Author Topic: Kee Marcello - Scaling Up  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Lepprador

Kee Marcello - Scaling Up
« on: October 14, 2016, 07:41:28 AM »
Kee Marcello - Scaling Up

A much needed sleazy glam metal (think Europe, Dokken, Ratt, Extreme) fix.

Kee Marcello is one of the very few guitar players having such an outstanding tone that is only surpassed by the likes of George Lynch or Gary Moore.
The latter once said something like: " 90% of tone  comes from the fingers and not from amps or effects.

For people who like the Out Of This World and Prisoners In Paradise albums (underrated because too commercial, but still masterfully executed), Scaling Up is a worthy follow up.  The song quality is stronger than on PIP but not as marvelous as on the OOTW album.
Joey Tempest was easily the better singer, but Kee does a great job and it's coming through very clear how Kee was the main songwriter for the two albums he did with Europe.
Compared to Joey Tempest, on the last few Europe albums, the voice of Kee Marcello is much easier on my ears. And there is still much speaking for the songwriter singing his own song. 

His riffs have the needed dirt, that many bands of the genre so painfully leave to be desired.
I dare to say the instrumental performances (tightness,soundmaking, grooving departments) go beyond everything Europe has ever recorded. Like on Kee's Europe albums guitar and bass make love.

It's overtaxing my imagination how a person can't be floored by listening to this album from the first song to the orgasmic closer. That's how you end an album.

Offline Lowdz

Re: Kee Marcello - Scaling Up
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 12:07:46 PM »
Looking forward to giving this a go as PiP made my top 50. I rate it a lot higher than OOTW, or any other Europe album.

And yes, he's a decent guitarist.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 06:20:34 PM »
I have his REH instructional vid somewhere on VHS :lol

Great guitarist but have never liked him as a solo songwriter/singer much so cautious about this album.  Will certainly check it out though as I want him to do well.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 06:41:12 PM »
Better tone than Gary Moore??
Please recommend something that has better tone than Gary Moore?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 02:18:11 AM »
It's our friend Leprador from the last Def Leppard album launch. He is given to hyperbole  :biggrin:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 03:49:10 AM »
So is the first track meant to sound exactly like I'll cry for you?
Is it based on his original demo or is he just taking the piss?

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 05:48:45 AM »

No, It would be crazy to go that far, but I wrote Kee is only surpassed by a few including Gary Moore.

I'm looking forward reading what impression you guys are having from listening to this album.

And, yeah, sometimes, very rarely, I tend to see things in a better light than they really are, but never in the case of Def Leppard.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 11:25:11 AM »
Sorry, wasn't the first track that sounds like I'll Cry For You, it's the third track. Shuffled on Spotify.

Listening now. It's ok but he's not a good enough singer to lift this anywhere near his Europe albums. Enjoying it though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 06:24:24 PM »

No, It would be crazy to go that far, but I wrote Kee is only surpassed by a few including Gary Moore.

Oh, I see now. Sorry for misreading.

Anyway, I am in no way familiar with the guy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 07:20:45 PM »
He did the blazing solo on the Europe track in the 1988 podcast.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 07:31:26 PM »
Yes, I remember you mentioning his name. I'll have to go back and listen. Europe never did much for me. I had a copy of The Final Countdown (not sure if that was the name of the album). I made a copy of the album at the radio station. Saw them open for Def Lep in '88. Would Kee Marcello been in the band then? What about John Norum?

I must say the highlight of the show was Ben describing Yngwie's solo. :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 07:36:08 PM »
Yes, I remember you mentioning his name. I'll have to go back and listen. Europe never did much for me. I had a copy of The Final Countdown (not sure if that was the name of the album). I made a copy of the album at the radio station. Saw them open for Def Lep in '88. Would Kee Marcello been in the band then? What about John Norum?

I must say the highlight of the show was Ben describing Yngwie's solo. :lol

:smiley:

Norum departed midway through The Final Countdown tour , so yes Marcello would've been there when you saw them.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 02:48:10 AM »
He did the blazing solo on the Europe track in the 1988 podcast.

That john Norum can't play...

I really enjoyed his live solo on the FF tour. Flight of the bumblebee was cool.
Although I was a big norum fan at the time, and I was happy when Europe got back together, I kinda wish they'd got back with marcello as I've struggled with the tone of the newer albums, War of kings aside

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 04:03:07 AM »
I'm not too happy with the direction Europe took with the last few albums. It's not bad, but it somehow feels forced.

Regarding the third track Don't Miss You Much:
Yes, the main theme is too close to Cry For You to be unintended.
Wild Child and How To Love No More are tracks Kee wrote for PIP.
That says something about the direction Kee was shooting for.
I'm sure you know how strange songs can come together.
I can only guess, but maybe originally Don't Miss You Much was the song Europe took the hook from an wrote a new song around or Kee wanted to establish a connection to his Europe phase for the new album and took the Cry For You theme and wrote a new song around.

No doubt, Kee doesn't have the voice Joey Tempest had in his prime,
but he sings passionately and soulful.
Listen to how bass and guitar interact, what sound they create. You don't get it that good everyday anymore. 

Pro question: Am I hearing bells in the very end of Blow By Blow ? Around the 6.16 mark or is it an acoustic fata morgana ?