albums go, I'l take Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Welcome to the Pleasure Dome or ABC's Lexicon of Love over 90125 every day.

For what it's worth though I prefer Asia's follow up, Alpha over both the debut and 90125. If I ever do my top 50 (albums I have sorted, just haven't done any write-ups) my ranking of Alpha will probably surprise anyone who might be interested in following my list. Not sure if it's even been mentioned in anybody's top 50 yet.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 07:16:04 AM »
Asia easily.  Not a fan of Trevor Rabin era Yes. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 07:29:06 AM »
90125 for me
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 07:54:16 AM »
Goddammit TAC
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 08:05:03 AM »
This is like choosing one of my balls.

Both are excellent, both have great memories, both are the sort of "first evidence" of a spanking new lineup of tried and true musicians, and both, as much as I love them, I love the follow-up even better (big fan of both Alpha and Big Penetrator). 

If forced, at gunpoint, I would take Asia.   I literally love EVERY song on that record, and while Sole Survivor and Heat of the Moment have a little edge, the rest of the album is almost perfect.  Side two is one of the best album sides I own, and the whole record itself is in my top ten all time.   90120 is also strong, but with the novelty "Leave It" and the relatively weak "City of Love" it loses by a hair.  But the highs are very high (the single I love, and "Hearts" on the first leg of that tour, with the lasers (which were retired after that leg), was something I've never seen before or since (The Firm was close) and that I'll never forget. 

Offline T-ski

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 03:35:39 PM »
I have to go with Asia just because I heard it first.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 03:37:53 PM »

John Anderson isn't on either of these albums. ;)

Jon Anderson IS on 90125.    I like both albums. I like 90125 more and I like Trevor Rabin more than Steve Howe..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 03:49:10 PM »
Pretty sure Kev knows that. He's just being a smart ass correcting my spelling of Jon. That's why the h is bolded.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 04:49:26 PM »
Pretty sure Kev knows that. He's just being a smart ass correcting my spelling of Jon. That's why the h is bolded.

Me, being a smart ass?? The hell you say. :biggrin:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 04:59:46 PM »
Asia. Love that album. 90125 I can do without.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 05:27:01 PM »

Never!   Also, I'm still on the fence. :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 05:29:46 PM »
I would have to go with Asia.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 11:36:54 PM »
Went with Asia, though it was tight. I don't listen to much Yes anymore, though 90125 is my favorite of their Rabin-era albums, and it's pretty damn strong, but Asia's debut has an all-star band, and while it's not overtly proggy, they've got the chops and skills. The duo of Howe and Downes really shines on the album, and Wetton's voice is always pleasing to me, and Carl Palmer's drumming was always top-notch.

Now if I had to pick between Asia's first three albums and the 3 Rabin-era Yes albums, I'd probably still go with Asia.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bundy

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2016, 04:43:01 AM »

Now if I had to pick between Asia's first three albums and the 3 Rabin-era Yes albums, I'd probably still go with Asia.

-Marc.

I would definitely go with the Asia albums - not even close. Really enjoy Astra as well as the first two.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2016, 05:00:22 AM »
Interesting that almost all of the people who post here prefer Asia, but looking at the votes as of now we have a tie. Is liking 90125 a guilty pleasure that no one wants to admit openly?  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2016, 05:58:04 AM »
For me they are both so strong.  As a matter of fact (Damn you Kev) I'm listening them on the office right now.  I started with Asia.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2016, 06:35:50 AM »
BTW, I have a 20 bit Japanese remaster of 90125 with an extra song Make It Easy & It's Over.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2016, 10:44:51 AM »
Anyone going to see the Anderson Rabin Wakeman tour at this time?? I'm going to the Seattle show Nov 30th. I hope they play something from the TALK album, Endless Dream being the main focus!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2016, 11:00:40 AM »
90125 by far. One of my favorite albums ever. Pure magic. Pop Prog at its best.
If they had kept the original band name Cinema, I guess, a lot of older Yes fans wouldn't be that critical with the album.

and YES, Architeuthis, I'm gonna see them next year in Europe. It'll be the last gig of the tour. Last gigs often have something special.
Right now the setlist is playing it very safe. I hope they change it around a bit. I'd be extremely dissapointed, if they don't play Endless Dream.

I've heard Jon Anderson is back in fine form with his voice. That hasn't been the case in the last 10 years, so i wish you much fun in Seattle.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2016, 12:39:55 PM »
SOOUUULLLLL SURVIVORRRR

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2016, 02:34:43 PM »
Thanks Lepprador!  I hope you have a great time at the show too. Endless Dream would be epic!! I saw them play that on the TALK Tour in 1994 at the Gorge amphitheater in Washington state. Probably the best moment ever for me at a concert. Thhere was an amazing sunset behind the stage during that song. Better than any light show..

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2016, 07:14:20 PM »
BTW, I have a 20 bit Japanese remaster of 90125 with an extra song Make It Easy & It's Over.

I remember getting Make It Easy on the re-release of it a few years ago  I liked it a lot at first because, hey, it was a Rabin-era song I had never heard, but it wore off me pretty quickly.  It's a decent song, but nothing special.

For me they are both so strong.  As a matter of fact (Damn you Kev) I'm listening them on the office right now.  I started with Asia.

:hat

Interesting that almost all of the people who post here prefer Asia, but looking at the votes as of now we have a tie. Is liking 90125 a guilty pleasure that no one wants to admit openly?  ;D

It could be that 90125 has been talked about ad nauseam over the years in the various Yes threads, while Asia rarely gets talked about.  Just a guess.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2016, 07:36:16 PM »

Never!   Also, I'm still on the fence. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2016, 08:00:59 PM »
 :lol

Truth be told 90125 wins by Tim's IQ(Leaves door open)  Both are top 50 albums for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2016, 08:07:41 PM »
At least you didn't call it 90210 again! :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2016, 08:34:58 PM »
It's Dylan.   He's dreamy.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2016, 10:57:41 AM »
Almost like choosing a favorite Rush album.  Almost.....

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2016, 11:42:27 AM »
90125 by a long shot.
One of my fave albums of all time, an absolute classic.
Never been into 1970's Yes and it's because I am not a fan of Howe's guitar sound or his style of playing.
Much refer the Rabin era, his style, his sound, amazing.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2016, 12:02:34 PM »
Mostly indifferent on both, but 90215 has its moments.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods