Author Topic: Listened to DT12 after a quite some time and these are my impressions:  (Read 10274 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
I listened to the album earlier today after a year and a half or so of not listening it at all and these are my thoughts:

1) The drum mix is so bad. I mean, I know this is a recurrent theme, but holy crap they sound SO much better in The Astonishing. They're not still at the good-Portnoy sounding level, but come on. There were times in which I could only focus on the snare, and that sucks because it didn't let me enjoy the rest of the things happening in the song.

2) Illumination Theory is probably the best song they've done in their post Portnoy years, and thank the heavens for the Breaking the Fourth Wall version (just because of the better mix). The ending is so amazing and epic, but the album version sounds flat as hell. I can only hear the overpowering snare, Petrucci's low 7-string chords and JLB's chorus modified vocals. Where are my amazing Jordan keyboard sounds? I know he did some massive keyboard layering in that part, and it's practically non-existent in the mix. It sounds kind of artificial in a way, which is something that thankfully was corrected in BTFW.

3) The Bigger Picture is incredible, but once again it suffers of a bad mix. What could've been a top 20 song in my book ended up not cracking that list because of the overpowering guitars and drums. You could really hear the effect of the massive compression at the beginning, and that's not something I enjoy a lot.

4) Surrender to Reason is very underrated. The melodies in the chorus are great, and the middle part is quite enjoyable. Lots of people accuse DT12 of being a flat, generic and boring album; but songs like Surrender to Reason really stand out for being different in my book (and, for what it's worth, I think it's one of the better-mixed songs in the record).

5) False Awakening Suite would've sounded much more epic and incredible with the live orchestra/choir treatment The Astonishing had. Also, it's weird hearing the chocolate cake guitars at full steam all the time with some of Jordan's keyboards buried when they're supposed to be the most important elements in the song.

6) Someone just posted in another thread that Dream Theater is a fitting title for this album because it's kind of flat in its purpose, and I agree wholeheartedly. With a better mix, it would've been a nice collection of songs that should've been nice as introduction for new fans; but if someone asked to me to introduce them to Dream Theater I would beg them to stay away from DT12 until they've already checked out everything else. Kind of ironic, isn't it?

Throw away your comments, good folk.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Listened to DT12 after a quite some time and these are my impressions:
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 11:29:10 AM »
There are a few songs on this album that I do enjoy musically (The Bigger Picture being the best one), but as you said, the production is so bad that I can't listen to any of it. I'm actually serious. While I don't like The Astonishing I can still listen to it sometimes because I think it's funny, but with DT12 I get actually upset when I hear it, purely because of the production. I haven't heard a full DT12 song in years because of this.

EDIT: Also, just looked up the BtFW version of Illumination Theory for the first time. Wow, that was a different experience. Still not a favorite by any means, but just so much better here.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 11:48:15 AM by BlackInk »

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 12:08:13 PM »
Awesome post! I really enjoy DT12, but I even I have to admit that the mix kind of stinks. Thankfully, TA sounds terrific, but it's a pity that DT12 gets dragged down a bit by its sound.

Anyhow, I think that most of the songs on the album are really good, and I'd rank it high in the DT discography.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 01:52:27 PM »
I'm not sure what you guys are listening to the album on, but I don't hear what you are hearing.  I can't say the mix is the best I have heard.  But, honestly, it isn't so bad that it has ever even registered on my mind to pay attention to the mix at all.  I mean, as in, I have never even given the mix a second thought. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 02:17:22 PM »
Kind of agree with the OP. I was so bummed with the production, i still like some songs and the BTFW versions were such an improvement.
Honestly, i think the production is up there with WDADU for the worst sounding DT album award.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 02:23:40 PM »
Kind of agree with the OP. I was so bummed with the production, i still like some songs and the BTFW versions were such an improvement.
Honestly, i think the production is up there with WDADU for the worst sounding DT album award.

Hmmm, no! Not even close.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 02:36:15 PM »
I don't really have any problems with it. It's by far my favorite album from the band since Train of Thought. And although I think I can understand why someone might have problems with the production (like the snare drum and the overall loudness), I don't have any problems with it. I actually think that it works well for that album. I'm not sure if it would work as well on an album like The Astonishing or Octavarium though.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 03:14:21 PM »
I'm not sure what you guys are listening to the album on, but I don't hear what you are hearing.  I can't say the mix is the best I have heard.  But, honestly, it isn't so bad that it has ever even registered on my mind to pay attention to the mix at all.  I mean, as in, I have never even given the mix a second thought.

The mix is so unmusical to my ears. Parts that are supposed to be subtle and quiet are loud and in your face, Jordan Rudess is painfully buried in parts of songs where he is supposed to shine (and this is easy to compare with the BTFW versions of the songs) and the whole balance of instruments feels weird constantly. Just compare the whole listening experience of SFAM (mix-wise) to DT12 and you'll probably get what I mean.

As you say, the album is listenable and it's not the worse mix DT has put out there (we will always have WDADU lols) but if you compare much lower budget albums such as Haken's The Mountain or Affinity with DT12, it makes you wonder how in hell did DT not achieve something greater with that album.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 03:57:09 PM »
I don't feel that way about Jordan's parts at all.  I mean, yes, the BTFW mix is very different and I definitely pick up on a lot of nuances that I do not readily hear on the album.  But that's just because the mix is different--not that the mix on the album sounds bad to me.  And to elaborate further, the mix on DT12 is very dynamic, and I can definitely hear lots of different things going on with the instruments at different times.  But while the mix on BTFW is also very dynamic, to me, that mix is too keyboard-heavy and brings the keyboards too far forward while buying the guitar a bit too much and making the guitar often sound dry and harsh.

To each their own.  I'm not saying you are wrong.  But I definitely don't hear it the same way you do.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 04:03:12 PM »

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 04:21:18 PM »
:dunno:

I think Illumination Theory is their 2nd worst "Epic" behind A Change Of Seasons

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 04:33:25 PM »
Maybe it's because I always listen to the HD version, but the sound of DT12 never bothers me.  No, it's not the best sounding album, but it's fine for the style the music is in.

This is still an album I can listen to from start to finish and enjoy everything from it.  Illumination Theory and Surrender to Reason, in particular, are outstanding.

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 05:46:48 PM »
This may not be a super-popular view here, but that's cool:

It's my second favorite DT album.

It's one of the best rock albums I've ever heard.

It's the album I had been hoping for them to release for almost 20 years.

And I LOVE the drum sound on the album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 05:54:03 PM »
WOW!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Blind Faythe

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 06:42:28 PM »
Nice thread Dark Lord!

I agree with the majority of your impressions, here are some of mine:

1) The drumming doesn't sound bad at all! Actually, I kinda love the snared sound from here a lot.

2) Behind the Veil, I'd say would be my main player for this album. Although it isn't as long as Illumination Theory, I really think the song's foundation is really strong. Petrucci's riffs are amazing and his solo just is awesome!

3) Enigma Machine for me was the only song in this album that kind of stood out like a sore thumb. Other instrumentals like Stream of Consciousness, Hell's Kitchen, Erotomania had a lot of great melodies, but Enigma Machine was just...what's the word? I just didn't like it as much.

4) I feel like Jordan Rudess should have had more solo's. Petrucci took like all of them. No hate though.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 06:43:41 PM »

Yeah, like Bosk also said, the mix did not stick out at all. I had no problem hearing the album.
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2016, 06:48:58 PM »
Nice thread Dark Lord!

1) The drumming doesn't sound bad at all! Actually, I kinda love the snared sound from here a lot.

2) Behind the Veil, I'd say would be my main player for this album. Although it isn't as long as Illumination Theory, I really think the song's foundation is really strong. Petrucci's riffs are amazing and his solo just is awesome!

3) Enigma Machine for me was the only song in this album that kind of stood out like a sore thumb. Other instrumentals like Stream of Consciousness, Hell's Kitchen, Erotomania had a lot of great melodies, but Enigma Machine was just...what's the word? I just didn't like it as much.

4) I feel like Jordan Rudess should have had more solo's. Petrucci took like all of them. No hate though.

There is so much wrong here, it is pretty painful.  :facepalm:

I won't say if the drum is good or not because I really don't care about how it sounds. How Mike played those fills, those beats, those solo's....that is what I look at, not at the sound. Same for Images and Words....I don't care about the flat snare.

Behind the Veil is an underrated song, but you yourself, you are overrating it.  :lol
It is nowhere as near as powerful as IT or TBP. I know how it's your "opinion", but you should know when an opinion is very weak and without proof when you compare two totally different stuff like: Justin Bieber is worse than Opeth. I mean, seriously?

Enigma Machine had great melodies too. The bass had a super prominent role in this song and all instruments got a fair share of their solo's and we haven't seen a song like that since Ytse Jam. To me EM, was not the weakest link of the song. I'd have to say The Enemy Inside would be their weakest.

Go to Petrucci or Dream Theater and say what you said: "Jordan Rudess should have had more solo's."
They did not exclude Rudess' solo on purpose. It's not like they just said to Jordan, "Jordan, your solo's are great, but this album will be mostly guitar solo's." Why don't you listen to "As I Am", the song's meaning was written specifically written for fan's like you.

:dunno:

I think Illumination Theory is their 2nd worst "Epic" behind A Change Of Seasons

:eek
Why do you think that?? A Change of Season's at dead last?? How come?

This may not be a super-popular view here, but that's cool:

It's my second favorite DT album.

It's one of the best rock albums I've ever heard.

It's the album I had been hoping for them to release for almost 20 years.

And I LOVE the drum sound on the album.

May not be super popular, but sounds right to me. :)
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Blind Faythe

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2016, 06:58:15 PM »
Um, it was all my opinion. Why would you bash on me for having an opinion? I don't think there are such things as "so much wrongs" on opinions because we were all created differently. I don't want to be bashed everytime I write my opinion.

Also, The Enemy Inside might be your weakest link, but I think The Enemy Inside Inside is a solid song and Enigma Machine is the weakest link of this album.

Opinions. We all have them. Honestly, you brought me down a bit with that comment, because I take every comment to heart, but I understand why you wrote that.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 07:03:40 PM »
Um, it was all my opinion. Why would you bash on me for having an opinion? I don't think there are such things as "so much wrongs" on opinions because we were all created differently. I don't want to be bashed everytime I write my opinion.

Also, The Enemy Inside might be your weakest link, but I think The Enemy Inside Inside is a solid song and Enigma Machine is the weakest link of this album.

Opinions. We all have them. Honestly, you brought me down a bit with that comment, because I take every comment to heart, but I understand why you wrote that.

You have to relax.  :chill

I'm just responding to what you were saying. No need to get all defensive.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2016, 09:39:07 PM »

Apologies for eavesdropping, but in fairness to BF, "You're totally wrong! Face palm emoji!" isn't the friendliest of responses. You came off a tad strong. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 10:20:25 PM »
I've heard four versions of DT12: The HD mix, the 5.1, the CD, and the vinyl. I was underwhelmed with the HD mix, they basically just turned it down, but that does solve a lot of the problems with the mastering. I was very disappointed with the 5.1. Something about it just sounded really brash. Not so much because of the loudness, I really don't know how to describe it beyond that. I thought the CD version sounded fine. A bit loud but far from their worst mix. Vinyl, again, pretty much just a quieter version of the CD.

Overall I definitely understand people's qualms with the production, but I think it's a better sounding DT album than at least 3 or 4 of their other albums.  I thought the drums were actually an improvement on ADTOE. The in your face sound is pretty effective on a few songs too.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2016, 02:08:05 AM »

In defense of Blind Faythe, Scar, read your answer again and tell me it isn't a little condescending. Now, if it was intentional or not, i don't know, but it still sounds condescending.

There is so much wrong here, it is pretty painful. :facepalm:

Behind the Veil is an underrated song, but you yourself, you are overrating it:lol

I know how it's your "opinion", but you should know when an opinion is very weak and without proof when you compare two totally different stuff like: Justin Bieber is worse than Opeth. I mean, seriously?

" Why don't you listen to "As I Am", the song's meaning was written specifically written for fan's like you.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2016, 05:12:25 AM »

:eek
Why do you think that?? A Change of Season's at dead last?? How come?

It's just never clicked. It just seems like a hodge podge of ideas that don't flow. Kinda like the first few minutes of illumination Theory.

Offline stargazer18

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2016, 07:57:24 AM »
I like DT12 quite a bit. I think it’s a pretty good mix of the style of songs they typically write including the straight ahead album opening rocker, the medium length prog/metal song and an album ending epic. Thanks to this forum I’ve really dug deep into many of DT’s influences so the somewhat “stitched together” structure of IT does not bother me. I’ve heard quite of few of the great epics of the 70’s and not all flow seamlessly from end to end. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - IT works for me.

I’m not a musician so I don’t typically focus on the sound of a particular instrument in the mix. I don’t think the CD version sounds bad. For a while both Dream Theater and Iron Maiden were my two most listen to bands. As much as I still love IM they have a pretty big catalog of poor sounding recordings. Too many IM CD’s sound muddy to me and lack a little on the high end.  DT by a wide margin make a much better sounding CD.

I agree with KevShmev in that I can typically put this CD in and not be tempted to skip a song.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2016, 10:32:32 AM »
Yeah, just read it fully now. I understand how cringey it could have been. Sorry.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2016, 01:16:29 PM »
What kind of sound system are you listening to it on? This album has always sounded fine to me. I remember being quit impressed with the production. Perhaps you mistakenly put the 5.1 mid in your player.
 It came with both versions. The CD stereo mix sounds great. I tried putting in the 5.1 mix and it was aweful  on the stereo. That version is panned for 5.1 or 7.1 surround systems. Make sure you put in the regular CD..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2016, 02:31:23 PM »
What kind of sound system are you listening to it on? This album has always sounded fine to me. I remember being quit impressed with the production. Perhaps you mistakenly put the 5.1 mid in your player.
 It came with both versions. The CD stereo mix sounds great. I tried putting in the 5.1 mix and it was aweful  on the stereo. That version is panned for 5.1 or 7.1 surround systems. Make sure you put in the regular CD..

