Author Topic: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Final results are in....  (Read 76777 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Twosuitsluke's First Ever Roulette v. Hangman Junkies!
« Reply #1190 on: February 20, 2017, 11:49:03 AM »
I don't even have home's ep and haven't listened to the others yet but I might get on that tonight

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1191 on: February 20, 2017, 07:35:02 PM »
train's ep:
this godspeed you black astronaut song is better than i remember them being
nice trainsition into voluntary memery
it's an ok song, maybe my 6.5 or whatever was a touch low but i wouldn't rate it much higher than like, 7 or 7.25
i really do not like the vocals on this avatar song. musically it's alright. has like a slight circusy thing going on but only just barely. you'd probably have gotten cut if you sent this to me in my roulette
that trainsition was a bit abrupt tbh
this is a lot better than the last song. i might revisit it at least one time. the black peaks one, i mean, that one
uhh i think this is the hacride song now but there was like literally no tranisition & if not for the audio quality changing i wouldn't even have noticed
hacride always feel kinda difficult to get into and this one doesn't have the stuff that i liked about lazarus but it's ok. like i said i'll prob get around to this album eventually, maybe
this is a looot different from the novembre i'm familiar with. i like it, i guess
oh okay i guess that fadeout is where the songs change. i hope it's not like that on the album because it's pretty sloppy lol
this is a pretty solid outro. except it feels more like an opening track tbh. i could see it building up to something but no, this is the end

honestly i think you went a little overboard on the crossfades & i'd have preferred if each of the songs had more room to breathe but it's a pretty cohesive ep for sure. i might relisten to it.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1192 on: February 20, 2017, 08:14:27 PM »
scorp's ep:
this is the best song off the schizoid lloyd album and i'll gladly relisten to it. sorry luke, if you like this one, the rest of the album isn't that great
wow, sexy transition
this is like #3 on the album imo behind the opener and closer suite but it's still pretty great
that maudlin song... exists, i dunno. i know too many of the songs on this EP already tbh
like this ezpz one. this album was alright. the non-metal stuff tended to be better than the metal stuff though. this was prob the worst song i sent to train, or close to it. but it's still pretty great. also you cheater you included like 15 seconds of the next track.
that last transition is just kinda rough but that's a hard ending to transition out of so i'll accept it
this sgm song is a lot better than the one i was sent. mostly because it has, like, melodies and emotion and stuff, wow. also that's... weird as an ending song, it kind of anticlimaxes

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1193 on: February 21, 2017, 01:27:37 AM »
This godspeed you! black astronaut album is quite a bit heavier/darker than the others, you might like it. It's actually becoming my favourite GIAA album, the title-track especially is amazing.

Yeah, the Black Peaks>Hacride transition was kind of an impulse decision, I noticed how the former ends very abruptly and the latter starts very abruptly so I figured what the hell let's try this shit :lol I would have really liked it if not for the awful quality drop cause it's almost seemless.

The Novembre tracks are not followed by each other on the album, Onirica is #7 and Outro is #10. I don't like how Onirica ends on a fade-out either, especially because it ends on such a high. So I decided to add Outro to it, which I love as an outro, kinda gives me a great gig in the sky feeling. Their catalogue is quite varied, and this album is mostly classic deathmetal with some prog elements

Oh and don't worry, I wouldn't send you the Avatar song in a million years :P

As for your EP's:

Parama, already know pretty much everything on here. I really want to listen to that Antlers album, that song is solid but I'm not sure  like it enough to justify its duration. Djakninn is epic of course, great closer too. I personally think there's a lot of better Thrice songs to pick from, but I guess this one does fit into the EP pretty nicely. Bird of Sorrow is not nearly as good as I remember from when I heard it, and the Eight Bells is a fine opener, great catchy chord progression on this one.

