Author Topic: A New Perspective on "A Nightmare to Remember"  (Read 2862 times)

Offline Blind Faythe

A New Perspective on "A Nightmare to Remember"
« on: October 26, 2016, 06:50:24 PM »
I was just remembering how good of a band Dream theater was and I wanted to take the time to properly listen to a Dream Theater song and I decided to try "A Nightmare to Remember." At first, like any other song, I just went over it, not really thinking about the song, but when I took the time to read the lyrics and try paying attention to the song, it really changed my perspective.

My first perspective was that it was an average song with good melodies here and good melodies there and that oh so horrifying vocal part by Mike Portnoy. I simply dismissed as any other song.

The next time I heard it, I just realized the beauty of it. Thankfully, I have a prog equipped family and I would sometimes ask them about the whole nature of "progressive" music and my dad said that he was in a band when he was young and Dream Theater had been a huge influence. I feel like the song is very beautiful throughout, though it kind of slips out in the ending. I love how the song shifts from an aggressive verse to a really calming, almost relaxing part. I absolutely adore the vocal harmonies that go on through there and man, I can feel the song, I can feel the pain John Petrucci went through. The instrumental section after is great, but it slips out near the end. Even though it slips out, I never get bored and the song keeps my interest. The blast beat in the end sounds so cool and the drum outro makes my heart race every time.

That's all I wanted to say. :)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: A New Perspective on "A Nightmare to Remember"
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 06:55:53 PM »
I consider that song (and the whole album to some degree) perhaps the biggest missed opportunity in DT's catalog. There are so many fantastic moments but there's also a lot of clutter that really drags it down.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 10:09:35 PM »
I have always like that song. A combination of heavy stuff and prog and melodic other parts. In fact the whole album is a pretty good one for me.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 02:29:21 AM »
The song is good but not perfect. I remember seeing a live video of it: the dramatic intro, the heavy part kicking in and getting the crowd excited, the mellow part in the middle that changed the atmosphere... up until that section the song is flawless. It's what comes next that's a bit more meandering and should have been more concise, and reworked cutting the fat.

The infamous "Day after day" part mainly has the weird contrast of music vs lyrics... I get there had to be the portion explaining how no one died but "everyone survived, groarrrrrr!!!!" wasn't the best option.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 07:01:32 AM »
I will just say that my opinion remains unchanged.

But I'm glad you like it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 07:04:31 AM »
I will just say that my opinion remains unchanged.

Same here.  I still think it is all kinds of awesome.  :D
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 08:01:54 AM »
That blast beat actually sounds so awkward.   :lol
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 08:02:44 AM »
That's their attempt to go death metal with those "growls" and blast beat. Please, stick to program.
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 08:21:38 AM »
That blast beat actually sounds so awkward.   :lol
Yeah, Portnoy didn't quite have it down at that time, unfortunately.  One of a few flaws that keep it from being just about a perfect song.

That's their attempt to go death metal with those "growls" and blast beat. Please, stick to program.
I will pass your instructions on to the band.  I am sure they will be glad for the help.  But I suspect they will also request that you better educate yourself as to what growls are.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 08:40:02 AM »
I will pass your instructions on to the band.  I am sure they will be glad for the help.  But I suspect they will also request that you better educate yourself as to what growls are.
:lol
We talked about this before about the growls. That's why I pit it in parenthesis. I know that's not a real growl because on the Portnoy appreciation thread, you said that was not a growl and even if they did a growl you wouldn't like it. Sorry for the confusion.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 09:22:50 AM »
My 2nd favorite Dream Theater song. Absolutely love every part of it.   :metal :metal :metal

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 10:23:41 AM »

True.  I like the song minus those elements.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 10:29:12 AM »
This is a skewed perception of death metal if I've ever seen one
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 10:31:32 AM »
Agreed. DT skewed the perception.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Blind Faythe

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 10:33:07 AM »
I thought the blast beat was cool :)

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 10:35:53 AM »
To each their own, I guess.

For me, it seemed out of place. With Rudess' continuum, it did not sound on beat. Its like multiple lightning strikes in a dang second
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 10:46:33 AM »
It would have been cool, but the timing was off. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:56:55 PM by bosk1 »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 10:50:12 AM »

I would have been cool, but the timing was off.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 10:51:10 AM »

Peter Wildoer made the blast beat badass in his audition.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 10:57:20 AM »

Yup.  I thought Roddy did as well (even despite the sound quality of his footage).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2016, 11:47:57 AM »
I have always like that song. A combination of heavy stuff and prog and melodic other parts. In fact the whole album is a pretty good one for me.

This.

MP's vocals aren't very good, but it's not nearly as bad as this forum makes it seem IMO and those 15 seconds hardly drags down the 15 minute song.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 12:57:54 PM »
Listening to the album now.  Yup, it definitely sounds like Dream Theater.  One of the many reasons I like it.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 09:43:31 PM »

This.

MP's vocals aren't very good, but it's not nearly as bad as this forum makes it seem IMO and those 15 seconds hardly drags down the 15 minute song.

Totally!
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 01:54:47 AM »
I have also always loved this tune. Back in 2009 I was 16 and couldn't wait for the album to come out. Next to The Astonishing, probably my most anticipated album ever. Then some radio DJ mistakenly played Nightmare and Rite on his radio show, not knowing he wasn't allowed to. A friend of mine recorded it with some program and I listened to it 24/7 for about two weeks.
I always liked the MP vocals and his blast beat. Possible in the Top 5 of all my DT songs.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2016, 01:56:13 PM »
I always liked the MP vocals and his blast beat.

Overall, I like them too.  But there are unfortunate problems with both.  The vocals they chose are great, and of the three options, were easily the best choice.  But the "rooooooooaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrr!" at the end is silly and doesn't fit.  With the blast beat, that is a great place to have done it.  And it almost sounds great.  But the timing is slightly off--just enough to the point that it is noticeable and jarring.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2016, 01:57:10 PM »

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2016, 06:44:22 PM »
I always liked the MP vocals and his blast beat.

Overall, I like them too.  But there are unfortunate problems with both.  The vocals they chose are great, and of the three options, were easily the best choice.  But the "rooooooooaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrr!" at the end is silly and doesn't fit.  With the blast beat, that is a great place to have done it.  And it almost sounds great.  But the timing is slightly off--just enough to the point that it is noticeable and jarring.

Holy crap. That roar is just plain silly. I laugh everytime.  :lol
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2016, 05:31:43 AM »
If I may quote something I read once:

"...because nothing merits a ferocious metal roar quite like a religiously grateful account of a car wreck that claimed no casualties."  :lol

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2016, 08:37:03 AM »
 :rollin
And, to be honest, he probably would have done the Portnoy vocal section better

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2016, 08:56:12 AM »
If I may quote something I read once:

"...because nothing merits a ferocious metal roar quite like a religiously grateful account of a car wreck that claimed no casualties."  :lol
Yeah, that quote really misses the point.

I disagree.  He does a really good screamy vocal.  But that isn't really what is called for in that part of the song, much like the originally-planned growls wouldn't have really fit either.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2016, 02:42:54 PM »
:rollin

I really like his vocals on JLB solo albums and I am not typically a fan of the scream/growl vocals. 

Offline oh8wrx

• The Sassy Lass from Sassafrass
  • I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2016, 10:54:27 AM »
I consider that song (and the whole album to some degree) perhaps the biggest missed opportunity in DT's catalog. There are so many fantastic moments but there's also a lot of clutter that really drags it down.

Definitely agree on this.  :tup
Beer: the cause of AND solution to all of life's problems.