Author Topic: The JAWS & Sequels Thread  (Read 3660 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The JAWS & Sequels Thread
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2017, 10:59:51 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if we get another Jaws movie in the future, seems ripe for a remake given our movie remake culture.

Easier to just commission George Lucas to do a new edition to update the special effects and clean up some scenes.  The only issues I could anticipate with that would be the inevitable re-edit of the final scene to clarify that the shark, not Brody, shot first, and Billy Kinder's force ghost making an appearance alongside Yoda and Obi Wan.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2017, 11:00:35 AM »
I certainly wouldn't want it, but it just seems like something Hollywood would do.  Michael Bay would direct and there would be even bigger explosions than the one in the original.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2017, 11:02:44 AM »
I certainly wouldn't want it, but it just seems like something Hollywood would do.  Michael Bay would direct and there would be even bigger explosions than the one in the original.
Michael Bay should not be allowed to direct anything anymore

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2017, 11:19:41 AM »
The only way JAWS today would work is to set it in 1975.

Otherwise everyone would have mobile phones etc and it would be easy for Brody or Hooper to call someone for rescue.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2017, 12:33:33 AM »
The documentary on the making of Jaws is funny as hell. They couldn't even get the damned shark to work untill halfway into the shooting and then it could only go straight ahead. Nothing to do but sit around in the sun all day and get halfbaked. Oh well.  :biggrin:
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2017, 02:47:42 AM »
I don't think a 2017 Jaws movie would work really. The strength of the first one is the power of what you don't see, and how the unknown is more frightening than anything else. Once we get the payoff with the shark, that's great, but that's over an hour into the movie. I feel like with a modern Jaws they would go about it the wrong way. "We can do ANYTHING with effects these days" and we would see a CGI shark in the first 5 minutes of the movie. I guess it depends on who directs it, but getting that fear back would be hard I think.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2017, 07:42:16 AM »
I don't think a 2017 Jaws movie would work really. The strength of the first one is the power of what you don't see, and how the unknown is more frightening than anything else. Once we get the payoff with the shark, that's great, but that's over an hour into the movie.
Yeah, we KNOW it wouldn't work now, because that's exactly how the director of the most recent Godzilla film treated Godzilla, and tons of people bitched about it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2017, 07:53:21 AM »
Yea I definitely have little to no faith that a remade Jaws would work, but that doesn't mean Hollywood wouldn't attempt it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2017, 08:00:49 AM »
I don't think a 2017 Jaws movie would work really. The strength of the first one is the power of what you don't see, and how the unknown is more frightening than anything else. Once we get the payoff with the shark, that's great, but that's over an hour into the movie. I feel like with a modern Jaws they would go about it the wrong way. "We can do ANYTHING with effects these days" and we would see a CGI shark in the first 5 minutes of the movie. I guess it depends on who directs it, but getting that fear back would be hard I think.
That's true to a point, but that still doesn't mean they COULDN'T get it right.  Going back to The Shallows again, I think they pretty much got the shark reveal pacing about right, and it was definitely more along the lines of Jaws.  You got little glimpses here and there for the first half of the movie.  But you didn't really get full-on shark reveal until the second half.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2017, 08:23:35 AM »
Apparantly the shark in Jaws is on screen for a total of 4 minutes in a 2.5 hour movie.

Four. minutes.

To make up for that you had 3 great characters played by 3 great actors and teases / barrels etc.

I can't imagine a 2.5 hour shark movie these days where you see the shark for 4 minutes total.

- - - - - - - - - -

JUST FOR FUN

Who would YOU cast in a 2017 Jaws Remake *AND* who do you think a crappy Hollywood studio remake would cast ?

Who I would cast :

Chief Brody : Tom Hardy. Maybe he could be Hooper. I can imagine a remake casting some comic actor to play Hooper as comic relief and be all quippy like an Owen Wilson type.

Capt. Quint : Not sure about this one.. A remake would cast just some tough guy and old them up a bit. Michael Ironside ? Kurtwood Smith ? Liam Neeson ?

Hooper : Christian Bale ? Maybe too old. Dreyfuss was in his late 20s when he played Hooper.  Joe Gordon-Levitt ?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 08:32:12 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2017, 08:45:09 AM »
Capt. Quint : Not sure about this one.. A remake would cast just some tough guy and old them up a bit. Michael Ironside ? Kurtwood Smith ? Liam Neeson ?

Sam Elliott is the only correct answer.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2017, 08:47:44 AM »
The answer is Kurt Russell.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2017, 08:48:36 AM »
Yeah, he could probably pull it off well, too.  He can definitely do that salty role.  Good call.  But I'd still take Sam Elliott over him.

Online Adami

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2017, 08:50:26 AM »
I just have a hard time seeing Sam Elliott as that drunk, borderline going to murder you while you sleep type. He seems just wayyyyy too cool and not damaged enough.

Or we can go in a different direction.

Every character played by Adam Sandler. Shark played by Rob Schneider.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2017, 08:55:34 AM »
Just have the cast of the Ghostbusters remake do it.

Online Adami

« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2017, 08:57:43 AM »
Just have the cast of the Ghostbusters remake do it.