Scorpion, pretty similarly, I already know a fair portion of the songs here. I still really like Suicide Penguin, in my head it was way shorter though, like 4-5 minutes. :lol  Unfed Pendulum is still great, I like how it doesn't go overboard on the craziness but is still very out there. I heard the motW song here for the first time and it's my favourite on the EP, really cool stuff and will look into them more. EAPZ song is still fine but I don't like it too much. Opposite to Parama, I think their metal/math core side is superior to their more melodic side. Not a big fan of the SGM song and kinda feel like it's not worth 9 minutes, but it at least shows some middle ground, as I know SGM can be crazy as fuck and really offputting, but this one is alright on that aspect.

Home (made this EP on Spotify myself so don't have any official transitions), I literally know 5 out of 7 tracks by heart here and have heard the first track before. :lol I like the use of GIAA, especially Suicide By Star which is a better closer than I would've thought. I would personally have ordered the songs differently though, Compendium being #6 and Voluntary Slavery either #5 or not on the EP at all (don't know, I kinda feel like these two tracks don't fit in the EP as well but they're still awesome songs). The Solstafir song is pretty chill and is a good fit, still gotta check out that album some time. I have nothing against Sleep Party People but never really got into that album that much, it's good relaxing music though. Reminder to check out We Made God too, I really like II but never heard any other songs.

Sorry there's no structure in these write-ups at all, just wanted to throw out some thoughts
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1194 on: February 21, 2017, 01:29:57 AM »
Honestly, I share most of your opinions. We'll have to agree to disagree on The Ferryman, because that's a beast of a song, but EAPZ was a last minute substitution because the song that I had initially planned in that slot had already been sent in this roulette and I suck at reading, and I like it, but that transition is my least favourite.

Salt Crown being less crazy than some of the preceding stuff and closing the EP on a "calmer" note was intended and I think it works pretty well - like at the beginning you have all this instrumental craziness, and then at the end it feels a little burnt out and is just unfocused anger (especially on Seeds) before just breaking down on Salt Crown.

Also, I have heard no other Schizoid Lloyd song - I only remembered this one from when Elite sent it to me - no comment on whether this is the best song on the album or not.

scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1195 on: February 21, 2017, 01:30:53 AM »
screw you wake is perfect  :tup

though having the context of the album does help it a fair bit. especially having two shortly before it and epilogue right after it, aaggh

also bird of sorrow is still great so bleh to you

edit: scorp to be fair one listen of a song generally isn't enough for me to judge and it's not like the ferryman was bad or anything, just felt very there

also citizen herd off the schizoid lloyd album would be great if not for its absolutely abysmal instrumental break tbh, the rest is just... kinda forgettable, as in, i forget what most of it sounds like lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1196 on: February 21, 2017, 02:18:51 AM »
I like how we're all reviewing each others EPs here while our host is still listening to them. :lol

I've got my final exam today, so I'll probably post a couple of short reviews tomorrow or something, I just haven't had the time to listen to your guys EP very actively.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1197 on: February 21, 2017, 10:11:40 AM »
God, today was my busiest work day in a long while and it's not set to change anytime soon  :yeahright

I might just copy and paste your reviews (improving on the grammar obvs) then score. Might be the only way to get to this soon, such a busy few weeks.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1198 on: February 21, 2017, 10:23:47 AM »
take your time
(coming home)

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1199 on: February 21, 2017, 12:48:50 PM »
I would personally have ordered the songs differently though, Compendium being #6 and Voluntary Slavery either #5 or not on the EP at all (don't know, I kinda feel like these two tracks don't fit in the EP as well but they're still awesome songs). T
I kind of regret not making a completely atmospheric EP, it would probably be pretty nice to listen to while studying. But I'm  pretty curious what Luke will think of Elder so yeah...

God, today was my busiest work day in a long while and it's not set to change anytime soon  :yeahright

I might just copy and paste your reviews (improving on the grammar obvs) then score. Might be the only way to get to this soon, such a busy few weeks.
Just take your time man! I think we all prefer good write-ups that took a bit longer :azn:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1200 on: February 21, 2017, 03:32:19 PM »

Just take your time man! I think we all prefer good write-ups that took a bit longer :azn:
Definitely this. Take all the time that you need - real life always comes first. :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 03:56:41 AM by Scorpion »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1201 on: February 21, 2017, 11:45:03 PM »
home's ep of epness:
this we made god song is still pretty solid, yeah
i'll get this solstafir album one day. some day. this is nice. very nice.
uhh that sleep party people song happened. didn't really leave... any impression at all tbh
oh, this is off the god is an emperor album i do have, and the last song is too. ok. so uhh i guess i know the rest of the songs left here now  :lol
that transition into elder was rough
also this is still prob my favorite elder track tbh
one does not simply escape from voluntary slavery
i do not recognize suicide by star, like, at all. welp.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1202 on: February 22, 2017, 10:07:28 AM »
I'm at work tonight so I can probably make a start with write ups. Still not sure on which EP is my fave, we'll see how the write ups take shape. There are 24 of them to do though so I'll try to do them all justice.

This has been a great experience but it has taken up more time than I thought. Damn you all and your great musical tastes :getoffmylawn:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1203 on: February 22, 2017, 10:33:49 AM »
sorry for all the garbage

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1204 on: February 22, 2017, 10:38:32 AM »
One mans garbage is another mans unlistenable pile of drivel.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1205 on: February 24, 2017, 04:10:11 PM »
I'm ready for tibdits this weekend  :corn

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1206 on: February 25, 2017, 10:04:49 AM »
Ok, I'll do my best, watch this space. Life is still kicking my ass though. My Dad's wedding was yesterday, I have a review meeting for my current job role and a interview for a new job next Tuesday to prepare for. Plus I'm going up north Thursday to spend a few days with family. I'll do write ups where I can though  :biggrin:

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1207 on: February 27, 2017, 02:48:31 PM »
Ok draft write ups for 3/4 EPs done. I really need a rest before doing the last one though! Once the bulk of the writing is done it will be easier to finish this. Sorry for the wait guys.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1208 on: February 27, 2017, 03:23:23 PM »
post every song review from worst to best and do one a day

Offline home

« Reply #1209 on: February 27, 2017, 03:23:35 PM »
Hyyype, and the wait is completely understandable.

Also tidbits once the drafts are done? :azn:

post every song review from worst to best and do one a day
That would take ages ::)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1210 on: February 27, 2017, 03:32:08 PM »
yeah I want it to last forever

My songs would be gone within a week anyways

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1211 on: March 02, 2017, 02:18:50 AM »
This week has been manic guys. I'm now off for 6 days, I'm going up to visit family and go see Bonobo with my brother and girlfriend. I'm staying with family, coming back Saturday and going out for my friends surprise 30th. Sunday is a free day though so I'm hoping to get these results up then!! Thanks for your patience, it'll all be over soon  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1212 on: March 04, 2017, 06:45:14 PM »
It's Sunday in the UK now  :corn

end my suffering

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1213 on: March 05, 2017, 10:58:11 AM »
Wouldn't you know it, today has been a bitch of a day.  I have two job interviews (tomorrow and Tuesday) and I've had car troubles today. I've got to try and get it seen asap and prep some more for my interviews. I wanted to do a final listen today, score all the songs and then do a write up (and score) based on the flow of the EP. Unfortunately that's not gonna happen today. I'm hoping for some time Tuesday afternoon.

Once again, thanks for your patience guys and I'll try to get this up when life cuts me some slack.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1214 on: March 07, 2017, 10:27:29 AM »
I'm scoring all the EPs so I can post the 4th place EP tonight. It's definitely coming  :tup

I'll then try to post the others by the weekend.

Offline home

« Reply #1215 on: March 07, 2017, 10:29:18 AM »
Looking forward to seeing my EP tonight  ;D

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1216 on: March 07, 2017, 10:42:39 AM »
Looking forward to seeing my EP tonight  ;D
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

Online twosuitsluke

There's the good 'ol DTF optimism  :lol

Offline Tomislav95

I know it won't be mine :neverusethis: ... wait what? ... :emo:
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I mean I'm 4th on the leaderboards so I could have the best EP and still rank 4th if everyone else sent good EPs too :P

Online twosuitsluke

I mean I'm 4th on the leaderboards so I could have the best EP and still rank 4th if everyone else sent good EPs too :P

