Author Topic: Is it weird to fall in love with a character I created?  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
Is it weird to fall in love with a character I created?
« on: October 04, 2016, 06:38:25 PM »
Ever since my dearest girl passed away, I have been falling into this hole. Before, I loved to write. I loved to write fantasy/fiction stories. Like Harry Potter or Percy Jackson (my favorite character and favorite book series) I love writing about heroes who go and defeat evil gods or monsters. Recently, I've been going more into writing and I've created many characters for my book. There is this one particular character, I created, the protagonist's, soon to be girlfriend. I molded her from the start. As a 7 year old runaway to a 16 year old teenager girl, I've added a lot of details to her, with a lot of character development. I don't know why, but as I continue my story on and on, I feel myself drawing closer and closer to the character. I resembled her a lot to my girlfriend, so that may be one of the main factors. I've gone far as too seeing her in a dream. The details were near flawless and the dream was divine.

In the dream, I was convincing her to stay. It happened all too fast. She wanted to leave the group she was in to live her own life without any troubles. She wanted to be a regular mortal, not a "mutant."

(The characters in my story are all mythological beings. Not a human mortal, but from another universe and completely new genetics, but still looking like human.)

In my dream I was convincing her to not leave the group and man, I was begging hard.

It is creeping me out, developing feelings to a character I have created, a character that is no way, real. Is it weird, to fall in love like this?

And please don't judge me for falling in love with the character. I know it may disgust some of you, but please, I need help. These feelings keep growing stronger. I don't know what's wrong with me.
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Is it weird to fall in love with a character I created?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 11:44:05 PM »
I don't see any harm in that, being that she would be your ideal girl to be with. Its hard to find that in the real world, and rare. Sorry to hear about the loss of your loved one, I experienced the same thing just over a year ago. I dream of her all the time..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 01:42:33 AM »
I'd say you are pretty good at making up characters.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 01:54:43 AM »
I think that's a pretty normal process.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 05:04:20 AM »
:clap:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 05:28:23 AM »
You aren't alone. I think in the absence of love, something will take its place. It could be a television/movie character or one of our own making. I fell in love with one of my own creations. She was basically everything I wanted in a girl but didn't know if I could ever find in real life. I killed her off though, because she wasn't and would never be real. I find that my central characters are often women. They're obviously filling some void and I can write them however I want.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 05:29:01 AM »
You aren't alone. I think in the absence of love, something will take its place.

Coffee :hat  :heart

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 05:40:23 AM »
This is basically the premise of the Twilight Zone episode, A World of His Own. :blob: One of my favourites too.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 05:43:35 AM »
You aren't alone. I think in the absence of love, something will take its place.

Coffee :hat  :heart

So true.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 07:10:42 AM »
For my money, nothing is weird until you make it weird.   Meaning, recognize it for what it is, recognize the limitations of whatever it is you're talking about, and maintain perspective with the rest of your reality, such that it is. 

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 09:02:40 AM »
I don't see any harm in that, being that she would be your ideal girl to be with. Its hard to find that in the real world, and rare. Sorry to hear about the loss of your loved one, I experienced the same thing just over a year ago. I dream of her all the time..

I'm so sorry to hear that. I now understand what it truly means when people say life is precious. I have been sometimes neglecting life and not understanding the true value of life. Now I do, and that happened when the special one passed away. I am hating myself now for letting that happen. If maybe I had give life for appreciation, I couldn't stopped her...Anyways, thank you for your response.

Well, when I create a character, I don't just create them out of a blue. I plan everything out such as their history, their characteristics, etc. I try to make myself one with the character, to live with the character. I have scrapped so many characters and the characters I have right now are the characters I can truly understand and devoted my time too.

I think that's a pretty normal process.

Thank you. :)

You aren't alone. I think in the absence of love, something will take its place. It could be a television/movie character or one of our own making. I fell in love with one of my own creations. She was basically everything I wanted in a girl but didn't know if I could ever find in real life. I killed her off though, because she wasn't and would never be real. I find that my central characters are often women. They're obviously filling some void and I can write them however I want.

1) I just realized you had Alexandra Daddario as your profile picture. :)
Loved her acting skills in Percy Jackson.

2) I agree with all you said. Though, I'm afraid of killing her off, because then the story would be dead. ;)
I like how easy it is to create that perfect "character" in our minds and shower them with a lot of emotions, but in real life, such thing as that would be impossible. That's why I love the human mind, so incredibly resilient and creative.

This is basically the premise of the Twilight Zone episode, A World of His Own. :blob: One of my favourites too.

Huh, twilight zone? I better watch it, sounds pretty interesting.

