Author Topic: THE WALKING DEAD - Season 7 - FULL DISCUSSION  (Read 23226 times)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE WALKING DEAD - Season 7 - FULL DISCUSSION
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2016, 03:37:48 PM »
I'm a casual fan of The Walking Dead and watching it last night I didn't really like how long it took them to draw out the deaths with all the flashbacks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2016, 04:03:35 PM »
I'm a casual fan of The Walking Dead and watching it last night I didn't really like how long it took them to draw out the deaths with all the flashbacks.

Ehh....i think it worked out pretty good. If they'd have jumped right into it I don't know the same effect of Rick being emasculated would have been achieved.

(Not pointing finger at you in particular)  at this point you either enjoy the show for what it is or you don't. It's fair to criticize I suppose but if you watch the show only to look for things to critique and complain about then it seems like that'd be no fun.  There are things that big me about the show that bug me but all in all I still enjoy it greatly.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2016, 04:07:48 PM »

Ehh....i think it worked out pretty good. If they'd have jumped right into it I don't know the same effect of Rick being emasculated would have been achieved.
Though of course the effect would have been vastly enhanced by having it at the end of the previous series when we're all emotionally invested in the characters. The s7 premiere was a good enough episode but it had basically no emotional impact on me.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2016, 04:24:36 PM »

Though of course the effect would have been vastly enhanced by having it at the end of the previous series when we're all emotionally invested in the characters. The s7 premiere was a good enough episode but it had basically no emotional impact on me.

I like Metro's idea. They could have revealed Abraham as the victim at the end last year then hit us with the Glenn death in the opener. Either way, this episode was done well and achieved its goal of making the point that Negan is by far the most sinister person they've encountered and Rick has been completely broken by him.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2016, 05:19:50 PM »

Having not watched the premiere but reading on how everything unfolded I'm in agreement that the best course of action would've been to get it over with at the end of the last season and just let all of the fans stew in the shock of what happened, especially if it ended with a shot of Rick just looking completely helpless. A scene like that, in my opinion, has much more impact on a series in terms of how serious the showrunners take their jobs.

I'm shouldn't be too critical since it's over and done with but for a show that had been testing the patience of its audience throughout the last season they had a golden opportunity to make a seriously powerful ending and instead they opted to execute it in such way just so they could pump the "Who died?" promos and manufacture interest in a fairly lame way. I read an article  that made a good point that fans frantically trying to search for clues as to who the victims were going to be had gone through so many possibilities for six months that by the time last night's episode aired they were ready for pretty much anything so it lessens the shock of what could have been.

Online faizoff

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2016, 07:00:42 PM »
I've been feeling the same way, while I absolutely loved the episode and was very shaken up by it, I didn't have any emotional connection to the loss of the victims. I knew from the getgo for me personally I would not care who died at that point, it was just trying to see how they filmed it. Nevertheless I think I'm almost over the whole cliffhanger fiasco. I hadn't realized that season six was the season of the cliffhangers until I read a comment that mentioned 8 of the 16 episodes ended with a cliffhanger.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2016, 01:18:55 AM »
Well shit, that was some serious intense stuff.

Aside from the deaths, the thing that made it really hard for me was the foreboding with the axe, so many times I felt Rick was going to lose his 'right hand'.   

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2016, 02:41:40 AM »
I read an article  that made a good point that fans frantically trying to search for clues as to who the victims were going to be had gone through so many possibilities for six months that by the time last night's episode aired they were ready for pretty much anything so it lessens the shock of what could have been.
I imagine most fans looking for clues will have happened upon the leak which turned out to be spot on.

The other really silly thing is that the characters that were offed were the one who died at this point in the comics, and the other who should have died a few episodes ago based on the comics. So the whole "cliffhanger" was meaningless.

I'm not annoyed or anything - I don't feel that there was ever anything for me to "get over" (using the language that others have used) - but I'm simply less interested in the show now. I think I'm just a bit bored of their style of story-telling, and S6 was particularly disappointing in that regard (particularly highlighted, if it's right, by the fact that literally half of the episodes had cliffhangers).

EDIT: On a more positive note, by far the best bit of the episode was the scene where Negan was getting Rick to cut off Carl's arm. That was some tense shit.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2016, 03:53:18 AM »
^ Yeah that scene was really tense. And Andrew Lincoln's acting was really raw. That was great.

I didn't watch the entire episode, I skipped around a bit because I was curious what everyone was talking about. Abraham's death felt pretty mich completely impactless, but Glenn's was well done. It was a bit funny though how they got up and started talking after being hit like that, but whatever, it was still good.

Carl needs to get a haircut though. He just looks funny and it's hard to take anything seriously when he was on screen. It's like he's got the Samurai Cop wig on.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2016, 06:42:23 AM »
I'll be the odd man out here... I thought this premiere was pretty shitty. I feel like this show has finally begun to lose me.

1) The deaths were spoiled months ago, and have been a million times since. They came as no surprise. And in true AMC fashion, they continued to milk the fucking thing for an additional two commercial breaks. Abraham's peace sign to say goodbye to Sasha was a nice touch, as was the guy in the background taking a polaroid of what was left of Glenn.

2) I'm tired of Rick. First off. He and his people are on their knees in the middle of the woods, surrounded by 30+ dudes with semi automatic and fully automatic weapons, with Abraham's smashed in skull four feet away, and he looks Negan in the eye and says multiple times "I'm going to kill you"? C'mon. I get he's supposed to be badass and whatnot, but that kind of dialogue just seems silly and unbelievable. I understand that they needed to transfer power from Rick to Negan, and that was the point of that whole RV joy ride, but even that felt like a chore and forced.

3) Carl on the ground with his arm about to be chopped... Did anyone honestly think that was going to play out? I know Rick lost his hand in the comic at all, but they just took Carl's eye, no way they'd take one of his arms. That felt like a good waste of four minutes or so. Also, cut your hair, Carl. You look stupid.

4) Daryl. What the actual fuck? I get that he's Mr. Rebel and the guy who goes against the grain, but would anyone have really tried to pull what he just did? Abraham just had his head smashed in by a guy with a smile on his face and a barbed wire wrapped bat, while you're all surrounded by guys with guns, and not only do you move out of line, but you sucker punch the guy holding the bat? Come the fuck on. That kind of stuff drives me up the all. It doesn't feel real. It didn't feel emotional. It just felt like a bullshit move on the writers end'.

I feel like this show has lost all believability.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 08:00:06 AM by Chino »

Online kaos2900

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2016, 07:54:55 AM »
I'll be the odd man out here... I thought this premiere was pretty shitty. I feel like this show has finally begun to lose me.

1) The deaths were spoiled months ago, and have been a million times since. They came as no surprise. And in true AMC fashion, they continued to milk the fucking thing for an additional two commercial breaks. Abraham's peace sign to say goodbye to Sasha was a nice touch, as was the guy in the background taking a polaroid of what was left of Glenn.

2) I'm tired of Rick. First off. He and his people are on their knees in the middle of the woods, surrounded by 30+ dudes with semi automatic and fully automatic weapons, with Abraham's smashed in skull four feet away, and he looks Negan in the eye and says multiple times "I'm going to kill you"? C'mon. I get he's supposed to be badass and whatnot, but that kind of dialogue just seems silly and unbelievable. I understand that they needed to transfer power from Rick to Negan, and that was the point of that whole RV joy ride, but even that felt like a chore and forced.

3) Carl on the ground with his arm about to be chopped... Did anyone honestly think that was going to play out? I know Rick lost his hand in the comic at all, but they just took Carl's eye, no way they'd take one of his arms. That felt like a good waste of four minutes or so. Also, cut your hair, Carl. You look stupid.

4) Daryl. What the actual fuck. I get that he's Mr. Rebel and the guy who goes against the grain, but would anyone have really tried to pull what he just did? Abraham just had his head smashed in by a guy with a smile on his face and a barbed wire wrapped bat, while you're all surrounded by guys guns, and not only do you move out of line, but you sucker punch the guy holding the bat? Come the fuck on. That kind of stuff drives me up the all. It doesn't feel real. It didn't feel emotional. It just felt like a bullshit move on the writers'.

I'm glad I jumped off the ship.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2016, 08:02:05 AM »
For the sake of discussion I'm going to use your post Brian to speak about a couple points you make because they are common, valid points.

