Author Topic: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Final results are in....  (Read 76760 times)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Hang Time!
« Reply #630 on: December 05, 2016, 05:46:39 PM »
Ok, first draft of write ups done. Tomorrow I'll give one more listen then, tweak, edit, score and post  :corn

That will be at least 22-24 hours from now though.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #631 on: December 06, 2016, 01:41:04 PM »
two :soon: luke

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #632 on: December 06, 2016, 04:19:43 PM »
Right, I've only just sat down to be able to get on this shit.

I'm gonna give a final listen then post results. This will probably take about an hour and a half so  :corn away.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #633 on: December 06, 2016, 04:37:05 PM »
more like  :hat away

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #634 on: December 06, 2016, 04:57:22 PM »
Whatever's your poison  :xbones

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #635 on: December 06, 2016, 05:32:50 PM »
:jamaritard::jamaritard::jamaritard::jamaritard::jamaritard:

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #636 on: December 06, 2016, 05:34:35 PM »
SO. CLOSE. YOU. CAN. ALMOST. TASTE.............

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #637 on: December 06, 2016, 05:55:19 PM »
Sorry for the wait guys, here we goooooooooooooooooooooooooo……………

Splent: Samuel Barber – Adagio for Strings

Turns out I do recognize this song, or at least parts of it. I’m sure it’s been on numerous adverts here in the UK (and probably in a few films too). I know I have stated that I like classical pieces but if I’m honest, most of the music I listen to like this is usually orchestrated versions of video game music. I’m not sure if I prefer that because of the nostalgic and emotional link to the original source material. There’s something about hearing my favourite video game music played in an epic and more organic way that I really dig. That being said, I’ve even gotten into orchestrated versions of video game music that I’d never even previously heard, so there is no connection there. Anyway, that doesn’t really make my feelings for this song any clearer. I mean, I like it. It’s by no means bad but I just find it a little too somber for my tastes. I’d prefer a little more rise and fall. It goes on a little long and just doesn’t really have epic, goosebump type moments for me.

5/10

Elite: Mr. Bungle – Ars Moriendi

A friend of mine lent me a Mr. Bungle album (not this one) years ago and I never really got into it. I knew to expect some weird shit that might feel like a bunch of ideas thrown together, which is kind of what this is. It mixes some national folk music (I’m guessing) from some country with the odd heavy guitars/drums and also some electronic samples. I feel it’s almost like it’s being weird for the sake of being weird, which I don’t see the point of. There are brief parts I like but for the most part it just feels chucked together for the sake of it and to make something completely unlike anything else. Maybe I just don’t ‘get’ it, I dunno. I love the splicing of genres but this really doesn’t work for me. None of the ideas feel like they are given enough time to develop.

5.5/10

Tomislav95: The Gathering – Broken Glass

I wasn’t sure what to expect from The Gathering after hearing that this was the band that Anneke Van Giersbergen started out in. This song has a serious trip-hop vibe to it, which I certainly wasn’t expecting. The only real trip-hop I really like is Portishead to be honest. This has a nice feel to it but I prefer the style of vocal from Anneke that I have heard with Devin Townsend or something. I know that style wouldn’t necessarily work with a song like this but it’s all I’ve really know of her. This song was ok but nothing more for me I’m afraid.  In a certain chilled mood I’d listen to this but I don’t feel the urge to listen to this sort of thing often. I’d play it if I was relaxing with my girlfriend as she’d probably like this more than me.

6/10

Stadler: Deep Purple – Seventh Heaven

I can’t say that I’ve ever had the urge to check out any Deep Purple. Everyone knows Smoke on the Water and I actually really love Highway Star. This was a little bit heavier than I expected it to be, it was a nice surprise. This also doesn’t feel as dated as I expected it to either. I guess it is always a risk sending a big name that isn’t on my (or anyone’s) banned list as it means I’ve likely heard them and never wanted to hear more. It also means people may have preconceptions, as I did with Deep Purple. The lyrics and vocals aren’t particularly great but I enjoy the music a lot. I actually might give the album a go one day (although I’m likely to forget about it for quite a while before that happens).

