Author Topic: David Gilmour solo work thread  (Read 836 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
David Gilmour solo work thread
« on: October 18, 2016, 06:42:14 PM »
I don't think it's fair that his solo stuff gets stuck in the Pink Floyd thread; it deserves a thread of its own!

Anyway, chilling and listening to Rattle That Lock right now. Such a great record. :coolio :hat

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: David Gilmour solo work thread
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 06:46:51 PM »
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=43359.msg1931607#msg1931607

It has only reached one page though so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Personally have only heard Rattle That Lock and On An Island, preferred the latter as it was a bit more chilled out.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 06:53:01 PM »
Both pale in comparison to the first one, from '78.  I LOVE that record.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 07:00:29 PM »
Hmmm, I even did a search and that thread never came up.  Oh well, that was for the new album and tour, and this one can be all-encompassing! ;)

I love the last two records the most, but I am very fond of the first one from 1978 as well.  Mihalis is such an awesome song, and There's No Way out of Here is pretty great.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 02:43:56 PM »
No one else?  Jeez.  :(

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 08:34:26 PM »
Loved Rattle that Lock and I was very lucky to see a show in chicago.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 07:12:52 AM »
Random observation: Rattle That Lock is one of my favorite album covers of the 21st century.  Love the look of it and the color scheme.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 11:41:59 AM »
Both pale in comparison to the first one, from '78.  I LOVE that record.   

Yes! That's my favorite solo record of his! It was weird hearing the solo from "What do you want from me" in there. I'm a huge fan of On An Island but rattle that lock didn't really click with me.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 11:46:39 AM »
Have not listened to RTL. On an Island doesn't do much for me. I've given it a couple honest spins. I only know 'There's No Way Out of Here' from his other solo work.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 03:43:17 PM »
Rattle That Lock should be right up the alley of any David Gilmour fan.  It''s not quite as mellow as On an Island, but I would say the quality is pretty similar; I go back and forth on which I prefer.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 03:08:13 AM »
I like On An Island way more than Rattle That Lock. It has that overall chill-vibe and it makes use of the Dark-Side technique of presenting sound effects in a kind of intro and letting them reappear over the course of the album. Gives the whole thing like a red line or cohesion. The album just flows perfectly.

Rattle That Lock has some wonderful songs, too. A Boat Lies Waiting has the beautiful vocals of Crosby and Nash. In Any Tongue and Faces Of Stone are those epic, sloooow hymns that only David Gilmour can create.
What I don't like about it though, is that almost all the songs get faded out. I have no problem if David takes 10 years to complete a new album. But can't he find some time to compose "real" endings for the songs in those 10 years? The album cover, however, is absolutely gorgeous, I agree.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 07:50:03 AM »
I LOVE Pink Floyd, and so do millions of other music fans. But, if I'm being honest, I have spent more time listening to the last two Gilmour albums over the past decade than all of the Floyd stuff combined.

In fact, to take that train of thought a step further, I think that On An Island and Rattle that Lock are probably my favorite two Gilmour-related releases of all time. I hold them right up there with Wish You Were Here and Animals.

I will add that, while Waters is the undeniable force behind Floyd, Gilmour is the only thing that really tethers me to much of their output.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 10:29:36 AM »
I can't say those two albums are that good, but I do agree that they are both pretty great.  I will take On an Island and Rattle That Lock both over any pre-Dark Side Floyd album.  Those two albums feel like what the follow-ups to The Division Bell would have been had they been Floyd records.