Author Topic: What do you listen to a Dream Theater song for?  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Blind Faythe

What do you listen to a Dream Theater song for?
« on: October 26, 2016, 06:57:08 PM »
I am wondering.....when you guys listen to a Dream Theater song, what is the purpose for it?

The lyrics? The music? It fits the mood? You just feel like it?

Personally, when I first here a song, I just listen to it just to hear how it sounds like, then I listen to it for the lyrics and how I feel about the song and when I fall in love with it, I want to dig deeper into it. The reason my dad listens to Dream Theater is for how badass it is and because he just has the sudden urge to listen to a song.

My mom on the other hand, doesn't know Dream Theater as solidly like my dad and brothers, but she listens to songs because it is catchy and I can hear her sing some songs and sometimes since it is so catchy, I hum the song unintentionally.

So, what do you listen to a Dream Theater song for? What's the purpose behind it?

Offline ChuckSteak

Re: What do you listen to a Dream Theater song for?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 07:15:41 PM »
I don't know.. what's the purpose of listening to music at all? I guess because we like it. Maybe I got the question wrong...

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 07:50:47 PM »
I don't know.. what's the purpose of listening to music at all? I guess because we like it. Maybe I got the question wrong...

No, you have it write. The OP didn't word the question clearly. The only reason I love Oprah is because....they dish out very good music. The purpose for listening to music is because we enjoy it. Lyrics, music, feeling...who cares? Its because we like it, we listen to it.  :\
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 02:28:09 AM »

The only reason I love Oprah is because....they dish out very good music.
???
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 02:39:23 AM »
Oprah is the best band ever.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 02:44:04 AM »
Oprah is the best band ever.

Yeah, I like how they write each section of their songs.

"You get a time signature, and you get a time signature...EVERYBODY GETS A TIME SIGNATURE!!!"
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 03:54:01 AM »
I listen mainly for guitars and drums, instruments I play and feel.
Of course I love keyboards and the great work done to have two lead instruments playing together :)

Far behind, I read lyrics and listen to the voice, I'm a melody guy, I have to get what I want instrumentaly or I stop there :D
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline ChuckSteak

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 06:35:02 AM »
Well, we now know Scar texts about Oprah. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 07:06:37 AM »
I think the whole question is more about why we listen to the music that we listen to, period. With Dream Theater, they're so diverse that they have a song for every mood. Sometimes I'm in the mood for something heavy, or something with chunky riffs, they have songs that are good for that.
Sometimes, I'm in the mood for something with a lot of intensity and atmosphere, something that helps my creative spark, or makes me feel like I'm watching an action movie, they have songs that are good for that.
Sometimes, I want something soothing and mellow... Well you get the idea. I can honestly say that DT has a little bit of everything for me.

But when I'm in a general Dream Theater mood (which is often), I listen to it just for the sheer love of music, like, I can feel the passion and the joy the members felt when writing and recording it, or playing it live, it really comes through in the music, and knowing the band as well as I do now, it's very uplifting to hear.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 07:57:14 AM »
That's what I get for typing it on my phone...again.

*Opeth
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 10:48:46 AM »
I enjoy the melodies they create, the groove, and feel. The Astonishing is my 2ND favorite now as it surpassed Scenes, my number one is 6DOIT.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 12:57:50 PM »
There's something about the energy and vibe of Dream Theater's music that really appeals to me. As I get older, I'm finding that I enjoy fun, positive music more and serious, darker stuff less. I know that's super vague and debatable, but let's just say there's a lot more Moving Pictures in my playlist and a lot less My Arms, Your Hearse these days.

DT hits that sweet spot of being adventurous, epic, and optimistic while also hitting on the deeper stuff once in a while, at least in my opinion. I'm not very good at describing my feelings toward music, but hopefully that makes a little bit of sense.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline pcs90

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 01:22:42 PM »
Well I listen to music in general for the instrumental side. Many of my favorite bands are instrumental. If Dream Theater did not have instrumental sections I probably would have never heard of them.
That being said, DT has songs for everything, both from a musical perspective but also a lyrical one, and in the case of this band I do pay attention to the singing and lyrics as well. They must be one of the most diverse bands around. Often the interpretations of lyrics, especially the more mysterious ones, are also interesting and gives different meanings to many of DT's songs.
So all of that to say I listen to DT because they are awesome, basically. :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 03:58:31 PM »
I am a fan of music mostly.  Lyrics are a distant 2nd.  Guitar playing, drums and keyboards are especially an interest of mine.  Melodies and harmonies accompanied by complex arrangements just make it that much more interesting.  This also applies to vocals as well.  It also applies to many other bands I listen to.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 04:57:10 PM »
Their music as a whole is very enjoyable to me.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2016, 09:47:05 AM »
I don't really pay attention to the words/lyrics. I do the melodies the singers sing, which is part of the music as a whole.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD