Author Topic: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Final results are in....  (Read 77292 times)

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Round One Listening (Hangman)
« Reply #140 on: October 17, 2016, 10:29:04 AM »
Chimp Spanner song is Cloud City.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #141 on: October 17, 2016, 10:31:21 AM »
Asteroid is by Kyuss
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #142 on: October 17, 2016, 10:34:43 AM »
Guessed:

TORGXPEAIS

Home: *Shels - The Conference of The Birds
 :huh: Ei_o_a - T_e _o__ort _e _i__ I_ O_r _i_es
 :huh: In The Silence - Ever Closer
 :huh: Angels And Airwaves - Secret Crowds
 :huh: Kyuss - Asteroid
 :huh: And So I Watch You From Afar - Don’t Waste Time Doing Things You Hate
 :huh: Moon Tooth - Silver Gallows
 :huh: Chimp Spanner - Cloud City
Tomislav95: Dredg - Lechium
 :huh: In Mourning - The Smoke
Scorpion: Diablo Swing Orchestra - Justice For Saint Mary
Parama: El Drugstore - Enthusiastic Corruption of The Public Good

Luoto waits 1
Parama waits 2
Train waits 3

Just leaves one to go. I honestly wouldn't have had a clue.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #143 on: October 17, 2016, 10:36:09 AM »
Parama: Eidola - The Comfort We Find In Our Vices

:corn

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #144 on: October 17, 2016, 10:40:58 AM »
Well I know it but I've already seen it on the spotify playlist so I aint spoiling. Still, I would probably have gotten it at this point.

Going to take a guess at that long ass song title: Don't Waste Time Doing Things and Hate? dunno what that three letter word is supposed to be though
"you" seems pretty logical?
How the fuck did I miss that? :lol that's so obvious

Well I wouldn't possibly be able to poke fun as some of you guys are doing this in a language that isn't your native tongue!!!

Much respect.
To be fair nowadays I almost speak as much English as I speak Dutch :lol doesn't really feel like a foreign language anymore. Though I still ocassionally throw in random Dutch words while speaking English and the other way around by accident. Really need to get that out of my system, it's really awkward.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #145 on: October 17, 2016, 10:55:24 AM »
Eidola is Train obviously  ;D
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #146 on: October 17, 2016, 11:06:02 AM »
Oh right the names

Kyuss - Sacul
In Mourning - Elite
Angels and Airwaves - Scar
In The Silence - WebRaider
Chimp Spanner - Splent

I have no idea wow this might just be the hardest hangmanen round in terms of connecting people to the songs
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #147 on: October 17, 2016, 11:09:25 AM »
To be fair nowadays I almost speak as much English as I speak Dutch :lol doesn't really feel like a foreign language anymore. Though I still ocassionally throw in random Dutch words while speaking English and the other way around by accident. Really need to get that out of my system, it's really awkward.
I think you know English much better but it happens to me, too. I often can't remember what's Croatian word for something and then I have to translate English word to Croatian :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #148 on: October 17, 2016, 11:11:54 AM »
Parama: Eidola - The Comfort We Find In Our Vices

I'm already on the board you dolt   :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #149 on: October 17, 2016, 11:22:50 AM »
Oh right the names

Kyuss - Sacul
In Mourning - Elite
Angels and Airwaves - Scar
In The Silence - WebRaider
Chimp Spanner - Splent

I have no idea wow this might just be the hardest hangmanen round in terms of connecting people to the songs

You're 4 for 5 dude.

I'll update it in a bit.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #150 on: October 17, 2016, 12:31:04 PM »
Oh wow, was really only sure about Kyuss.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #151 on: October 17, 2016, 01:38:08 PM »
Guessed:

TORGXPEAIS

Home: *Shels - The Conference of The Birds
Train: Eidola - The Comfort We Find In Our Vices
 :huh: In The Silence - Ever Closer
 :huh: Angels And Airwaves - Secret Crowds
Sacul: Kyuss - Asteroid
Scar: And So I Watch You From Afar - Don’t Waste Time Doing Things You Hate
 :huh: Moon Tooth - Silver Gallows
Splent: Chimp Spanner - Cloud City
Elite: In Mourning - The Smoke
Scorpion: Diablo Swing Orchestra - Justice For Saint Mary
Parama: El Drugstore - Enthusiastic Corruption of The Public Good
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 01:52:17 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #152 on: October 17, 2016, 01:42:03 PM »
Angels and airwaves by shadow  and moon tooth by stadler?
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #153 on: October 17, 2016, 01:46:47 PM »
And So I Watch You From Afar - Don’t Waste Time Doing Things You Hate by Scar?  ;D
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #154 on: October 17, 2016, 01:48:05 PM »
Angels and airwaves by shadow  and moon tooth by stadler?

