Author Topic: THE WALKING DEAD - Season 7 - FULL DISCUSSION  (Read 23225 times)

Offline Mr. Ister

Re: THE WALKING DEAD - Season 7 - FULL DISCUSSION
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2016, 06:49:57 AM »
I thought it was a pretty messy episode tbh.  I don't know if it was editing, direction, or what, but it just seemed loose.  It was nice to have some plot development, and the Spencer scenes were pretty good, but nothing even came of the threat to Judith, scenes seemed rammed together, and it's been so long since we saw the Kingdom that the one guy's motives for attacking are pretty faded by now.  Also I thought the care bear moment at the end fell very short because, yes, aww evwybody's back together etc, but they're outnumbered like 200-15, and probably have 100 on their side at best with the Kingdom.  It just seems foolish and naive at this point, and it seems like they've learned nothing.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #176 on: December 12, 2016, 07:37:30 AM »
Ehh. You're certainty entitled to your opinion of the show, but this is a show about zombies based off a comic book. Not a dramatic adaptation of a Shakespear play. Sure, there are things that can be tightened up in the show but all in all for what this show is it's been perfectly fine for me. It's shaping up to have the obligatory 2 or 3 'filler' episodes (Tara centric was 1) and the rest are telling the story.

I think they've handled Negan perfectly, were able to take Rick to a sort of neutered state where he was wounded for a bit but now he's ready to go and have done enough to show that there are communities that if they banded together could stand up to the Saviours.

Again, as with most things....whether or not you enjoy this show depends on your expectations from it. I'm not expecting Oscar quality acting or Tom Clancy type storytelling. I just want to watch a show about zombies with cool effects and some interesting characters. For me, I'm getting that.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online faizoff

« Reply #177 on: December 12, 2016, 08:15:46 AM »
Probably the best episode since the opener. I'll have to watch again but I thought they were making it look like the guy from the Kingdom who talks to Carol and Morgan was the guy who's boot it was at the ammo fort that Rick and Aaron find.

Interesting. I didn't piece that together. I'll have to take a look at that also.

On rewatching, it doesn't look that way. I sorta assumed it was because of the sign that says campers to stay out hence me making the jump to conclude it was the Kingdom dude.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2016, 09:25:33 AM »
Ehh. You're certainty entitled to your opinion of the show, but this is a show about zombies based off a comic book. Not a dramatic adaptation of a Shakespear play. Sure, there are things that can be tightened up in the show but all in all for what this show is it's been perfectly fine for me. It's shaping up to have the obligatory 2 or 3 'filler' episodes (Tara centric was 1) and the rest are telling the story.

I think they've handled Negan perfectly, were able to take Rick to a sort of neutered state where he was wounded for a bit but now he's ready to go and have done enough to show that there are communities that if they banded together could stand up to the Saviours.

Again, as with most things....whether or not you enjoy this show depends on your expectations from it. I'm not expecting Oscar quality acting or Tom Clancy type storytelling. I just want to watch a show about zombies with cool effects and some interesting characters. For me, I'm getting that.
I think it was generally a good episode, I just think things could've been tightened up a bit.
Throw them a rag
Whale!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2016, 09:40:26 AM »
Probably the best episode since the opener. I'll have to watch again but I thought they were making it look like the guy from the Kingdom who talks to Carol and Morgan was the guy who's boot it was at the ammo fort that Rick and Aaron find.

Interesting. I didn't piece that together. I'll have to take a look at that also.

On rewatching, it doesn't look that way. I sorta assumed it was because of the sign that says campers to stay out hence me making the jump to conclude it was the Kingdom dude.

Perhaps it's one of the chics from Oceanside scouting out Alexandria?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: December 12, 2016, 09:42:39 AM »

I think it was generally a good episode, I just think things could've been tightened up a bit.

I'm right there with you about the overall storytelling needing improvement. I've just come to grips with the fact that up to this point AMC has had no reason to address it due to their ratings. Even with the ratings hit they've taken this season they are still pulling in massive numbers. I just have resolved myself to the fact that we're probably looking at how the show is going to be, I don't see any drastic style or storytelling changes coming....and all in all, that's fine with me personally. I still enjoy the heck out of the show. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #181 on: January 27, 2017, 12:33:37 PM »
So since I avoided starting to watch season 7 because the ending of s06 made me lose interested and the whole Negan reveal felt meh imo. I thought it would be fun hearing what's you're opinion at this point. Is S7 worth it and is Negan a better character than my first impression off him?

If you can try to avoid any major spoilers I would be grateful.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: January 27, 2017, 01:02:06 PM »
Other than one episode (a character centric one) overall I enjoyed the first half. Negan is certainly a character that you either love or hate but all in all i think the show has done a fine job introducing him. Jeffrey Dean Morgan is doing a good job portraying him as well, it's near impossible to depict him exactly like the comic being that the comic has the luxury of more freedom in dialogue and does a great job of allowing the reader to 'fill in the blanks' concerning the how/what/why's of Negan and the Saviours. The television side is delving more into the details on that aspect and it seems to be dividing people.

