Author Topic: Nekov's Roulette N°5 v. Round 6 Results! Send Round 7  (Read 22129 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Nekov's Roulette N°5 v. Round 1 Results! Send Round 2
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2016, 04:47:56 PM »
well, that's quick
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2016, 04:49:48 PM »
How many times do you listen to our songs?  :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2016, 05:03:17 PM »
How many times do you listen to our songs?  :lol
At least 3. I've already given all of them 1 listen and will give another round of listens before I call it a night
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2016, 05:17:31 PM »
How dare you only listen to them 3 times! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2016, 05:21:59 PM »
3 times does feel like a bit too few to properly judge anything imo but what do i know

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2016, 05:24:36 PM »
I think it's perfect!

#brownnose  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2016, 05:36:07 PM »
I think it's perfect!

#brownnose  ;D

Photoshop Time!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2016, 05:45:00 PM »
I've been surprised, in my roulette, how my opinion was bang on after one listen to a high proportion of songs. That being said I couldn't see my score being fair after only three listens. I'm aiming for 8-10 listens generally, but my current round is difficult as the average song length this round is just under 7 minutes with 12 participants  :facepalm:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2016, 05:46:21 PM »
i land in the range of 5-6 because much more than that in a short period of time is when you start to get burned out on the good stuff and hate the bad stuff  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2016, 05:56:57 PM »
That's the cool thing about running a roulette. You get to set your parameters different each time you run one.  So since this is Nekov's 5th, this gives him a fresh perspective running the game.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2016, 06:01:43 PM »
   So since this is Nekov's 5th, this gives him a fresh perspective running the game.

#brownnose  ;D
;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2016, 06:03:06 PM »
 :lol

It must have been subconscious!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2016, 06:06:24 PM »
I think an independent photoshopper is required here , so you can both be included  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2016, 06:08:01 PM »
Pretty sure that won't be necessary.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2016, 06:18:11 PM »
I'm all for it. :lol

You should see me on Facebook making a fool of myself.  Tim won't be able to though,  he still owns a rotary phone. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2016, 06:19:39 PM »
ahh, to be young again,

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #121 on: October 30, 2016, 06:20:32 PM »

You should see me on Facebook making a fool of myself.  Tim won't be able to though,  he still owns a rotary phone. :lol
Oh sure, I get up to change the channel and you make a joke on me!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2016, 06:23:23 PM »

You didn't use a human remote controler?  I was one in the 70's.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2016, 06:31:35 PM »

They are on their um...computers!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2016, 08:09:11 PM »
Round2 Results

Tomislav95: Caligula’s Horse - Marigold

This song reminded me a bit of Symphony X because of the “Egyptian” vibe. This is not really my type of prog metal, I’m more a fan of cleaner melodies, not so mixed with hammering. I did like the song, don’t get me wrong, it has a couple of nice melodies when they’re not doing full on metal and I find it to be very consistent and having a good flow overall but again, just not my type of prog metal.   

Score: 5

twosuitsluke: John Frusciante - A Song to Sing When I'm Lonely

I’m not a fan of RHCP so I never thought about checking John Fusciante out and I had a little of a bad pre-judgement but this song took me by surprise. It’s just a beautiful song, it’s very well crafted and the vocal arrangements give it a nice edge and make it interesting even though it’s a simple song. Great choice

Score: 7

Scar: Sirenia - The Twilight in Your Eyes

What really stands out to me about this song is the singer’s voice, quite beautiful and put to a good use. I also like the keyboard and string arrangements quite a bit however it’s just bits and pieces, the song overall doesn’t really stand out much. I don’t dislike it but I don’t think it has anything special to offer.

Score: 4

TAC: Hangar - The Infallible Emperor

That intro sure is misleading. Obviously Achielles being the drummer this was going to be power metal but I had a glimpse of hope for a couple of seconds. His drumming is exactly what I expect from him, powerful with a couple of nice touches here and there and that’s as much as I can compliment that song. Another case of a song I didn’t dislike but that I don’t feel has anything special to offer.  It feels like it’s trying to be Angra but missing the really good stuff.

Fluffy Lothario: Machine Head - A Thousand Lies

Well, after just a few seconds I could see why you mentioned Pantera in your message when referring to this band because this sounds just like Pantera but not as good. What really makes Pantera special is Dimebag’s guitar playing and Vinnies drumming that feels like someone’s pounding on your chest. I didn’t get that from these guys. It’s good 90’s metal but I would rather listen to Pantera.