6.5/10

WebRaider: Jolly – The Pattern

The first few times I listened to this I’ll admit that nothing really went in and stuck with me. I remember thinking that it sounded like something that I would like, but I don’t remember what any of it actually sounded like. This was maybe not the best sign. I definitely like it, vocals check, guitars check, drums check. It just doesn’t grab me by the balls and I’m not entirely sure why. This round has been another fairly strong one and I guess this was just up against tough competition.

6.5/10

Shadow Ninja: I the Mighty – Psychomachia

I’ve never heard of these guys and they sound like some sort of pop punk that I have listened to in years gone by (and still do at times). The chorus is catchy and I find it entertaining. I haven’t really listened to any new music in this style for a number of years so this is quite nice. I prefer the clean vocals in this I must admit and would rather not have the harsher vocals at all. They strike me as one of those bands that teenage girls (and boys for that matter) would fall in love with and become their gateway band into other alternative music. It was pleasant enough but I’m not sure I’ll check them out any further. I found this song quite hard to score actually.

7/10

Parama: The Hirsch Effekt – Cotard

First off, I love this album cover, it’s fucked up but cool looking. The vocals at the beginning (German?) kind of sound like they are being sung in reverse at a few points, which is kind of strange. There are parts where the heavier guitars sound a little Meshuggah influenced.  I like the repetitive lead guitar parts that go along-side the vocals. I like the heavier guitar breakdown part with the accompanying blast beats. I think the whole song goes on a bit too long for me however. It has a lot of the musical parts that construct something that I should really like but it falls down somewhere. I do really like the use of the horns towards the end (I really am a sucker for that sort of thing) but it doesn’t quite do enough to save this. I think maybe it is the length of the song that is harming it for me. I’d still likely check out the album though.

7/10

Scorpion: Orphaned Land – Ocean Land (The Revelation)

Another band I’ve become aware of, due to DTF, but not listened to. So I like the eastern influences at the start of this. The harsh vocals don’t quite do it for me in this song. This whole song just has solid written all over it for me. The guitar solo starts really well though and I like it quite a bit. Yea, this is no more than solid for me I’m afraid, I don’t have a great deal to say about it, which is a shame.

7/10

Sacul: Indukti – And Who’s the God Now?!

I’ve not heard of these guys before but although I wasn’t surprised to find out they were from a country where English isn’t the native tongue, I was surprised to discover they were Polish. This has a real tribal feel to it. This is mainly down to the percussion and the chanting style vocals in places. I think that this song may be another that suffers from being a little long, for me at least. It’s interesting for the most part and doesn’t get boring. I like the harsher vocals on this song and they contrast well when they are included. The vocals remind me of Serj Tankian at times and I do like them quite a lot. They are probably the high point of the song for me. The last minute of the song could probably have been cut for me. I mean, if it’s the album closer then I can see it working but as a stand-alone song, not so much. It is different and I can always respect that. Is this a standard representation of their sound I wonder?

7.5/10

Home: Maybeshewill – Opening/Take This to Heart

Love the piano intro to this. Together with the backing vocals it really reminds me of a part in ‘The Moon – Awake’ by The Dear Hunter. Actually it’s so similar that I’m not entirely sure TDH haven’t stolen it. I’m not sure if you intentionally sent this as you knew I’m a fan of TDH or it was coincidence but either way I like it. After the ‘Opening’ part of the song it does feel less TDH and I enjoyed it a lot. I like the use of the strings, when they are fairly subtle, at points here. This intrigues me and certainly makes me want to hear what comes next as we have no vocals here at all so I feel it’s all building to something. As a stand-alone piece I don’t think it’s the best you have sent but it makes me want to check out the album. That in itself is a job well done. In the context of the album I’m sure it’s even better. This also grew on my quite a lot actually.

8/10

Train of Naught: Intronaut – Fast Worms

Really love the vibe of this right from the off. It’s possibly the best song you have sent so far. The intro part has some serious Gojira vibes but then throws in some clean vocals that gives a slightly more Mastodon-esque feel. I love the more mellow, breakdown part that starts at 2:58. I think this is a song that is massively helped by the video for me. It’s weird as fuck but the Dolphin-man has this nice picture perfect dream of life with his girl during the mellow part of the song and it’s all beautiful. There’s some really cool bass lines throughout this and it feels really interesting. Then at 5:57 the heaviness of the beginning of the song comes back in (which is a real highlight) and our Dolphin buddy is brought back to the harsh reality that he is just super wasted. It’s really cool. I know you played me another song of this same album in one of the plug sessions but I think you made the right call sending this one. The instrumental part kinda makes it for me.  Definitely gonna check out more. Also, I think the best video so far.

8.5/10

Scar: Kamelot – March of Mephisto

You have been the most inconsistent in this roulette so far Scar but when you have gotten it right you’ve nailed it. This is a perfect example of you nailing it. I’ve been aware of Kamelot for years but it was after I kind of stopped listening to power metal. I always assumed this was just another standard power metal band (maybe they are). I have seen this album garner a lot of praise on DTF though so I’ve been more inclined to give it a spin recently. I’m really pleasantly surprised here. It has that epic, medieval sound to it (as you’d expect with a name like Kamelot). I love the vocals a lot in this, the melodies are great. But it is also backed by some great musical passages. The chorus is just so cool, I love everything about it and it raises this from being a standard song to something pretty awesome. I was quite shocked to see Shagrath from Dimmu Borgir featured on this song. I will basically be checking out this album soon, good work.

9/10

Scores

12. Splent - 5.5+6+9.5+5.5+5=                  31.5
11. Elite - 6.5+7.5+5.5+7+5.5=                  32
10. Stadler - 7.5+7.5+5.5+5.5+6.5=           32.5
9. Shadow Ninja - 5.5+5.5+7.5+7.75+7=    33.25
8. Scar - 9+4+6+5.5+9=                            33.5
7. WebRaider - 6.5+6.5+8.5+7.75+6.5=     35.75
6. Tomislav95 - 7+7+9+7.25+6=                36.25
4. Train of Naught - 7.5+6.5+8+8.25+8.5= 38.75
4. Sacul - 7+9+7.5+7.75+7.5=                  38.75
3. Parama - 6.5+9+7.5+9+7=                    39
2. Scorpion - 9+8+7+8.75+7=                   39.75
1. Home - 8.5+8+8+7.75+8=                     40.25

Things are looking interesting.

Don’t send for the next round yet guys. I will post a little bit about what I want for the next round tomorrow and how the round will work (including bonus points).

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:07:55 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Re: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Round 5 Results!
« Reply #638 on: December 06, 2016, 06:19:46 PM »
I intended to send that Kamelot song for a later round lol...  well at least I know some of the things I've intended to send you really liked! Me =  :loser: :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #639 on: December 06, 2016, 06:23:47 PM »
Fair enough yeah I just like songs in that time range the most generally

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #640 on: December 06, 2016, 08:52:47 PM »
;D
Oh man, I agree. My consistency had been so wack. I'm glad you enjoyed this song.:tup
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #641 on: December 06, 2016, 10:38:27 PM »
This is probably the worst I've done in any roulette ever, but you not liking Bungle is unacceptable :(
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #642 on: December 07, 2016, 01:06:12 AM »
This is probably the worst I've done in any roulette ever, but you not liking Bungle is unacceptable :(

I dunno what to say dude. I know what it feels like to do badly in roulettes  :lol I think you've been pretty unlucky in that you've sent stuff that by all accounts I should probably like, but they've just missed the mark.

I'm waiting for that 9/10 from you.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #643 on: December 07, 2016, 02:02:14 AM »
Great!

Yeah, the video is just as good, if not better than the song itself :lol it's one or my favourite music vids ever.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #644 on: December 07, 2016, 03:07:09 AM »
When I was playing that The Gathering song on plug.dj everyone seemed to like it :/ you're the first who didn't :D but ok.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #645 on: December 07, 2016, 07:56:12 AM »
I kind of figured. For many it's either a 5 or a 10 song. That song always makes me want to cry.

I'll send harsh noise next.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #646 on: December 07, 2016, 08:33:56 AM »
Wowa, never made that TDH connections but I can see where you are coming from. Pretty confident I'm going to screw up my score in the following round though  ;D
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #647 on: December 07, 2016, 09:42:17 AM »
I intended to send that Kamelot song for a later round lol...  well at least I know some of the things I've intended to send you really liked! Me =  :loser: :lol

That must suck dude. Yep, at least I got to hear it I guess  :lol

Fair enough yeah I just like songs in that time range the most generally

I suppose it was only letting it down a bit for me. I suppose the risk is that longer songs may just take longer to click for me.

;D
Oh man, I agree. My consistency had been so wack. I'm glad you enjoyed this song.:tup

It really has been, send more like this, it's that simple  :lol

Great!

Yeah, the video is just as good, if not better than the song itself :lol it's one or my favourite music vids ever.

The video is just brilliant and definitely helped me enjoy the song more  :metal

When I was playing that The Gathering song on plug.dj everyone seemed to like it :/ you're the first who didn't :D but ok.

I didn't really dislike it, it just didn't do a great deal for me and I think I expected something slightly different, maybe that was it.

I kind of figured. For many it's either a 5 or a 10 song. That song always makes me want to cry.

I'll send harsh noise next.

Certainly appreciate the risk taking. Harsh noise will be just fine  :tup

Wowa, never made that TDH connections but I can see where you are coming from. Pretty confident I'm going to screw up my score in the following round though  ;D

Yea, I didn't make TDH connection until about the third listen, it's really similar though! You've been really consistent dude, a slip  up would be understandable at some point  :corn

OK, so themed round next.........

I know some of you are really not looking forward to this but buck up, it's all in good fun  :corn

I used to be massively into wrestling in my late teens and enjoyed all aspects of this great form of entertainment. Wrestling in the late 90's/early 00's was full of metal/rock band intro tunes. I was introduced to some good (and not so good) bands in those years. Stuff like Rob Zombie, Creed, Saliva, Kid Rock, Drowning Pool etc. I mean, a lot of the best intro themes weren't even actual songs by bands, they were written specifically as intro themes. I always loved that so many of these intros could give me goosebumps and give a big surge through a whole crowd.

I guess that the secret of a great intro is something that is distinctive, hits the ground running and is bombastic. Something like Stone Cold Steve Austin's intro was great, it started with breaking glass, the instant you heard it you knew what was coming. On the flip side you had stuff like The Undertaker whose intro started with a more ominous bell tolling and sounded like a funeral march. Anyway, I digress.

What I essentially want is something that describes your personality/attitude if you were a wrestler (just humour me  :lol). It doesn't have to be a specific style of music, it can be whatever you want. For anyone who has never watched wrestling and has literally no idea what a wrestler entrance theme is like I can post some links.

Feel free to participate fully in this themed round or half ass it, that's up to you. However, I will be handing out a few bonus points.

1. The first bonus point will just be for what I consider to be the best wrestler entrance theme. That doesn't mean I will necessarily like the song the best, I'll just think that it fits the theme best.

2. The second bonus point is where this gets even more ridiculous  :lol. When you all submit your song I want you to also tell me your wrestler name and gimmick. This can be as stupid or weird as you like as I will give a second bonus point to whichever 'wrestler' I think has the best name and gimmick. As an example, in the 90's there was a wrestler called Brutus the Barber Beefcake  :lol his gimmick was that he was a barber and he would have matches where whoever lost would get their hair shaved off. This was in the early 90's when wrestling gimmicks were all tongue in cheek and before the 'Attitude' era of Stone Cold, The Rock, DX etc.