For my money, nothing is weird until you make it weird.   Meaning, recognize it for what it is, recognize the limitations of whatever it is you're talking about, and maintain perspective with the rest of your reality, such that it is.

That is true. A lot of thoughts like: "This is so weird...." has only become because I proclaim to myself that it is weird. I will follow your advice. Thank you for it.
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 09:42:39 AM »

I'm a big fan of her "acting skills" too.  :) 

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 10:01:51 AM »

Sorry for being a complete dumbass, but is there a reason to put the parenthesis? Is it called acting skills? I meant to say she is a talented actor.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 10:10:10 AM »

Sorry for being a complete dumbass, but is there a reason to put the parenthesis? Is it called acting skills? I meant to say she is a talented actor.

Yes, and I was saying, basically, SHE'S HOT.  ;) 

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 11:03:06 AM »
I wasn't aware it was about if you should kill her off in the story or not. Having dabbled in writing a little bit myself, I'd say just follow the story.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 11:36:36 AM »

2) I agree with all you said. Though, I'm afraid of killing her off, because then the story would be dead. ;)
I like how easy it is to create that perfect "character" in our minds and shower them with a lot of emotions, but in real life, such thing as that would be impossible. That's why I love the human mind, so incredibly resilient and creative.

I haven't seen Percy Jackson...yet. I've only seen her in a couple of movies and a tv show. However, with her, that's all you need to get started.  ;)

You don't have to kill her off. She is your girl, your love. Make her dreams come true in your story. Make her everything you wanted her to be. I guarantee you'll spend a lot of nights crying over the words, but I think it'll be cathartic.  When it's done, I want to read it.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 11:54:18 AM »
Make her everything you wanted her to be.

Or if, as you say, you resembled her to your girlfriend, find ways to make her anything and everything that you know your girlfriend wanted to be.  That may or may not be the same thing PS just said, I'm not sure if the distinction makes a difference.  It is unfortunate that your girl's own story was so short, but you have the unique opportunity to write the rest of her story as you think it would have turned out.  Not everyone is talented enough to be able to do something like this, I know I'm damn sure not.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 12:06:14 PM »

Or if, as you say, you resembled her to your girlfriend, find ways to make her anything and everything that you know your girlfriend wanted to be.  That may or may not be the same thing PS just said, I'm not sure if the distinction makes a difference.  It is unfortunate that your girl's own story was so short, but you have the unique opportunity to write the rest of her story as you think it would have turned out.  Not everyone is talented enough to be able to do something like this, I know I'm damn sure not.

It's similar to what I said. That's why I also added, "make her dreams come true".  :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 12:07:33 PM »
^^^ Who logged into Coz's account?   I was expecting a link to a Steel Panther song.

No, I kid, of course, and seriously, I think he's really on to something profound there.   

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 12:20:15 PM »

It's similar to what I said. That's why I also added, "make her dreams come true".  :)

Exactly.  I didn't know if there would be any difference in saying make her what you wanted her to be or make her what she would've wanted to be.  Not trying to take away from what you said, of course.

I was expecting a link to a Steel Panther song.

:lol

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 03:32:20 PM »

Yes, and I was saying, basically, SHE'S HOT.  ;)

Yeah, she is pretty. :P

I wasn't aware it was about if you should kill her off in the story or not. Having dabbled in writing a little bit myself, I'd say just follow the story.

Oh, I wasn't going to kill her off and I'm sorry for confusing you. It isn't about killing her in the story or not, it was about how I felt very weird and dirty falling in love with my own creation. I regard dad's as a creator to their son or daughter and that thought crossed my mind. I came up with the character when she was 7 years old and I was 17. I am still 17 and she is already 16, so yeah. :)

I haven't seen Percy Jackson...yet. I've only seen her in a couple of movies and a tv show. However, with her, that's all you need to get started.  ;)

You don't have to kill her off. She is your girl, your love. Make her dreams come true in your story. Make her everything you wanted her to be. I guarantee you'll spend a lot of nights crying over the words, but I think it'll be cathartic.  When it's done, I want to read it.

1) Oh definitely. Been kinda following her after Percy Jackson.
2) I am going to do that. She is also kinda struggling with depression and suicide and the main character is trying hard to keep her from killing herself and it is working. And don't worry, I'll be sure to share it exclusively to you. :)

It was unfortunate indeed. This book is now my lifeline. You have a really smart idea. If I were to publish the book (which I highly doubt I would), then if I showered her with everything, it might throw off other readers. I guess we will have to see how it goes. Once again, thank you. :)
-Charles Caleb Colton