I liked those two small details as well. But as far as the spoiled deaths...I think the criticism is well deserved and AMC will have to wait and see what the true effect of that stunt is. If they lose a few million viewers I'm sure they'll stray from that type of 'milking' the fan base again. But if they don't lose many viewers from this approach then I doubt that will discourage them from trying something like that in the future. Personally, the 'cliffhanger' and subsequent aftermath didn't bother me all that much and honestly it looks like it achieved exactly what they wanted because the entire break between seasons was filled with speculation, articles...etc about it and kept TWD in the news loop.

I have to disagree here only because simply, that is Rick Grimes. In that moment I think he was in such shock that his response was his 'go to' mentality of what put them in that predicament in the first place....and that was.....he's "Rick Grimes Bitches". His default attitude of being invincible was just challenged and destroyed and I think he was so jacked up from it he really didn't know how else to respond.....that response and attitude had worked for him up to then and he was sticking to it. The subsequent ride with Negan and mind fuck with Carl's arm shaved the rest of that attitude away. I too thought the response was silly but it was completely in character IMO.

for a moment I thought they might but once Rick began to cry and wail I kind of figured Negan would stop him. That scene was intense IMO and a good way to end the entire encounter.

And Carl's hair is not his fault....blame the lazy producers who've said keeping his hair long saves them having to make him up every time for the eye thing...it's more simple to disguise with long hair.....but man, it's getting a bit shaggy.

Ehh....it's a show based of a comic. For me it's still entertaining and they're getting to a really good arc in the story. I guess by this point you're either in or out on the show.

Online faizoff

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2016, 09:31:50 AM »
No surprise with the ratings for the premiere.
https://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/25/walking-dead-season-7-premiere-ratings

Cliffhanger worked as intended.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2016, 09:41:57 AM »
No surprise with the ratings for the premiere.
https://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/25/walking-dead-season-7-premiere-ratings

Cliffhanger worked as intended.

Yep. Human behavior isn't too difficult to predict, especially if you're educated in it....which most advertisement folk are.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2016, 11:05:10 AM »
I don't watch the show anymore, stopped at S5, but I had to see what happened to Glenn via YT.

This came up in my feed today....

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2016, 11:11:29 AM »
 :lol I saw That one also. Those are funny.

What'd you think of the beating Glenn and Abe took?

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2016, 12:32:50 PM »
I think the attitude Rick had of "I'm going to kill you" is perfectly in line with him.  I caught bits and pieces of previous episodes during the marathon on AMC beforehand, and if you recall the S5 (?) premiere (Terminus train car escape) Rick and his buddies are in line to have their throats sliced and he tells Gareth "that's what I'm going to use to kill you" in reference to the red handled machete.  He was right that time, so it makes sense for him to be over-confident again.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2016, 01:05:38 PM »
I think the attitude Rick had of "I'm going to kill you" is perfectly in line with him.  I caught bits and pieces of previous episodes during the marathon on AMC beforehand, and if you recall the S5 (?) premiere (Terminus train car escape) Rick and his buddies are in line to have their throats sliced and he tells Gareth "that's what I'm going to use to kill you" in reference to the red handled machete.  He was right that time, so it makes sense for him to be over-confident again.

Yeah, exactly. I just think it was his default mindset and Negan noticed that and made sure to correct it.

There was another thing I noticed and that was Carl's face when Negan was beating Glenn. Everyone else was in 'shock' and noticeably fearful. Carl had a very angry and vindictive look on his face....most likely the same 'look' and thoughts that Rick had yet Negan either didn't notice or didn't care.

Comic readers know the story of what's to come with Carl and the relationship he and Negan ultimately end up having. I thought that was a nice gesture to the revenge Carl is going to seek.

Online faizoff

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2016, 02:30:58 PM »
Quick questions for comic book readers, is the Negan arc done in the comics or is it still ongoing? Also I know Glenn's demise was issue 100, what issue is going on right now?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2016, 02:40:46 PM »
Quick questions for comic book readers, is the Negan arc done in the comics or is it still ongoing? Also I know Glenn's demise was issue 100, what issue is going on right now?

The initial Negan arc is over, however Negan is still around. Latest issue I believe is #159.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2016, 05:54:31 PM »
Andrew Lincoln isn't a good crier, but it was a million times better than when Lori died. As far as the deaths, although I spoiled them for myself, they weren't any less disturbing and haunting.