Train of Naught: Dreadnought - Minuet de Lune

All the first section of this song is wonderful, they manage to create a somber yet attractive atmosphere lead by that amazing and haunting voice. I feel like the transition to the next part of the song is a bit abrupt and breaks that great mood it managed to create but after adjusting it starts delivering some great music again. I love the flute solo, it’s hard to get one into a song that fits as well as this. Everything else in the song is also pretty good, the guitar melodies change a lot and give the song a lot of diversity and the rhythmic section is top notch. The abrupt ending leaves me hanging and wanting more every time.

Score: 8

King: Bent Knee - Leak Water

It took me a couple of listens to really get this song because it’s weird, that initial part with the repeating sound and the singer almost drives me crazy but fortunately the rest of the band comes in just in time to rescue the song. They create an amazing sonic experience, the rhythm is ever changing, great string arrangements, overall it’s so good. This is one of the few times I will say the song benefits from the abrupt changes and the broken flow, that’s a huge part of it.

Big Hath: Soul Secret - Aftermath

Someone’s been attending Jingle Boy’s school for cheaters! I could immediately recognize Arno Menses’ voice which got me engaged to the song. It’s hard to describe this song because it’s so long and has so many different sections but I will say a couple of things. First of all, I liked how even though the song goes through so many changes it manages to remain consistent and for the most part the transitions are pretty good. Sometimes the flow breaks a little bit but they pick it up pretty quickly. The instrumentation is excellent, whether they’re playing metal, prog, or the more smooth parts. My favorite part of the song is the Jazzy instrumental around the 5 minute mark, it kinda comes out of nowhere and then slips away into oblivion yet it feels like it should be there.

Score: 9

Sacul: Bent Knee - Being Human

Even though this one is very different from the one King sent there are similarities in how the song is structured and how the break in the flow is used as an advantage. Just read that review and you’ll get the gist of what I would say about this song. Though I’ll add something, I think what I like the most about this band is how well they manage contrast.

Elite: Thoughts Factory - No Way Out

:metal This is one of those songs I could see myself rocking out at a concert and having lots of fun. I don’t find it to be particularly special but as I said before, it’s pretty fun and has some good headbanging moments. I also like the use of the synths to create a nice background atmosphere.

Score: 6

Scores so far

Big Hath   17
King   14
Elite   13
Train of Naught   13
Sacul   13
TAC   11
Fluffy Lothario   11
twosuitsluke   11
Tomislav95   9
Scar   7

Round 3 will be open as well. Let's keep this rolling

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Nekov's Roulette N°5 v. Round 2 Results! Send Round 3
« Reply #125 on: October 31, 2016, 08:25:54 PM »
I prefer almost every track on Shiny-Eyed Babies over Say So from Bent Knee but I just couldn't get into the latter at all. Leak Water is one of the better songs but it's just alright imo

also RIP Caligula's Horse

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2016, 10:16:54 PM »
yay

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2016, 11:08:08 PM »
My favorite part of the song is the Jazzy instrumental around the 5 minute mark, it kinda comes out of nowhere and then slips away into oblivion yet it feels like it should be there.

:tup  those jazzy sections are what I find most interesting about the band.

will send something tomorrow evening at the latest
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #128 on: November 01, 2016, 01:33:20 AM »
Glad you liked it and fair assessment about the ending, though that problem is fixed when listening to the album, it's a great album honestly.

There's some screams on the album too, I'd even argue that they're more common than the cleans (though I'm not familiar enough with the album to tell for sure), kind of in the vein of Alcest but not as powerful.

Oh and I'll send today if I don't forget.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #129 on: November 01, 2016, 02:35:48 AM »
Cool, glad you liked.

I think I'm going to avoid prog metal and continue the trend of sending on impulse  :tup

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #130 on: November 01, 2016, 04:06:30 AM »
Sent something different this time, it seems I suck at sending rock and metal here :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2016, 04:10:08 AM »
Nekov is quite picky with his prog rock & metal. I knew this in advance, but I find it hard to pinpoint exactly what he does and does not like.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2016, 04:15:12 AM »
Nekov is quite picky with his prog rock & metal.

This is quite true

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2016, 04:40:42 AM »
Sent something different this time, it seems I suck at sending rock and metal here :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #134 on: November 01, 2016, 04:44:35 AM »

2nd time!
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: November 01, 2016, 04:48:36 AM »

Alright, I'll think about a song to send during the work day.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: November 01, 2016, 01:40:42 PM »
3 songs in so far, come on you guys, I need more music!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: November 01, 2016, 01:43:32 PM »
Can I send you a song even though I'm not participating

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #138 on: November 01, 2016, 01:54:27 PM »
Sent gorgeousness!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #139 on: November 01, 2016, 01:56:42 PM »
Can I send you a song even though I'm not participating

Make me a deal and you can send a song by proxy  :lol