Author Topic: Hurricane Matthew  (Read 1692 times)

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
Hurricane Matthew
« on: October 06, 2016, 03:48:31 PM »
Is anybody else effected by this? I'm in Jacksonville, FL, but I'm in one of the areas not ordered to evacuate. Not sure what to expect for my area exactly, but it doesn't look good overall.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: Hurricane Matthew
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 03:59:17 PM »
I grew up in Orlando, and I have family and friends all throughout the state. Im watching this storm very closely while enjoying the beautiful weather here in Southern California

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 04:21:00 PM »
I have friends who've evacuated from the Charleston area. They've basically been using it as a vacation, but most people aren't lucky enough to be able to do that.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 04:28:32 PM »
I live in Pompano. Ain't got much but some rain. Little windy. Still expecting it to get worse though.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 06:48:11 PM »
I live in the Tampa area so we are getting some rain, I have a few close friends in Daytona whom I invited to stay over at my place but they decided to ride it out.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 07:49:20 PM »
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 09:15:39 PM »

I'm in Orlando, and it's pretty much all out hysteria here right now. We had multiple hurricanes kick the shit out of us in 2004, and no one has forgotten it.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 10:19:53 PM »
The State has issued a curfew for Orange and Seminole counties until 7am on Saturday

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 10:27:48 PM »
Hm, that's weird. I'm on the coast too and we're getting perfect 75 degree weather.

Oh yea, I'm on the west coast.  :metal

Ugh that felt dirty since I hate it here.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 01:07:25 AM »

I'm in Orlando, and it's pretty much all out hysteria here right now. We had multiple hurricanes kick the shit out of us in 2004, and no one has forgotten it.

Well, given the fact that the storm just more or less flattened Haiti, I'd say the panic is understandable...
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 01:10:33 AM »
Good luck guys, I'll be thinking of you here in sunny Hawaii

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 02:23:50 AM »
Good luck guys, I'll be thinking of you here in sunny Hawaii
That recalls the chorus line in the Iron Maiden song " The Wicker Man" whichs sais; YOUR TIME WILL COME! 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 04:07:18 AM »
Looks like I dodged a bullet.  :hefdaddy

Now I have the urge to go listen to Brave New World.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 08:57:13 AM »
Waffle House has closed 25 of its restaurants in the area, so you know it's going to bad.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 09:07:07 AM »
Waffle House has closed 25 of its restaurants in the area, so you know it's going to bad.

When I lived in Atlanta (Duluth, technically) there was a Waffle House on the south bound exit of 85, and on the north bound exit.   Yes, two Waffle Houses (my brother calls them "Awful Houses") within about 300 yards of each other, so you didn't have to cross that pesky traffic to get your hash browns scattered, smothered and covered. 

(By the way, for those that don't know, Waffle Houses are notorious for being open regardless; I've heard people claim that organizations like the police, fire and FEMA use an unofficial "Waffle House Index" - how many WHs have closed, and how quickly they've opened back up - to gauge how bad a natural storm event is.)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2016, 10:27:19 AM »
The Waffle House Index is used by FEMA.  No shit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 01:12:16 PM »
Waffle House Index :rollin

But seriously - hurricanes are really no laughing matter. As a former Houston resident, stuff can go pear-shaped way too quickly. Y'all be safe out there.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 01:16:19 PM »
Stay safe, peeps!!  :)
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2016, 02:18:46 PM »
I don't live in Florida anymore, but almost all of my possessions are in Tampa.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2016, 03:39:35 PM »
Hm, that's weird. I'm on the coast too and we're getting perfect 75 degree weather.

Oh yea, I'm on the west coast.  :metal

Ugh that felt dirty since I hate it here.

Im definitely not a fan either. If it wasn't for the film and tv industry that I work in, I would NOT be living in LA

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2016, 08:54:33 AM »
I got pretty lucky, no real damage. I went for an early run, cuz my power was out all night and I slept for shit cuz it was hot and muggy. Did a few miles around my neigborhood to assess the damage. I got done and helped people cut up a whole free that was down across their driveway, and then helped disassemble half a downed free in a neighbor's yard, which was 4 times as much as the previous tree I broke down. I saw on the news though that the beaches had some REALLY BAD flooding.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2016, 09:32:03 AM »
I have a generator in Broward county (TO LEND) for any DTF members out of power.

EDIT:  fixed.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 10:01:11 AM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2016, 09:44:09 AM »
I'll take it... I still have power. But hey free generator.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2016, 10:28:45 AM »
 :facepalm:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2016, 02:44:17 PM »
It has rained all day here.  Lots of flash flooding around the Raleigh area.  Hell of a lot worse south and east of here. 

Offline Accelerando

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2016, 11:40:24 PM »
Now THIS is how you take on a hurricane  :metal

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2016/10/08/Florida-man-head-bangs-to-Slayers-Raining-Blood-during-Hurricane-Matthew/6421475933871/

PRAISE FLORIDA MAN!  On another note, I think I saw an article that stated that two guys from Jersey was driving down to Florida to experience the thrill of being near the hurricane or something like that.

Ahhh, here is the article.

https://www.nj.com/weather/index.ssf/2016/10/nj_teens_drive_1k_miles_to_get_a_peek_at_hurricane.html
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 11:50:39 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2016, 04:27:58 AM »
Meanwhile, google 'hurricane matthew florida damage pictures'.  Over $4B in damages.  Over 2M without power.  Up to 15" of rain in parts of GA, NC and SC, and Virginia is still getting its share.   

Along with the morons who just have to get from point A to point B
 https://weather.com/news/news/hurricane-matthew-south-carolina-update
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2016, 04:39:07 AM »
I evacuated Jacksonville to go home to New Orleans. 25 hours of driving during a 54 hour stretch and at one point I literally drove 7 miles during the course of an entire hour while already having to piss an hour before that. Couldn't get the right angle to pee in my Gatorade bottle either so I literally stuck my dick in it just to have the harrowing disappointment of knowing I was so close but still would have to hold it another 20-30 minutes.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2016, 05:37:40 AM »
Now THIS is how you take on a hurricane  :metal

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2016/10/08/Florida-man-head-bangs-to-Slayers-Raining-Blood-during-Hurricane-Matthew/6421475933871/

PRAISE FLORIDA MAN!  On another note, I think I saw an article that stated that two guys from Jersey was driving down to Florida to experience the thrill of being near the hurricane or something like that.

Ahhh, here is the article.

https://www.nj.com/weather/index.ssf/2016/10/nj_teens_drive_1k_miles_to_get_a_peek_at_hurricane.html

What a couple of imbeciles. It's all thrilling until your city is torn to shreds and you have to deal with the aftermath. I've dealt with hurricanes my entire life, and had damn good luck until 2004 with Charley. A tree fell on my house, was without power for a month, and had to stay in hotels. (which were incredibly difficult to find) There was also none of the hokey "community coming together during a time of crisis" crap you see news stations pushing after natural disasters, either. It was total cut throat and every man for himself.

So, yeah. All of the aforementioned tends to suck the whole "fun factor" out of it.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2016, 01:41:10 PM »
^^^Strongly agree.

Fortunately New Orleans had a fantastic team effort among those affected by Katrina but I'm with you on how stupid these dudes are. Media giving coverage to that is just dumb because it makes light of an imminently dire situation and it can also encourage many others who might live near the storm's path to drive into the area to have a look and the last thing you need is any more cars congesting the highway. That's one reason why contraflow is a decent idea since you have no choice but to stay the fuck out if both sides of the highway are forced to travel out of town.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon