Author Topic: Phil Collins doing three shows in London, Paris and Cologne  (Read 1524 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Phil Collins doing three shows in London, Paris and Cologne
« on: October 17, 2016, 11:13:33 AM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37676505

Doesn't sound like he's gonna come to the US. That said, I think I would rather want to see him as part of Genesis anyway.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: Phil Collins doing three shows in London, Paris and Cologne
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 04:59:46 PM »
I would see him if given the opportunity but truthfully, I wouldn't be too excited unless it was with Genesis.  So far I can't get into most of his solo work. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 05:24:19 PM »
I'm not sure I want to see him anywhere now.  I remember seeing clips of the Genesis tour from a decade ago and his voice was not very good then. And now he's nearly a decade older. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 09:05:53 PM »
I'm not sure I want to see him anywhere now.  I remember seeing clips of the Genesis tour from a decade ago and his voice was not very good then. And now he's nearly a decade older.

Not very good? 

Sure they had to tune down but it sounded fine other than being a bit lower.  In fact, Phil still had a ton of energy which is remarkable especially considering the health issues he had after the tour.  He has been using a cane lately and can't drum anymore but considering I've never seen him live, I wouldn't miss it.  Afterall, this isn't Ozzy that just croaks through a song tuned down 15 steps.  I'm sure he can still put on a show.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 01:24:15 AM »
Love his solo stuff and the live band he usually have are tight. The "Finally... The First Farewell" concert dvd is amazing. Would love to see him.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 07:31:51 AM »
Just put that on. His live concerts are always so tight. I don't even want to know what the audition process is for the brass section.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 10:10:33 AM »
Can't lie:  bummed that he's not going to drum.  He is one of three guys (Peart, Portnoy) that I go to literally watch him drum.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 05:42:23 PM »

Not very good? 

Sure they had to tune down but it sounded fine other than being a bit lower.  In fact, Phil still had a ton of energy which is remarkable especially considering the health issues he had after the tour.  He has been using a cane lately and can't drum anymore but considering I've never seen him live, I wouldn't miss it.  Afterall, this isn't Ozzy that just croaks through a song tuned down 15 steps.  I'm sure he can still put on a show.

Yes, not very good, based on the clips I saw.  Talking about just his voice, not his energy.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 07:46:48 PM »

Not very good? 

Yes, not very good, based on the clips I saw.  Talking about just his voice, not his energy.

I would seek out the 2007 live in rome dvd with the documentary.  Aside from being an excellent documentary showing how to put a huge show like that together, you realize what a strain that is on some aging rockers who haven't really played together in 15 years.  They even show the moment where Phil realizes he can't hit some of the notes like he used to (I believe while they were rehearsing In Too Deep).  Maybe that makes me more forgiving of his voice losing a step (imo, a small step) but after watching the dvd a few times and listening to the live companion album, it might not be my go to for a genesis album (except for the excellent setlist), but I find it more than ok to listen to.

If you do give it another go, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 07:53:22 PM »
You kind of hit the nail on the head there.  Aging rockers still trying to sing often comes off poorly, and I find that I am far less likely to watch those live DVDs more than once, which is why I stopped buying some of them.

For example, Peter Gabriel's Growing Up live DVD is nearly as awesome visually as Secret World Live (which is one of my favorite live DVDs by anyone), but his voice is far better on SWL (since it is a decade earlier), so I will almost always go for that one, unless I am in the mood to turn on Downside Up just to be awed again. :biggrin:  His voice isn't bad on GU by any means, but it sounds a bit strained more often than not, while it still sounds stellar on SWL.

And despite the awesome set lists on both, I almost never watch the last two Rush live DVDs, because Geddy's voice is too difficult to take for any duration.