Author Topic: I feel sorry for Arhys (Astonishing story discussion)  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Heavens_Cove777

• A journey to find The answers inside Our illusive
I feel sorry for Arhys (Astonishing story discussion)
« on: October 22, 2016, 08:46:58 PM »
Who else feels kinda sorry for Arhys in The Astonishing?

I mean, his whole dilemma was centered around Gabriel and Xander. He decides he's rather die and lose everything than to turn on his brother. BUT...Gabriel seems indifferent as if he didn't really care about Arhys. Gabriel acts like Faythe meant more to him than Arhys. Little did Gabriel know that his brother was divided and torn morally. Little did Gabriel know that Arhys had his life in his hands and could have easily gave him up...lol
"I'm kneeling on the floor
staring at the wall
like the spider in the window
I wish that I could speak" ✝

Offline fischermasamune

Re: I feel sorry for Arhys (Astonishing story discussion)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 10:41:04 PM »
I don't really agree. I think Arhys was very well treated as a brother, and also as a revolution partner.

And about meaning more, what does it mean to mean more? Assuming we have a proper meaning for what 'to mean' means, who should mean more, a spouse or a brother?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 03:38:58 AM »
Well, actually in the lyrics Gabriel's despair for his brother's death, while clearly stated, it's basically mentioned only once, while it takes 10 minutes of the album (imagine this as a stage production running in real time) to despair over Faythe.

Anyway, Arhys was dead but Faythe was (mortally) wounded, so once you go through the shock of seeing your brother already dead, it's only logical to cling desperately to your love who hasn't died yet. Not much use to cry over a dead body when the other most important person of your life is laying wounded.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 02:18:13 PM »
Why would the OP think that Gabriel was indifferent to Aryhs' death?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Skeever

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 04:48:41 PM »
I don't really feel like there's enough going on in the Astonishing for me to really feel cathartic about any of it. It's like listening to a musical, without the visual aspect or spoken scenes. Now that I know what's going on, I feel I understand a little bit better what the band were going for, but overall I still don't connect with anything about the plot, Arhys included.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 06:31:49 PM »
I don't really feel like there's enough going on in the Astonishing for me to really feel cathartic about any of it. It's like listening to a musical, without the visual aspect or spoken scenes. Now that I know what's going on, I feel I understand a little bit better what the band were going for, but overall I still don't connect with anything about the plot, Arhys included.

That's too bad. It's really cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 08:58:07 PM »
I'm with Skeever in the sense that TA has too many characters, and at the same time too few lyrics, to get any kind of listener's emotional involvement going. To use the obvious point of comparison, 2112, it worked because it had one central character that you identified with. TA on the other hand wasted precious time on dead-end plot elements such as the militia (which had no discernible function in the story) or tropes (Evangeline's death serving as motivator for Arhys). I mean, there's a total of 8 characters. JP could easily have cut Evangeline, Daryus and Xander and end up with a much more compelling story. I think JP just got too excited at the creation of his own Game Thrones that he couldn't see the liability such a big cast introduces.

EDIT: 2112 obviously, not 2012.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 09:25:49 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 09:04:15 PM »
To use the obvious point of comparison, 2012, it worked because it had one central character that you identified with.

John Cusack?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 09:04:48 PM »
:lol

Yeah, 2112.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 11:11:02 PM »
I was just thinking about this earlier today, if Gabriel & the rest of the townsfolk could save Faythe with the power of music, why couldn't they do the same with Arhys?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 11:19:57 PM »
Faythe had ear protection which made the stabbing less severe.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 12:46:33 AM »
I was just thinking about this earlier today, if Gabriel & the rest of the townsfolk could save Faythe with the power of music, why couldn't they do the same with Arhys?

Arhys was dead while Faythe was dying.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 07:19:52 AM »
Faythe had ear protection which made the stabbing less severe.
:rollin :rollin :rollin Good one!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 09:13:57 AM »

Arhys was dead while Faythe was dying mostly dead.

Fixed.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."