Online faizoff

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2016, 05:19:38 PM »
Thought this was a good edit to last season's finale, would've ended on a much better note https://vimeo.com/188946137

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2016, 05:34:55 PM »
Thought this was a good edit to last season's finale, would've ended on a much better note https://vimeo.com/188946137

Yeah. They could have revealed it then but it certainly didn't hurt the ratings that they didn't. The 'cliffhanger' produced just what they intended. A summer full of speculation and talk and massive ratings.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2016, 01:05:50 AM »
This is the writing team of The Walking Dead we're talking about. They've proven for years now that they don't care about making quality entertainment.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2016, 12:23:01 PM »

The initial Negan arc is over, however Negan is still around. Latest issue I believe is #159.

I know they talk about stretching this show out for like 12 seasons, but honestly, the end of the upcoming story arc could be re-written into a satisfying series finale at maybe Season 9.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2016, 12:38:54 PM »
We watched the season opener the other night. About half way through, Mrs P. fled from the room wild-eyed and making little strangling noises. I laughed myself sick with the absurdity of the whole premise and the overacting.

Still, I'm interested enough to find out how Daryl deals with the guilt of getting Glen killed that I'll watch for a while longer.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2016, 01:10:29 PM »

I know they talk about stretching this show out for like 12 seasons, but honestly, the end of the upcoming story arc could be re-written into a satisfying series finale at maybe Season 9.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happened. From the teasing of possibly bringing in another arc from the comic WAY early....it appears they are trying to catch up with the comic very quickly....potentially to write a 'TV Ending' without compromising the Comic Book story?

If they are going to fit the entire 'All Out War' arc of the Comic into this season....that would make for one heck of a season!! If they are indeed going to introduce the Whisperer's this season...maybe in the last few episodes....that'd set up all of season 8 then. Which would mean the beginning of Season 8 is what....2, 3 years flash forward?

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2016, 01:45:15 PM »
I would say the episode and the resolution of the cliffhanger were about as good as they could have been given how they left it. I avoided spoilers between seasons so I didn't know who would die. Abraham would have been a very safe choice, one that I think wouldn't merit the stunt that they pulled. Glenn was a much more significant death, although considering that was his fate from the comic books and the fake death they had for him (one that incidentally probably led to a lot of fans like me finding out about his comic book fate when I wouldn't have otherwise), it also wouldn't really have been great if it was just Glenn that died after going to such lengths to raise the tension over the question. Doing the double death with both of those characters was good though. Honestly for the first 5 minutes or so I genuinely thought that it would be Michonne that died, which was my pick for the boldest character to choose. No offence to Abraham, but considering that he was clearly showing that he was willing to take whatever Negan dished out, and since Rick has lost many "good soldiers" before, his reaction wouldn't really make sense if it was just Abraham that died. Abraham followed by Glenn makes more sense though.

One thing I will say is that, when you consider the quality of the material that they produced across S06E16 and S07E01 - in terms of the directing and performances, the writing, the significant events that would happen - it is criminal that they managed to mess things up in the execution and earn such negative fan reaction. Including the lowest rated episode on IMDB (these ratings definitely don't tell you everything about the quality of the episodes, but they are good for seeing which episodes provoke a very strong positive or negative reaction from fans). The material was all pretty good, and judged as a continuous story, independent from the week to week and season to season format, it vould probably be considered a highlight. But the mentality of sacrificing the story for the sake of producing "stunts" hurt them. Maybe since the ratings for the premiere were good so they could call it a win, but I think that losing some fan enthusiasm and gaining a reputation for being a show that relies on gimmicks rather than quality to get people talking could hurt it in the long run.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 01:50:39 PM by RuRoRul »

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2016, 03:56:19 AM »

One thing I will say is that, when you consider the quality of the material that they produced across S06E16 and S07E01 - in terms of the directing and performances, the writing, the significant events that would happen - it is criminal that they managed to mess things up in the execution and earn such negative fan reaction. Including the lowest rated episode on IMDB (these ratings definitely don't tell you everything about the quality of the episodes, but they are good for seeing which episodes provoke a very strong positive or negative reaction from fans). The material was all pretty good, and judged as a continuous story, independent from the week to week and season to season format, it vould probably be considered a highlight. But the mentality of sacrificing the story for the sake of producing "stunts" hurt them. Maybe since the ratings for the premiere were good so they could call it a win, but I think that losing some fan enthusiasm and gaining a reputation for being a show that relies on gimmicks rather than quality to get people talking could hurt it in the long run.

