Author Topic: Manhattan peeps, gimme some restaurant suggestions!  (Read 842 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Manhattan peeps, gimme some restaurant suggestions!
« on: October 24, 2016, 01:53:24 PM »
A friend of ours from Texas in in Manhattan to see Hamilton.  We're heading into town tomorrow afternoon to visit her, have dinner tomorrow night, then the four of us have VIP tix to Live with Kelly on Wednesday morning, then heading right back home.  Pretty tight schedule.  Need to find some place for dinner in the somewhat general vicinity of Columbus Circle.  We're at the Holiday Inn on W 57th, they're staying pretty much right on Columbus Cr.  I know NY is going to be expensive, regardless, but if there's someplace within maybe a 5-10 minute walk that's at least somewhat affordable without being a diner or a shack, that'd be cool.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Manhattan peeps, gimme some restaurant suggestions!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 02:07:15 PM »
I'm telling the wife to look for you on Kelly.  You better be wearing your Steel Panther tee shirt mofo.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 02:19:30 PM »
I've already been put on notice that I will be made to look presentable, so basically I'll be dressing as if I were going to work.  Mrs. C. works for Kelly's brother-in-law.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 02:26:25 PM »
Better sneak in a flask to get you through the show. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 02:41:25 PM »
https://donantoniopizza.com/ 

309 W. 50th, 0.6 miles from that hotel

It was on Triple D, looked very interesting, so we checked it out a couple of years ago.  My wife and I have been there three of our six visits to NYC since.  The best pizza we have ever had.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 02:51:32 PM »
Turns out the only "restaurant" restaurant I've ever been to up that way closed a couple years ago. I can only recommend two beer bars up that way that have (or at least I'm told have) very good food as well.

https://thejeffreynyc.com/

https://www.asisnyc.com/
Photobucket sucks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 03:32:30 PM »
We're at the Holiday Inn on W 57th,

I'm very familiar with this Holiday Inn.  I hope you purchased your parking with the hotel room, it's more expensive if you pay there.  But if not, ask for a discount from the front desk.  I think they will give you at least a discount with the parking if you stay the night, although it's still not cheaper than including it with your room.

I pretty much stay at this hotel for every concert I see in NYC since it's pretty cheap, but not going to lie, it's far from being a hotel I like.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 03:41:17 PM »
We're taking the train from Harrisburg.

Looks like the budget is topping out around $50/person.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 08:27:48 PM »
Turns out the only "restaurant" restaurant I've ever been to up that way closed a couple years ago. I can only recommend two beer bars up that way that have (or at least I'm told have) very good food as well.

https://thejeffreynyc.com/

https://www.asisnyc.com/

asisnyc? I'm glad they chose the vowel they did.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 07:55:15 AM »
Benito One in Little Italy (Mulberry Street) though that is pretty far from you.   In my experience, if you stay clear of chains and tourist traps (you'll know what I mean) you can't go too far wrong. 

If you're looking for some whahibrido pickingant, go to McSorley's Olde Ale House down by NYU.  Been there since 1843 (I think) and it looks it, but it's very fun. Not a restaurant (I think their menu is crackers, mustard and onions or ham and cheese sandwiches; no, I'm not kidding at all) and they only serve their beer (McSorley's Light and McSorley's Dark) but it's my favorite bar in the world.

Say hello to Kelly for me.   A guy in my band in Philly was on a dancing show (like an American Bandstand) with her back in the early '80's.   Apparently, back then she was good people.  Don't know about now. 

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 09:07:43 AM »
I walk by McSorley's every month on my way to my homebrew club meeting, always tell myself I'm going to duck in afterwards one of these nights.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 09:15:50 AM »
Southern Hospitality. It's Justin Timberlake's BBQ joint. It's great.