Author Topic: Dream Theater Album Ranking by Loudwire  (Read 7164 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater Album Ranking by Loudwire
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2016, 11:39:21 AM »
Just out of curiosity - Octavarium is my favourite DT album - why do most people rate it so poorly ?

Is it primarily the simple songs ? I tend to judge a song by how good a song it is - not by how technical it is ...

Never Enough is a bit silly lyric wise sure but it's got good music.

I think The Answer Lies Within is my #2 ballad after Lines In The Sand. Root of all Evil is a great opener and Sacrificed Sons - Octavarium is probably the best closing two songs on a DT album.

And sonically it's nice and airy. Not boxy and stuffy like Systematic Chaos - which is almost Octavarium part 2.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2016, 12:08:55 PM »
Even though the title track is the only song from it in my DT top 50, Octavarium is a very good album overall.  Even the songs I am not as overly wild about sound good within the context of the album when listening to it from start to finish.  I suspect it's "low" placement for some has more to do with how strong many of the other DT albums are, rather than an indictment of Octavarium.  Octavarium is probably my 9th or 10th favorite DT record, and I cannot think of more than a few bands whose 9th or 10th best album is that good.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2016, 12:15:13 PM »
Just out of curiosity - Octavarium is my favourite DT album - why do most people rate it so poorly ?

Is it primarily the simple songs ? I tend to judge a song by how good a song it is - not by how technical it is ...

I think The Answer Lies Within is my #2 ballad after Lines In The Sand. Root of all Evil is a great opener and Sacrificed Sons - Octavarium is probably the best closing two songs on a DT album.

And sonically it's nice and airy. Not boxy and stuffy like Systematic Chaos - which is almost Octavarium part 2.

I can't answer for everyone, but personally I hate the lack of technicallity. I want 56 time signature changes per song, and 89 solos.

Kidding.

Honestly, I don't like the production as much as you do, but that doesn't impact it so much. It's the songs. 8vm is a really good song, and I love TROAE and These Walls, but I don't really like the rest of the songs a whole lot. Panic Attack is probably in my bottom 5 DT songs. Never Enough isn't bad, but I never have a desire to listen to it, same with IWBY. Sacrificed Sons is a good once in a while song, but the instrumental section bores me. And I honestly just can't get into TALW what so ever.

Different strokes for different individuals.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2016, 03:37:30 PM »
I know I've done this a few times already but the list is transient so let's see where everything lands this time.

1. Images and Words
2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
3. Scenes From A Memory
4. Awake
5. A Dramatic Turn of Events
6. The Astonishing
7. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
8. DT12
9. Train of Thought
10. Octavarium
11. Systematic Chaos
12. Falling Into Infinity
13. When Dream and Day Unite

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2016, 04:30:03 PM »
I really like The Answer Lies Within. Seems most DT fans can't stand it...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2016, 04:53:18 PM »
It's on the fence for me. I don't hate it but I don't love it. It's a pretty song but I feel like something is missing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2016, 05:09:41 PM »
The best thing about Octavarium is that I can play the first 4 songs on drums.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2016, 05:47:19 PM »
I really like The Answer Lies Within. Seems most DT fans can't stand it...

I also like it quite a bit. As for Octavarium, it's overall a solid album. I don't really listen to These Walls, I Walk Beside You or Never Enough other than when I listen to the album in full, but they're still enjoyable songs for the most part. As for the other five songs, they're all awesome!

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2016, 08:00:34 PM »
TALW is a fantastic little song, I like at about as much as songs like WFS, AL, AFTR, BTS and even Disappear. I think the Score version is so good that they probably don't ever need to play it live again. Also Vacant/TALW is a great combo at that show.

Only 'ballads' I've never really been able to get on board with DT are Hollow Years, TAMP and SDV...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2016, 08:54:37 PM »
I think The Answer Lies Within is my #2 ballad after Lines In The Sand.

Lines in the Sand is a ballad?