Yea, pretty much. You and home are joint third so we'll see how that turns out for you  :corn

I should have results up in the next 30 minutes  :tup

Offline home

Hyyyype  :omg:

Online twosuitsluke

So bringing up the rear is the man himself,

The Sergeant of the Parama Corps

Parama: EP Title: The Pause Between Words

Eight Bells - Hating

This song is probably my least favourite here. It has a slow, doomy feeling to it but I honestly don't find it that interesting. It sounds almost like a Ghost song sung by a female. I could imagine Papa Emeritus singing on this. I find it a strange choice as a opener but you obviously like it. It probably could of ended a good minute or so earlier as well. Not terrible but just doesn't do much for me.

Score: 6.5/10

Thrice - Words in the Water

I've tried Thrice a few times over the years. This is definitely one of the best songs I've heard by them and my favourite track on the EP. The vocals are just the sort I like and they blend emotion, grit and sincerity. This is another great example of the sort of song I like to sing my heart out to. This is quite a simple song really and it is really the vocal that wins this over for me. The chorus is just great and it burrows deep in my brain and massages that part only music can. Great choice of song honestly dude. You've had much better luck sending me this style of song than you have with any kind of metal to be honest. I'm really going to check out more by these guys.

Score: 8.5/10

Glen Hansard - Bird of Sorrow

This song, ha. I've heard so many of you bang on about this as it has obviously become one of those roulette songs that does the rounds. Turns out I already knew it as my Dad has this on CD and lent it to me ages ago. This is ok, I honestly don't get the extreme love it gets. It reminds me of David Gray to start with (which doesn't surprise me as my Dad loves David Gray). It's not really my sort of thing although it's quite a nice listen. I do love songs where you can really hear the passion and it's sung in a way that makes it sound like it was just done on the first take. When he is singing/screeching "I'm not leaving." it gets you right in the feels but ultimately, other than sounding quite nice (and full of real emotion) I don't really connect with it. That's just unfortunate for you really dude as it seems most people love it. I'm just not one of them. That being said it is powerful.   

Score: 7.5/10

The Antlers - Wake

Another (of many) band that I'm aware of. This is nice and really soothing. I don't have much to say about this really. It drifts along until the 6 minute mark where this song finally starts to take flight and soar. I like the last few minutes of this but it feels like it takes way too long to get there. I would put it on when chilling with my girlfriend but it is not really the sort of thing I could see myself ever craving to listen to.

Score: 6.5/10

Solstafir - Djakninn

So finally we get to Solstafir. I first read about these guys in Metal Hammer magazine about 2 years ago. I thought they sounded really different and interesting, I still do. I was looking forward to hearing them (and luckily got them twice in this round). I love the echoey guitar  intro, it just sets this up really well. I like songs sung in a foreign language, I like they way different languages can change how a song feels and how words sound. The use of words and accent make it feel so much more unique. I think you said that this is just like one long jam session, which it kind of is. It has a bit of a blues or country feel in parts and feels quite organic. I'm not sure how representative this is of their overall sound but I am intrigued to find out. It is a good choice to round off this EP but not quite enough to save it.

Score: 8/10

Average Score: 14.75/20

Flow: 2.5/5

Total Score: 17.25/25

Grand Roulette Total: 85.5

Unfortunately dude you were out first. Your EP felt, to me at least, to me the most inconsistent of the EPs and the overall flow wasn't as good as the others. The Thrice song was the highlight and possibly the best song of the whole EP round. I'm sure you had a theme to this round but honestly this felt like a collection of songs that weren't really complimenting or flowing with each other. Some great songs but your low 'flow' score did let you down a bit. Two of the other guys sent their EP as one file with edits and fades. I don't think that approach would've saved the 'flow' score for this EP though. Thanks for being a great participant and giving me plenty of new shit to check out. It was a close run thing in the end (as you will see) so don't feel too bad.

Stand down soldier...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
yeah, well, whatevs man  :tup
wake is great tho
but I'm fine with the other scores tbh