Author Topic: October Reading  (Read 679 times)

Offline NotePad

October Reading
« on: October 11, 2016, 09:53:59 AM »
October is the month I love to read horror novels. When I was younger it was always Stephen King I'd read this time of year, but now I search for other horror authors.

I'm a fan of Whitley Strieber. His new stuff is great and involves aliens and UFOs and stuff, which I love. But this time of year id recommend his older stuff which is more classic horror. I recommend Catmagic for a great Halloween read. I'm about to read The Night Church and it looks awesomely creepy.

I'd love to hear what other people like to read around Halloween. Or just what horror novels in general you're into.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: October Reading
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 12:41:57 PM »
Anything Lovecraft.  He was the grandfather of horror fiction. Clive Barker writes some really eccentric horror also.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 02:28:01 PM »
Can't beat Stephen King, that's for sure. I'm currently reading Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons and I'm really liking it. It's about psychic vampires. It's really long too

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 07:34:19 AM »
  I'm currently reading Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons and I'm really liking it. 

Holy crap, I read that back in the 80's! I don't remember anything about it, other than the human chess games.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline NotePad

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 10:23:41 AM »
I just tried reading Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury but just couldn't get into it. The writing is way too poetic for me, in a way that makes it hard to understand what's being said and going on.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 01:32:14 PM »
I'm a dual reader (a book for home, and a book for lunch and the train commute), and right now I'm reading The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King and re-reading Nothing to Lose by Lee Child.

Never been a big fan of horror, although I have read basically all of Anne Rice's novels. Personally, I think they mis-categorize those as horror though. I had never read a King novel until I picked up Gunslinger last month. Gunslinger was good, but I have mixed reviews so far for the second book.