I actually started trying to imagine Billy Murray as Quint until I realized that you meant the new one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2017, 09:00:53 AM »
"Everything was fine with our system until the 'no swimming signs' were taken down by dickless here." [glances sideways at the mayor]

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2017, 09:16:03 AM »
I mean if they were to make a new one, I don't see someone like Tom Hardy as Chief Brody at all. I think more of actors like Jake Gyllenhaal or Tobey Maguire who has that more "normal" look to them. That's what was so great with the actors in the original, they looked like regular people doing their dayjobs, and I think someone like Tom Hardy would really stick out in that sense. To be fair my suggestions might be on the "too well known" side as well.

Online Adami

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2017, 09:19:53 AM »
How about a new reimagining with Hardy as Quint and Leo as Brody.

Shark attacks at the 1/3 mark, killing everyone except Brody who gets his left leg bitten off and torso severely bitten and left to die on a sinking ship miles off shore. The rest of the movie is him surviving, grunting, possibly being shark raped and then making it back to shore, guided by the bright lite of his 2nd Oscar.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2017, 01:10:38 PM »
Hooper: Alexandra Daddario

Yeah
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2017, 02:58:00 PM »
Jaws is a masterpiece. Only saw parts of Jaws 2, nothing of any other sequels. Never saw a Sharknado or whatever movie. The novel Jaws is a bit of a bore, though I read it after seeing the film several times.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2017, 03:01:39 PM »
Curiously - Quint is so called as he is the 5th person to die in the film...

But in the book - Hooper dies before Quint...So Hooper would be the 5th person...

I don't know anything about the book though. I know Hooper dies in the shark cage before Quint though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2017, 03:45:55 PM »
Curiously - Quint is so called as he is the 5th person to die in the film...

But in the book - Hooper dies before Quint...So Hooper would be the 5th person...

I don't know anything about the book though. I know Hooper dies in the shark cage before Quint though.

Wow, I had to look it up because that just seemed off to me.  From memory, it just seemed like a lot more than 5 died (6, if you count the dog). 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2017, 03:47:42 PM »
1. Chrissy.

2. Alex

3. Guy in the boat in the estuary

4. Head in the boat

5. Quint

And in the book Hooper but I don't know if any were added for the film.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2017, 05:49:37 PM »
Hooper: Alexandra Daddario

Yeah
A certain part of me wouldn't mind that choice.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2017, 11:58:59 AM »
I would second that opinion

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2017, 03:43:13 PM »
Whilte not a Jaws film, I noticed Deep Blue Sea was on Netflix and decided to re-watch it because it's been a while. I mean it's not an amazing movie by any stretch but I would say it's a genuinely entertaining movie. When you mix super-intelligent sharks with Thomas Jane, Samuel L Jackson, LL Cool J and Stellan Skarsgård, it's bound to be watchable at least.

Also Renny Harlin used to be a pretty solid director. Again, not amazing, but he had a run of some pretty decent sequels (nightmare on elm street 4, die hard 2) and I think this one and Cliffhanger are both very watchable, as well as Long Kiss Goodnight which I haven't seen myself but I know people mostly enjoyed. Not sure if he has done anything decent since Deep Blue Sea which is a bit of a shame.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2017, 03:45:16 PM »
Allegedly the 4 sharks in Deep Blue Sea all meet their fate in the same manner as each of the 4 sharks in the Jaws Movies.

One definitely gets electrocuted and the final one gets blowed up.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2017, 03:50:07 PM »
Also I know CGI ages badly but some of the effects were terrible. Makes me appreciate movies like Jurassic Park so much more. Talk about effects that still look impressive. (I know some shots in JP look dated but overall it holds up pretty good)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2017, 03:51:10 PM »
Yeah I thought the CG looked bad at the time.

The giant shark at the end looked like a cartoon.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2017, 04:04:18 PM »
Also I know CGI ages badly but some of the effects were terrible. Makes me appreciate movies like Jurassic Park so much more. Talk about effects that still look impressive. (I know some shots in JP look dated but overall it holds up pretty good)
Jurassic Park may have had the best special effects ever when it was released. So impressive.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2017, 04:17:02 PM »
Also I don't know if there's any truth to this at all, just me speculating. But I feel like with Deep Blue Sea, someone was really influenced by the Alien franchise and I felt a lot of Alien Resurrection in it. And it's possible because Alien Resurrection came out only 2 years before Deep Blue Sea. But a lot of the interior design of the facility feels very Alien-y, Resurrection also had some underwater scenes and then the whole climbing up the shaft on a ladder scene with a monster coming from the bottom. I guess Alien influenced TONS of horror movie but surprisingly I felt a lot of Resurrection in this which I honestly did not expect.  :lol But Resurrection had the similar setup of humans messing around with something they did not fully master and ended up with monsters on the loose hunting them down.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2017, 07:31:13 AM »
Jaws and Jaws 2 are great (the sequel less so, but still enjoyable).
Jaw 3 is pretty awful, it's watchable just about.
Jaw 4 is just woeful, it's completely deserves it's reputation as one of the worst movies ever.....which brings me to another question.

Jaw 4 or Superman 4 (Quest for Peace)?

Oh and 'Open Water' is a pretty decent Shark film.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2017, 06:55:40 AM »
Saw 'The Shallows' over the weekend, probably the best Shark movie I've seen since the original Jaws.