Sorry but incorrect. Also, I think there may be a chance I have put WebRaider next to the wrong song  :facepalm:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #155 on: October 17, 2016, 01:48:34 PM »
luke told me my score is down to 1.5 out of 58.33

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #156 on: October 17, 2016, 01:49:19 PM »
And So I Watch You From Afar - Don’t Waste Time Doing Things You Hate by Scar?  ;D

:lol
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #157 on: October 17, 2016, 01:52:34 PM »
I sent angels and airwaves actually

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #158 on: October 17, 2016, 06:55:14 PM »
Huh, I didn't know you liked them. Great song, too, though I probably woulda gone for Heaven.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: October 17, 2016, 06:57:03 PM »
sorry shadow i'm lying to you

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #160 on: October 17, 2016, 07:10:05 PM »
</3

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #161 on: October 18, 2016, 09:51:42 AM »
Results should be up within the next three hours, so sit back and  :corn

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #162 on: October 18, 2016, 10:12:43 AM »
Huh, I didn't know you liked them. Great song, too, though I probably woulda gone for Heaven.

I'm the guilty party.   I just think that chorus is so catchy and so... propulsive.  It's the song that got me into that band in a big way.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #163 on: October 18, 2016, 10:46:44 AM »
0/198

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #164 on: October 18, 2016, 11:08:38 AM »
0/198

I'll throw you a bone and give you a bonus point for guessing your score  ;)

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #165 on: October 18, 2016, 12:18:26 PM »

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #166 on: October 18, 2016, 12:19:28 PM »
 :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #167 on: October 18, 2016, 01:27:49 PM »
Round One Results..........................INCOMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shadow Ninja: In The Silence - Ever Closer

So this song starts with some great, heavy galloping guitars that I honestly think is the best part of the song. I didn't find anything that I particularly disliked about this song but also nothing that I really love. I mean it is all solid and enjoyable, I liked the vocals, liked the mellow parts, preferred the heavier parts. I find that I am struggling to really find much to say about it. I think it is just similar to other bands I listen to and doesn't do a great deal for me. As I said, it had some great heavy guitars towards the beginning but I felt it didn't go where I hoped it would, and this ultimately let it down a bit for me.

5.5/10

Splent: Chimp Spanner - Cloud City

This is another djent song that sounds great but doesn't do a whole lot for me. I guess I am quite picky with this style of music. I can't even say myself what I like, with this style, to be honest. It has some really cool melodic guitar leads but nothing I haven't heard before unfortunately. There are some nice bass sounds and all the pieces are there. If it was the first song I had ever heard in this style then I'm sure I would love it more but as it is, it's just pleasant but nothing more really.

5.5/10

Elite: In Mourning - The Smoke

So this song started really strongly with some Gojira style riffing which I liked. The harsh vocals are ok but not really my preferred style of growls, it didn't particularly take away from the song though. Musically it is definitely something that I was drawn to and the shift to the mellow section worked well. The clean vocal delivery wasn't bad but didn't do a whole lot for me. The song really picks up though at 5:05 and this part was my favourite of the song as it built towards the instrumental section. Overall it had some great heavy guitars towards the beginning but I felt it didn't go where I hoped it would.

6.5/10

WebRaider: Moon Tooth - Silver Gallows

This song is a really cool djent style song. I'm not a big fan of the vocals but the guitar sound was great. Kind of a standard sounding song for this genre I feel. I love the guitar, it is the main focus for me in this song. The guitar solo is good but something in the song is just lacking for me. The vocals don't do a great deal for me. There are a couple of times where this song has a Baroness feel, especially at 2:16. I enjoyed it but it didn't really leave me wanting more if I'm honest. Just a solid song overall.

6.5/10

Parama: El Drugstore - Enthusiastic Corruption of the Public Good

This song was really good and I loved the sound of the bass in particular. It has music that is right up my alley but I don't feel it's a particularly structured song, more a showcase of talent. It certainly made me want to listen to the album. It has heavy riffs, and is an all around great instrumental, maybe in the context of the album it will really shine but on it's own it is not something I would listen to over and over. I like the way that it speeds up and slows down in places.

6.5/10

Tomi mentioned about the weirdness of this video when he sent this and it is strange. I assume it's supposed to be like this. It adds a weird atmosphere to the song but I don't mind. I like the feel of this song. I'm not sure when this was released but it totally reminds me of Incubus, especially the vocals, and I can assume it was from the early 2000's. I like the vocals and although this isn't necessarily the sort of music I generally listen to, I like it. I don't have a great deal to actually say about the song and it's individual parts. I kinda like it all.