3. The third and final bonus point will go to whoever's entrance song and name/gimmick compliment each other the best. This may be a hard one and if I was you I may not worry too much about it. I'd probably pick my song first then try to create some character gimmick around something in the song, but what the hell do I know.

Ok, I'm prepared for there to be a few questions about this round, or a mutiny  :lol (also, out of curiosity, have any of you ever been wrestling fans?)

I can link some examples and explain anything about wrestling to anyone who has no clue what is going on here.

Good luck, I think you will all need it  :corn
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:49:47 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. IF YA SMEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.........
« Reply #648 on: December 07, 2016, 10:11:08 AM »
I'm going through all my music on spotify and picking out tracks that could work but it's hard to find a perfect one :lol I'll give it some more thought.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. IF YA SMEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.........
« Reply #649 on: December 07, 2016, 10:24:40 AM »
I am honestly considering completely ignoring the theme tbh. I don't have the time or patience to figure out something I could send and even if I did I doubt it would be a song I'd ever send in any other scenario so I would absolutely be unhappy with it

so uhh sorry but no

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #650 on: December 07, 2016, 10:32:51 AM »
I am honestly considering completely ignoring the theme tbh. I don't have the time or patience to figure out something I could send and even if I did I doubt it would be a song I'd ever send in any other scenario so I would absolutely be unhappy with it

so uhh sorry but no

So your wrestler name is The Prophet of Apathy and your gimmick is undeveloped at this point as you can't be bothered, plus you hate fun and are a lone wolf. Hearing you loud and clear dude  :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #651 on: December 07, 2016, 10:42:58 AM »
I think the thing that bothers me the most is the two bonus points that have nothing to do with the quality of the song itself

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #652 on: December 07, 2016, 10:49:31 AM »
I think the thing that bothers me the most is the two bonus points that have nothing to do with the quality of the song itself

Yep.

Come on, it's not the end of the world. If you decide not to attempt the theme and send a 9/10 song anyway you still get 9/10! It's not like I'm gonna penalise anyone because I feel their song doesn't fit the theme.

I'm not gonna force anyone to participate, it's all a bit of fun  :corn

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: December 07, 2016, 11:04:20 AM »
I actually think this is a nice idea. Definitely adds some fun to the routine roulette process. :lol Different strokes for different folks though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #654 on: December 07, 2016, 11:45:52 AM »
yeah I'm allergic to fun I guess

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #655 on: December 07, 2016, 01:40:15 PM »
I know what I'll send but I have zero imagination for coming up with the name :D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline home

« Reply #656 on: December 07, 2016, 05:18:22 PM »
I think it's a pretty great idea for a round theme actually :azn:

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #657 on: December 07, 2016, 11:22:33 PM »
You all can hang it up this round. I'm coming for the championship and no one wants to get in my way!  :xbones

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #658 on: December 08, 2016, 06:20:14 AM »
Cheers guys.

So does anyone need any further information or links to examples?

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #659 on: December 08, 2016, 11:42:44 AM »
Just give me a 0 :lol

I should send some Enya. That would be a GREAT entrance theme :lol
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #660 on: December 09, 2016, 11:06:00 AM »
I guess I probably should send tho I'll do it tonight

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #661 on: December 09, 2016, 11:09:02 AM »
I only have two submissions so far  :lol

I really hope I can pick up the pace but with Christmas so near I have a feeling I won't be able to  :facepalm:

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #662 on: December 09, 2016, 11:20:59 AM »
Sent, went full meme with this one.

Offline home

« Reply #663 on: December 09, 2016, 11:34:09 AM »
Sent, went full meme with this one.
Sacul "dat boi" pleb-puncher: Oh shiit waddup!

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #664 on: December 09, 2016, 11:43:06 AM »
Nah that's a dead meme  :lol