Author Topic: Greetings from a budding Dream Theater fan! :D  (Read 2335 times)

Offline Blind Faythe

Greetings from a budding Dream Theater fan! :D
« on: October 18, 2016, 06:25:56 PM »
Hey there! Allow me to introduce myself and my venture out to the Dream Theater world. My name is Kinkardine Prosser and my dad and brothers introduced me to the band Dream Theater. My dad is a huge fan of the progressive rock/metal world and so is my mom. I had fun listening to classical music and that grew to symphonic metal like bands such as Symphony X. I was listening to "The Walls of Babylon" on the Paradise album, doing my homework when my song ended. I assumed that Youtube would autoplay to another Symphony X song, but I was surprised when the song "Act of Faythe" popped up. Naturally, I was curious so I decided to listen to it and man, that song changed my life....well not really. :D

When the song Act of Faythe was blaring quite loudly on my speakers, my dad came in with a very shocked look on his face and was asking how the heck I knew about Dream Theater. I shrugged and told him that I didn't know about them and it randomly popped up. Anyways, after this song, I had to listen to more Dream Theater so my dad started me off with Images and Words and told me it was a Dream Theater classic, and my brothers helped me to find the right songs and albums and it all went well after that.

A week before my birthday, my dad bought me tickets for me, him, and my brothers for a Dream Theater concert. It was on May 10, 2016 at the Arlene Schnitzer concert hall in Portland, Oregon. Since I live near the Pearl District in Portland, it was super convenient for me. The concert did not disappoint and I loved every song they played (they played the entire act of Astonishing.) Their talent was amazing and Dream Theater has currently become my favorite band. My dad told me about this forums and told me if I wanted, I could register so that is why I'm here and that is how I found out about the band!

My favorite album at the moment is The Astonishing and my favorite song is my username. NOT Act of Faythe, but the other reference ;)

Cheers!

Offline pcs90

Re: Greetings from a budding Dream Theater fan! :D
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 06:33:48 PM »
Act of Faythe is definitely a unique song to discover DT with!
And excellent choices on favorite album and song... :P The Astonishing is my favorite album too, and Blind Faith is perfect...though I couldn't pick one favorite song...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 06:47:56 PM »
Welcome.

You're lucky, and it's rare to have two parents into progressive music, plus your siblings, too. Images and Words is definitely the best place to start. Where did you go next?

Offline Blind Faythe

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 07:00:55 PM »
Thank you! I never really thought about that as lucky. After Images and Words, I just went up the Dream Theater discography chronologically. So The Astonishing was the first, because I found out about it, then Images and Words, then Awake, then A Change of Seasons.....then I saved When Dream and Day Unite for the end. That was the only album in which I didn't really like. Only the production of it!

Dream Theater has surprised me many times with their songs.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 07:19:48 PM »
You should check out the live version of When Dream and Day Unite with James on vocals. It was a special concert they did back on March 6, 2004 in Los Angeles to commemorate the 15th anniversary of the release of the album. You can get it on their Ytsejam Records bootleg site. I'm sure you can probably check out YouTube to see if there are any clips from the show. 

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 07:56:20 PM »
Listen to Metropolis Part 1.
WDADR
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 07:19:01 AM »
Nice to hear about your journey of DT discovery! They're a great band and one of the most fun bands to be a fan of.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 08:19:41 AM »
Passing the good music from generation to generation  :metal

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 12:38:22 PM »
Thank you! I never really thought about that as lucky. After Images and Words, I just went up the Dream Theater discography chronologically. So The Astonishing was the first, because I found out about it, then Images and Words, then Awake, then A Change of Seasons.....then I saved When Dream and Day Unite for the end. That was the only album in which I didn't really like. Only the production of it!

Dream Theater has surprised me many times with their songs.

you'll fit in nicely around here with that kind of opinion lol

Offline Blind Faythe

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 04:13:53 PM »
Thanks guys for the welcome.

I listened to it on Youtube and I was amazed. It's not that I dislike When Dream and Day Unite...I mean, musically, it is an A grade, but production aside, is it a fantastic album. It's just so hard to decide a favorite album by Dream Theater, but I started off with The Astonishing, and it did not disappoint.

Anyways, thanks again.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 09:07:36 PM »
But you just said WDADU was the only album you least liked because of the production. Yet you are calling it an A grade and a fantastic album, production aside.

I don't get why its your least liked...."production aside"
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Mladen

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 10:26:54 AM »
Leaving WDADU for the end is a smart move. Good album, but a difficult one for various reasons.

Anyway, welcome aboard. That was a very nice story, it must be exciting to discover Dream Theater at this point. They released a marvelous album that was bound to attract young fans, and it's wonderful to see it's working.  :tup

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 10:50:00 AM »
Its interesting how TA is a hit or miss album. Either you love it and think its the bands best or one of, or you loathe it. For me,  it seems DT kind of lost their luster.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 11:08:30 AM »
Its interesting how TA is a hit or miss album. Either you love it and think its the bands best or one of, or you loathe it. For me,  it seems DT kind of lost their luster.

Hence your completely "forgetting" TA in your song ranking, right?

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 11:12:03 AM »
Its interesting how TA is a hit or miss album. Either you love it and think its the bands best or one of, or you loathe it.

Eh, not really.  I said right from the beginning that, although I'm not sure exactly where to rank it, it feels like upper middle of their discography to me.  That still feels about right.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 11:13:43 AM »
B. Lee XD right.

Bosk, are you still digesting the album?
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 11:16:22 AM »
No, not really.  I mean, I'm sure there are things I haven't discovered.  But I'm at a point where I feel I know it pretty well.  But I generally have a hard time ranking a DT album until close to or after the next album drops.  Maybe it's just me, but I feel like I need to distance myself from it a bit before I can really feel like I am comfortable with where it fits for me in the bigger historical context of the band's discography.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 01:01:07 PM »
Since she's new here, what DTF-specific info should we offer?

Scarred is simultaneously the most loved and most hated DT song ever.
If let go long enough, every thread will eventually turn to discussing Kevin Moore.
Your copy of Pull Me Under is broken.

What else?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 01:04:41 PM »
She must be introduced to the whahibrido pickingant thread.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 01:05:58 PM »
Very important, JP is the master of whahibrido pickingant:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45294.0

Also, TAC loves Winger.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 01:11:06 PM »
Try and steer her away from DT-side.  ;D

Blob secretly thinks he's a Transformer.

All the cool people hang out in the Time For A Drink and DTF Chat Thread.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 01:17:45 PM »
Huh, I thought all the cool people hung out in the Computer Geek and Disney Park Geek threads?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 01:20:27 PM »
Huh, I thought all the cool people hung out in the Computer Geek and Disney Park Geek threads?

Who are you?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2016, 01:22:27 PM »
♫ Who who!  Who who! ♫

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2016, 01:25:33 PM »

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2016, 01:45:27 PM »
You watch CSI??
What's your favorite season?
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2016, 02:00:38 PM »
I stopped watching after Grissom left. That was quite a while ago. I just started going through them all on Hulu, so I can catch up. I'm still on Season 1.  :lol

Offline Blind Faythe

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2016, 02:51:24 PM »
I'm sorry, I'm very confused right now.

Offline Blind Faythe

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2016, 02:54:38 PM »
Leaving WDADU for the end is a smart move. Good album, but a difficult one for various reasons.

Anyway, welcome aboard. That was a very nice story, it must be exciting to discover Dream Theater at this point. They released a marvelous album that was bound to attract young fans, and it's wonderful to see it's working.  :tup

Ah yes. Honestly, Act of Faythe is one emotional song and it is super catchy. I ended tearing up when I first heard it. It was so unlike what I've heard!

If let go long enough, every thread will eventually turn to discussing Kevin Moore.

What else?

Scarred? Really? Why do you say that?

And honestly, I thought something was wrong with Pull Me Under too, but my dad says that the cut was intentional. He also gave me a speech of how my generation was having it all easy and how back in his day, they didn't have Youtube and had to go to record shops and yada yada.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2016, 02:57:36 PM »
I stopped watching after Grissom left. That was quite a while ago. I just started going through them all on Hulu, so I can catch up. I'm still on Season 1.  :lol

Ah, so after season 9? Yeah, it was bound to happen. The show for me too also started going a bit downhill.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2016, 02:58:48 PM »

What else?

Because Kevin Moore. Of course.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2016, 03:00:38 PM »

What else?

Kevin Moore was fantastic on that song. Personally, the lyrics were mediocre. The only part I like from Scarred is that nice back to back solo between Moore and Petrucci and that ending! THAT ENDING!!!!!
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2016, 03:00:43 PM »

Tends to happen quite a lot here (staying OFF topic)  ;D

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2016, 03:03:09 PM »

I win. :lol

For some reason that song elicits reactions of either strong hate or strong love. No middle of the road, it seems.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2016, 04:10:09 PM »

That'll pass. Just remember that by the end of the page, the topic has usually changed. Then one of the mods comes in and flashes this. :offtopic:  Then we stay on topic again for a few more posts but wind up drifting back to Kevin Moore or whahibrido pickingant or something about King's misspellings or Coz doing kickass drunken solos.

Following?

Ah, so after season 9? Yeah, it was bound to happen. The show for me too also started going a bit downhill.

I don't even know who is in the show anymore. Or did they have their final season already?