Yeah.  It's odd those IMBD rating are low purely based on the cliffhanger, and the wait.   When people binge watch this show for the first time in the future, it will feel completely different for them.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2016, 04:16:43 AM »

Yeah.  It's odd those IMBD rating are low purely based on the cliffhanger, and the wait.   When people binge watch this show for the first time in the future, it will feel completely different for them.
I don't think it's that odd. Directing, lighting, acting etc. are all well and good but only go so far if there is a major failure of storytelling, which there was.

As you say, binge watching with no distinction between seasons would probably largely fix this problem. But that's not how anybody has watched it.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2016, 05:51:02 AM »
I would say the episode and the resolution of the cliffhanger were about as good as they could have been given how they left it. I avoided spoilers between seasons so I didn't know who would die. Abraham would have been a very safe choice, one that I think wouldn't merit the stunt that they pulled. Glenn was a much more significant death, although considering that was his fate from the comic books and the fake death they had for him (one that incidentally probably led to a lot of fans like me finding out about his comic book fate when I wouldn't have otherwise), it also wouldn't really have been great if it was just Glenn that died after going to such lengths to raise the tension over the question. Doing the double death with both of those characters was good though. Honestly for the first 5 minutes or so I genuinely thought that it would be Michonne that died, which was my pick for the boldest character to choose. No offence to Abraham, but considering that he was clearly showing that he was willing to take whatever Negan dished out, and since Rick has lost many "good soldiers" before, his reaction wouldn't really make sense if it was just Abraham that died. Abraham followed by Glenn makes more sense though.

I think that's exactly why Negan killed him. Abraham was a badass mo-fo who was also suicidal. He had nothing to lose and was clearly not afraid to be killed. I think Negan knew right away that Abraham would have ultimately been no use to him, probably inferring that he was a trained military guy who's already seen some shit and couldn't be broken. If anything, he was true opposition. If you looked down that line, with the exception of Carl, every other person besides Abraham was shitting their pants and/or crying. Those are the people Negan wants to recruit, not the ones that proudly look death in the eye like Abraham. He needs people that are terrified who can be manipulated and molded through fear. Abraham made it very clear that he would not be one of those people. Negan knew that he could never turn him into an asset.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2016, 07:07:15 AM »

I think that's exactly why Negan killed him. Abraham was a badass mo-fo who was also suicidal. He had nothing to lose and was clearly not afraid to be killed. I think Negan knew right away that Abraham would have ultimately been no use to him, probably inferring that he was a trained military guy who's already seen some shit and couldn't be broken. If anything, he was true opposition. If you looked down that line, with the exception of Carl, every other person besides Abraham was shitting their pants and/or crying. Those are the people Negan wants to recruit, not the ones that proudly look death in the eye like Abraham. He needs people that are terrified who can be manipulated and molded through fear. Abraham made it very clear that he would not be one of those people. Negan knew that he could never turn him into an asset.

Also notice that when they replayed Negan's eeny meeny miney mo from Rick's POV he kept jumping from person to person, not really going in order down the line. The game wasn't meant to choose the person, it was just to scare the hell out of everyone.
Negan knew when Abe raised his head(essentially volunteering to die) he was never gonna break this guy and that he needed to kill him.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2016, 08:51:10 AM »

good point and I'd say spot on. Even the small grin that Abe gave off on his close up in the episode the moment before he was whacked suggests that he was 'happy' to have been chosen. Either to have finally get the chance to meet death or in the fact that he knew it wouldn't be anyone else, but Abe did grin and his eyes had the look of relief.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2016, 08:50:31 PM »
Really enjoyed that episode. Very good intro to Eziekeil and The Kingdom. Cool idea he pitched to Carol as well. I thought they did more with his character intro than any to date as far as getting his story and attempting to endear us to him immediately. Worked for me.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2016, 08:51:46 PM »
....oh and, I thought the animation on Sheeva was really well done.