I have listened to DT12 on headphones and a car stereo. Sounded good on both IMO. Never really got the hate on the album's production, even the snare drum sounds fine to me.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2016, 02:34:33 PM »

I've listened to the normal version on headphones and in my car. Sounded pretty bad to me on each.

But we all have different ears and notice different things. We also all have different tastes and different standards. So some one us like the mix, some of us don't. It's all good. Fortunately for me, I also don't like the album itself, so I don't get too upset about the mix ruining an otherwise great album for me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2016, 02:37:57 PM »
I actually love the snare drum sound. I was (and still am) shocked at how much hate that got here.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2016, 04:21:30 PM »
Along For The Ride is pretty bad. The muddy booming snare doesn't do that song any favours.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2016, 05:54:21 PM »
The HDTracks version has a much nicer mix.
The drum sounds are pretty bad regardless, but it's much less compressed and open sounding. I can listen to the CD mix without getting annoyed simply because I really love most of the songs on this album, but honestly I wish they would have provided multitracks for all the songs (they only did for BTV)...
IT, TBP and STR are without a doubt my favorite tracks on the album, but I don't dislike any of the tracks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2016, 06:03:55 PM »
Wasn't it discovered that the HDTracks, whilst sounding better - was the same mix just mastered less hot or was the vinyl version or something ?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2016, 10:26:19 PM »
The criticism the mix gets from me is because I think the mix is quite unmusical to my ears. Dynamics are practically non-existent and everything sounds flat and lifeless, IMHO. It's so great that so many of you can enjoy this album thoroughly and, don't get me wrong, I really like this album's music and what it has to offer, but my case is based on how better it could've been.

I know sometimes it's silly to say: 'they should've mixed this instrument higher' or 'they should've used another snare' and whatnot, because guys like John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess probably know best what's the better way to present their music. Also, when someone says something like: 'this album is great!' or 'this album is bad!', even if it's not stated as such one should infer that we're talking about his/her opinion. Part of what I like the most about writing in this forum is the wealth of opinions (as opposed to the one-sided discussions over MP.com, for example), and that makes me glad that I made this thread.

Finally, in the same fashion that some of you don't like The Astonishing's sound production at all, I happen to love it. I really think both Chycki and Petrucci made their best efforts into creating and mixing that album. It's not easy to produce and mix a session with 100 or more tracks, and they really pulled it off.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 10:31:39 PM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2016, 10:40:51 PM »
Wasn't it discovered that the HDTracks, whilst sounding better - was the same mix just mastered less hot or was the vinyl version or something ?

Not even mastered less hot. They apparently just skipped the limiter, so there's less clipping. Otherwise it's the same master though. I find the CD version almost unlistenable, it just hurts my ears. The HDTracks version is a noticeable improvement, but still one of their worst sounding albums. Like Adami though, I'm not much of a fan of the album anyway, so it doesn't bother me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2016, 12:26:18 AM »
Nice thread Dark Lord!

There is so much wrong here, it is pretty painful.  :facepalm:

I won't say if the drum is good or not because I really don't care about how it sounds. How Mike played those fills, those beats, those solo's....that is what I look at, not at the sound. Same for Images and Words....I don't care about the flat snare.

Behind the Veil is an underrated song, but you yourself, you are overrating it.  :lol
It is nowhere as near as powerful as IT or TBP. I know how it's your "opinion", but you should know when an opinion is very weak and without proof when you compare two totally different stuff like: Justin Bieber is worse than Opeth. I mean, seriously?

Enigma Machine had great melodies too. The bass had a super prominent role in this song and all instruments got a fair share of their solo's and we haven't seen a song like that since Ytse Jam. To me EM, was not the weakest link of the song. I'd have to say The Enemy Inside would be their weakest.

Go to Petrucci or Dream Theater and say what you said: "Jordan Rudess should have had more solo's."
They did not exclude Rudess' solo on purpose. It's not like they just said to Jordan, "Jordan, your solo's are great, but this album will be mostly guitar solo's." Why don't you listen to "As I Am", the song's meaning was written specifically written for fan's like you.
As has been mentioned, this is WAY out of line.  You need to knock that off immediately.  Consider this a warning.

And FYI, As I Am has nothing to do with fans.