Author Topic: Listened to DT12 after a quite some time and these are my impressions:  (Read 10328 times)

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
Re: Listened to DT12 after a quite some time and these are my impressions:
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2016, 06:50:35 AM »
I do prefer ADTOE to DT12, but it's because of mixed feelings.
I love half of the album because it's well composed and really liked from the first listen, and the strings in the IT touched me, and even more in the live.
I disliked some predictable radio vibe I felt here and there, I don't want DT to make efforts for the masses :D

Soundwise, I agree it could be way better, and some choices are unexplainable for me, like towards the end JP does irrititating screeching sounds while playing that force me to lower the volume :/
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2016, 09:37:13 AM »
That is the best I've seen describe the song.

It's even more interesting if you take into account the mirroring u-shaped structure of the song, but I think some are already tired of me sharing this over and over again.  :lol

DARK                       LIGHT
Crescendo drum roll    Decrescendo drum roll
            v                                 ^
Slow majestic intro      Slow majestic ending
Paradox of the              References to light in
Black Light                     paradoxical lyrics
Rocking riff                     Rocking riff
Harsh reality                   Harsh reality
Questions                          Answers
Nothingness >journey > enlightenment

TCOT is usually used as a comparison, but it's not comparable because TCOT is a linear narrative. IT is not linear, it is more comparable to SDOIT in structure.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 10:11:14 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2016, 09:46:58 AM »
TCOT is usually used as a comparison, but it's not comparable because TCOT is a linear narrative. IT is not linear, it is more comparable to SDOIT in structure.
Lyrically and thematically, I agree that TCOT is not a good comparison.  But in terms of big picture musical structure, the comparison is easy to see.  And I think it is especially easy to latch onto the musical similarities given that these are the only two big epics that feature an uncharacteristic extended soft/ambient section smack in the middle.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2016, 10:02:35 AM »
They also did that soft section in the middle thing with the Goodnight Kiss section in SDOIT. The transition is actually similarly jarring coming from TTTSTA.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2016, 10:31:55 AM »
SDOIT is a bit different to me because it feels more like suite or group of individual and independent songs kind of flowing into each other. I suppose the same could be said for Octavarium too for many.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2016, 10:38:49 AM »
Aside from the blatantly copied intro/outro drum fills, I don't see any notable similarity between IT and SDOIT. IT and TCOT are a natural comparison, as far as the DT epics go, at least. It's a bit more difficult to share structural similarites with a 19+ minute song than it is for a 4 minute pop/rock song.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2016, 12:56:56 PM »
Since we are on the boat of their self titled album......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYFsSBs23G8

Pretty fun as heck if I do say so myself. Randomly autoplayed after I finished listening to Enigma Machine.
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2016, 08:02:16 PM »
Aside from the blatantly copied intro/outro drum fills, I don't see any notable similarity between IT and SDOIT.

It's not just the drum fills. The exception is in the Solitary Shell part.

SDOIT pattern:

drum roll > majestic (overture) > rock (ATC) > heavy (WIMH/TTTSTA) > slow, brooding (GK) > acoustic (SS) > rock (ATC-R) > majestic (LT/GF) > drum roll

IT pattern:

drum roll > majestic (paradox of black light) > rock (riffing) > heavy (LDK) > slow, brooding (TEC) > heavy (TPOT) > rock (riffing) > majestic (STP) > drum roll

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2016, 11:07:44 PM »
SDOIT is similar to IT in the same way people argue that Outcry was like Metropolis. Even boiling down a 42 minute / 19 minute song to 7 main vague descriptions of sections it's a bit of a stretch.

However, looking at the rough structure of TCOT/IT, I came up with this-

TCOT
introduction of main theme in slower section > heavier instrumental section > heavy verse > chorus > instrumental noodly > different heavy verse section > chorus > instrumental > soft/ambient section > slower tempo epic finale vocal section at end > epic guitar solo outro

IT
introduction of main theme in slower section > heavier instrumental section > heavy verse > chorus > instrumental noodly > different heavy verse section > chorus > instrumental > soft/ambient section > heavier vocal section > instrumental section > slower tempo epic finale vocal section at end > epic guitar solo

Is it a perfect comparison? Of course not. But there are actually a lot of similarities in structure, especially before the middle breaks. And while there are also admittedly some contrivances in my classifications, they're much less vague contrivances than yours! :P
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 11:30:42 PM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.