As I've said several times in TWD conversation here.....it's all about expectations and what you're expecting from the show. I treat it as a zombie show and try not to get to in the weeds over small details which allows me to enjoy it more than some.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #183 on: January 27, 2017, 01:34:59 PM »
Think you'll get a different answer from everyone, MrBoom. :lol

For me, season 7 is ok so far, but a bit meh. And Negan is not a character I particularly engage with. JDM's acting is solid, lots of charisma, but the character is just a bit of a generic bully.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #184 on: January 28, 2017, 06:47:13 AM »
On a different note I find myself fairly indifferent to the return of this show in 2 weeks
Throw them a rag
Whale!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #185 on: January 28, 2017, 07:04:48 AM »
*snip*

For me, season 7 is ok so far, but a bit meh. And Negan is not a character I particularly engage with. JDM's acting is solid, lots of charisma, but the character is just a bit of a generic bully.
Can't say you guys conviced me very much.  :lol

Yea I probably will pick it up soon though, i'm still interested in some character arcs and how they eventually will wrap up the show.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: January 28, 2017, 09:16:28 AM »
*snip*

Can't say you guys conviced me very much.  :lol

Yea I probably will pick it up soon though, i'm still interested in some character arcs and how they eventually will wrap up the show.

If anything this season will be a good one to binge. Knock it out in a week or so....its getting tough having to watch these 'normal' shows after binging so many others on Netflix.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: January 30, 2017, 04:02:18 PM »
Just popping in to say that I thought the last two episodes prior to the break improved my opinion of this season. I even got on board (a bit) with Negan being scary as apposed to cartoonish. My interest is high enough to give it a chance when this season resumes.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: January 30, 2017, 04:22:27 PM »
Just popping in to say that I thought the last two episodes prior to the break improved my opinion of this season. I even got on board (a bit) with Negan being scary as apposed to cartoonish. My interest is high enough to give it a chance when this season resumes.

Those were solid episodes. Other than the Tara-Centric episode.....I thought the first half was really good.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: January 30, 2017, 04:45:20 PM »
Tastes, who knew?

I actually liked the Tara episode.  :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: January 30, 2017, 05:47:19 PM »
Tastes, who knew?

I actually liked the Tara episode.  :lol

Ha ha. My issue with that episode was that they could have accomplished the main points of that episode in two commercial breaks. Would have preferred it not to have been character centric. But whatever.....

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #191 on: January 31, 2017, 09:30:48 AM »
On a different note I find myself fairly indifferent to the return of this show in 2 weeks

I'm feeling the same, but that's because I have binged the first 4 and a half seasons of Game of Thrones over the past four weeks.  The production values on GOT and the high-caliber actors on that show have spoiled me silly, as much as I love Walking Dead. 

I've enjoyed Walking Dead season 7, but I'm also very patient.  I've read the comics.  I know that they're doing a bunch of world building.  "Here's a handful of different communities, and oh-by-the-way, they've all been affected by the Saviors."  If you have that many communities over a significant distance from each other, it shows that The Saviors are such a large group that Alexandria can't handle on their own.  It solidifies Rick's belief that they don't have the numbers in Alexandria to try and fight the Saviors, which is why he's let them run rampant over Alexandria to this point.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: February 12, 2017, 07:02:14 AM »
Second half of season starting tonight. I'm cautiously optimistic....

Online faizoff

« Reply #193 on: February 12, 2017, 10:19:08 PM »
Not a bad episode actually, decent enough setup which I get the feeling is going to lead to a series of more setups which will eventually end the season with a hint of impending war coming as the season finale cliffhanger without any real fight.

;D  sorry couldn't help myself...
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: February 12, 2017, 10:22:03 PM »
I'm curious as to who the leader of the junk yard gang is that has Rick smiling. It'd be someone he knew....of whom we should know?

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #195 on: February 13, 2017, 06:51:21 AM »
I think it's the still-reanimated head of Hershel, just sittin' there bouncing around...

My interest in this show is at an all-time low right now.  The advertising for this part of the season has conveyed the message it's going to be a big filibuster of getting other groups to join them in their Holy Fight versus the Saviors without anything of note actually happening.  They're obviously going to be saving the real conflict for next season.  Last night's episode was devoid of any substantial plot movement.  Gregory said no (expected), we had a 5 minute segment for the visual effects people to work off their boredom but that had no real impact on storyline, and then they finally at the end meet a new group which I expect will involve Gabriel.
Throw them a rag
Whale!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: February 13, 2017, 09:38:01 AM »
I think it's the still-reanimated head of Hershel, just sittin' there bouncing around...