I like The Answer Lies Within, probably upper half or middle of the pack for DT ballads for me.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2016, 08:59:37 PM »

Octavarium is one of my favorite album. I agree with what you are saying but Lines in the sand is not a ballad in my opinion.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2016, 07:54:32 AM »
I think The Answer Lies Within is my #2 ballad after Lines In The Sand.

Lines in the Sand is a ballad?

Yeah that... WTF.  Is Brexit getting to you again?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2016, 08:10:16 AM »
The Mirror is my favorite DT ballad.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2016, 08:33:38 AM »
Far From Heaven is my favorite epic.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2016, 08:57:39 AM »
EoP is my favorite DT album.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2016, 09:31:02 AM »
Lines In The Sand is mostly soft. The chorus is up and rocky but it's mostly clean guitars and downtempo.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2016, 09:31:42 AM »

Only 'ballads' I've never really been able to get on board with DT are Hollow Years, TAMP and SDV...

Strange Deja Vu is not a ballad :neverusethis:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2016, 09:33:06 AM »
By your standards it might be.   :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2016, 09:34:56 AM »
Lines In The Sand is mostly soft. The chorus is up and rocky but it's mostly clean guitars and downtempo.

I don't think you understand what a ballad is.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2016, 10:52:14 AM »
I can't tell if this is sarcasm.  :mehlin
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2016, 05:08:35 PM »
No, it's just Kotow being Kotow.

Can someone make a meme for that?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2016, 05:16:11 PM »
It exists.

:emo:

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2016, 01:02:17 AM »
Half of Octavarium is mostly VERY soft, I guess it is a ballad. :p

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2016, 04:08:39 PM »
Let me see if I can get this right. My top five are mostly set in stone (2 and three occasionally swap), as are my bottom three, but everything else in the middle is very fluid.

1) Scenes From A Memory- Still probably my all-time favorite album from any band, and the record that turned me into a massive Dream Theater fan. Pretty much flawless from front to back.

2) Images & Words- I agonized over this vs my next entry on the list, but in the end I&W wins out by a hair. Metropolis is the quintessential Dream Theater song, and Wait for Sleep/Learning to Live is a phenomenal album close. I feel like Take the Time and Under A Glass Moon get overlooked sometimes for sharing an album with those tracks, but they're pretty great in their own right.

3) Awake- I actually prefer the darker, heavier vibe of Awake to Images and Words, but the heights of Awake (Voices, Scarred) are just short of the best I&W material, and Caught in a Web is much more of a filler track than anything else on these two albums. Lifting Shadows Off A Dream is a hidden gem.

4) Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence- The first Dream Theater album I ever purchased, after someone on the Metallica forums wouldn't stop raving about this song called The Glass Prison. I popped this into my CD player, and right about when the double bass for TGP kicked in was pretty much a musical epiphany for me. I actually took a while to warm up to the rest of the album because I wanted everything else to be as heavy as The Glass Prison, but over time as my musical tastes expanded/matured beyond just "heavy", I came to love the rest of 6DOIT almost as much as the first track.

5) A Change of Seasons- With only one track of original material on here, I couldn't bring myself to rank this in the top four. That said, ACOS still stands up for me as the greatest song Dream Theater's ever recorded. The cover medleys are pretty cool as well, I've always been enamored with the transition they pull from Carry On Wayward Son to Bohemian Rhapsody.

6) Dream Theater- My favorite of the Mangini era albums. It doesn't quite reach the highs of ADTOE, but start to finish it's a stronger, more consistent album.

7) Octavarium- Gets here almost on the strength of the title track alone, though I do like the rest of the album as well, especially the first four tracks.

8) A Dramatic Turn of Events- While not an all-time classic Dream Theater album, a solid first offering from a band with a new drummer and writing chemistry following the departure of Mike Portnoy. Bridges in the Sky is a blast, and Breaking All Illusions is a great throwback to the Images and Words era DT sound and better than any song they had put out since Octavarium

9) The Astonishing- Still digesting this one to be honest, but I dig the change up in writing style and I love Labrie’s performance on this one. A little bit bloated though, and the actual story is laughably cheesy.

10) Falling Into Infinity- It pains me to rank this so low because of how strong I find Trial of Tears (top 10) and Lines in the Sand (top 15), but aside from these two and Peruvian Skies I very rarely find myself listening to this album at all (Hollow Years doesn’t count as I always go with the epic Budokan version).

11) Black Clouds and Silver Linings- I find this to be markedly better than its predecessor and so was a step in the right direction for the Portnoy version of the band, but still pretty unremarkable by Dream Theater standards.

12) Train of Thought- The first new release after I became a fan, and I was primarily into metal at the time it immediately endeared itself to me. Age has not been kind to it for me though, as I mostly only listen to it now when I’m working out and want some riffage and shredding. Way too one dimensional of an album.

13) Systematic Chaos- I probably spin this a little more than some of albums above this, but it's the Dream Theater equivalent of junk food for me, there's just not much of substance there.

14)When Dream And Day Unite- Probably the easiest spot on the list for me to fill in. Every now and then I'll listen to a live cut of The Killing Hand from a pre-food poisoning Labrie show, and I like to spin the Score version of Afterlife on occasion, but I couldn't tell you the last time I had the urge to listen to any of the WDADU studio tracks at all. This is basically a once every few years spin for me to see if my opinion has changed (spoiler: it hasn’t).
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Blind Faythe

« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2016, 06:26:09 PM »
Let me see if I can get this right. My top five are mostly set in stone (2 and three occasionally swap), as are my bottom three, but everything else in the middle is very fluid.

1) Scenes From A Memory- Still probably my all-time favorite album from any band, and the record that turned me into a massive Dream Theater fan. Pretty much flawless from front to back.

2) Images & Words- I agonized over this vs my next entry on the list, but in the end I&W wins out by a hair. Metropolis is the quintessential Dream Theater song, and Wait for Sleep/Learning to Live is a phenomenal album close. I feel like Take the Time and Under A Glass Moon get overlooked sometimes for sharing an album with those tracks, but they're pretty great in their own right.

3) Awake- I actually prefer the darker, heavier vibe of Awake to Images and Words, but the heights of Awake (Voices, Scarred) are just short of the best I&W material, and Caught in a Web is much more of a filler track than anything else on these two albums. Lifting Shadows Off A Dream is a hidden gem.

4) Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence- The first Dream Theater album I ever purchased, after someone on the Metallica forums wouldn't stop raving about this song called The Glass Prison. I popped this into my CD player, and right about when the double bass for TGP kicked in was pretty much a musical epiphany for me. I actually took a while to warm up to the rest of the album because I wanted everything else to be as heavy as The Glass Prison, but over time as my musical tastes expanded/matured beyond just "heavy", I came to love the rest of 6DOIT almost as much as the first track.

5) A Change of Seasons- With only one track of original material on here, I couldn't bring myself to rank this in the top four. That said, ACOS still stands up for me as the greatest song Dream Theater's ever recorded. The cover medleys are pretty cool as well, I've always been enamored with the transition they pull from Carry On Wayward Son to Bohemian Rhapsody.

6) Dream Theater- My favorite of the Mangini era albums. It doesn't quite reach the highs of ADTOE, but start to finish it's a stronger, more consistent album.

7) Octavarium- Gets here almost on the strength of the title track alone, though I do like the rest of the album as well, especially the first four tracks.

8) A Dramatic Turn of Events- While not an all-time classic Dream Theater album, a solid first offering from a band with a new drummer and writing chemistry following the departure of Mike Portnoy. Bridges in the Sky is a blast, and Breaking All Illusions is a great throwback to the Images and Words era DT sound and better than any song they had put out since Octavarium

9) The Astonishing- Still digesting this one to be honest, but I dig the change up in writing style and I love Labrie’s performance on this one. A little bit bloated though, and the actual story is laughably cheesy.

10) Falling Into Infinity- It pains me to rank this so low because of how strong I find Trial of Tears (top 10) and Lines in the Sand (top 15), but aside from these two and Peruvian Skies I very rarely find myself listening to this album at all (Hollow Years doesn’t count as I always go with the epic Budokan version).

