Author Topic: Anyone here use imgur? I need some help  (Read 859 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Anyone here use imgur? I need some help
« on: September 30, 2016, 10:50:19 AM »
imgur used to be a nice, simple image-hosting place where I could upload pictures and then post them on DTF.  Now they've fucked with the interface so much that I no longer have any idea what's going on.  Are they trying to make it some kind of social network?  Because obviously we don't already have enough of those.  Fucking YouTube and even Google now want you to log in, create an account, have people follow you... why?  Apparently I don't just upload images now, but "post" them.  I went into imgur one time and people had commented on images I'd uploaded just so I could add them to posts, and people left stupid comments like "Why?"  They didn't understand why I'd posted these images to imgur, I guess.  Well fuck, I wasn't "posting" them to imgur for their amusement, I thought I was just uploading them so I could post them here.  Get the fuck out of my imgur.  This is not a fucking social network.  Or maybe it is, but fuck that, I don't care.

Anyway, end rant.  I wanted to add some images to an album.  I went to that album, and I uploaded the images.  It created a new "untitled" album and didn't touch the original.  I looked, and I actually have four or five "untitled" albums, each with the one or two images I'd uploaded at the time, thinking they'd go into the album I was "in" at the time.  Nope.  imgur created new "untitled" albums each time, instead of adding them to the album I was in.

So I try to move the images into the albums where they belong, because I'm anal like that, and I can't fucking figure out how.  There's an option to "add or remove images" once you're on that album.  I can click on that option, but it doesn't do anything.  Like, literally nothing.  Just to check, I clicked on some of the other options ("rearrange images", etc) and they work, but "add or remove images" doesn't.  I click, nothing happens.

Actually, I clicked on "rearrange images" and it said if I wanted to do that, I first need to remove them from the gallery.  What the fuck is "the gallery"?  Is that why people comment on images I've uploaded?  Because they're in some kind of gallery?

Nothing in life makes sense anymore.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Anyone here use imgur? I need some help
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 10:55:49 AM »
If you go into settings, you can change the default album privacy to hidden, so that will stop random people seeing it, but you can still freely link the album or individual images wherever without any problems. You can change this setting for individual albums by clicking the settings icon in the corner and choosing "change settings".
That "add more images" button works for me. It's supposed to bring up a window to add images (obviously). Maybe your browser doesn't support it. What are you using?
I think you're right that the gallery is when they're posted publicly, which you don't need to do. That happens when you click the "share to community" button.
If you go to "images", it will show you all of your images all together without viewing an album, then you can select them and there's an option on the side for "move to album". Never tried it that way myself, but that might work for you.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 11:05:30 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 11:35:29 AM »
Thanks!  I'll try it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 12:36:28 PM »
I honestly never thought of imgur as your traditional picture hosting site, but I guess it really is when you think about it, just that it does have that social aspect of it (which is what I always just thought it was used for).

While I spend my downtime at work on DTF, my coworker spends his downtime on imgur.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 12:39:56 PM »
I honestly never thought of imgur as your traditional picture hosting site, but I guess it really is when you think about it, just that it does have that social aspect of it (which is what I always just thought it was used for).

While I spend my downtime at work on DTF, my coworker spends his downtime on imgur.

It's a lot more than just image hosting, but it is also great for just that use. I only signed up for image hosting, but have on too many occasions disappeared into a time black hole just browsing through the front page. I've only shared one of my own things once though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 12:43:36 PM »
 :lol at the black hole. It's true, you can really get sucked into the front page.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 02:42:25 PM »
I never realized it was anything but an image-hosting site until recently.  I don't know; maybe it's because I'm not the type to go "Let's see what kind of random crap other people out there have uploaded lately".  I noticed all these other recent uploads on the front page, but the only time I go to imgur is to upload stuff, so I rarely browse through it.  Sometimes if there's a hot babe, I'll check out the picture, then get on with my life.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 02:46:13 PM »
I never realized it was anything but an image-hosting site until recently.  I don't know; maybe it's because I'm not the type to go "Let's see what kind of random crap other people out there have uploaded lately".  I noticed all these other recent uploads on the front page, but the only time I go to imgur is to upload stuff, so I rarely browse through it.  Sometimes if there's a hot babe, I'll check out the picture, then get on with my life.

The stuff that makes the front page isn't really just peoples random pictures, it's usually memes people create or gifs.  It's mostly funny stuff.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 03:02:55 PM »
I'm sure it's entertaining.  Generally, I have to be looking for entertainment, which means I'm in the mood for it and have some time to waste, for it to work.  Otherwise, "I don't have time for this" is always in the back of my mind, so I tend not to get sucked into black hole.  I went there with a specific purpose in mind.

Unless there's hot babes, of course.