My interest in this show is at an all-time low right now.  The advertising for this part of the season has conveyed the message it's going to be a big filibuster of getting other groups to join them in their Holy Fight versus the Saviors without anything of note actually happening.  They're obviously going to be saving the real conflict for next season.  Last night's episode was devoid of any substantial plot movement.  Gregory said no (expected), we had a 5 minute segment for the visual effects people to work off their boredom but that had no real impact on storyline, and then they finally at the end meet a new group which I expect will involve Gabriel.

Well to be fair the 'All Out War' storyline in the comic did span quite a bit of time, I'd actually be disappointed if they wrap it up all nice and neat by the end of this season. It was a pretty time consuming and larger 'war' in the comic.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #197 on: February 13, 2017, 10:30:28 AM »
I agree, but I have absolutely no expectation that they're even going to get into any aspect of it this season.  This season is just going to be about gathering forces, and some contrived conflicts along the way when doing so, to prolong the initiation of the war to next season.  They could easily start the All Out War in like ep 15 or 16 and get you invested enough in its buildup to come back for next year but nothing suggests to me that they will do anything other than make us wait until next year to begin at all.
Throw them a rag
Whale!

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #198 on: February 13, 2017, 10:44:07 AM »
My interest in this show is at an all-time low right now. 

That's where I'm at, and this was my favorite show on TV for the past handful of years.  I've binged all six seasons of Game of Thrones over the past few weeks, so it's hard to come back and watch this right now.  I'll keep plugging away and watching, but I'm not expecting to be terribly impressed, though I did enjoy last night's sequence on the highway.  That was pretty damn intense.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #199 on: February 13, 2017, 11:52:11 AM »
I'm curious as to who the leader of the junk yard gang is that has Rick smiling. It'd be someone he knew....of whom we should know?

He's not smiling because it's someone he knows. He's smiling because he thinks he's found his army to go against Negan. I don't see it going that way though. They keep showing communities under the control of Negan that will soon rise up and fight back, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's one group that sides with the Saviors in the upcoming war. I think that's what this new group will be.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #200 on: February 14, 2017, 04:26:34 AM »

He's not smiling because it's someone he knows. He's smiling because he thinks he's found his army to go against Negan. I don't see it going that way though. They keep showing communities under the control of Negan that will soon rise up and fight back, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's one group that sides with the Saviors in the upcoming war. I think that's what this new group will be.

That was my theory on the smile too. Rick is looking at fighters and numbers to recruit.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #201 on: February 14, 2017, 11:27:46 AM »
Good episode overall, but it got a little cheesy at times.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #202 on: February 15, 2017, 02:17:27 AM »
I agree, but I have absolutely no expectation that they're even going to get into any aspect of it this season.  This season is just going to be about gathering forces, and some contrived conflicts along the way when doing so, to prolong the initiation of the war to next season.  They could easily start the All Out War in like ep 15 or 16 and get you invested enough in its buildup to come back for next year but nothing suggests to me that they will do anything other than make us wait until next year to begin at all.
Pretty much agreed. This episode was decent as, like with most of the premieres and finales, there was more plot progression. But I'm fully expecting the pace to slow to a crawl again for the rest of the season.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #203 on: February 16, 2017, 05:01:53 AM »
I felt really annoyed when King Ezekiel turned down the offer to join forces, not for any reason other than - Oh God they are going to drag this shite out.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #204 on: February 16, 2017, 05:12:25 AM »
I felt really annoyed when King Ezekiel turned down the offer to join forces, not for any reason other than - Oh God they are going to drag this shite out.
Yep, same here. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: February 16, 2017, 06:53:40 AM »
Yep, same here. :lol

Well in all fairness, it gave us the Rick line to Daryl. "You could talk to him...or stare him into submission, whatever it takes."  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #206 on: February 16, 2017, 07:28:22 AM »
That reminds me... one thing I did quite like about this episode was that it was a bit more fun. For me, TWD just isn't deep enough to pull off being as slow and super-serious as it mostly was in 7a.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #207 on: February 16, 2017, 08:15:44 AM »
the music felt different in this episode for some reason.  I thought it complemented the scenes well and it seemed to stand out in a positive way whereas in the past I haven't even given the score a second thought.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #208 on: February 19, 2017, 08:23:54 PM »
it wouldn't surprise me if there's one group that sides with the Saviors in the upcoming war. I think that's what this new group will be.

Basically this. They're gonna realize it'd be easier to join with the Saviors and get the bigger share rather than Rick and get a smaller portion. They don't exist in the comic though, so who knows.
The new group is so damn cheesy. Broken English, Gladiator fights, and even their names. The fuck kinda name is Jadis?

This part of the story comes from Vol. 19: March to War, and god damn they are going to stretch it out. The season will no doubt end with the declaration of war from both sides and maybe 1 battle, but the war itself will be most if not all of S8.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: February 19, 2017, 10:47:27 PM »
The season will no doubt end with the declaration of war from both sides and maybe 1 battle, but the war itself will be most if not all of S8.

Which I'm perfectly fine with. I'd rather see them spend time on the 'All Out War' arc than try to cram it into the next six episodes.

Not sure what to think of the new group.