11) Black Clouds and Silver Linings- I find this to be markedly better than its predecessor and so was a step in the right direction for the Portnoy version of the band, but still pretty unremarkable by Dream Theater standards.

12) Train of Thought- The first new release after I became a fan, and I was primarily into metal at the time it immediately endeared itself to me. Age has not been kind to it for me though, as I mostly only listen to it now when I’m working out and want some riffage and shredding. Way too one dimensional of an album.

13) Systematic Chaos- I probably spin this a little more than some of albums above this, but it's the Dream Theater equivalent of junk food for me, there's just not much of substance there.

14)When Dream And Day Unite- Probably the easiest spot on the list for me to fill in. Every now and then I'll listen to a live cut of The Killing Hand from a pre-food poisoning Labrie show, and I like to spin the Score version of Afterlife on occasion, but I couldn't tell you the last time I had the urge to listen to any of the WDADU studio tracks at all. This is basically a once every few years spin for me to see if my opinion has changed (spoiler: it hasn’t).

Nice write up! I agree with the majority of your list, but I am just wondering, why is Systematic Chaos so low? What don't you like about that album? You said it lacked substance? How?

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2016, 06:30:16 PM »
Nice write up! I agree with the majority of your list, but I am just wondering, why is Systematic Chaos so low? What don't you like about that album? You said it lacked substance? How?

Honestly, for me, Systematic Chaos is great, but not as great as the other albums. First of all, ITPOE is awesome, but that is cancelled out to crap by The Dark Eternal Night and one of the songs that annoy me the most: Prophets of Fricking War. I could see where the band was trying to go with that song, but it is just hella poppy and the chanting does nothing to me. Also, Ministry has got to be one of Dt's most boring songs out there.
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2016, 08:55:10 PM »
*word vomit*

For me there are a few songs that I enjoy listening to (ITPOE, Constant Motion, Dark Eternal Night) that are fun to listen to, but I don't find them to be particularly original/interesting. Also, I would agree with Scar that The Ministry of Lost Souls is an all time DT clunker for me.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2016, 07:53:11 AM »
*word vomit*

For me there are a few songs that I enjoy listening to (ITPOE, Constant Motion, Dark Eternal Night) that are fun to listen to, but I don't find them to be particularly original/interesting. Also, I would agree with Scar that The Ministry of Lost Souls is an all time DT clunker for me.
Yeah, that's about where I am as well.  I would add Forsaken as one of the great songs on the album, add PoW to the major clunker list, and Repentence...either big hit or big miss depending on my mood.  But editing it down and removing the clunkers, it is still one of my most listened to albums.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2016, 08:22:42 AM »
No time (or real desire) for explanations, but here is a quick ranking:

1A. Awake
1B. Images & Words
03. Scenes From A Memory
04. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
05. A Dramatic Turn of Events
06. Train of Thought
07. Dream Theater
08. Falling Into Infinity
09. Systematic Chaos
10. Octavarium
11. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
12. When Dream And Day Unite

Hard for me to rank The Astonishing, but definitely in the top half.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #99 on: October 26, 2016, 12:40:50 PM »
See, Hef knows how to do it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2016, 12:47:38 PM »
Yeah.  I mean, even though I've seen better, it's not a bad ranking.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2016, 01:17:16 PM »
Yeah.  I mean, even though I've seen better, it's not a bad ranking.
Thanks, boss.

My main criteria is consistency.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #102 on: October 27, 2016, 11:13:02 AM »
The Astonishing worst :rollin

Nah opinions opinions.

At least I ranked it.  Some people here don't even know how to rank it.   :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: October 27, 2016, 12:05:14 PM »
The Astonishing worst :rollin

Nah opinions opinions.

At least I ranked it.  Some people here don't even know how to rank it.   :lol

It's the greatest album ever written by anyone ever and without a shadow of a doubt - Dream Theater's crowning achievement ( crown, majesty, geddit ??)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2016, 01:36:06 PM »
 :rollin   The green text almost had me convinced.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White