7/10

Sacul: Kyuss - Asteroid

I have always meant to check out Kyuss. When I first got into Queens of the Stone Age I read about Kyuss but along the way never got around to it. I was eager to listen to this. I already had a preconception that this would be desert rock/metal and harness a certain sound. As it is, it has a perfect, dirty feel to the sound which I love. You look at the album cover and this is the sort of music you expect. I was waiting for vocals the whole way through this song but I don't think it's really lacking without. I liked this song a lot but felt it as a total cock tease of a song. For instance at the 2:00 mark it all goes quite and I was bracing for crushing guitars but it kept me hanging on. It seriously has a great feel to it, I love the sound of the bass. This song made me want to check out the album more than any other song in this round but unfortunately as a stand alone song I felt it a bit lacking. I love how it speeds up at the end, but I want to hear what comes next!! In the context of the album I'm sure this works better but on it's own, less so, at least for me.

7/10

Stadler: Angels and Airwaves - Secret Crowds

This one was hard to score for me. As a huge Blink 182 fan I have become a bit pissed off with Tom Delonge and how he has acted over the past. I have tried to listen to Angels and Airwaves a few times over the years but nothing ever really stuck. When they were promoting their first album Tom was comparing themselves, as a band, to U2. This instantly turned me off as I really don't like U2 so I never even listened to them back then. So anyway, to the song. I have always been a fan of Tom Delonge's voice, he's got a very unique sound but I could also see why people may not like it. From the get go I was kind of biased towards this and was conscious to not hold my feelings for Tom against the song. It has a really nice anthemic chorus that actually gave me goosebumps on first listen. It also has a few musical flashes where this sounds like it could be a Boxcar Racer (one of Tom's other bands) song, which I loved as I love the Boxcar Racer album. Nothing about the song itself is particularly groundbreaking but I like it a lot as it is. It's nice to hear something new (to me at least) with Tom's voice that I really like. The lyrics aren't exactly great but it works for me. I mean, part of me just wants to like this and if it was anyone else performing this song maybe it would score way lower. Anyway, I enjoyed it and will need to get a few albums I guess.

7.5/10

Train of Naught:  Eidola - The Comfort We Find in Our Vices

So I didn't find much that particularly stuck out to me the first time I listened to this song. This was probably the one that grew on me the most. It has a great energy to it and I like the vocal approach. It has interesting guitar leads that don't distract me too much from the vocal delivery. It has a good mix of what I look for in this type of music and reminds me of some of my favourite bands, I really like the noodley guitars that bring to mind something like The Fall of Troy. It has some great moments, especially at 3:11. It's hard to put your finger on what makes those musical moment so great but that is one, for me. It has a kind of power that comes from a vocal that goes from weak to strong whilst the music mirrors it. Also love the album art.

7.5/10

Home: *shels - The Conference of the Birds

This was one of the songs that stood out on first listen (it was actually the first song of the roulette I listened to).  I liked it a lot on first listen but it also grew on me. I think it has a great atmosphere to it and builds really well. It kinda reminds me of Agalloch at times, although with less black metal elements obviously. It has minimal vocals in it but I find it works, I didn't miss the vocals when they weren't there and welcomed them when they were. When it comes in with the heavy section at the 4:30 minute mark it is just perfect for me, it then kinda mellows again but you just know it is building to another climax. It totally delivers, as you have an unexpected use of trumpet which adds an almost wild west feel to it. I love stuff like that, completely out of left field but works so well. This is accompanied by another heavy section with the trumpet still blaring away. You have some growls at the end but they are purposefully in the background and don't overpower the end. I don't know if this band use trumpet in all their songs or if this is just a one off but I will sure as hell be finding out.

8.5/10

Scar: And So I Watch You From Afar - Don't Waste Time Doing Things You Hate

So I think that it is safe to say that this song was probably the biggest surprise of the round. I had heard a song called 'Run Home' by ASIWYFA thanks to the 'Discover Weekly' Spotify playlist (I swear it's the greatest thing ever) which I remember liking. This song however, is nothing like it, in the best possible way. It's this crazy 7 minute instrumental (apart from some chanting vocals at the end). I must admit that I love it and this is exactly the sort of thing I love at the moment. It's quirky, it has unexpected twists and turns, it defies genres and it has a surprising array of musical instruments (including cow bell!!). It has some really groovy bass, this song had me tapping my feet. Lots of cool parts that I felt were held together well within the structure of the song. So it starts just guitars, bass and drums in a fairly minimalist way, then you get this great heavy section with some weird siren kinda noises in the background before going back to the stripped back band. There is a really cool echo effect on the guitars, which sounds beautiful, at this point. The song then starts to build with more melodic guitar and reaches it's climax at 3:30. The full band come in and it just sounds large, would love to hear it live. We then have the cow bell, which just works so well to my ears. I can't help but move to the song at this point, it's really infectious! This song never seems to out stay its welcome and I enjoy it all the way through, every time. I have also realised that they are currently touring the US with RX Bandits (who I love), so for any of you guys who live in the states, check them out if they are playing near you.

9/10

Scorpion: Diablo Swing Orchestra - Justice for Saint Mary

This song, wow! So on first listen I enjoyed the instrumentation and the vocals but couldn't help thinking "I would really prefer this if it was an accompanying a full band." As it went on I continued to enjoy it but felt that if this was all it had to offer then I wouldn't be expecting it to grow on me. At about 5:10 it teases that it may go in a slightly heavier, darker direction, but doesn't (I was initially quite disappointed). But then at 5:46 it DOES get darker and heavier. Oh boy, it sounded perfect. It was just what I wanted from the song and all I was hoping for. Then it goes all dubstep and has a kind of Prodigy vibe which, although isn't necessarily the sort of music I listen to a great deal with, worked well in my book. I felt that it took to long to build and I was initially losing interest but my god was the climax worth it! I have no idea if this is how they sound all the time or something a bit different for them. Either way, I can't wait to hear more.

9/10

Rankings:

11. Shadow Ninja
11. Splent
8. Elite
8. WebRaider
8. Parama
6. Tomislav95
6. Sacul
4. Stadler
4. Train of Naught
3. Home
1. Scar
1. Scorpion

So this round, as I mentioned before, was a fairly mixed bag. There were some really cool sounding songs in this round that I felt may have felt better in the context of the album they came from. The upshot for me is that I now wish to listen to the full albums to see how the songs do fit. The downside for the guys who sent said songs is that it effected your scores as the songs themselves didn't quite work for me on their own.

Send for round two guys!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #168 on: October 18, 2016, 01:34:50 PM »
tied with Parama omg :corn
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #169 on: October 18, 2016, 01:56:48 PM »
tied with Parama omg :corn

Who knew this world could have such twists and turns  :lol

I've also updated the banned list everyone and moved all the punk/ska/reggae bands into a separate list so it might make it slightly easier to navigate the main banned list.

Probably not though  :loser:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Round One Results Mofos
« Reply #170 on: October 18, 2016, 02:01:58 PM »
well that's better than I expected

next round I'm gonna send

uhh I had something in my word doc but I forgot

also I did relistened to that dso album recently and the closer is pretty good yeah, also that shels song is also pretty good too yeah, ok

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #171 on: October 18, 2016, 02:07:16 PM »
Good to see that the AIWYFA song is different than Run Home, I got that one on my discover weekly as well and couldn't stand it. Might give that band a second chance with this song then.

Classic Train of Naught song gets 5.5 wtf :corn considered sending a song from the new In Mourning album glad I didn't :corn

Kind of expected a higher score after seeing that I was ranked 4th but that's life I guess, I'm glad you are not too generous with scores, I know I felt like I've been too generous especially in my first roulette but I can work with this.

Want to send for round 2, the band is not on the banned list but I remember recommending songs of theirs to you, not sure if you listened yet. Can I just send you what I was planning and you reply to me whether it's allowed?

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #172 on: October 18, 2016, 02:07:51 PM »
well that's better than I expected

next round I'm gonna send

uhh I had something in my word doc but I forgot

also I did relistened to that dso album recently and the closer is pretty good yeah, also that shels song is also pretty good too yeah, ok

I honestly enjoyed it, it just felt like it was the sort of track that would be better appreciated in the context of the album. You tell me, am I on the money?

Actually, you said it was a free download on their bandcamp? I'll just download it and see  :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: October 18, 2016, 02:09:33 PM »
I dunno if there's really any context to be had on the album honestly  :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #174 on: October 18, 2016, 02:14:49 PM »
Good to see that the AIWYFA song is different than Run Home, I got that one on my discover weekly as well and couldn't stand it. Might give that band a second chance with this song then.

Classic Train of Naught song gets 5.5 wtf :corn considered sending a song from the new In Mourning album glad I didn't :corn

Kind of expected a higher score after seeing that I was ranked 4th but that's life I guess, I'm glad you are not too generous with scores, I know I felt like I've been too generous especially in my first roulette but I can work with this.

Want to send for round 2, the band is not on the banned list but I remember recommending songs of theirs to you, not sure if you listened yet. Can I just send you what I was planning and you reply to me whether it's allowed?

Honestly, check out this song by ASIWYFA. Scar nailed it, at least for me, it's really cool.

I didn't want to be too generous as a 10/10 should literally rank as one of the best songs I have EVER heard!! I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't even give out a 10/10 during the entire roulette, it has to be something truly spectacular. I mean I loved the two songs that got a 9/10, I mean REALLY loved, but if I had given them 10/10 and then an even better song had been sent later it would cheapen the better song.

If the band isn't on the banned list then I haven't listened to them properly. Send what you were planning and if by some chance I missed it off the list I'll let you know  :biggrin: