Author Topic: 2016-10-17 - Tilles Center - Brookvale, NY Cancelled? What happened?  (Read 6387 times)

Offline Lionheart1827

Just got an email today that the show was cancelled. Anybody know why?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: 2016-10-17 - Tilles Center - Brookvale, NY Cancelled? What happened?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 12:31:36 PM »
Low ticket sales?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 02:48:01 PM »
That would be my guess... Promoter probably couldn't take the risk of selling enough tickets in the last two weeks to justify the cost...

Offline Lionheart1827

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 04:21:49 PM »
Somebody asked on one of Dream Theaters Facebook post and they replied that it was an "Unfortunate scheduling  conflict."  I hope they can reschedule.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 10:13:36 PM »
Somebody asked on one of Dream Theaters Facebook post and they replied that it was an "Unfortunate scheduling  conflict."  I hope they can reschedule.
Isn't this the second cancelled show?

I probably shouldn't speculate about the reasons. I'm not there and it's not my business. If I had to put money on something, "an unfortunate scheduling conflict" six weeks after tickets went on sale loses out to "ain't nobody buying tickets" by about three furlongs, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 11:54:13 PM »
Ticket sales on the current leg have been pretty poor. Just look at the upcoming shows for the next few days on ticketmasters. So many free seats. I wouldn't be surprised if even more shows are cancelled...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 12:24:26 AM »
I don't want to look too much into this, but I sense some irony. People are always asking them complaining about why they don't come to (insert city). They decide to add some places that have been missed on recent tours and this is what happens. I feel bad for them actually.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 06:45:07 AM »
I don't want to look too much into this, but I sense some irony. People are always asking them complaining about why they don't come to (insert city). They decide to add some places that have been missed on recent tours and this is what happens. I feel bad for them actually.

This was pretty much my thought too. There's a reason they only tend to hit particular spots in the US consistently.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 08:19:59 AM »
I see your point, but there are two problems there. For one, the show(s) cancelled are within close proximity to cities they've already been. Port Chester and Greenvale might as well be repeat shows. It's not the fans' fault for not paying to see them a second time. Moreover, they're playing a show of limited appeal. If they were playing a standard format show this would be a different matter. The Dallas show isn't selling all that bad under the circumstances. It'd be selling much better if it weren't a 90 minute TA performance, though.

Sadly, we said in the other thread that this would likely hurt their future tours, and that's looking more true than ever. This was just really ill-conceived.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 08:55:04 AM »
From the beginning i didn't really get the sense of all of these dates.
I mean, the first US leg went quite well, not enough though to explaing all these dates for a second leg.
I get they've tried to push TA as much as they could, they've invested a lot on the show and the production of the album and of course DT isn't a charity organization. They've taken the risk, kudos to them for that.
But yes, this's gonna hurt them for the future. A lot.

p.s. they did something really clever (though a bit unfair for the fans) for the first European leg, and it worked.
Now they did exactly the opposite. Why?

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 08:56:38 AM »
p.s. they did something really clever (though a bit unfair for the fans) for the first European leg, and it worked.

What's that?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 09:04:42 AM »

What's that?
I'm not sure what he's going to get at, but I've seen "clever but unfair to the fans" on this tour. There have been some dates that appeared to be the one regional appearance, only to have a show an hour or two away go onsale 2 weeks later. My hunch is that plenty of Corpus Christi people bought tickets for the San Antonio gig because "who the hell plays Corpus Christi!" Then the show gets announced and they have to make new plans that might include buying tickets to the CC show. I recall some people stumbling across this up in the NE area, and if I'm not mistaken this is Hef's situation, as well.
E.F. Benson

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 09:24:21 AM »
I'm not sure what he's going to get at, but I've seen "clever but unfair to the fans" on this tour. There have been some dates that appeared to be the one regional appearance, only to have a show an hour or two away go onsale 2 weeks later. My hunch is that plenty of Corpus Christi people bought tickets for the San Antonio gig because "who the hell plays Corpus Christi!" Then the show gets announced and they have to make new plans that might include buying tickets to the CC show. I recall some people stumbling across this up in the NE area, and if I'm not mistaken this is Hef's situation, as well.

Ah gotcha. I guess that's what you get when they try to hit a bunch of random smaller markets and stagger the tour date announcements.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 09:30:05 AM »
This 2nd US leg seems like a huge failure.

I think if the band even just said they would do an encore of non TA song/songs then the shows would sell more.

I get targetted ads on facebook for the NJ show and the comments are all negative. 

I defended the band on the first go around and even enjoyed the show for the most part, but this second leg is just a bad decision by the band.  They should be more aware of what the fans want and forcing TA down people's throats doesn't help. 

I do hope the fans come back when they do another tour and they don't permanently lose fans because of this.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 09:44:59 AM »
I was thinking that too. Play The Astonishing in its entirety, allow people to have their phones out, and then give us a 30 minute encore consisting of 3-5 songs.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 09:50:35 AM »
I was thinking that too. Play The Astonishing in its entirety, allow people to have their phones out, and then give us a 30 minute encore consisting of 3-5 songs.
From a pool of 10 songs and they sell a shit-ton of seats by selling people on multiple shows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 10:11:45 AM »

What's that?

The first, and by now only, European leg worked this way:

- TA wasn't out the moment they've announced the opening of sales for the shows
- Plus, there was a brief moment where was clear that the album was going to be played in its entirity, but not that it would have been just that - something that JR cleared up, but a couple of shows were already on sale
- They choosed just a bunch of cities (like London, Oslo, Amsterdam, Paris, Milan and Stockholm) and one date per city - except for Paris where were 2 from the beginning
- When they were close to sold out each date they start adding more dates in the same venue. So Milan ended up having 3 nights, Oslo 4, Amsterdam 3, and plus they added more city in some solid markets (such as Germany)

This was the first time i've seen DT adopting a smart and updated ticketing strategy.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 10:17:06 AM by DreamerTV »

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 02:59:11 PM »
I'm getting a bit nervous about the Columbus show. It's been on sale a few weeks, but there are so few seats taken on the Ticketmaster site. There are sections where not even a single seat has been sold  :(

https://www.ticketmaster.com/dream-theater-presents-the-astonishing-live-columbus-ohio-11-05-2016/event/0500512EFAD05146?ab=reloaded
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 03:54:18 PM »
Damn, that's gotta be the worst one yet. I hadn't checked that show as I figured Ohio would do just fine. The show in Lakewood, whereverthehell that is, is selling decently well. Looks like they might have just overdone things in Ohio. Also, that show went on sale more than a month after Lakewood and Toldeo, which hurts sales for it quite a bit. Something I've hit on in other posts.

In any case, yeah, there might be another unforeseen scheduling conflict for that one and Toledo.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 04:18:13 PM »
That map  :omg:

Oh man, that is sad.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 04:26:23 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 01:04:46 PM »
I fault them for adding too many east coast dates in cities that are really close to each other.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 01:20:09 PM »
I fault them for adding too many east coast dates in cities that are really close to each other.

I think there are a few reasons for this. That's one of them.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2016, 08:39:01 AM »
This tour for many was a tough sell to begin with. Having a second leg was unnecessary. They should have left well enough alone and moved on to what comes next.

This project was a guilty pleasure and a risk to begin with. Playing an album like this one and only the album was even more risky.
I love the album (cause I'm a homer i admit) and I loved the show
BUT
I really look forward to the next normal tour.

DT is about a 45 minute drive from me tonight in Port Chester. On a normal tour I'd be there, but I really don't need to spend the money for my wife and myself to see it a second time.
(even though its killing me cause I do want to see them again regardless)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 05:58:12 AM by Tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2016, 05:27:46 PM »
I'm at the show in Port Chester right now. It's 50 minutes from me. I was originally planning on going to the Tilles Center show, which is 15 minutes from me (and basically in DT's backyard) lol.  Actually I'm not really surprised it was cancelled. I was kinda shocked to see it on the schedule to begin with.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2016, 05:43:00 PM »
I'm at the show in Port Chester right now. It's 50 minutes from me. I was originally planning on going to the Tilles Center show, which is 15 minutes from me (and basically in DT's backyard) lol.  Actually I'm not really surprised it was cancelled. I was kinda shocked to see it on the schedule to begin with.

I was so close to picking up a ticket and heading there, but I changed my mind.

Offline Lionheart1827

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2016, 03:22:45 PM »

Yeah I was there last night, too. Drove all the way from central LI, it was worth it imo. Labrie's voice has been really good lately! With that said, I'm  glad I was able to see them this tour, but I'm looking forward to a more traditional show next time!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2016, 08:50:46 PM »

Yeah I was there last night, too. Drove all the way from central LI, it was worth it imo. Labrie's voice has been really good lately! With that said, I'm  glad I was able to see them this tour, but I'm looking forward to a more traditional show next time!

Absolutely worth it, killer show. And the Capitol theater is a great venue. Very intimate.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2016, 04:10:01 AM »

Absolutely worth it, killer show. And the Capitol theater is a great venue. Very intimate.

There was so much energy in that venue from HoTV all the way through to the end. Great show.

Offline Lionheart1827

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2016, 08:18:39 AM »

Definitely!

Though I was pissed because I missed most of JPs solo in A New Beginning because some guy was on his cell phone. Two ushers then were standing right in front of us blocking our view. So annoyed.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2016, 08:30:01 AM »

Definitely!

Though I was pissed because I missed most of JPs solo in A New Beginning because some guy was on his cell phone. Two ushers then were standing right in front of us blocking our view. So annoyed.

That solo was nuts. I think it went longer than the first two times I saw it. My girlfriend was in awe. She had never seen anything like that before. The band definitely fudged it toward the end and extended it after the recovery.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2016, 10:30:11 AM »
There have been some dates that appeared to be the one regional appearance, only to have a show an hour or two away go onsale 2 weeks later. My hunch is that plenty of Corpus Christi people bought tickets for the San Antonio gig because "who the hell plays Corpus Christi!" Then the show gets announced and they have to make new plans that might include buying tickets to the CC show. I recall some people stumbling across this up in the NE area, and if I'm not mistaken this is Hef's situation, as well.
Not really.  They did announce a Charlotte date well after the Durham date, and I already had Durham tickets.

But Durham is the preferred location for me, so I didn't get hosed by that one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2016, 11:39:22 AM »
Was the Port Chester show well attended?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2016, 11:49:04 AM »

It wasn't terrible. I was on the balcony and couldn't see below, but I'd say the balcony was 65%-70% full.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2016, 01:30:25 PM »

It wasn't terrible. I was on the balcony and couldn't see below, but I'd say the balcony was 65%-70% full.

I was rear orchestra behind the soundboard.  I'd say ORCH was at about 70-75%.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2016, 06:38:30 AM »

So then similar to the Oakdale?